The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[Class Rep] Healing Feedback Thread

• LostSync
    LostSync
    My first Pain point would be Major Courage and the fact that the only way to get it is by using ether SPC or Olorime.And yes now thanks to olorime one of the healers in trials can use something else but what about when we do dungeons we are forced to use one of the 2 sets because it makes a difference to the heals and dps. It also limits the sets we can choose from. (Possible solution) What i would like to see is every class getting a cheap healing ultimate like the wardens one that grands major courage for 30sec.

My second pain point would be aggressive horn and how good it is and how it outshines the majority of the support uiltmates, also the only way to get Major force for 30sec.

Ps. It looks like the healing feedback thread has gone dry :neutral:
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    Edited by LostSync on August 13, 2018 9:21PM
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LostSync wrote: »
    My first Pain point would be Major Courage and the fact that the only way to get it is by using ether SPC or Olorime.And yes now thanks to olorime one of the healers in trials can use something else but what about when we do dungeons we are forced to use one of the 2 sets because it makes a difference to the heals and dps. It also limits the sets we can choose from. (Possible solution) What i would like to see is every class getting a cheap healing ultimate like the wardens one that grands major courage for 30sec.

My second pain point would be aggressive horn and how good it is and how it outshines the majority of the support uiltmates, also the only way to get Major force for 30sec.

Ps. It looks like the healing feedback thread has gone dry :neutral:
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

No your class representatives are working hard and noting down your concerns. So don't worry we are listening.

Feel free to join us in discord too https://discord.gg/TfjSbu9
  • Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Need major sorcery back!
  • Oumalakasha
    Oumalakasha
    ✭✭✭
    Gonna bump this thread up because it doesn't get enough feedback. My question for more experienced healers is: what sort of changes could be welcomed to Blessing of Restoration? I don't think this skill is bad as people make it out to be, but I would love for it to get some love. Any ideas to give it a unique and useful identity?
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think healers suffer from the same issues like the tanks. They're both buff/debuff dispensers. We need an additional role, the support role. In my opinion tanks should focus on efficient survival, healers on efficient healing, let the support role handle buffing and debuffing.

The support role must no be a another class, a third morph could enable the existing classes to fill that role.
  • Oathunbound
    Oathunbound
    ✭✭✭
    First pain point would be what has been said in other forum pages is that healers feel unnecessary.

In most non dlc vet dungeons, if the group is semi aware of there surroundings i can keep peoples health at full with little to no effort. There have been times where i just stand there and see how long people can last without my healing and for most encounters, even boss fights, i don't need to do anything. I feel i can be more effective if i wear full dps gear and dps skills and just swap one out for the occasional healing need that arises, and that feels wrong. I want to que and play as a dedicated healer but when 90% of the time a dedicated healer is not needed at all it kinda defeats the purpose.

Second pain point it the "mandatory" slotting and use of war-horn. I know it is a great skill to have and use but on my warden healer id would like to have my healing ult on demand at all times due to it buffing my healing overall (through a passive) and that it is a very strong heal that can prevent a wipe on certain fights if applied at the right time. Not sure tho as to what the solution could be other then adding major force to a healing staff skill, but it would make war-horn for the most part useless

