Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

will this graphics card run eso on high settings without issue? how much fps?

• glamorousskies
    Kyosji wrote: »
    Feimerdre wrote: »
    I gave you every answer on that question before.
    It is pretty obvious that you did not understand what I was saying.
    This has nothing to do with being snobby or offending.

you said it could demand to much power cause my psu doesn't support it. How could it demand too much power if i have enough power. makes no logical sense. "hey man you can't buy that with 4 apples it takes 3 apples you understand now?" that is what you are saying

glamor, if I'm reading this right, you are using the following:

AMD Phenom II x6
    studio xps 7100 main board
    6 BG of RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 5670
    and a 460w PSU?

This is what I see wrong with this. Your system is a pre built Dell store brand PC. With that, your hardware is pretty proprietary for your system, and it will be running at Dell level quality, which is pretty bad (They've gotten in trouble with this multiple times, Google it). That means your systems specs may look pretty nice on paper, but if you really look at it internally you will realize the following:
    -The processor is a low wattage bottom barrel version of what it could be.
    -The memory is a cheaper quality brand
    -The video card is built on to the main board. With it being this way, it uses shared memory with your main systems memory. If you spent the extra money for the video card upgrade, they probably placed a low wattage card in there (Everything depends on how much you spent).
    - Your power supply is only 460W. True, at lower wattage, power supplies have a higher efficiency, but 460W PSU is LITERALLY just enough for your system without pushing it to the edge. Your CPU itself takes between 95w and 125w, and your main board with the GPU chip can take around 100-200w, and then you have to factor in your memory, your optical drives, and your hard drive. You're pushing it right there.

If you go and buy a new video card, it WILL push your system over the edge and it will do 1 of 2 things. It will constantly shut your system down, or your system will stutter itself to the point you want to break it.

If you get this graphics card, I highly suggest, no, IMPLORE you buy a better power supply.

Also, your new video card WILL require more power, so it needs the dedicated power from the PSU, that is what the 6 pin is. They DO sell converters that make 2 4-pins into 1 6-pin. They aren't expensive, and most times the video card will have one come with it.

Again, I seriously doubt your PSU can handle the new video card. I suggest you upgrade that as well.

if the video card says it needs 300 watts and i have 460 thats enough right? my friend said they take into consideration the other parts when recommending the wattage on a card? so i should be fine? especially because these cards im looking at are considered low end correct?

• Frosthawk
    Frosthawk
    ✭✭✭
    I'm using 3770k 3,5ghz & GTX Titan everything maxed but some times there small lags/bugs droping fps to low as 35 for short moments if there is a lot of population or there in towns and particullar areas not loading correctly in first place causing sudden fps drop but usually it's between 60 to 100 driver version might be reason for thisor Dxtory what I'm using for recording and fps testing.
    Edited by Frosthawk on April 4, 2014 12:13PM
    EU - Adlmeri Dominion
    Sanquin's tester
  • Yankee
    Yankee
    ✭✭✭✭
    the specific graphics card i am looking at is a 6 pin graphics card. It states on the site it requires 300 watts. My psu has 460 watts. Doesn't that mean there will be no issue obviously? even if my power supply has a 4 prong. The prongs wouldn't matter because it has more then enough watts logically, correct?

I have worked on computers for a living for over 20 years, and this is just my opinion;

I would not put a GPU with that kind of potential maximum power demands on a 460 watt PSU sir. Given the demands of the CPU and peripherals plus that card, you are taking the risk of not having enough power. That will cause stability problems if it occurs.

My GTX-690 does not draw 300 watts but I still run 1000 watt PSU to be safe.

Power supplies are just not that expensive compared to the CPU/GPU. That is assuming Dell did not use some custom sized PSU.

Also, if you put a fan cooled higher end graphics card in, pay attention to case cooling. Especially if it is a small case. Those cards run warm while gaming and if you overheat it will cause crashes, or even possible damage to the card.

Edited by Yankee on April 4, 2014 12:23PM
  • Yasha
    Yasha
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am assuming you have the Dell studio xps 7100?

