Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Introducing the Hollowjack Crown Crate Season & Giveaway!"

• CrucifiedGenesis
    CrucifiedGenesis
    Soul Shriven
    So in 2017 I had seen the Halloween crates previewed and I had been incredibly excited. While I do not have much money and such things are difficult for me, I had saved up enough crown gems to almost buy an Apex Mount and I was eager to get a Halloween one.

Then when it was released, I found out for the first time in your Crown Crate history you had introduced RNG-only drops in this Real Money Gatchapon system (which is by the way illegal in several countries and is gambling that baits and exploits people who are mentally ill and is by proxy ableist and classist at once.)

I was so disgusted and devastated that you would make such a money-hungry, ableist, classist, exclusionist move that alienated me, a loyal customer who has played since early beta, because I lived in poor conditions and did not have much money, that I unsubscribed from your monthly and quit your game entirely. Because I do not support a real money gatchapon system when I should be able to gradually and diligently work towards anything I want, not just throw buckets of real life money I don't have at you for a tiny chance while being buried in worthless junk that I can't even trade in (Mounts cannot be liquidated, etc. In prior crates I've gotten apex mount drops I hated and didn't want which is B S , and I would gladly give them away to anyone who wants them but OOPS can't have people helping each other can we?)

I've married since then, and moved. Only recently I have I felt my disgust with your toxic practices subside enough to be able to play again without feeling actively conscious of how bad you burnt me. My wife even bought me one of your grossly overpriced houses that you put up for an equally shady practice of a low time frame. I wondered if you had learned from last year. And here we are. I knew better than to get my hopes up, because you did the same crap again. I see you put last years in for gems but all I can think about when I look at it is the gross thing you did and are doing.

So I guess I'm going to continue avoiding, because as someone with a neurological disorder that these business tactics love to exploit, I'm self aware enough to not enable you to take once-loyal players like me for granted.

It's not entitlement. It's toxicity , gambling, and practices literally illegal in several countries due to the toxic and abusive impact it has on society. In any GAME you should be able to put continued effort, no matter how much or little, towards something for an eventual guaranteed goal. I used to PRAISE them because of the Crown Gem system until they pulled this stunt last year. Yet Unlike basically every other MMO I play, they don't even let you farm the shop money in-game.

They don't deserve to demand an unlivable amount of a paycheck for a "maybe". They don't even want to listen to the players, or entire systems of government for that matter. So why do they deserve my money much less my respect?

Oh and even funnier is how many hoops I had to jump through to even be able to post this criticism. Because I joined in early beta I never got my forum key so when I wanted to complain last year I couldn't and I was so heartbroken I was too depressed to fight for my forum key. This year I was just made mad enough that I got it out of spite.

I expect this will be deleted later and I'll be 'warned' like every other thin-skinned online company does these-days when their paying customers say something they don't want to hear.
    Respect your people or your people won't respect you.
  • Haenk
    Haenk
    ✭✭✭✭
    They don't deserve to demand an unlivable amount of a paycheck for a "maybe".

Their game, their rules. Not your game, your rules.
    If you don't like their rules, you are free to leave or not to buy anything they offer.
    All of the (absurdly overpriced, I can easily agree) store items are (maybe except the DLCs) absolutely *not* needed to play the game. As in "these are pure luxury items".

• Tai-Chi
    Tai-Chi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Radiance wrote: »
    Bring back the Black Cat with the Red Ribbon!!!

The Black Cat was a limited edition Valentine's day, Crown Store special 2 years ago and not a Witches Festival special.
    PC - EU (Main) & PC - NA
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ravenarc wrote: »
    Why is there no ESO plus free 6 crates event? If this is the replacement for that mechanic then I'm extremely disappointed. First the 100k gold replacement for this month instead of more free crates and not to mention the full 30 days cycle.

I'm telling you people. If you keep biting this, we'll get less & less free stuffs and even more paid gambling in the future. As you can see, we can already feel the effects. They've already put more exclusive stuffs at a higher gem price inside RNG gambling.

They usually do the 3 crate giveaway at the start of the crate season, and and ESO+ 6 crate event later in the season.

The Dragonbone crates had both, a 3 crate giveaway at launch and an ESO+ 6 crate event after the anniversary event.

Psijic crates had both, 3 crates at launch, and an ESO+ event in, July, was it? Can't remember.

