Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Suggestion: Flying Mount Solution

Unknown_Redemption
Unknown_Redemption
✭✭✭✭✭
Suggested Item:
New Collection Tab: Flying Mounts

Item Function:
Allows the player to travel for free, at all times, to a known wayshrine.
  1. Using the mount triggers a visual mount and liftoff, similar to a momento, then enters a zoning screen.
  2. Upon finishing the zoning process, the player lands near the wayshrine with a second visual effect prior to dismounting.

Item Limitations:
  1. Upon activating the mount, your player is rooted.
  2. May not be used in combat.
  3. Porting to another player activates the current mundus visual; as they may be inside a dungeon where a flying mount can't reach.

Reasoning:
ESO's environment is not built for free flying exploration.
Allows the possibility for exciting drops and rewards from in-game content.
Allows the possibility for revenue growth with crown exclusive mounts.
Removes the outdated and trivial cost of teleporting to wayshrines.
Easy to implement.

Community Added Ideas:
Although the player will see both the visual takeoff and landing, the landing should be client side only.
  • This is to prevent large amounts of visual traffic and noise.
Flying mounts may be placed inside a home to be used as a way to travel out.
  • This should have a unique Furnishing Category and only available in Notable Homes.
Possible Mounts and Gateways
  1. Bull Netch; Ancestor Moth; Ancient Cliff Strider; Infused Bone Dragon; Gargoyle; Gryphon; Reborn Sunbird
  2. Psijic Portal; Mage Portal; Daedric Portal
C331qJw.jpg

Special thanks to:
ZOS_Holden; SidewalkChalk5; SilverIce58; TheShadowScout; Kuramas9tails;

Edited by Unknown_Redemption on September 2, 2018 5:22PM
  • Micah_Bayer
    Micah_Bayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But why not just ride to a wayshrine that takes less than a minute wherever you are? Then travel to another wayshrine for free.
  • Unknown_Redemption
    Unknown_Redemption
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But why not just ride to a wayshrine that takes less than a minute wherever you are? Then travel to another wayshrine for free.

Chances of getting into combat.
    Chances of getting caught if you have a bounty.
    Clicking M and selecting a destination is faster.
    Having a flying mount is a status symbol.
  • ZOS_Holden
    ZOS_Holden
    Community Rep
    Hi there @Unknown_Redemption,

Thanks for the suggestion! Flying mounts as a way to use Wayshrines, or status symbol, is a very fun and interesting idea. Unfortunately, we can't guarantee your idea will make it into the game. That being said, we really appreciate the time you took to share your idea with us and hope you will continue share any other feedback or suggestions you may have for us in the future.
    Staff Post
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Suggested Item:
    New Collection Tab: Flying Mounts

Item Function:
    Allows the player to travel for free, at all times, to a known wayshrine.
    1. Using the mount triggers a visual mount and liftoff, similar to a momento, then enters a zoning screen.
    2. Upon finishing the zoning process, the player lands near the wayshrine with a second visual effect prior to dismounting.

Item Limitations:
    1. Upon activating the mount, your player is rooted.
    2. May not be used in combat.
    3. Porting to another player activates the current mundus visual; as they may be inside a dungeon where a flying mount can't reach.

Reasoning:
    ESO's environment is not built for free flying exploration.
    Allows the possibility for exciting drops and rewards from in-game content.
    Allows the possibility for revenue growth with crown exclusive mounts.
    Removes the outdated and trivial cost of teleporting to wayshrines.
    Easy to implement.

C331qJw.jpg

Make it a Dragon.
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reminds me of my first ever Pidgey: evolved it to Pidgeot, taught it HM02 Fly
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • CyberSkooma
    CyberSkooma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't think flying mounts will ever be implemented into ESO simply because of all the instancing. That being said they can always have ground mounts that look like they're flying.