• XZS2JHub17_ESO
    XZS2JHub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    1. Healing skills needs more synergy's and group buffs that make them more desirable.
    2. All classes should be able to heal just as effectively, with a little uniqueness to all of them. Currently, sorc healers and dk healers are completely useless compared to templars and wardens, and nb is falling down from the siphon nerfs they're receiving.
  • tanabata
    tanabata
    Soul Shriven
    Healers sometimes are not needed in 4 man-content (with group who knows what they do) not because "shields diminishing their role", but because most of the dangerous incoming damage either one-shot (you can't outheal that, it should be avoided anyway), or can be outhealed by players themselves, and bonuses, provided by healers, are not needed enough. Shields in their current state just make things easier. Even if you completely remove shields from the game, there still will be problem with 3dd+tank runs (if you consider this as a real problem). Yes, even if all 3 dds will be poor stamina guys with vigor+new major evasion only.
    Some mechanics in the game not noticeable at all (looking at you, flame dot from final boss of coa1, which should be purged by jumping to water, but most of the player don't even know about this mechanic: it's not damaging enough even if you do not heave a proper heal on your bar at all). Look at the old base-game content, in terms of encounters it's completely brainless and can't even teach new players how to avoid the damage or give more attention to what's happening around, ofc people will always prefer to go with 3 dds to burn all this content. New content, however, is a bit another story - there we have punishing mechanics for too much damage(final boss of Fang Lair, Vycosa in Moon Hunter Keep etc.), sometimes we have dangerous dots or channels from trash mobs, or encounters (execute in Ruins of Mazzatun), so sometimes some groups can think about having a healer, but...
    Bonuses, provided by healer (minor berserk, drain, orbs, offbalance, purge, minor courage) is definetly good and strong, but not strong enough to make proper healers real "must-have" unit of 4-man group, who know what they doing. Why? Tank can use drain and lightning blockade, and hell, even put olorime and provide spd/wpd increase for group. If tank prefer to keep his backbar with s/b, one of the dd can slot drain, one magicka dd can slot lightning staff and voila - you good to go. And self-sustain improving from patch to patch. Is that a bad thing? I think no.
    So, ability to self-sustain, to heal yourself, to live without endless healing springs on your feet, ability to quick recover yourself from "oh, ***" situation should not be nerfed. It one of the things which make me enjoy this game, which makes you feel revarding if you avoided the death, it adds more interest to the game, it makes the game feel really unique, it even adds more build-creativity. Look, after morrowind sustain nerfs (deleting from the game additional stats recovery from blue morph of orbs, deleting repentance group sustain utility, creating the same cooldown for orbs and shards) popularity of "one tank, three dds" formula only increased. Why? Because healer's ability to help the group decreased, they became weaker and people started thinking "why are we need healer in first place? we can find a way around it and just add more damage, if there is literally no unique critical things which healer can provide".
    So, does that mean, that healers are not needed at all in dungeons? No, they can greatly help with progressing through new content with sustain help, they helping with freeing teammate's slots from support skills, and ofc they helping with healing=). But when you did great, found and learned all mechanics, thats the moment when you starting feel like you don't need a proper, real 100% full-support healer, because you figured out how to heal, how to avoid the unnecesary damage and found the safe opportunities to recover your resources. At this point, well, healers just can't provide nothing more than orbs/shards and additional horn (good minmaxed horn uptime not really needed in 4-man dungeons over, lets say, additional damage ultimate). Sure, there are some additional ways, like good uptime of weakening enchant, using debuff-posions or slotting the stamina power of the light morph on magicka templar, situational purge, but does it cricital and necessary to have? Well, no.
    And look, almost all additional support opportunities have only two classes: templar (Power of the Light, shards, extended rutial with amazing synergy, previously stamina support with repentance) and warden (additional synergy and minor toughness after Murkmire changes). Another classes now can do the same HPS (heal-per-second), thanks to summerset changes, but have no utility, and this is why we don't see the nb-sorc-dk healers, they cannot provide nothing, only healing.
    So we can see, that pure healing is good, but not necessary in 4-man content, I'd day that we definetly don't need more healing power(especially in pvp, but it's another story). And, in my opinion, biggest healer pain point is - we need more utility/support tools which should be rewarding to have in group and fun to play. We need to bring something more that we have right now. It would be cool and it will bring more player to play this role. And maybe we need to reconsider some of the content encounters, especially in base game. Maybe.

Just look, how dead this discussion compare to dps class-rep discussions. People don't even bother with healer-role.

