The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What is Your Character's Backstory?

Aliyavana
Aliyavana
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
hjy7kwa3zhnp.png

My character Zebendal is a man who is obsessed with learning the secrets of mechanical technology. He came to the clockwork city to learn of its secrets and he rose through the ranks to eventually became a clockwork apostle. Eventually he became fed up with clockwork technology being kept a secret from mainland tamriel and plots to escape back to mainland tamriel and bring his newfound knowledge into mundane nirn. He has found a outsider who goes by the name of Neramo who volunteers to take him back to tamriel for the price of clockwork knowledge, a mutually beneficial transaction and one that can potentially make nirn a better place. Can you imagine if a soldier lost his limbs in a war and you would be able to replace his limbs with ones of metallic brass? Or age becoming irrelevant as you are able to replace your body with synthetic clockwork and become essentially immortal?
q2prc79p89z8.png
The new smuggled clockwork pet really fits my characters backstory.

Note: Not reflected ingame but my character also replaced his limbs with clockwork limbs. Wtb noble suit with clockwork limbs
Edited by Aliyavana on August 9, 2018 9:13PM
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This character and one of mine really need to be introduced to one another. ;)

My main focus in games like this is character and role play, so I have personalities and stories for all of them (some to varying degrees of polish). One, like your own, @Aliyavana , is an Imperial obsessed with mechanical technology. His backstory is a bit different, though. Being an Imperial, he left his homeland because of that nasty worm cult business. He had a passing interest in archeology and exploring ancient ruins, which ended up becoming a full-blown obsession with the Dwemer through his journeys. While generally non-religious, experiences in clockwork and with Sotha Sil just about made an apostle out of him. As it is, he already replaced... er... upgraded some of his appendages in the proper apostolic fashion.

Playing an artificer is something I do across games, and unfortunately it is a background that is very rarely supported in fantasy games. I would squee from now until next year if Elder Scrolls released "Artificer" as a new character class... but that will never happen. Originally I made the character as a stamina dragonknight, but the class flavor was just a very poor fit for the character concept and I didn't like how stamina DK played. I rerolled him as a stamina templar and my main tank, which has worked out much better. What class felt right for you, @Aliyavana ?

• Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    This character and one of mine really need to be introduced to one another. ;)

My main focus in games like this is character and role play, so I have personalities and stories for all of them (some to varying degrees of polish). One, like your own, @Aliyavana , is an Imperial obsessed with mechanical technology. His backstory is a bit different, though. Being an Imperial, he left his homeland because of that nasty worm cult business. He had a passing interest in archeology and exploring ancient ruins, which ended up becoming a full-blown obsession with the Dwemer through his journeys. While generally non-religious, experiences in clockwork and with Sotha Sil just about made an apostle out of him. As it is, he already replaced... er... upgraded some of his appendages in the proper apostolic fashion.

Playing an artificer is something I do across games, and unfortunately it is a background that is very rarely supported in fantasy games. I would squee from now until next year if Elder Scrolls released "Artificer" as a new character class... but that will never happen. Originally I made the character as a stamina dragonknight, but the class flavor was just a very poor fit for the character concept and I didn't like how stamina DK played. I rerolled him as a stamina templar and my main tank, which has worked out much better. What class felt right for you, @Aliyavana ?

In my backstory, my limbs were replaced with clockwork as well. I modeled my characters looks around steampunk type clothing and I feel like stam sorcs are good because its like electricity you are emiting out of your synthetic body. in lore also clockwork legs make you not tire and that also goes good for the mobility of a stam sorc.
    wlkrxksarjbl.png
    Edited by Aliyavana on August 9, 2018 9:12PM
  • Valkysas154
    Valkysas154
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My characters story started on a Stormy Grahtwood day, My Mother in the kitchen chopping up some Bear meat for the nights meal, My father out hunting again on his favorite cliff side when desaster struck with all the rains half the cliff gave away and he fell 50ft down, you might think not so bad for a wood elf they got acrobat he will be ok, well he was but as with all things the natural reaction to falling is to grab something, well he did lots of tree branches and even killed a sapling.

Next thing i know half the village is busting into are Snugpod and dragging us out side screaming that my father broke the green pack, They chopped him up right in-front of us and was even going to make me and my mother EAT him.
    When my mother did something even more tabo The WILD HUNT, in revenge for her husband to protect her daughter from them she tore them to peaces only leaving me behind as she ran into the woods never to be seen again, I was found 3 days later by a traveling high elf Templar

That how i justify being a wood elf Templar any way and sorry for the structure i know i suck at it.

• Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mostly got backgrounds for my characters, not actual stories.
    The most fleshed out, and only one I got a backstory for is my Bosmer (Warden).

The story of my Bosmer begins in a destroyed settlement somewhere in the Reach.
    Among the burning ruins, the Reachmen invaders almost overlook the crying woodelf despite her standing in plain view. Recognizing the clothes being too ragged and dirty already, the chief realizes that the girl had been homeless even before their raid, however her inconspicuous appearance intrigues him.
    Deciding to spare the life of the child, he takes her back to their encampment. Presenting her to the Hagfeather Coven, the wyresses recognize that this beggar received the blessing of disregard from Namira, which ultimately let to her being accepted into the clan.

From the Reachmen she learned language, how to hunt animals as well as table manners befitting for a woman of the Reach, while the wyresses taught her about the lady of rot and decay. Eventually she received the name Izetta.

