The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Let's talk Stamin DK

gannicus1389
gannicus1389
✭✭✭
Anyone else feel like Stam DKs are underperforming in BGs?

We are in a very burst meta, specially in bgs, where we have no resistences from cp, everything hits harder than it should, proc sets included.

I feel like compared to other classes, Stam DKs just struggle to deliver pain, and our resistences and extra healings DO NOT JUSTIFY the loss of burst attacks.

Our dots do a lot of damages, but a lot of classes can heal through those dots, and sorc can shield through those dots.

Our only viable combo is Dizzying swing + Leap. Now it is a great and heavy hitting combo, but it depends on a very clunky and slow action 2 handed skill. It is veery hard to land dizzying swing on experienced players or very mobile players, and even if you do it is not guaranteed you going to get the kill, specially if you are fighting a good sorc that knows to keep up shields, or a good night blade who will get low, stealth and heal and come back to incap and spamm surprise attack on you.

see, that is what I think stam DK is missing, a somewhat "class burst or sustain damage skill" that is not a dot that can be healed through or purged.

Noxious breath does like pathetic damage. like 8k dmg over 10 seconds, which is then like 4k broken by battle spirit and then further broken by resistences... I m ean come on?...

venomous claw is great, but is still over a very long period of time...

all we have to offer is a LEAP... the best stam dks I have seen are the ones building a strictly tanky build to guard a healer... which is no fun I think...

and dont tell me impreg/fortified sets are good, the exchange of dmg and sustain is not worth. you still gonna die quickly vs nightblades/sorcs and will lose sustain an d alot of damage.

I
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We are in a very burst meta, specially in bgs, where we have no resistences from cp, everything hits harder than it should, proc sets included.

I feel like compared to other classes, Stam DKs just struggle to deliver pain, and our resistences and extra healings DO NOT JUSTIFY the loss of burst attacks.

Our dots do a lot of damages, but a lot of classes can heal through those dots, and sorc can shield through those dots.

Our only viable combo is Dizzying swing + Leap. Now it is a great and heavy hitting combo, but it depends on a very clunky and slow action 2 handed skill. It is veery hard to land dizzying swing on experienced players or very mobile players, and even if you do it is not guaranteed you going to get the kill, specially if you are fighting a good sorc that knows to keep up shields, or a good night blade who will get low, stealth and heal and come back to incap and spamm surprise attack on you.

see, that is what I think stam DK is missing, a somewhat "class burst or sustain damage skill" that is not a dot that can be healed through or purged.

Noxious breath does like pathetic damage. like 8k dmg over 10 seconds, which is then like 4k broken by battle spirit and then further broken by resistences... I m ean come on?...

all we have to offer is a LEAP... the best stam dks I have seen are the ones building a strictly tanky build to guard a healer... which is no fun I think...

and dont tell me impreg/fortified sets are good, the exchange of dmg and sustain is not worth. you still gonna die quickly vs nightblades/sorcs and will lose sustain an d alot of damage.

I

I've said this many times. Build to the strengths of the class. DKs are tanky, with strong dots. So heavy armor damage set, troll king, and a sustain set. 2h/dw is nice for DK. Blood craze, axe bleed, dbl dot poisons, venom claw, noxious breath, dizzy swing into a leap, reverse slice is a nasty amount of damage... is it harder to play than other stam classes? Yes. Is it still as effective? Ehhh maybe not as effective as say a stam warden, BUT you can argue that it is as strong I think. Healing on stam dk is insane as an argonian.
  • The_Brosteen
    The_Brosteen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped reading at "the only viable combo is dizzying swing + leap."