@Tasear @Alcast @Gilliamtherogue someone, please bring some of the thought here to next rep-meeting in context of damage-shield changes. Thanks.
    Also sorry for possible typos and weird word constructions, not a native english speaker=(
  • Cronopoly
    Cronopoly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the low hanging fruit was Nerf Shields to placate Healers not having enough to do instead of bringing new toolsets to the classes for "DESIRED" support. :|

Not sure the desired result will be what we all envision...
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    tanabata wrote: »
    Healers sometimes are not needed in 4 man-content (with group who knows what they do) not because "shields diminishing their role", but because most of the dangerous incoming damage either one-shot (you can't outheal that, it should be avoided anyway), or can be outhealed by players themselves, and bonuses, provided by healers, are not needed enough. Shields in their current state just make things easier. Even if you completely remove shields from the game, there still will be problem with 3dd+tank runs (if you consider this as a real problem). Yes, even if all 3 dds will be poor stamina guys with vigor+new major evasion only.
    Some mechanics in the game not noticeable at all (looking at you, flame dot from final boss of coa1, which should be purged by jumping to water, but most of the player don't even know about this mechanic: it's not damaging enough even if you do not heave a proper heal on your bar at all). Look at the old base-game content, in terms of encounters it's completely brainless and can't even teach new players how to avoid the damage or give more attention to what's happening around, ofc people will always prefer to go with 3 dds to burn all this content. New content, however, is a bit another story - there we have punishing mechanics for too much damage(final boss of Fang Lair, Vycosa in Moon Hunter Keep etc.), sometimes we have dangerous dots or channels from trash mobs, or encounters (execute in Ruins of Mazzatun), so sometimes some groups can think about having a healer, but...
    Bonuses, provided by healer (minor berserk, drain, orbs, offbalance, purge, minor courage) is definetly good and strong, but not strong enough to make proper healers real "must-have" unit of 4-man group, who know what they doing. Why? Tank can use drain and lightning blockade, and hell, even put olorime and provide spd/wpd increase for group. If tank prefer to keep his backbar with s/b, one of the dd can slot drain, one magicka dd can slot lightning staff and voila - you good to go. And self-sustain improving from patch to patch. Is that a bad thing? I think no.
    So, ability to self-sustain, to heal yourself, to live without endless healing springs on your feet, ability to quick recover yourself from "oh, ***" situation should not be nerfed. It one of the things which make me enjoy this game, which makes you feel revarding if you avoided the death, it adds more interest to the game, it makes the game feel really unique, it even adds more build-creativity. Look, after morrowind sustain nerfs (deleting from the game additional stats recovery from blue morph of orbs, deleting repentance group sustain utility, creating the same cooldown for orbs and shards) popularity of "one tank, three dds" formula only increased. Why? Because healer's ability to help the group decreased, they became weaker and people started thinking "why are we need healer in first place? we can find a way around it and just add more damage, if there is literally no unique critical things which healer can provide".
    So, does that mean, that healers are not needed at all in dungeons? No, they can greatly help with progressing through new content with sustain help, they helping with freeing teammate's slots from support skills, and ofc they helping with healing=). But when you did great, found and learned all mechanics, thats the moment when you starting feel like you don't need a proper, real 100% full-support healer, because you figured out how to heal, how to avoid the unnecesary damage and found the safe opportunities to recover your resources. At this point, well, healers just can't provide nothing more than orbs/shards and additional horn (good minmaxed horn uptime not really needed in 4-man dungeons over, lets say, additional damage ultimate). Sure, there are some additional ways, like good uptime of weakening enchant, using debuff-posions or slotting the stamina power of the light morph on magicka templar, situational purge, but does it cricital and necessary to have? Well, no.
    And look, almost all additional support opportunities have only two classes: templar (Power of the Light, shards, extended rutial with amazing synergy, previously stamina support with repentance) and warden (additional synergy and minor toughness after Murkmire changes). Another classes now can do the same HPS (heal-per-second), thanks to summerset changes, but have no utility, and this is why we don't see the nb-sorc-dk healers, they cannot provide nothing, only healing.
    So we can see, that pure healing is good, but not necessary in 4-man content, I'd day that we definetly don't need more healing power(especially in pvp, but it's another story). And, in my opinion, biggest healer pain point is - we need more utility/support tools which should be rewarding to have in group and fun to play. We need to bring something more that we have right now. It would be cool and it will bring more player to play this role. And maybe we need to reconsider some of the content encounters, especially in base game. Maybe.

