The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What makes a good raid leader?

Tasear
Tasear
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Just curious on people's thoughts.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some amount of flexibility. I still recall the HRC run where the group lead insisted everyone stand in the red on purpose for the fight with the Warrior and then kept getting annoyed when those of us with lighter armor died repeatedly.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depending on the skill level or experience of the other guild mates. Patience you and your guild mates might wipe and die alot and it might take longer than expected to beat a particular raid so don't just quit or throw a fit.

Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honesty, integrity, fairness and patience. Has a vision where to go with the team, knows what s/he is doing, doesnt (need to) yell at ppl.
    Someone to follow to hell and back.
  • Grape_Force
    A good understanding of the mechanics of the raid is always key.
    I also like someone who is understanding of both IRL and in game issues (ie: wipes)
    I always have respect for someone who can have the patience to deal with the new people. We all had to start somewhere
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like a Raid Leader who runs normal trials as if they are Vet so we dont learn bad habits. Also a raid leader who keeps the group on mission, as it can be like herding cats.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I like a Raid Leader who runs normal trials as if they are Vet so we dont learn bad habits. Also a raid leader who keeps the group on mission, as it can be like herding cats.

I agree with Nestor. I dont like it when you are on for a quick run and the group is chaotic or messing about like everyone has all night to play.

I'm mellow on success or not - but regardless I want the leader to remain cool. no EGO etc, and if people are going to advise new folks be mindful of how they do it - i was put off the trials scene in part by the way the 'pro' guys talked on here, but also some very bad experiecnes with my first few runs. Whereas PVP folks seem to take you under their wing and show you the way.

Tolerance for fresh people I guess would be it in a nutshell.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knowledge is the biggest thing IMO. I can live with most personality traits as long as they know what they are doing in the raid. The only thing that really bothers me is when the lead does not understand mechanics.
  • King_Thelon
    King_Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    6 beers and a negate
  • TazESO
    TazESO
    ✭✭✭
    eso_nya wrote: »
    Honesty, integrity, fairness and patience. Has a vision where to go with the team, knows what s/he is doing, doesnt (need to) yell at ppl.
    Someone to follow to hell and back.

This.
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some amount of flexibility. I still recall the HRC run where the group lead insisted everyone stand in the red on purpose for the fight with the Warrior and then kept getting annoyed when those of us with lighter armor died repeatedly.

And that raid leader still remembers the 1 noob in the group that refused to stack with the others in the rectangle and didn't understand the "dodge roll out and run back in" mechanic ;)
  • Freddycruz89
    Freddycruz89
    ✭✭✭
    Business centered, but a GOOD leader's qualities are transcendent regardless of trade.

FORBES: 10 Unique Perspectives On What Makes A Great Leader
    Octavius Maximus, Founder of The Maester' Order
    PS4 NA. Role Player. Housing Fanatic. Part Time Achievement Hunter.
    | Princely Dawnlight Palace |
  • sevomd69
    sevomd69
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Extensive knowledge and experience tempered by the patience of Job...
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agree with the posts about it being mostly having a good attitude. At times I was on the verge of saying something like: "There are a LOT of people who can clear this raid, dude. Maybe try being one of the cool ones, instead of striving to be the bossiest and most pedantic one?"

I've had plenty of fun in groups with laughably low dps, but lots of cool people. We cleared stuff more or less on pace with groups with WAY higher dps, but jerk leads who just cursed and whined at everyone the whole way. I remember a run where the group collectively decided to die / kite bosses / etc. just to get a rise out of an out-of-control leader. Fun times. Petty, but fun.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

And that raid leader still remembers the 1 noob in the group that refused to stack with the others in the rectangle and didn't understand the "dodge roll out and run back in" mechanic ;)

There was more than one of us, and I got yelled at for leaving the stack too.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are many things that can make a leader great, they face a hard job. I've both lead and been lead in countless trials and these are some of the things that are important to me.

Patience. People have mentioned it earlier but again, this is very very important. You are not just a leader, you are a teacher, be patient and teaching. If someone does something wrong or the group wipes on a hard fight, don't get angry, don't take out frustration on the team. Everyone makes mistakes and not everyone has the same level of experience. Want to make a shout out to @code65536 for personifying this trait while leading, a true leader and a teacher, really miss running with you.

Do Not ASSUME. Never make assumptions about anything, you might think its super obvious that the way to do it is the one you know, but not everyone does things the same way, small details can make or break a fight. I hated when I went into a Trial as a Tank, asked "how do you want me to tank this certain thing, some people do things differently" and got the response "Just do what you always do" or "Doesn't matter" or worse ".....". It always ended the same way, we got to said fight and "What are you doing?", "That's not how you do it." Please do not be that leader.

Also never assume everyone knows the trial, some people are too afraid to say they don't know, make them feel comfortable and let them know its ok to tell you so you can teach them. And never assume gear set ups.

Now for me when I lead, this was important. Have a plan, organize, know the team. I always did bit of a check list before each raid. Was everyone on teamspeak, did everyone have their soulgems, armor repaired, weapons charged, (back when everyone did TBS I had to make sure everyone had 2 mundus stones), ask if anyone didn't know the raid or only done certain parts, assign teams if necessary and lastly go over battleplan and do ready check. If any of those things were out of order we had to fix that before going. As well, I requested TS for all Trials, normal as well as veteran, cause I believed it was more fun, more organized and was more of a teaching experience.

As others have said, running Normal the same way as you do Veteran was my way of doing it. Why do things one way, learn to do it like that and then when you start doing veteran you have to relearn everything? Obviously this and the TS for all Trials was meet with opposition when forming non "core" team runs in the Guild or across multiple guilds, but I stuck to it for what in my opinion was the bettered experience for all involved.

Last but not least, having FUN! When you can have fun with your team that is the best kind of trial you can have. Even through my routine at the starts I was ok with messing around in non progression runs. If we did it just for gear or we didn't care about score or time(for achievements for people or others), we messed around a lot. Like, pulling more than usual, getting someone killed, trying new tactics, there is fun to be had. The right people and the right atmosphere is needed for this though, harder to do with randoms, friends are a wonderful thing.

Hope this helped some people out. :tongue:
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    6 beers and a negate

As a raid leader, the quoted above has my vote.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    6 beers and a negate

This one needs a meme.