Theres more to it than that. Dot builds are more useful than you seem to think. I can kill most people just fine applying dots, fossilize, and execute. Including sorcs and people trying to heal through it. I've also seen stam dks run berserker strike builds effectively. When I play on my stam dk I feel like the class is in a good spot, but people keep telling me it isnt.
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Theres more to it than that. Dot builds are more useful than you seem to think. I can kill most people just fine applying dots, fossilize, and execute. Including sorcs and people trying to heal through it. I've also seen stam dks run berserker strike builds effectively. When I play on my stam dk I feel like the class is in a good spot, but people keep telling me it isnt.

It could use better passives tbh. Besides that a stamina spammable would be nice to not force you into so many weapon skills. Otherwise yeah I think they are in a pretty good spot.
  • gannicus1389
    gannicus1389
    ✭✭✭

don't get me wrong. I play many games wehre I perform well, hae decent and high kdr. but I feel those games I played vs people that don't know how to either use their shields or rally/vigor effectively, which makes dots weak.
    dots can be outhealed by a lot, the dmg they do is high in a 10 second timer...
    what is the point of doing more dmg but in a really long time gap? in pve it is amazing, in pvp? eh...

coupled with sloads and other proc sets liek skoria, it is a killing machine. but is the class really good when it depends on proc sets to be efficient?
  • gannicus1389
    gannicus1389
    ✭✭✭
    Hutch679 wrote: »

I

I've said this many times. Build to the strengths of the class. DKs are tanky, with strong dots. So heavy armor damage set, troll king, and a sustain set. 2h/dw is nice for DK. Blood craze, axe bleed, dbl dot poisons, venom claw, noxious breath, dizzy swing into a leap, reverse slice is a nasty amount of damage... is it harder to play than other stam classes? Yes. Is it still as effective? Ehhh maybe not as effective as say a stam warden, BUT you can argue that it is as strong I think. Healing on stam dk is insane as an argonian.

You are right, we get very tanky in heavy armor. however the meta is just too much damage we gonna die regardless. and the loss of dmg by going heavy hit our dots even more, that anyone with half a brain using vigor will survive through it.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It could use better passives tbh. Besides that a stamina spammable would be nice to not force you into so many weapon skills. Otherwise yeah I think they are in a pretty good spot.

Idk, DK passives are pretty awesome. Stamina and magicka can make use of just about all of them if not all. And having 5 seconds of major meaning + minor brutality is awesome. They're definitely not top tier but imo they're pretty solid. I think they have more solo value than group value perhaps?
  • gannicus1389
    gannicus1389
    ✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »

Idk, DK passives are pretty awesome. Stamina and magicka can make use of just about all of them if not all. And having 5 seconds of major meaning + minor brutality is awesome. They're definitely not top tier but imo they're pretty solid. I think they have more solo value than group value perhaps?

searing heat = only 3% dmg increase on a DoT skill... could be a bit more.

world in ruin, AoE poison/fire damage increase by 6%. again, damage low, and for stamin DK it affects only noxious breath which is lame damage anyways...

elder dragon = 5% health recovery per draconic ability slotted. lame... even if you make a full bar of draconic abilities, which beats the purpose of stam dk anyways...

the other passives are nice, but we either need more damage passives on our dots, or some of our dots reworked to be a consistented or burst dmg.
  • Left4Daud
    Left4Daud
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been doing alright on my PVP main who is a stamDK but it does feel masochistic at times.

It really feels like anything that a stamDK can do, another stam spec can do better.

IMO (regarding solo que / play) in the hands of the same player the rankings of viability would go like:

Stamblade
    Stamden
    Stamsorc
    Stamplar
    StamDK

I want StamDK to get some small adjustments, but I don’t want them to get overbuffed and then all of a sudden everyone is a StamDK.

Some small cost reduction to our Magicka utility skills, maybe converting Green Dragon Blood to a stam heal, and a Noxious Breath re-work could go a long way in easing some of the pain of the class, without catapulting them to the top of the PVP food chain.

Again, this is just my opinion and I’m far from the most experienced in the class.
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IDK a ton about sDK, but I DO know that their kit seems tied closely to Ultimate and access to Mending. If I were going to play sDK I'd focus on Ultimate and healing as my strengths.