Just look, how dead this discussion compare to dps class-rep discussions. People don't even bother with healer-role.

@Tasear @Alcast @Gilliamtherogue someone, please bring some of the thought here to next rep-meeting in context of damage-shield changes. Thanks.
    Also sorry for possible typos and weird word constructions, not a native english speaker=(

No need to @ giliam any more fyi.
  • Austacker
    Austacker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure members of the dev team have played World of Warcraft before. Look at the healer interaction there to understand why there's so much frustration with ESO.

Whilst ESO adopts the holy trinity for PvE game design mechanics, it really doesn't adhere to it at all.

I mained as a raid healer in WoW for 8 years. It was a highly valued, essential role for clearing content.

In ESO, I've never ever felt more useless and irrelevant for being a main spec healer.

Not only are we not needed for clearing the core PvE content (outside of trials), we're useless for solo content as well and to add injury to insult, when we do help with that open world multiplayer content, we're not rewarded for it at all.

This is a fundamental design failure of ESO game design mechanics IMHO and part of the reason why for those (like myself) who love to main spec heals, you basically get over playing ESO very quickly and move on.

It blows my mind that ESO devs can't look at other MMOs to work out where they're going wrong with the healing class role. Anyone who is an avid, long term MMO player who main specs heals will quickly and easily tell you how badly ESO screwed this role up.

It's very frustrating.
    Edited by Austacker on September 23, 2018 1:29AM
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tanabata wrote: »

I agree with all your points, but especially with the above; I like having a healer in group, but all I want from them at this point in a 4-person content is support with sustain, because like you said, most dangerous encounters are all-or-nothing, in that either they are avoided or they one-shot you, and this has nothing to do with shields. In good groups, playing a healer feels boring and redundant, and it's entirely due to power creep, older content becoming too easy, and newer content having a lot of unforgiving mechanics, that if messed up, cannot be outhealed. I really don't understand how this talk of shields making healers feel useless came about, it is clear to me that anyone who plays end-game content would know that this is not the case... shield changes are because of pvp issues with stacking, and every magicka player, including healers, will be disadvantaged if they go through. Anyway, more tools/utility for healers would be great, but first and foremost, it's content that will dictate whether this utility is valued in groups.
  • db0ssman
    db0ssman
    ✭✭✭
    I've been really caught up in crafting for the last month and have done fairly little else, but for the 3ish years before that I'd spend most of my time running NM PUGS in dungeons. Here are my two main pain points (though this won't be too different from what others have said):

1. Lack of medium-core content. I can pretty easily carry most groups through a NM dungeon, and when I play my main people rarely die (soft-core). Then on the flip side trying to heal in a DLC group dungeon you end up useless because they know the mechanics and don't need you or don't know the mechanics/too low dps and you can't really save them anyway (hard-core). There is really only a very small sweet spot where a pug is good enough to clear something but will struggle and your skill as a healer will make a difference (medium-core). Those are the most satisfying groups to play with, but pretty rare.

2. Too imbalanced in healer usefulness. Destiny suffered from a gjallahorn problem and ESO healing has one too. In Destiny, the gjallahorn existed as one of the few guns that stood head and shoulders above everything else in DPS. Because of that all new content became balanced around having a group of 6 all using gjallahorn, which subsequently made all players have to use a gjallahorn to complete the content. In ESO, the templar is the gjallahorn. They are the best all around healers with the best utility in the form of group sustain buffs. This is the measuring stick which ZOS uses to balance new dungeons and content, but that leaves other healers behind. After murkmire only Templar and Warden are going to have utility to bring to a group, but Templar will still reign supreme. This will cause NB, DK, and Sorc to all basically homogenize under using the same non-Class skills to become crappy versions of Templars, but that begs the question of why use them if the superior templar exists? This mostly effects high end gameplay, but not everyone will be happy just running easy content with PUGS when the group's skill can differ pretty drastically.
    Starfire Protocol lvl 50 NB Redmage healer - Main + Master Crafter
    Gives Good Heed lvl 50 Warden Super Buff Healer
    Crafty Smyth lvl 50 Stamblade Poison Assassin - Farmer
    Everyon's Pal Adin lvl 44 Templar Splash Healer
    Stands Against Danger lvl 16 DK Tank -ex mule
    Matriarch Tamer lvl 18 Baby Sorc Healer
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cronopoly wrote: »
    So the low hanging fruit was Nerf Shields to placate Healers not having enough to do instead of bringing new toolsets to the classes for "DESIRED" support. :|

Not sure the desired result will be what we all envision...