Anyway, before you panic, we'll probably get another ESO+ event before these crates go away. But the launch of the crates is usually a 3 crate giveaway over a weekend, so there's nothing unusual about not having an ESO+ event right now.
  • GaunterODim
    GaunterODim
    ✭✭✭✭
    Finally... the treasure hunter outfit. It will finally be mine.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Interesting that the zombie horse and masks that were holiday store items the last 2 years are now in the crates. I'm guessing there will be new holiday items in the store this year, though I don't really care for spooky stuff.

All in all I'm not interested in this season. I don't buy crates anyway, but I can save my free gems for the next season. I doubt ZOS will be as generous with free crates moving forward as they were with the Psijic ones.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyway, before you panic, we'll probably get another ESO+ event before these crates go away.

The January '18 ESO+ trial included the Flame Atronach crates, so if they follow the same schedule the promotion will cover the next season of crates and not Hollowjack.

Real Money Gatchapon system

You can only use a virtual currency to obtain Crown Crates. Please refer to the TOS about virtual currency, including the fact that it has no real monetary value.
    signing off
  • Hoolielulu
    Hoolielulu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The three free ones will be as far as I go this time. I got seriously boned the last time I bought crates. If you're going to dangle a carrot at least give people a nibble.

That chicken tho...
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When do we need to log in and kill the stuff?I can't seem to access the page that tells me when.
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acrolas wrote: »
    Real Money Gatchapon system

You can only use a virtual currency to obtain Crown Crates. Please refer to the TOS about virtual currency, including the fact that it has no real monetary value.

If actually tested in any court case, that will hold as much water as an upside down bucket since they sell that "virtual currency" directly for money.
    The ONLY chance they would have is that the items you use that virtual currency on are not directly paid for by real money, but that's only if there is a legal loophole for that since anybody with any ability to recognize "cause and effect" will see that it is close enough to direct.

Anyway, you don't want to argue whether or not it has "real value" unless you really want to bring in the inevitable "is it exploitative/illegal" discussion in this. The correct answer to the post you quoted, if you wanted to avoid that discussion, was the ignore the post completely, just like the developers do and anybody with any public relations experience will do when they say "no comment" to a direct easy to answer question.
    Edited by Mystrius_Archaion on September 15, 2018 8:04AM
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If actually tested in any court case, that will hold as much water as an upside down bucket since they sell that "virtual currency" directly for money.

They rent the service lease to exchange the virtual currency for in-game items for money.

I know the most common counter-example is that you're allowed to sublease an apartment you're renting, but that's not accurate. You're only legally allowed to sublease an apartment if the lease explicitly permits you to. A lease that doesn't mention subleasing is not permission to sublease.

Everything in the store is a rental, and ZOS is explicit that we don't own the crowns and we don't own the items redeemed with crowns. Buying crowns is giving consent that you understand and accept these lease terms.

But it'll never be tested in court because we all agree to section 15 of the TOS, so it's all a bit irrelevant.

The correct answer to the post you quoted, if you wanted to avoid that discussion, was the ignore the post completely, just like the developers do and anybody with any public relations experience will do when they say "no comment" to a direct easy to answer question.

I don't represent ZOS so if I want to shut down a post filled with misleading emotional bait with a few actual facts, I can.

signing off
  • Rattlesnark
    Rattlesnark
    Soul Shriven
    General feedback on event announcements:
    For the major events/festivals, you send letters to players informing them of it. Could the same please be implemented for the small ones such as these "kill one monster per day" ones that provide free goodies? Otherwise, perhaps a message in the 'announcements' tab in-game?

I boot my game up via Steam, so I miss the launcher window and the announcements posted on it. Would be a big plus if it were announced in-game as well!
  • Reistr_the_Unbroken
    Reistr_the_Unbroken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daedric skull looks amazing and I want it- but no way is it worth 100 gems
  • Girl_Number8
    Girl_Number8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The gem only pet makes some sense. We've been getting a lot of free gems from twitch and monthly rewards and they want to remove some of that from the system. Seems ok to me.

Except 2/3 of their player base has been excluded day one from the twitch rewards. Seems pretty crappy in the end if you ask me.

Awesome~ I couldn't agree more with you~
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course I missed another one, Crappy 2 day heads up and it was not on my launcher Thursday, last time I logged in.

Only seems fit I missed this, first three days I haven't played in 3+months. Ah well no need to log in until Murkmire as there are no more crates in the daily rewards this month. I think its about time for a break.

Edit: didn't get an email heads up either. Only reason I checked here today is to see if the Psijic Villa had been released yet.
    Edited by Casdha on September 17, 2018 1:44PM
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And how and when I'll get this 3 free Hollowjack crates?