1H/Shield offbar for Heroic Slash ult regen + Reverb bash for defile. Bloodspawn. Do people use sets like Shacklebreaker on sDK? You could have crazy Maj. Mending uptime with the Magicka from a set like that, IDK.
  • gannicus1389
    gannicus1389
    ✭✭✭
    Left4Daud wrote: »
    I have been doing alright on my PVP main who is a stamDK but it does feel masochistic at times.

It really feels like anything that a stamDK can do, another stam spec can do better.

IMO (regarding solo que / play) in the hands of the same player the rankings of viability would go like:

Stamblade
    Stamden
    Stamsorc
    Stamplar
    StamDK

I want StamDK to get some small adjustments, but I don’t want them to get overbuffed and then all of a sudden everyone is a StamDK.

Some small cost reduction to our Magicka utility skills, maybe converting Green Dragon Blood to a stam heal, and a Noxious Breath re-work could go a long way in easing some of the pain of the class, without catapulting them to the top of the PVP food chain.

Again, this is just my opinion and I’m far from the most experienced in the class.

THAT IS exactly how I feel.

I feel like any other class can do my job better. Other stam classes are going to be more useful as they provide more burst than us. Our dot is for sustained fights, and a lot of things can heal, or delay its effect, if the meta was not so burst, yeah sure, it would be cool. We are good 1 v 1oners, but thatis about it.

And your point is interesting...

Maybe if they don't want to make us risking getting overpowered in buffing our damage/reworking dmg skills, perhaps they should let us use MORE OFTEN what make us different from other classes. Let us enjoy more our magicka abilities. fragmented shield cost way too high, and so does green dragon blood. you use one or the other because you already have to spend magicka to keep up volatile armor. so it leave you like 2 uses of either shield or wings or green dragon blood; hence, making our kit hurt without much else to offer except our weak dots.
    Edited by gannicus1389 on August 10, 2018 1:33AM
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damage is too high/TTK is too low and healing too strong (because it has to be) for dots to be great so imo claw/breath are mostly useless fluff damage that make little to no difference in determining whether you secure a kill or not.
    Edited by ecru on August 10, 2018 1:43PM
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • gannicus1389
    gannicus1389
    ✭✭✭
    yes. I feel like it is fluffy damage vs anything that has a shield or good h eals, or purge.
  • The_Brosteen
    The_Brosteen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel awkward reading this thread because everyone seems to think dot builds aren't effective but i only use dot builds on my stamina characters and it works great for me :neutral:

I get the point on relying on weapon abilities alot for stamina dk, but I do the same for my stamsorc as well. It's not something that bothers me, personally.

But using master axes 2h & dual wield gives you quite a bit of damage output. On top of that, using dot poisons and venemous claw will help your sustain on a dk. Its bursty when all the dots tick at once which seems to surprise people because alot of times they can go from 80% to execute range in a second or two. Makes whoever you're fighting stay defensive then you just fossilize and it just overwhelms them.
  • gannicus1389
    gannicus1389
    ✭✭✭
    I feel awkward reading this thread because everyone seems to think dot builds aren't effective but i only use dot builds on my stamina characters and it works great for me :neutral:

I get the point on relying on weapon abilities alot for stamina dk, but I do the same for my stamsorc as well. It's not something that bothers me, personally.

But using master axes 2h & dual wield gives you quite a bit of damage output. On top of that, using dot poisons and venemous claw will help your sustain on a dk. Its bursty when all the dots tick at once which seems to surprise people because alot of times they can go from 80% to execute range in a second or two. Makes whoever you're fighting stay defensive then you just fossilize and it just overwhelms them.