That's their typical behavior. Not fixing what's broken, but make what works as bad as what's broken so the latter looks comparatively decent.
  • Saphayla
    Saphayla
    ✭✭✭
    Double the amount of damage done by most mobs, both in Normal and Veteran instances (as well as solo content). It's not hard to see why there's trouble finding use for healers if there's no damage to heal. In more recent dungeons like Moon Hunter Keep, here seems to be an over reliance on mechanics that do such overwhelming damage that even the strongest burst heal can't heal trough it, and on one-hit kills. The fight with the Archivist Emarde is an epitome of that, because every error is met with a near-unavoidable death. You either take no damage or you die, there's no inbetween, so the healing aspect of healers is thrown out the window and only the support remains, but it isn't good enough to justify not having a third Damage Dealer
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noted some things
  • keevil111
    keevil111
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, so i do have a couple healers although i main a tank. Why is there such a gap between HP of players and major bosses? I mean several million health on a boss versus 20k to 50k on players. I know player HP varies a great deal but you see what I mean.

If a 50k health tank gets one shot for 50k, why not have tanks be at around 100k? Or more. DDs at 18k seems silly with all the damage coming in during some fights. DDs should be sitting at where tanks are at right now as far as health pool.

I know PVP would get completely ruined by this but I guess my point is, PVP could be adjusted, and healers would actually have a job to do when a tank with 165k health gets hit for 50k, 18k, then 22k. It would give the healers time to react to the incoming damage.

Obviously pretty outlandish idea, but hey, just trying to think constructively.
    PS4 NA
  • Girl_Number8
    Girl_Number8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Buff the magplar~ It has a whole skill line dedicated just for healing. It is sad how it has been ignored and nerfed.

It feels like every class is being turned into a dps and is not really unique in anyway anymore~
    Edited by Girl_Number8 on September 27, 2018 1:04PM
  • db0ssman
    db0ssman
    ✭✭✭
    Saphayla wrote: »
    Double the amount of damage done by most mobs, both in Normal and Veteran instances (as well as solo content). It's not hard to see why there's trouble finding use for healers if there's no damage to heal. In more recent dungeons like Moon Hunter Keep, here seems to be an over reliance on mechanics that do such overwhelming damage that even the strongest burst heal can't heal trough it, and on one-hit kills. The fight with the Archivist Emarde is an epitome of that, because every error is met with a near-unavoidable death. You either take no damage or you die, there's no inbetween, so the healing aspect of healers is thrown out the window and only the support remains, but it isn't good enough to justify not having a third Damage Dealer

This is an interesting idea, but it could have some unintended consequences. The one that jumps to mind is that if the damage is scaled to the extent that healers are necessary on top of any possible self heals, that would probably make it impossible to heal a group that also wasn't putting out substantial self heals. That would severely limit the amount of viable play styles.