If so this website suggests the r7 260x will work with your rig. I would ring Dell to double check. : http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&sku=a7272922

• Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    I gave you every answer on that question before.
    It is pretty obvious that you did not understand what I was saying.
    This has nothing to do with being snobby or offending.

you said it could demand to much power cause my psu doesn't support it. How could it demand too much power if i have enough power. makes no logical sense. "hey man you can't buy that with 4 apples it takes 3 apples you understand now?" that is what you are saying

glamor, if I'm reading this right, you are using the following:

AMD Phenom II x6
    studio xps 7100 main board
    6 BG of RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 5670
    and a 460w PSU?

This is what I see wrong with this. Your system is a pre built Dell store brand PC. With that, your hardware is pretty proprietary for your system, and it will be running at Dell level quality, which is pretty bad (They've gotten in trouble with this multiple times, Google it). That means your systems specs may look pretty nice on paper, but if you really look at it internally you will realize the following:
    -The processor is a low wattage bottom barrel version of what it could be.
    -The memory is a cheaper quality brand
    -The video card is built on to the main board. With it being this way, it uses shared memory with your main systems memory. If you spent the extra money for the video card upgrade, they probably placed a low wattage card in there (Everything depends on how much you spent).
    - Your power supply is only 460W. True, at lower wattage, power supplies have a higher efficiency, but 460W PSU is LITERALLY just enough for your system without pushing it to the edge. Your CPU itself takes between 95w and 125w, and your main board with the GPU chip can take around 100-200w, and then you have to factor in your memory, your optical drives, and your hard drive. You're pushing it right there.

If you go and buy a new video card, it WILL push your system over the edge and it will do 1 of 2 things. It will constantly shut your system down, or your system will stutter itself to the point you want to break it.

If you get this graphics card, I highly suggest, no, IMPLORE you buy a better power supply.

Also, your new video card WILL require more power, so it needs the dedicated power from the PSU, that is what the 6 pin is. They DO sell converters that make 2 4-pins into 1 6-pin. They aren't expensive, and most times the video card will have one come with it.

Again, I seriously doubt your PSU can handle the new video card. I suggest you upgrade that as well.

if the video card says it needs 300 watts and i have 460 thats enough right? my friend said they take into consideration the other parts when recommending the wattage on a card? so i should be fine? especially because these cards im looking at are considered low end correct?

You have to take in account the other items your power supply is running. I doubt the card is using 300 unless you over clock it, but it could run about 200 or so. So if your graphics card takes 200 watts to power, and your processor takes 100, and your main board takes 50-150, and your optical and hard drives takes 25-50 each (these numbers are not true to life exactly, but just to give you an idea), your system is now using 375 - 500 watts. Your power supply is 460w, so you get my drift on that?

Also, no power supplies actually run at the wattage they list. They have 5 different efficiency grades for power supplies. 80Plus, 80Plus Bronze, 80Plus Silver, 80Plus Gold, and 80Plus Platinum. I won't go into detail on what each one means, you can Google them if you like, but basically a PSU will have a grade on them letting you know up to what % the efficiency is. Lower quality PSUs may only run at 80% efficiency. That means that if you had a 460W PSU that ran at 80% efficiency, you would only get a stable 368W out of it. Anything higher and it becomes unstable. The higher end Platinum levels run at around 94% efficiency, which means that the 460W PSU would actually be stable up to 432W, anything higher and it becomes unstable.
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    Yasha wrote: »

If so this website suggests the r7 260x will work with your rig. I would ring Dell to double check. : http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&sku=a7272922

If his current graphics card is actually on-board video, then he would STILL run into power problems. Your main board will still have to power up the on board video AND the one installed on his PCI 16x, even if you have the on board disabled.
  • Feimerdre
    Feimerdre
    ✭✭✭✭
    This guy does not want us to tell him all those things.
    He just wants that someone says buy card XY and use an adapter and you will have 40 fps on high. This discussion is becoming hazardous for my health.
    I am out of it. Sorry.
  • Yasha
    Yasha
    ✭✭✭✭

If his current graphics card is actually on-board video, then he would STILL run into power problems. Your main board will still have to power up the on board video AND the one installed on his PCI 16x, even if you have the on board disabled.

I am pretty sure he has has a Dell studio xps 7100. The site I linked to shows a product Dell sells (R7 260) which Dell says it is a compatible upgrade for his computer. All he has to do is double check with Dell and he is set.