DoTs are nice, but for long fights. I do well in bgs dont get me wrong, but once you are in a higher lvl of players that understand the game, manage purges or heals well, the dots get less and less effective to secure or get kills, where burst classes will have a tremendous advantage because of that.

throw in a healer, and then we are almost negated out of existence if the healer is good.

the master sword and axes bleeds pretty much works the same way to almost any class.. except they will have the burst and the dot pressure while we have just dots on top of other dots.

master sword also does good for any class, and if you ask me, the master bleeding swords are just broken imo. they are just cancerous just like sloads, you go press one key and you wait for things to happen. not necessarily my way to have fun in the game.
  • The_Brosteen
    The_Brosteen
    ✭✭✭✭✭

DoTs are nice, but for long fights. I do well in bgs dont get me wrong, but once you are in a higher lvl of players that understand the game, manage purges or heals well, the dots get less and less effective to secure or get kills, where burst classes will have a tremendous advantage because of that.

throw in a healer, and then we are almost negated out of existence if the healer is good.

the master sword and axes bleeds pretty much works the same way to almost any class.. except they will have the burst and the dot pressure while we have just dots on top of other dots.

master sword also does good for any class, and if you ask me, the master bleeding swords are just broken imo. they are just cancerous just like sloads, you go press one key and you wait for things to happen. not necessarily my way to have fun in the game.

How is it broken if someone managing heals/purge well can "negate them out of existence"?
  • gannicus1389
    gannicus1389
    ✭✭✭

How is it broken if someone managing heals/purge well can "negate them out of existence"?

You have apoint. It is still stronger than any class dot or ability though.
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You have apoint. It is still stronger than any class dot or ability though.

Make their dots instantly deal full damage remaining on the dots if purged.
  • gannicus1389
    gannicus1389
    ✭✭✭
    make venomous claw apply major defile would be nice too.
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭

702.jpg
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    make venomous claw apply major defile would be nice too.

Its a poison ability, though. Would need a serious cost increase to add defile. Not worth imo, there are other sources.
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget flames of oblivion scales with your stam stats. I use that and crushing weapon from Psijic line to weave direct burst into a dotted opponent
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • gannicus1389
    gannicus1389
    ✭✭✭
    Grimlok_S wrote: »
    Don't forget flames of oblivion scales with your stam stats. I use that and crushing weapon from Psijic line to weave direct burst into a dotted opponent

oh how could I not think of it. a 1.8k~2k dmg every 5 seconds. it all the class needed to be relevant again in bg.
  • gannicus1389
    gannicus1389
    ✭✭✭
    sarcasm aside.
    the nail was put when they reduced our meele range and removed snares from reapplying from venomous claw. now we are easier to be kite, a stam sorc is almost untargetable while doing dmg just from existing.

the class desperate needs help.

I just uninstalled ESO. MIGHT come back if the devs rework *** from this class. I am not gonna reroll again just to join the fotm's wagon

bye eso
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok cya

Stamdk is bumpin tho.
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • gannicus1389
    gannicus1389
    ✭✭✭
    Grimlok_S wrote: »
    Ok cya

Stamdk is bumpin tho.

so many good pvp stam dks quit the game.. even big streamers that only played DK ever since launch taking breaks from the game. but the white knight here goes against baddies once in a while and think the class is in a good spot.
  • Freddycruz89
    Freddycruz89
    ✭✭✭
    StamDK DoT's need some work if we are to stand our ground. Maybe more (Or strengthen) options through morphs, more defile access to pair them with. I currently enjoy the 1v1 in PVP, but as soon as anyone else joins I'm done.

It's fun to see people damage dump and stun and then run when they realize you wont go down that easy. That's when the thrill of the hunt begins. Snipe to apply defile. Poison arrow to soften them up. The shield charge to close that gap and get up close and personal.

Now the real fun begins as you realize you wont be getting away that easy either. As your armor is pierced and the poison arrow dot starts to tick harder the panic clouds your mind as you ponder a fight or flight response as your resources begin to falter.