One suggestion someone threw out a while ago that I like is to Nerf the healing of anyone not flagged as the healer in group dungeons. If DPS can only self heal for 50% it would effectively be like doubling the damage without the side effect of having insanely high values for a healer to work around.
  • moonwalker23
    moonwalker23
    Soul Shriven
    What if they gave healers the ability to instantly revive someone. Personally I was thinking adding some type of blessing to soul trap. Lets say after 10 (up for debate) casts of soul trap within 90 sec you gain a blessing that allows you to instantly revive one of your fallen comrades for 30 seconds. The reason I chose soul trap is the damage is so low that no reasonable dps would ever use it, but I could be very useful to a healer. I also think that in order to get the blessing the soul trap would have to hit the same target so this isn't OP in pvp.
  • db0ssman
    db0ssman
    ✭✭✭
    What if they gave healers the ability to instantly revive someone. Personally I was thinking adding some type of blessing to soul trap. Lets say after 10 (up for debate) casts of soul trap within 90 sec you gain a blessing that allows you to instantly revive one of your fallen comrades for 30 seconds. The reason I chose soul trap is the damage is so low that no reasonable dps would ever use it, but I could be very useful to a healer. I also think that in order to get the blessing the soul trap would have to hit the same target so this isn't OP in pvp.

Neat idea, but I'm not sure why a healer would normally have soul trap slotted, let alone cast it. It might work to replace that resto staff ability that adds life steal with an ability that can insta-rez. It would have to be only slotable by healers, though. Otherwise it would actually make them more useless.
  • moonwalker23
    moonwalker23
    Soul Shriven
    db0ssman wrote: »

Neat idea, but I'm not sure why a healer would normally have soul trap slotted, let alone cast it. It might work to replace that resto staff ability that adds life steal with an ability that can insta-rez. It would have to be only slotable by healers, though. Otherwise it would actually make them more useless.

Agreed that healers don't typically have soul trap slotted, but I think adding the ability to instantly revive with something like life steal would be way over powered in pvp. My idea with soul trap is it's a completely unused skill right now in pvp and pve that we could add a really unique buff to it that is useful to healers only. Maybe we could give the morphs a strong synergy, like major evasion or something.
  • db0ssman
    db0ssman
    ✭✭✭

Agreed that healers don't typically have soul trap slotted, but I think adding the ability to instantly revive with something like life steal would be way over powered in pvp. My idea with soul trap is it's a completely unused skill right now in pvp and pve that we could add a really unique buff to it that is useful to healers only. Maybe we could give the morphs a strong synergy, like major evasion or something.

I meant to replace that ability, not as a bonus to it. Since there are currently much more effective resource returns (orbs, shards, sanguine alter, mushrooms) that the largely unused ability could be replaced by an ability that grants insta rez, but only for the person slotted as the healer. The morphs could be that people are rez'd with full resources or not cost a soul gem. That would also help solve the problem of healers not having to stop heal for 20 sec to rez someone.
  • moonwalker23
    moonwalker23
    Soul Shriven

I meant to replace that ability, not as a bonus to it. Since there are currently much more effective resource returns (orbs, shards, sanguine alter, mushrooms) that the largely unused ability could be replaced by an ability that grants insta rez, but only for the person slotted as the healer. The morphs could be that people are rez'd with full resources or not cost a soul gem. That would also help solve the problem of healers not having to stop heal for 20 sec to rez someone.

I could get behind that idea. Only granting the buff to a person slotted as a healer is an interesting idea. It would make it a useful skill in pve but not OP in pvp. I wonder how we could get it to work with trials as everyone could be slotted as a healer?
  • db0ssman
    db0ssman
    ✭✭✭
    You pretty much have to have a couple of healers in trials. Though it might be able to limit 3 people in a trial to the healer role or something.
  • esotoon
    esotoon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before adding my two sticking pints, I'd like to agree with the points already raised in this thread. This is just a couple things I haven't seen mentioned:

1: Smart Healing. I've seen mixed messages as to exactly how certain skills, such as Rushed Ceremony and Regeneration (and their morphs) pick their target as to who to heal. Breath of Life is supposed to be an Ally in front of you. Some say these skills are supposed to be 'smart' and heal the lowest health player, and some say it's random. However, whether there is smart healing and it is just broken, or whether there isn't smart healing, I think these skills need to be looked at and for some form of smart healing to be implemented/fixed.

It may not be so noticeable in a 4 man group where even a random heal would have a 1 in 3 chance of hitting the right target, but in a large PVP group, those odds can be reduced to 1 in 23. I've lost count of the number of times I have stood directly in front of someone at less than 20% health and tried to heal them with BoL, only for the heal to hit someone with far more health and only a few percent missing to the side of me. Or the times I've seen a group member in the distance on low health, cast a Rapid Regeneration and for it to hit the person next to me with full health. This either ends up with the player in question dying, or me having to spam the heal until they finally get it, which is a total waste of resources.

