The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Movement Speed and Sprint Speed Question

paulsimonps
paulsimonps
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
So I got a question regarding the functionality of movement speed. So I know that the current cap for increasing movement speed is 100%, or double the base movement speed. But what is the base counted from? Is it from walking, or sprinting? I want to have a farming character maximized for running but I think I am over doing it at the moment. I also saw that there were sets that had different wordings that made me want to ask these questions. Fiords increases the bonus movement speed of sprint while major and minor expedition simply increases movement speed. That makes me believe that walking is the base movement speed and sprinting adds another % bonus when active, but then how does these effect stack? Additive or multiplicative? If the later than Fiords wording is useless and if they are the first then is Fiords multiplicative with sprint speed and sprint speed is additive with Expedition?

Anyone got some answers to clear these things up for me? What is the formula for sprint speed and how to min max it.

Best Answers

• Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I figured out a few updates ago and what we use on the Build Editor is:
    Sprint = Base * (40% + Everything) * WindRunning

The 100% cap should include the 40% from the base walking speed meaning you can have a maximum of +60% from other effects not counting the +2% from the WindRunning CP (unsure if this lets you gets a little above the cap).

All effects are additive with the exception of WindRunning which is multiplicative.

Note that its been 2-3 updates since I tested this in-game and there could well be subtle changes made.
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
    Answer ✓
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Since this is still in the Unanswered section, and I didn't see the answer I'd have given:

Fyrakin's Minimap addon has an option to display your movement speed.

When you're walking, you're at 100%. Sprinting raises it, Windrunning passive raises it, Major/Minor Expedition raises it, Swift jewelry raises it, speed boosting sets raise it. It reliably shows ~200% when you're capped (due to the aforementioned wonkieness), so I tend to view it as at least a fairly accurate guide.

For clarity: The addon's speed meter approximates your speed fairly well, presumably based on what x,y distance you're covering per second (since your "speed" drops noticeably when going up/down in elevation). You can choose the units of speed it displays, between ft/s, meters/s, and %. I recommend %. On flat ground, Running (not Sprinting / using Stamina) you're at ~100%. (The numbers fluctuate slightly due to the game's wonkiness in movement combined with how the addon has to measure it, I assume.) All speed-altering buffs (and debuffs!) affect your speed exactly as you'd expect on the meter. Doing this, you can easily see where your speed ends up with your chosen stable of buffs, and when you're capped you know it. Hope this helps explain it better.

Also very handy for determining Sneak speeds :)

@paulsimonps , on the off chance you're still looking into this, perhaps this'll help you. Or hopefully anyone else who ends up here via Google, etc.
    Edited by GreenHere on August 8, 2018 3:02PM
    Answer ✓
  • Ivan363
    Ivan363
    I have the same question. I would also like an answer
    HI
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not 100% sure but I believe it's walking at base, sprinting is added on top and counts towards the cap. I believe with swift etc it's possible to get close to the point where holding down sprint starts adding little to no speed.
    NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
    Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
    Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel
  • Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn’t know much about movement speed bonuses all up, but I might wager that there surely must be some sort of diminishing return with movement speed bonuses as it increases with the right passives, buffs, etc.
    I know what you di-Iddly did... (you would be wise not to do that again during a time when Suspicion in the gaming space is at an all time high.)
    by not actually revealing real drop tables in the game for all items, you only prove what has been proven with proof of concept that you can/will manipulate item drop chances based on certain elements performed by the player.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The 100% cap should include the 40% from the base walking speed meaning you can have a maximum of +60% from other effects not counting the +2% from the WindRunning CP (unsure if this lets you gets a little above the cap).

All effects are additive with the exception of WindRunning which is multiplicative.

Note that its been 2-3 updates since I tested this in-game and there could well be subtle changes made.

@Reorx_Holybeard

Great info, thank you. I was planning on testing it myself but I was unsure on how to test it and get proper measurements on the actual speed. What was your process? Glad to know that sprinting is 40%.
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Reorx_Holybeard

Great info, thank you. I was planning on testing it myself but I was unsure on how to test it and get proper measurements on the actual speed. What was your process? Glad to know that sprinting is 40%.

