The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

New player question - buying the game

VisualDeadlock
Hi all,

I would be a totally new player to ESO and have a few questions that I wasn't really able to find the answer for, even in the new player guide.

1) Confused as to what I would be purchasing. The ESO website says to buy ESO Summerset which includes the base game. So, this means, the Vanilla ESO game and the Summerset expansion? I assume the Morrowind expansion that was released previously, is not included?

2) Can I just get the base game and purchase the Summerset expansion later if I like the game?

3) Do I want to get the Morrowind expansion, or is it totally outdated now, and does not effect me getting to max level and doing current end game content?

4) Is it worth while to get a subscription? Also, I notice all these DLC packs, many of which say free with ESO plus. Is ESO plus the subscription plan?

Thanks for any help.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You’re on the right track, @VisualDeadlock ... buying Summerset includes the base game so you get both out of the gate.

However, Morrowind is a DLC as of early June. Therefore, you’d have to subscribe to ESO+ or buy the DLC outright.

I’d recommend ESO+, however. The perks are good and they will soon be upping the crowns received for being a subscriber (Update 20; Murkmire - October).

Morrowind does have plenty of content ... some 30 hours if you include the Main Quest, Morag Tong side quest, and Telvanni side quest. If you ever played ES:III Morrowind it has a very good nostalgia factor.

All content is scaled ... so level is not an issue in 95% of the game.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d suggest subscribing. The perks are worth it if you will play regularly.

Summerset can be purchased later and we can make a good guess that it will become a DLC in a year but some items separated out to be separate crown purchases.
  • keevil111
    keevil111
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would say to buy the base game outright. It's really cheap and, as was said, there is a lot of content to get through. There's the main quest, fighters guild questline, mages guild questline, and about a thousand side quests all over. All the main crafting(Jewelry Crafting is in Summerset), PVP in Cyrodiil, and Battlegrounds(4x4x4 PVP). Along with a slew of 4 man dungeons with quests for all of them. ESO+ and the expansions are fantastic but not necessary to really immerse yourself starting off.

PS4 NA
  • Kaymorolis
    Kaymorolis
    ✭✭✭
    Can you even buy the base game without Summerset?

If so, I would suggest you buy the Summerset base and for your first character get away from Summerset and back to your alliance's main quest line. It's not entirely intuitive, but I think there is a how-to over in the Guide forum.
    PC | NA
    CP: 240+
    Tai'Zar - 50 Bosmer Stamblade
    Annatar the Fair - 50 Altmer MagSorc
    Rules Through Fear - 50 Argonian Templar
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    keevil111 wrote: »
    I would say to buy the base game outright. It's really cheap and, as was said, there is a lot of content to get through. There's the main quest, fighters guild questline, mages guild questline, and about a thousand side quests all over. All the main crafting(Jewelry Crafting is in Summerset), PVP in Cyrodiil, and Battlegrounds(4x4x4 PVP). Along with a slew of 4 man dungeons with quests for all of them. ESO+ and the expansions are fantastic but not necessary to really immerse yourself starting off.
    Yes, eso+ start to shine then you get to cp160 and start to collect gear and perhaps craft seriously.
    Now you need storage space and you get lots of content with it.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,

I would be a totally new player to ESO and have a few questions that I wasn't really able to find the answer for, even in the new player guide.

Welcome. Hope you like it here.
    1) Confused as to what I would be purchasing. The ESO website says to buy ESO Summerset which includes the base game. So, this means, the Vanilla ESO game and the Summerset expansion? I assume the Morrowind expansion that was released previously, is not included?

Correct.
    2) Can I just get the base game and purchase the Summerset expansion later if I like the game?

believe you can. I would get both unless buying separately is really much more cheaper.
    3) Do I want to get the Morrowind expansion, or is it totally outdated now, and does not effect me getting to max level and doing current end game content?

It's not outdated at all. All the quests are still relevant and if you want the Skyshards (that help you get more perks) you might want that. Also it's great nostalgia if you have played Morrowind. If not it depends if you want the extra skill points and quests. Otherwise it's not really needed.
    4) Is it worth while to get a subscription? Also, I notice all these DLC packs, many of which say free with ESO plus. Is ESO plus the subscription plan?

I can't say what is worth for you or anyone else. For me it's worth it. All the DLC, Morrowind INCLUDED with the ESO+. Also you get the Crowns (eso currency) with the game as well. The big thing for me is because I am a hoarder and playing everyday now, it's what about 50 cents a day to get the UNLIMTED BAG for ingredients you pick up and DOUBLE bank and housing space. I can't play without it now.
    Thanks for any help.

I hope this really helps. Just be AWARE though, that Morrowind included with the ESO+ subscription you still don't get the class of Warden. That needs to be bought separately now.
    Edited by Davor on September 2, 2018 10:52PM
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"