I realise a balance has to be made so that healing never simply becomes blindly hitting a button without much skill involved, however (in large PVP groups at least) blindly hitting the button is exactly what the current system entails. Instead of seeing a person in need of healing, responding to it by casting the correct skill, seeing that person get healed, and having the satisfaction of a job well done, you are left helplessly pressing a button repeatedly in the hopes that you may eventually heal that person before they die.

2: Player Rewards: There are still events in the game that fail to reward healers for their contributions. Case in point, the fight at the centre of Imperial City. I recently was in a group of 14 repeatedly carrying out this fight. I was the only healer. I kept everyone alive through several of these fights and received no reward for my effort. In order to be rewarded, I had to switch to dps. As a result, although I received my rewards, half the group would wipe during each fight. So as a player, to be rewarded I had to a) not be the healer I wanted to be, and b) feel the guilt of knowing that my group wasn't doing as well and were losing Telvar because of my decision to switch to dps. That isn't a choice that should have to be made and isn't exactly a positive gaming experience. Rather than having fun and achieving something, I was left felling guilty and selfish.

Edited by esotoon on September 27, 2018 4:43PM
  • irswat
    irswat
    ✭✭✭✭
    maybe allowing enemy attacks to crit against players, and allow them to use attacks like maim and defile, will be ways to make healers more useful. Would be cool to have more sets to play with. Also stamina heals would be cool.
    The Lord Jesus Christ saved me from sin and darkness. His love has transformed me so that I am a new creature in Him. May you find Him too, and experience His richness and goodness!
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    irswat wrote: »
    maybe allowing enemy attacks to crit against players, and allow them to use attacks like maim and defile, will be ways to make healers more useful. Would be cool to have more sets to play with. Also stamina heals would be cool.

Yes, that is what I want as a tank, the chance that a boss hit that is already 75k+ without blocking, to crit.
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems that we all are at an impasse with regards to class identity, role identity and effectiveness of healing.

Its a huge undertaking for class identity =/= role identity. We can't compare this game nor can we take examples of other mmos such as wow because both of these games, at its core fundamentally, is different.

Eso was built with you can take any class and play any role within the trinity structure. It's fluid, whereas wow was rigid. Yeah you had classes in WoW that could do multiple roles but you won't see a hunter healer or a shammy tank. In eso, a nb can be a tank, heals or dps. So can a DK. So can a Templar. Are they effective at each role? . They are to a certain degree but not all of it.

What the classes in eso need within their own skill lines are not pure role centric but support centric. The heals from a class skill shouldn't overshadow a heal from the restoration line. The tankish skill line from the warden shouldn't be all about tanking, it should have been about utility for tanking. That way, you can still be the frost mage you want but it's more of... Crowd control.

Another example is the Nb. Siphoning shouldn't just be about taking from the enemy and giving yourself benefits. It should also be taking from your own health for other benefit. There should be more abilities like malevolent offering and giving said skill more healing utility. Perhaps debilitate takes your health down but giving stamina to your allies. Perhaps crippling grasp debuffs a single target for minor vulnerability. That creates a unique form of utility for the nb.

There was a thread that was talking about changes to the mechanics of the game to increase the rate of damage done onto the group so as to increase the healers effectiveness. While I might not agree wholeheartedly, I do believe it has some merit to it. One shot mechanics are needed whether we like it or not. Its a very good way to ensure the fight goes through a certain phase, or a certain down time for all. It's a really useful tool provided it's used correctly.

As of right now, healers aren't useful, effective in pushing through content. Are they needed? For some content, they are. But for most of it, dps is still king. And that is sad.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • ZOS_JesC
    ZOS_JesC
    admin
    Greetings, we've removed a few comments that were inappropriate. This is a reminder that comments need to remain on topic and civil. Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post