As Izetta matured, the lifestyle of the Namira worshipers was ingrained into her very being. Able to lead the coven herself, but without the need for a successor for years, the decision was made for her to start an offshoot of the coven by herself, to spread the word of Namira throughout the rest of Tamriel.

From there she starts travelling, eating whatever (or whoever) she finds, behaving socially unacceptable whenever possible and finding joy in grossing others out.
    Edited by Ratzkifal on August 10, 2018 1:40AM
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • dtsharples
    dtsharples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to think that my Crafter - a plump, demure Lady of quite some years ran Gardener House as an Orphanage.
    It was the only way that I could think that Orcs, Bretons + Redguards would behave like a Family, sharing gold, clothes, homes and bank accounts.
    The very simple back-story is that all of my characters were orphans who ended up living together in Gardner House, sharing all of the little that they had.
    Some lost parents to bandits, some to War, some were found in baskets in the streets of Wayrest or Evermore.
    Growing up from youngsters into the warriors, healers and thieves they are today, they created their own little family and still share everything, even if they have now risen above their humble beginnings :)
  • ArthurMatheson
    It started as my first attempt to make a character and a name that doesn't fit his race, but my Artora Modes is an argonian that ended up as "adoptive child" of a dunmer couple, probably thinking of him as the son of a couple of slaves the couple first thought his permanence to be short but as nobody in that area of Morrowind came to claim him they ended up keeping him as a sort of pet after a couple arguments.
    Artora soon proved to make himself worthwhile for the couple and they started treating him more as a proper son than just a slave in training, that way he learned how to read and even showed some good skill in the art of magic, but for some reasons still unknown to him he eventually got told to go away and not turn his back.
    His roaming aimlessly turned him to some petty thievery as still a young man with no proper education in self sufficiency which got him to trouble with guards multiple times, but one day, as he was venturing to another city, he found out about mercenary work and his possibility to gain the bread he brings on the table without breaking the law for once.
    Fast forward to him now and Artora Modes is a strong mercenary of good morals if a little naive, his prominence with magic and somewhat savage approach to it makes him look much closer to a dragon than any lizard while fighting and he is sure to always be the last one standing in a group thanks to his thick skim that's quick to mend and a dragon's blood pumping in his veins, his service had him make ally and foe with a lot of nobles because of his lax approach on everything as well some other friends down the line with the contracts he took, his lack of a link to the hist makes him a bit of an alien to his own kin but otherwise he lives with no regrets for his past.

And here it is, at least a work in progress version of it, this is my main's story as a dragon-like buff lizard with the silly name and a golden heart, pretty much all his main defining characteristics went all there by accident but that's what makes him more special than any alt I could come up with.
    Edited by ArthurMatheson on August 18, 2018 10:14PM
  • NeighborhoodKhajiit
    NeighborhoodKhajiit
    Soul Shriven
    Honestly, mine is not as well thought out as the ones I see here.
    Qa’shanji is a Khajiiti priest of the Moons. He had spent his entire life wanting to become a priest. Basically, the temple he served at ended up being destroyed by dro-m’Athra and he ended up wanting revenge. Throwing Daedra into the same group as dro-m’Athra.
    Now, I have a really angry priest who runs around with a great sword.
    The FitnessGram™ Pacer Test is a multistage aerobic capacity test that progressively gets more difficult as it continues. The 20 meter pacer test will begin in 30 seconds. Line up at the start. The running speed starts slowly, but gets faster each minute after you hear this signal. [beep] A single lap should be completed each time you hear this sound. [ding] Remember to run in a straight line, and run as long as possible. The second time you fail to complete a lap before the sound, your test is over. The test will begin on the word start. On your mark, get ready, start.
  • Nayawin14
    Nayawin14
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome stories! :)
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    Or age becoming irrelevant as you are able to replace your body with synthetic clockwork and become essentially immortal?

Irrelevant Age, Immortality? So your character aims at a world where all chicks look like 22 but are 200 +y.o. bionicles?

You have now idea how immortality is actually boring, mortal :|
    And here it is, at least a work in progress version of it, this is my main's story as a dragon-like buff lizard with the silly name and a golden heart, pretty much all his main defining characteristics went all there by accident but that's what makes him more special than any alt I could come up with.

Ariana Dragondor: Awesome! That's still better than having a golden name and a silly heart... *giggles*

I would have love to pop here with some awesome backstory too, but I made my characters in first place so that I had folks around to share intelligent conversation with... So, most of my characters are closer to the concept of Planeswalkers developed in magic the gathering, with an infinite number of plans and therefore different/messy backwards stories ultimately.

For example it's not rare I play the same character in 2 totally different video games.

Don't know if that make sense or is an heresy? Well, one day I'll try to write down something - but if I really start my fear is that it comes out to be reeeally long hehe :p

• Trabunt
    Trabunt
    Soul Shriven
    I'm currently playing an Imperial Warden Tank who's technically a part of the DC, but I've been running through the AD questline with him before anything else. Lorewise, it's because he's secretly a double agent and is truly loyal to the DC, and he's slowly but surely building a name for himself in the AD to get close to Ayrenn and, when the time is right, drive a dagger through her back.
    The actual reason I'm doing the AD questline though is because I wanted to play through it without actually being a part of the AD. Call me stubborn, but my first character was with the DC, and it feels wrong to be in any other faction.
    "You can't just set a stick on fire and call it a flame staff!"
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imperial Warden refugee child grown up with Argonians and Bosmer :)