EDIT: I re-read your post and now understand how you want it to function.... eh. I mean I guess it would be cool, and there's no reason *not* to have a function like this, but I think we may be able to find a better alternative.
    Edited by CyberSkooma on August 31, 2018 4:36PM
    I play this game a little bit I guess
  • CyberSkooma
    CyberSkooma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (redacted. accidentally quoted myself.)
    Edited by CyberSkooma on August 31, 2018 4:36PM
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a great idea! It’s how the giant bugs in Vvardenfell should work. There should be a short animation of you sitting in the bug chair and a short animation of it coming to halt at the next tower.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Vain
    Vain
    ✭✭✭
    I like this a million times better than what world of Warcraft did. I also like how it's different from how guild wars 2 has done it even though I love the guild wars 2 mount design generally better than the ESO design (it doesn't take 90 days to max level each character's mounts in GW2 - it's faster and account wide).
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Holden wrote: »
    Hi there @ Unknown_Redemption,

Thanks for the suggestion! Flying mounts as a way to use Wayshrines, or status symbol, is a very fun and interesting idea. Unfortunately, we can't guarantee your idea will make it into the game. That being said, we really appreciate the time you took to share your idea with us and hope you will continue share any other feedback or suggestions you may have for us in the future.
    ZOS...responded to a suggestion thread?

Holy crap
    Valrien Dravic -- Level 50 Dunmeri Sorcerer (EP)
    Garahel Dravic -- Level 50 Bosmeri Nightblade (EP)
    Tamriel Unlimited was a mistake. One Tamriel was a bigger mistake
  • Cronopoly
    Cronopoly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want the actual taxi rides NOT between all wayshrines however, only semi-long trips. Say the top of Auridon to the bottom. Maybe to Skyreach.

It would be nice if the destination had something of worth...Not just a bridge to nowhere.
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cronopoly wrote: »
    I want the actual taxi rides NOT between all wayshrines however, only semi-long trips. Say the top of Auridon to the bottom. Maybe to Skyreach.

It would be nice if the destination had something of worth...Not just a bridge to nowhere.

Similar to Chocobo rides in FFXIV?
  • Unknown_Redemption
    Unknown_Redemption
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi there @Unknown_Redemption,

Thank you very much for the response, it is appreciated! There is no question that the art team in ESO loves what they do and this would give them a new platform to have fun with.
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to see a carriage that rides around each of the provinces like in Archeage. It could stop at or near a wayshrine if its on the road, and you could jump on and ride it to wherever the next stop is. I get that the provinces aren't that big, but it could be helpful to the newer players whose mounts aren't as trained as the rest of ours are.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't imagine flying mounts (thematically) able to make trans-dimentional hops to or from zones like CWC, Coldharbor or Arteum, but it's a cool idea otherwise. Personally, I'd prefer to be able to make a different "dimension door"-type animation when porting, the way some NPCs create portals. Magic Carpets might also be cool.

Note that you might need a second mount slot, one of which would be for faster local travel, especially in Cyrodiil, so this would require a lot more coding than you might think.

Removing the gold cost is probably not going to happen - perhaps there could be some other sort of benefit to a "flying" mount instead?
    Edit: adding an additional cutscene before and after the load screen is already quite a cost (time delay) to the player, so might give you a 186gp discount on each port? This would make the first one "free", but you might still have to pay a lot of you make additional ports in quick succession.

Although using a flying mount cutscene and "porting" to a wayshrine would fit in much better with existing game mechanics, I would really prefer the ability to use a "flying mount" to travel to chosen points anywhere on the map (Excluding Cyrodiil of course), closer to my destination, perhaps, than a wayshrine. The downside might be that you have to DEPART from specific locations - can't just whistle them up out of the air, as it were, but instead your mount has to be "stabled" at an "airport" equivalent.

Edit: Note that it would be broken if "flying" mounts allowed you to quickly and easily discover all wayshrines and points of interest in a new zone. It should either take about the same time as riding around at max mount speed, or cost a lot (i.e through the increasing teleport costs). Likewise, thematically, you should not be able to "fly" into delves and underground locations - although you could still port to guildmates and friends in those locations.
    Edited by Pyr0xyrecuprotite on September 1, 2018 9:07AM
  • Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what if a bunch of people are landing in the same city wayshrine? Will you just see other peoples effects all the time? Or would they fade in like way shrines because that's a hefty animation for a laggy game already. I would imagine the sound effect would get really annoying (like when people are continuously going through a door).
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
    • Freddycruz89
      Freddycruz89
      ✭✭✭
      Valrien wrote: »

Holy crap

Yes. They do that sometimes when people are actually constructive.