The prey fights back in a desperate response to survive, but my regen holds and block hinders your last efforts. Wings reflect your spells, defensive posture restores my health. That's when I claw you and you start to run away again as I snipe and laugh and watch you die from the second poison arrow shot which ticks harder the lower your health drops.

Now, lets look this form another scenario.

Two players tag team you. You stand your ground and pray for reinforcements. You shield up and careful retreat to group. Or you run and die a coward with bags of tea for teeth.
    Octavius Maximus, Founder of The Maester' Order
    PS4 NA. Role Player. Housing Fanatic. Part Time Achievement Hunter.
    | Princely Dawnlight Palace |
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game shouldn’t be balanced around BGs their non competitive scrimmages and the game modes are mostly all terrible if it involves a flag.
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DK dots should have a mechanic to consume them for the amount of damage remaining on the dot to that target if they are purged. Would be a nice buff.
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    StamDK DoT's need some work if we are to stand our ground. Maybe more (Or strengthen) options through morphs, more defile access to pair them with. I currently enjoy the 1v1 in PVP, but as soon as anyone else joins I'm done.

It's fun to see people damage dump and stun and then run when they realize you wont go down that easy. That's when the thrill of the hunt begins. Snipe to apply defile. Poison arrow to soften them up. The shield charge to close that gap and get up close and personal.

Now the real fun begins as you realize you wont be getting away that easy either. As your armor is pierced and the poison arrow dot starts to tick harder the panic clouds your mind as you ponder a fight or flight response as your resources begin to falter.

The prey fights back in a desperate response to survive, but my regen holds and block hinders your last efforts. Wings reflect your spells, defensive posture restores my health. That's when I claw you and you start to run away again as I snipe and laugh and watch you die from the second poison arrow shot which ticks harder the lower your health drops.

Two players tag team you. You stand your ground and pray for reinforcements. You shield up and careful retreat to group. Or you run and die a coward with bags of tea for teeth.

Honestly 3 dots (bloodcraze, noxious breath, and venomous claw) ticking into a leap reverse slice is devastating. Shoot even just noxious breath, venom claw, leap is nasty. But they need a better spammable tbh.
  • gannicus1389
    gannicus1389
    ✭✭✭

Honestly 3 dots (bloodcraze, noxious breath, and venomous claw) ticking into a leap reverse slice is devastating. Shoot even just noxious breath, venom claw, leap is nasty. But they need a better spammable tbh.

still too long for damage to be relevant. as a stamin DK I really never had issue to healing through dots of another stam dk...
    only dot really hard to deal with adding on other stuff is the master weapons bleed. but this is not exactly a stam dk skill.

I made a stam warden so I don't quit the game. I still love the game, and the content, and I think ESO is the best MMO out there (played about everything out there).

and honestly, I was shocked of how much I could pull out with warden using same gear with limited passives because I didn't have enough skill points off the bat. the warden is missing several medium armor passives, class passives, fighter's guild, and other passives and I feel tankier than DK in the same gear.... and I have access to insane burst set up that dk doesn't.

an when I fight a stam dk in bg it turns out to be "how cute little think, my leeching vines almost negate your cute dots"...

yeah... specially playing a different class I see how DK is obsolute as a class. the "tank signature class" is less tankier than a "healer" and have less access to burst. the class is so desperate that it has to go medium armor dual wield to try to pull some damage....
    and honestly, I saw , including myself, so many stam dks that end up putting crazy amount of damage in a BG match... but the scores are just "lul"... that you realize it is mostly fluffy healed through damage.

it made me remind me of a frost death knight in the beginning of legion wow update. the class had "strongg" dots, and would end up a pvp match with a ton of "dps" but wouldn't kill anyone because it was basically fluffy healed through damage...

and this is the spot where I feel like stam dk is right now.

yes, I will have some good games, and kill a lot of people, but i think once your mmr is up, and you are fight players just as good or better than you, you get very easily outclassed....

my opinion on stam dk situation remains.