The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Jumping should cost stamina!!!

DeathLordOfDeath
Jumping should cost stamina many players do nothing but jump with no cost. Is there a reason jumping has no stam cost? I'd like to know.
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there a reason jumping should have a stam cost? I'd like to know.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it should cost stamina, but it should have some drawback. Perhaps if you're hit at all while mid air, you are automatically knocked down? Jump casters would be at a massive disadvantage at that point, constantly getting interrupted and crowd controlled. It would essentially cost you stamina (to break if you get knocked down) but there would be no cost to those that want to jump in open non combat areas at all. Players would be encouraged to be less spazzy and fight with their feet on the ground more.

There would be downsides such as the near impossibility of crossing a defended breach that requires jumping to enter, but that might just be a defensive advantage.
    Edited by redspecter23 on August 31, 2018 3:14PM
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure why I should be punished for jumping over a little pebble because ZoS made it so I can't simply walk over it.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• keevil111
    keevil111
    ✭✭✭✭
    OP is right. Jumping Should cost stamina. Didn't it cost stamina back in TES III Morrowind?
    PS4 NA
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jumping should cost stamina many players do nothing but jump with no cost. Is there a reason jumping has no stam cost? I'd like to know.

Argument: Jumping should cost stamina.
    Reason: Many players do nothing but jump.

Rebuttal: Jumping should not be changed.
    Reason: Why is many players jumping an issue?
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not understanding why it's an issue. I see bunny-hoppers in Cyrodiil on a regular basis, and from what I can tell, hopping doesn't save them from getting hit at all. Sometimes I kill them in mid-air :smile:
    PS4NA
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »

Some players find jumping players annoying and/or hard to target. Why do players feel the need to jump if they also don't feel there is any strategic advantage to doing so? If there is truly no advantage and they do it only out of habit, then their game would not be negatively effected if there was a cost associated with it. If however, there is a tangible advantage to be gained by constantly jumping, shouldn't there be some cost to do it?
  • Arkangeloski
    Arkangeloski
    ✭✭✭✭
    Walking should cost stamina.
  • Shinshadow
    Shinshadow
    ✭✭✭✭
    Due to Tamriel's potentially toxic atmosphere towards stamina builds. a mythic respirator should be used to breathe in game and cost magicka. #MakeTamrielBalanced
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Apache_Kid wrote: »
    Is there a reason jumping should have a stam cost? I'd like to know.

It’s probably the same reason bunny hoppers seem to magically get away in shooters.

It jacks with targeting and hit boxes. Jump casting is probably the biggest benefit.

I see this mostly with Sorcs running Engine Guardian. Jump casting and Movement is important to them so you target their automation instead.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    jumping shouldnt cost stam

-you can still hit them easily
    -its harder for them to jump cast than it is for you to stand and cast
    -jumping doesnt avoid AOE
    -If someone is jumping and i hit them with javelin their body goes that much further
    -imagine for a sec your getting focused by 2 players in battlegrounds your playing a mag character, you have near full health but running low on stam from blocking. your moving to LoS and capture that relic your carrying. just as your about to make your escape- *gast* a 6inch stick bars your path. all is lost

and yes i know- "pop a potion". pretend i already did to get immovable. "ward up". pretend im playing heavy armor magdk and dont use shields. "mist form then". pretend im not a vampire. "heal through it". maybe im not a magplar.

or... i suppose i should die to 6in. stick yes?

disclaimer- i dont jump cast

Scipio Numantia Red guard Nightblade PvP- AD
    Scipio Asiaticus Khajiit Nightblade (CRAFTER/DPS) PvE- EP
    Altmer Nightblade PvP- EP
    Fueoculto Breton Templar (DPS) PvE- EP
    Rasoculto Orc Dragon Knight PvP- EP
    Caethus Argonian Templar (HEAL) PvE- EP
    Vale Oso Nord Sorc (DPS) PvE- AD
    Sir-Galahad-the-pure Altmer Sorc (DPS) PvE- EP
    Scipionumantine Imperial Templar PvP- EP
    Un-bearable Imperial Warden PVP- EP
    Vale Bear Altmer Warden PvP- EP
    Baits-All-Zergs Argonian Dragon knight PVP- DC
  • keevil111
    keevil111
    ✭✭✭✭
    Logging off w/o dropping group should cost gold...and stamina.
    PS4 NA
  • vonScuzzman
    vonScuzzman
    ✭✭✭
    Jumping doesn't cost stamina because it is so much easier than sprinting. ;)
    XBox One NA
  • What_In_Tarnation
    What_In_Tarnation
    ✭✭✭✭
    How about swimming? I wanna see people drowned.
  • HansaBergen
    HansaBergen
    ✭✭✭
    Stacking shields should cost stam!! You get tired in hands doing that over and over..
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »

Some players find jumping players annoying and/or hard to target. Why do players feel the need to jump if they also don't feel there is any strategic advantage to doing so? If there is truly no advantage and they do it only out of habit, then their game would not be negatively effected if there was a cost associated with it. If however, there is a tangible advantage to be gained by constantly jumping, shouldn't there be some cost to do it?

Much better argument.

Reasons: It can be annoying to some, there would have to be a cost to something that gives an tangible advantage.