I personally love OP's Idea! I would prefer the impossible flying exploration, but as a role-player I will 100% settle for this which is reasonably doable. <3
      Octavius Maximus, Founder of The Maester' Order
      PS4 NA. Role Player. Housing Fanatic. Part Time Achievement Hunter.
      | Princely Dawnlight Palace |
    • otis67
      otis67
      ✭✭✭
      I'm against flying mounts in general, but I like this idea. I think it would be a cool thing for the game.
    • idk
      idk
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      It makes no sense to call it a mount if it’s just a load screen.
    • CyberSkooma
      CyberSkooma
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Vain wrote: »
      I like this a million times better than what world of Warcraft did. I also like how it's different from how guild wars 2 has done it even though I love the guild wars 2 mount design generally better than the ESO design (it doesn't take 90 days to max level each character's mounts in GW2 - it's faster and account wide).

Everyone knows that ESO has the worst mount system ever implemented in an MMO :pensive:
    • Unknown_Redemption
      Unknown_Redemption
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I can't imagine flying mounts making trans-dimentional hops to or from zones like CWC, Coldharbor or Arteum, but it's a cool idea otherwise. Personally, I'd prefer to be able to make a different "dimension door"-type animation when porting, the way some NPCs create portals. Magic Carpets might also be cool.

Note that you would need a second mount slot, one of which would be for faster local travel, especially in Cyrodiil, so this would require a lot more coding than you might think.

Removing the gold cost is probably not going to happen - perhaps there could be some other sort of benefit to a "flying" mount instead?

Although using a flying mount cutscene and "porting" to a wayshrine would fit in much better with existing game mechanics, I would really prefer the ability to use a "flying mount" to travel to chosen points anywhere on the map (Excluding Cyrodiil of course), closer to my destination, perhaps, than a wayshrine. The downside might be that you have to DEPART from specific locations - can't just whistle them up out of the air, as it were, but instead your mount has to be "stabled" at an "airport" equivalent.

The could add a Coldharbor Portal above the player when porting to CH
      They could add a Psijic Portal above the player when porting to Artaem
    • CHBanger
      CHBanger
      ✭✭
      Really nice idea, a very creative and unique approach.

Why not treat them like a regular mount though? You could ride them around like you do a ground based one, but if you do a quick travel to a Wayshrine while mounted you would get the flying off animation instead of the teleport animation.
    • Sevn
      Sevn
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      CHBanger wrote: »

Why not treat them like a regular mount though? You could ride them around like you do a ground based one, but if you do a quick travel to a Wayshrine while mounted you would get the flying off animation instead of the teleport animation.

Ooh, I like that too!
      There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
      -Hemingway
    • Cpt_Teemo
      Cpt_Teemo
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Wonder if its possible for them to make gliding mounts instead of pure flying like Gw2
    • Unknown_Redemption
      Unknown_Redemption
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      CHBanger wrote: »

The idea for them being more like a momento is so they can be.... large. A bone dragon or a gryphon mount would be 5-10x the size of your character.
    • Unknown_Redemption
      Unknown_Redemption
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      So what if a bunch of people are landing in the same city wayshrine? Will you just see other peoples effects all the time? Or would they fade in like way shrines because that's a hefty animation for a laggy game already. I would imagine the sound effect would get really annoying (like when people are continuously going through a door).

Great question, the port out / lift off visual would be seen by all. The phase in / landing, would just be seen by you.
    • Valrien
      Valrien
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭

Holy crap

I personally love OP's Idea! I would prefer the impossible flying exploration, but as a role-player I will 100% settle for this which is reasonably doable. <3

I never see it, no matter how constructive (keep in mind, being constructive is not just being positive all the time. You can complain/say ZOS did something wrong and still be constructive)
    • Unknown_Redemption
      Unknown_Redemption
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy crap

I never see it, no matter how constructive (keep in mind, being constructive is not just being positive all the time. You can complain/say ZOS did something wrong and still be constructive)

I have thrown a few suggestions out, that was my 1st response. I am glad they read the forum for player suggestions and send them to the development team.
    • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
      Pyr0xyrecuprotite
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      BTW, if ZoS developers ever look into using the teleport system as a way of implenting pseudo-flying mounts, I strongly recommend that they include (into the base game) something like the EasyTravel or Luminary Teleporter addons, which show all the zones that you can teleport to for free, based on your online friends and guildmates. (Ideally, free teleport zones should be highlighted on the map).
    • Leocaran
      Leocaran
      ✭✭✭
      Holy crap
      Yes, that's a sight.
      Ofc, it's just a cosmetic thing which could be sold in a Crown shop.