I added a very basic speedometer in our uespLog. Just gets the player's position every second and displays an average speed. You need a flat area you can run for a while in a straight line and take an average over a bunch of attempts. There's a little variation and "wonkiness" in the movement speed.
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @paulsimonps This is the stats from one of my characters found using UESP Build Editor found here -> http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=37318 Its my fastest moving character, but it isn't designed to be so like you are looking to build
    Walk Speed
    WalkSpeed =
    (BaseWalkSpeed)*(1 + Buff.MovementSpeed + Skill.MovementSpeed + Item.MovementSpeed + Mundus.MovementSpeed)*(1 + CP.MovementSpeed)
    BaseWalkSpeed - 3 -
    Buff.MovementSpeed 30% Major Expedition (Warden's Falcon Swiftness)
    Skill.MovementSpeed 0%
    Item.MovementSpeed 0%
    Mundus.MovementSpeed 0%
    CP.MovementSpeed 2% Wind Running Star
    Walk Speed - 3.98m/s
    Sprint Speed
    SprintSpeed =
    (BaseWalkSpeed)*(1 + 0.40 + Set.SprintSpeed + Buff.MovementSpeed + Item.MovementSpeed + Buff.SprintSpeed + Skill.MovementSpeed + Skill.SprintSpeed + Mundus.MovementSpeed)*(1 + CP.MovementSpeed)
    BaseWalkSpeed 3
    Set.SprintSpeed 0%
    Buff.MovementSpeed 30%Major Expedition (Warden's Falcon Swiftness)
    Item.MovementSpeed 0%
    Buff.SprintSpeed 0%
    Skill.MovementSpeed 0%
    Skill.SprintSpeed 28% Orc racial 10% + Medium Armors 18%
    Mundus.MovementSpeed 0%
    Sprint Speed 6.0588m/s
    Swim Speed
    SwimSpeed =
    ((BaseWalkSpeed)*(1 - 0.40)*(1 + Skill.SwimSpeed))*(1 + Buff.MovementSpeed + Mundus.MovementSpeed + Item.MovementSpeed + CP.MovementSpeed)
    BaseWalkSpeed 3
    Skill.SwimSpeed 0%
    Mundus.MovementSpeed 0%
    Item.MovementSpeed 0%
    Swim Speed 2.376m/s
    Sneak Speed
    SneakSpeed =
    ((BaseWalkSpeed)*(1 + (-0.40)*(1 - Skill.NormalSneakSpeed) + Buff.MovementSpeed + Skill.MovementSpeed + Mundus.MovementSpeed + Item.MovementSpeed))*(1 + Skill2.SneakSpeed + CP.MovementSpeed)
    BaseWalkSpeed 3
    Skill.NormalSneakSpeed 1 Stage 4 Vampire 0 if not a vampire
    Skill.MovementSpeed 0%
    Mundus.MovementSpeed 0%
    Item.MovementSpeed 0%
    Skill2.SneakSpeed 0%
    Sneak Speed 3.978m/s If not a vampire than 2.753m/s
    Mounted Walk Speed
    MountWalkSpeed =
    ((BaseWalkSpeed)*(1 + 0.15 + MountSpeedBonus + Skill.MountSpeed + CP.MountSpeed))*(1 + Set.MountSpeed + Buff.MountSpeed)
    BaseWalkSpeed 3
    MountSpeedBonus 0
    Skill.MountSpeed 0%
    CP.MountSpeed 2% Wind Running Star
    Set.MountSpeed 0
    Buff.MountSpeed 30% Major Expedition (Warden's Falcon Swiftness)
    Mount Walk Speed 4.563m/s
    Mounted Run Speed
    MountRunSpeed =
    ((BaseWalkSpeed)*(1 + 0.45 + MountSpeedBonus + Skill.MountSpeed + CP.MountSpeed))*(1 + Set.MountSpeed + Buff.MountSpeed)
    BaseWalkSpeed 3
    MountSpeedBonus 0
    Skill.MountSpeed 0%
    CP.MountSpeed 2% Wind Running Star
    Set.MountSpeed 0
    Buff.MountSpeed 30%Major Expedition (Warden's Falcon Swiftness)
    Mount Run Speed 5.733m/s
    Hope this helps sort out the movement for you. I know its a little math heavy
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Warden Ice Tank (By far my favorite) -RIP #Nerfmire
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer(solo tanked), Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe,Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    Major
    Dragon Knight Healer (Since Homestead)
    Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer,
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe, Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor, Sunspire Saint,
    Others
    PvP StamDen, Warden Healer, MagDen, Stamplar, StamSorc, DK Failed Attempt, NB Failed Attempt

Playing BiS isn't impressive, playing unique at BiS lvl, THAT's impressive.