Everyone's advice is spot on, however, lets not make it too complicated. Its just changing a GPU. It looks like he doesn't have enough money to build a new rig so the R7 260 is probably the best card that can run in his current set up and will definitely run the game better than his current card.

It seems a decent buy as long as he can confirm with Dell that the card is good to go on his system as advertised on the Dell site.

Of course, if you have the money I would recommend building your own rig from scratch- or buying a rig from a store that specializes in gaming computers (not Dell).

Even though that card looks like it will technically run fine in your rig, in practice you will probably get overheating issues, causing computer shut downs and slower performance when you game for an extended period. Also it is old so parts are going to start breaking down at some point- like the PSU.

But if your budget is $80 or whatever and you check out that the card will fit, power supply will run it etc go for it.

BTW, be sure to turn off the computer and ground yourself by touching the case before fiddling with anything inside your PC.
  • Severia
    Severia
    ✭✭
    Accept nothing less than an Nvidia GTX 780 Ti. That's what I have :smile:
  • Feimerdre
    Feimerdre
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am pretty sure he has has a Dell studio xps 7100. The site I linked to shows a product Dell sells (R7 260) which Dell says it is a compatible upgrade for his computer. All he has to do is double check with Dell and he is set.

Everyone's advice is spot on, however, lets not make it too complicated.

i promise, this is my las remark in that matter.
    Dell is using Dell branded hardware and in many cases special drivers.
    It could be - it could be in this special case that Dell would deliver a low wattage version of the R7 260 with a 4-pin connector.
    I say it could be.
    Given that it could be that it would not be a smart idea to buy a card on the free market.
  • glamorousskies

It could be - it could be in this special case that Dell would deliver a low wattage version of the R7 260 with a 4-pin connector.
    I say it could be.
    Given that it could be that it would not be a smart idea to buy a card on the free market.

i'm getting the card i want. i can't see some low end card uses 300 watts for just the card that is an abnormally ridiculous amount.
  • glamorousskies
    He just wants that someone says buy card XY and use an adapter and you will have 40 fps on high. This discussion is becoming hazardous for my health.
    I am out of it. Sorry.

i'm like 90% sure that's the case seeing as my friend literally has this same computer with a way better graphics card. I just wanted to reel in the trolls. Like i said some low graphics card isn't going to be pulling 300 watts thats a joke. maybe like 80-150 for the card.
  • Orizuru
    Orizuru
    ✭✭✭
    Dont get me wrong, but it is pretty obvious that you have no clue at all concerning building running and operating computers on hardware level.
    You do insist instead that everyone is convincing you as you "think" you know it all.
    So again:
    My personal opinion (and I am building computers for more than 20 years now): never work with adapters in a computer.

If you think you know better and have already made up you decision dont come here and ask for my time explaining you how much power every piece of you computer in consuming and how a power supply is designed to serve this power.

Thank you.

You can't say something like that and not come off as snobby and offensive. Experience is good but doesn't necessarily mean you are jimmy neutron. I am asking if this statement is correct. = it states online the graphics card i want requires 300 watts. my power supply has 460 watts. therefore i can use that graphics card.

If you have a 460 watt PSU and the video card requires 300 watts that only leaves 160 watts for all the other hardware in your computer. Is that enough for your cpu, motherboard, memory, hard drives, and any other devices you may have installed?

• Feimerdre
    Feimerdre
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad you had a great time with all of us trying to help you on a decision. For my part I will not answer any kind of question brought up by you anymore.
  • Kiash
    Kiash
    ✭✭✭
    I know with an I5-3350P @ 3.3ghz and a MSI GTX
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127699

The game runs about 40-75 FPS. The lowest dip I have seen was in Cyrodiil with about 500 people fighting on screen it seemed like, and even then it was at a steady 40+ FPS. This is on max settings with everything turned up as far as possible.
    Edited by Kiash on April 4, 2014 1:17PM
  • glamorousskies
    Glad you had a great time with all of us trying to help you on a decision. For my part I will not answer any kind of question brought up by you anymore.