Today I've got 2 mails, that said I've got 1 Ouroboros crate (so 2 in total) as Twitch reward.
    Greetings
    You've successfully redeemed a code for The Elder Scrolls® Online. We're applying it to your account now! Your receipt and further details can be found below.
    Redemption Receipt
    Ouroboros Crown Crate
    Code : ...
    Congratulations! You’ve received an Ouroboros Crown Crate as a Twitch Drop. You can access your new crate from the Crown Crates menu in game. To earn additional rewards, keep watching drop-enabled ESO streams on Twitch!

So I'm curious now
    Edited by SilverWF on September 17, 2018 4:29PM
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SilverWF wrote: »
    And how and when I'll get this 3 free Hollowjack crates?

"You'll be rewarded with a new crate for every day you participate (up to a max of three), and you'll receive your earned crates by Wednesday, September 19. That’s the day before they’re available in the store. You will be able to find your free crate in your Crown Crates menu."

signing off
  • shiningforce
    shiningforce
    ✭✭✭
    Some things look interesting but nothing really great. The Mounnts imo are pretty plain, should have had mounts with pestilence skin falling off with flys around them or skeletons with ghostly figures that trail bones behind them....... The Netch is WAAAY too expensive, I think I'll pass at 300, I could see a 100 gem item on that but no more. The Gems on things are becoming way too expensive as well, at this rate ill probably hold off on the loot crates seeing as though I got screwed the last time I bought crates, 8 of the exact same card i got last time....... Honestly I think Belgium has something with the gambling on loot crates BS. I want to know what I am paying for.
    -- It is easy to be a Jerk Online; what do you win? Being Kind people remember you, help you, befriend you and you feel good too.
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the last 3-4 occasions I've cleared a fishing hole or three haven't turned up a single Pyandonean bottle, and given I don't think I ever got a motif out of any bottle anyway, I'm tempted to cash in my Resplendent Sweetroll to get the remaining missing motif pages before they're gone...
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017Proud member of the Aetherium Alliance.Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • Kolache
    Kolache
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    300 crown gems for an 'exclusive' pet netch? What a waste.

It's a cute pet

haha yeah... totally... who would pay for that?.... >.>
    Something being unbalanced in 1v1 does not imply that it is balanced in group play.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does the Daemon Cockerel do anything special? I'm assuming it has some twist a la the devil goat, at 100 gems and that name...
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Marshall6268
    Marshall6268
    Soul Shriven
    Am i the only one who noticed that the Daemon cockerel does not display the red glow coming out from eyes?
  • severuscrowley
    severuscrowley
    Soul Shriven
    The only thing i had remote interest in was the Hallowjack Netch pet...but to make it gems only?? Why do you keep finding ways for us NOT to throw money at you, if this were crowns i'd be all over it, but i refuse to ever buy into gambling crates. So much for my favorite season to buy items.

• MrGraves
    MrGraves
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only thing i had remote interest in was the Hallowjack Netch pet...but to make it gems only?? Why do you keep finding ways for us NOT to throw money at you, if this were crowns i'd be all over it, but i refuse to ever buy into gambling crates. So much for my favorite season to buy items.

Is there even any way to buy the netch at all? I dont see an option in the store to buy it (with gems)

Or did I miss something....
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose it is poetic that a great crate seasons is followed by what I'd consider the worst. In the interest of providing the marketing team with some feedback, I'd like to make clear what it is that I don't like about this crate season as this is the only season yet that I will not buy a 15 pack of.

Why in bloody Mara's name is Halloween - a secularized Pagan holiday - being inserted into the Elder Scrolls Universe?

I get it. I get that secular Halloween is popular in English speaking countries, particularly the United States. I get that it has now become the second biggest seasonal cash cow in terms of wasteful expenditures and consumer spending. You want to cash in on that too. I get it. But between Reaper's Harvest last year and the more overt imagery in Hollowjack this year (come on - headless riders with Jack'o'Lanterns?!), it needs to be said that this is pushing over a line. I don't want to see this again next year. I don't want to see this become a trend any worse than it already has. I mean, you could have structured all this around existing lore while still paying a nod to secular holidays in the apparent world. Instead, we have candy emotes, pumpkin carving emotes, and other crap that really shouldn't have been put in this game. Why not expand on the actual lore of the Witches Festival from Daggerfall?
  • mateosalvaje
    mateosalvaje
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how much longer this season will be available? I have a ton of gems saved from free crates, but I don't want to spend them until I know I won't be getting any more free rolls of the dice :wink:
    I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again.