• Ramber
    Ramber
    ✭✭✭✭
    how is this in the unanswered section? :|:|
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ramber wrote: »
    how is this in the unanswered section? :|:|

Because topics that are made with the "Ask a Question" option need to have the OP pick an answer, from the replies, for it to be considered answered.
    Edited by Runs on July 20, 2018 1:09PM
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that the terrain is also a factor, in town on a cobblestone street I can get to 199.98% movement speed, out in the wilderness on a flat dirt road 189%.
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • Rebiludo
    Rebiludo
    ✭✭✭
    SneakSpeed =
    ((BaseWalkSpeed)*(1 + (-0.40)*(1 - Skill.NormalSneakSpeed) + Buff.MovementSpeed + Skill.MovementSpeed + Mundus.MovementSpeed + Item.MovementSpeed))*(1 + Skill2.SneakSpeed + CP.MovementSpeed)
    BaseWalkSpeed 3
    Skill.MovementSpeed 0%
    Mundus.MovementSpeed 0%
    Item.MovementSpeed 0%
    Skill2.SneakSpeed 0%

Thank you for this detail.
    To be sure of having understood before buy and farm item
    SneakSpeed =
    BaseWalkSpeed 3
    Buff.MovementSpeed 40% Major Expedition (Retreating Maneuver)+ Minor Expedition (Jailbreaker)
    Skill.MovementSpeed 0%
    Mundus.MovementSpeed 5% The Steed (or only sprint speed ?)
    Item.MovementSpeed 30% 3 x Ring & Necklace Swift
    Skill2.SneakSpeed 25% Concealed Weapon
    Sneak Speed 6.667m/s

Concealed weapon count for Skill.MovementSpeed or Skill2.SneakSpeed ?
    If Skill2.SneakSpeed... is better than sprint cap : 3*(1+1)*1.02 = 6.12m/s
    If Skill.MovementSpeed... is same

Edited by Rebiludo on September 10, 2018 11:50AM
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rebiludo wrote: »
    SneakSpeed =
    BaseWalkSpeed 3
    Skill.MovementSpeed 0%
    Mundus.MovementSpeed 0%
    Item.MovementSpeed 0%
    Skill2.SneakSpeed 0%

Thank you for this detail.
    To be sure of having understood before buy and farm item
    SneakSpeed =
    BaseWalkSpeed 3
    Buff.MovementSpeed 40% Major Expedition (Retreating Maneuver)+ Minor Expedition (Jailbreaker)
    Skill.MovementSpeed 0%
    Mundus.MovementSpeed 5% The Steed (or only sprint speed ?)
    Item.MovementSpeed 30% 3 x Ring & Necklace Swift
    Skill2.SneakSpeed 25% Concealed Weapon
    Sneak Speed 6.667m/s

Concealed weapon count for Skill.MovementSpeed or Skill2.SneakSpeed ?
    If Skill2.SneakSpeed... is better than sprint cap : 3*(1+1)*1.02 = 6.12m/s
    If Skill.MovementSpeed... is same

@Rebiludo Skill.MovementSpeed buffs all speeds, Mounted, and Sneak, Skill.SneakSpeed only buffs Sneaks Speed. And if you are a Stage 4 Vampire, or wearing certain Armor Sets, the 2 are equal anyway.
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Warden Ice Tank (By far my favorite) -RIP #Nerfmire
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer(solo tanked), Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe,Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    Major
    Dragon Knight Healer (Since Homestead)
    Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer,
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe, Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor, Sunspire Saint,
    Others
    PvP StamDen, Warden Healer, MagDen, Stamplar, StamSorc, DK Failed Attempt, NB Failed Attempt

Playing BiS isn't impressive, playing unique at BiS lvl, THAT's impressive.