Rebuttal: Jumping should not cost stamina.
    Reasons: Annoyance is entirely player based and subjective. I am annoyed by tanks, but tanks play well within the rules of eso and have a legitimate function.

The much better and more fortified argument you make is that jumping either does or does not give an advantage. If it does not, making it cost stamina is pointless; why punish something that may, to some, be visually displeasing?

Jumping does give two primary advantages, and and two unquantifiable advantage. Firstly the unquantifiable ones, as they are easiest to defend. It both irritates people, and gives you a cadence you can use to remind yourself of cooldown times. The former is a "soft taunt", psychological warfare. People focus you if you bunny hop like a mad hatter, and that can be useful if you intend to draw people away from groups into killzones (*DON'T CHASE THE SORC*). The latter is simply a compensation technique. It could be achieved by having a metronome or clock tick each second. It also serves no quantifiable advantage over just counting in your head.

Now for the two very real advantages of bunny hopping. Momentum conservation and situational awareness. The former describes a phenomenon where if you are stunned while mid jump, your character will continue moving until "landing", making CC less effective at arresting your position. The latter describes a half gimmick, half useful use of jumping to maintain forward momentum while observing the battle around you. You can quickly scan around for enemies tailing you or if your group is staying on crown.

The former is not a problem to me because being stationary is not the purpose of a hard CC. Indeed, some CC even cause movement (knockback and fear are good examples). When you want to arrest someone's movement, snares and roots are much, much more effective and time after time have stopped jumpers long enough to force them to roll out. Even while jumping, CC gives the advantages it advertises: your enemy will not be able to cast until they *expend stamina* to break free or the ability expires.

The latter is just good situational awareness that could also be accomplished by briefly toggling autorun or holding w/forward on left stick while using freelook.

My opinion: Jumping costing stamina would be overkill. If you're annoyed by hoppers use hard CC and root or snare them: they will stop long enough to get good hits in.
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    keevil111 wrote: »
    OP is right. Jumping Should cost stamina. Didn't it cost stamina back in TES III Morrowind?

So did jogging. You want to walk everywhere?
    PC/EU DC
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sprinting does cost stamina.

• Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »

I'm talking about your base move speed, a jog, not sprinting.
    PC/EU DC
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

And don't forget that magicka didn't regenerated without potions, sleeping or a certain birthsign iIrc.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zenimax, please make jumping have a High Stamina Cost.
    Making it so we can only jump 2 times and it will Empty out our stamina Pool.
    for me and many others watching people jumping during a fight with them in PvP is just taunting and irritating and disturbing and completely removes the idea that we are fighting and makes it feel like we are just being taunted and laughed at especially people that seem to take no damage. just jumping and jumping and jumping, no real fight happening.
    destroys the immersion.
    please make it so they cannot do this during pvp.

Edited by Gilvoth on August 31, 2018 4:28PM
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The base moving speed, whether walking or jogging, cost no stamina. Moving faster then base movement speed does cost stamina. It doesn't manner what you want to call it.

• Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The base moving speed, whether walking or jogging, cost no stamina. Moving faster then base movement speed does cost stamina. It doesn't manner what you want to call it.

I'm talking about Morrowind. The person I replied to said jumping cost Stam in Morrowind so it should in ESO. Jogging "not just sprinting" cost Stam in Morrowind iirc so I'm wondering if he wants that too.
    PC/EU DC
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

TES III: 2 movement modes: walking and X (call it jogging, sprinting, whatever)
    -walking (slowest speed) didn't cost stamina
    -X (faster) cost stamina

ESO: 3 movement modes: walking, X (faster), Y (fastest)
    -walking (slowest) with no cost
    -X (jogging/running/etc) with no cost
    -Y (sprinting) costs stamina

By going with the TES3 argumet I must ask: why should the medium tier (read: everything faster than the slowest movement form) don't cost stamina?
    Edited by Chilly-McFreeze on August 31, 2018 4:01PM
  • Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So should my mount jumping also cost stamina?

I don't see how making it cost stamina would benefit the player base, PVE and PVP wise.
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
    • Enkil
      Enkil
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Then they would need to fix of the silly numerous minuscule things that block line of sight (LOS) even though there is a clear view from characters field of vision to target. I doubt they’ll fix that, so just gonna have to accept the jumping. Maybe you should try it too. it’s fun!! >:)
    • zeroIndex
      zeroIndex
      ✭✭
      Jumping should take the entire stamina bar and if you're magicka you'll need to invest points into stam or you wont have enough stam to jump. This might actually balance the game. Actually, they should just remove jump from the game because it really gets in the way of combat. I mean, I'm already pushing other buttons so adding another one for jump is just too much to keep up with. Maybe they should make jumping stone items that allow you to jump. Make it where you can only have a stack of 3 jumping stones because, well, inventory is pretty overpowered these days.
    • GDOFWR420
      GDOFWR420
      ✭✭✭✭
      Just no. :#
    • Evergnar
      Evergnar
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      GDOFWR420 wrote: »
      Just no. :#

^just this.
    • The_Brosteen
      The_Brosteen
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Making a nerf jumping thread should delete your characters, many players aren't as good as others and end up making ridiculous nerf threads, is there a reason why making a nerf jumping thread doesnt delete your characters?
    This discussion has been closed.