Your answers have been redundant and irrelevant. Also as a computer tech working for 20 years like you or someone has been saying. You should know a 100$ graphics card would no way EVER pull 300 watts.
  • Orizuru
    Orizuru
    ✭✭✭
    I am out of it. Sorry.

i'm like 90% sure that's the case seeing as my friend literally has this same computer with a way better graphics card. I just wanted to reel in the trolls. Like i said some low graphics card isn't going to be pulling 300 watts thats a joke. maybe like 80-150 for the card.

Enjoy your BSOD dude. #walksawaylaughing
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    ....Suddenly I can no longer tell who is the troll and who isn't in this thread. I think I'm leaving as well before things escalate even more....
  • Yankee
    Yankee
    ✭✭✭✭
    i'm getting the card i want. i can't see some low end card uses 300 watts for just the card that is an abnormally ridiculous amount.

LOL. If this is true then why did you waste peoples time and forum space (on 3 threads you created concerning the graphics issue) asking the question? I did not click on an unknown link to look at the card, but 300 watts was the number YOU gave.

Hope you do not expect anyone here to take any future inquiries from you seriously.
    Enjoy your BSOD dude. #walksawaylaughing
    Well said.
    Edited by Yankee on April 4, 2014 2:12PM
  • Yasha
    Yasha
    ✭✭✭✭

I say it could be.

Yes you are completely correct -although I saw on the Dell site it has a molex to pci-e adaptor.

Btw I thought your advice was excellent, I don't understand the bad feelings from the OP.

• Feimerdre
    Feimerdre
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also as a computer tech working for 20 years like you or someone has been saying. You should know a 100$ graphics card would no way EVER pull 300 watts.

You know, smart boy, I come here in this forum as to actually help people. I do not sort out threads being a possible attempt to make us all look like idi0ts.
    You have pretty clear shown what kind of personality and character you are.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dont get me wrong, but it is pretty obvious that you have no clue at all concerning building running and operating computers on hardware level.
    You do insist instead that everyone is convincing you as you "think" you know it all.
    So again:
    My personal opinion (and I am building computers for more than 20 years now): never work with adapters in a computer.

If you think you know better and have already made up you decision dont come here and ask for my time explaining you how much power every piece of you computer in consuming and how a power supply is designed to serve this power.

Thank you.

You can't say something like that and not come off as snobby and offensive. Experience is good but doesn't necessarily mean you are jimmy neutron. I am asking if this statement is correct. = it states online the graphics card i want requires 300 watts. my power supply has 460 watts. therefore i can use that graphics card.
    You need to take into account the total energy required for the whole computer. CPU, ram, drives, things plugged into USB, ect. Most of those are small, but they add up. With all those added up, rule of thumb you would want an additional 50 watts of head room in your power supply. Without knowing the rest of your setup, using a 300 watt card on a 400watt power suppy would make me nervous.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a fairly old card; you can use the following listings to get a good idea of what is competitive (based against what users here are saying): videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

BTW, I'm using a Nvidia 780; on max settings and she runs smooth.
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • snowmanflvb14_ESO
    snowmanflvb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sarenia wrote: »
    UnknownXV wrote: »
    Sarenia wrote: »
    I'm using a GTX 570 with an i7 2600k cpu.

Everything is maxed out and my FPS is a steady 60.

No clue what the minimum you could use would be and still retain that.

Really? That seems odd.

I'm on a i5 2500k, with a GTX 770. With everything maxed out, I definitely dip below 60 fps. Though it's most assuredly playable, it seems hard to believe you get perpetual 60 fps.

CPU matters with graphics, sometimes as much as the GPU depending on how a game is programmed. Everquest 2 for example is extremely CPU heavy.

I overclock too. My i7 is running at 4.4ghz. My GPU is 800mhz / 2000 mhz memory.

2600k's are made to overclock and my GPU is lifetime warranty, so I think... why not? :)

This game too is cpu heavy. I too over clocked my AMD 8150 to 4.2ghz and use a twin Frozer 560Ti with no issues My fps just last night in a nice 30 v 40 fight in Cyrodil in a dungeon did not dip below 45. I attribute this to not only the twin cards but to my cpu.
    Magic is impressive but now Minsc leads SWORDS FOR EVERYONE!!