Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Taunt Questions

Bede19025
Bede19025
Soul Shriven
1. I’m playing a DK with sword and shield. I’ve read that if I apply the taunt again before it’s effect expires I somehow screw it up. Is there something (an add on?) that would tell me when the effect will expire?

2. If I apply the taunt so I have to keep beating on the target to keep its attention or can I go apply the taunt to a different target to get another enemy focused on me?

3. I can’t seem to find an area of effect taunt. Does such a thing exist? If not, how am I supposed to keep a group of mobs on me?

4. Is there anything I can do to increase the duration of the taunt?

Thanks for any answers
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Not sure about add-ons, but you can certainly reapply a taunt before it expires without penalty. Just a reminder, some bosses break taunt for short times as a normal mechanic ... then they return to you until the taunt expires. Some bosses are immune to player taunts (e.g. the Planar Inhibitor in White Gold Tower)

2. Yes, you can definitely taunt another boss or mob or multiple bosses or mobs ... until each taunt expires. Very handy with the Netch adds in Darkshade Caverns II or Air Atronachs in City of Ash II.

3. No. You have to taunt each NPC separately. As you get more accustomed to the tanking role, these skills will improve.

4. No, taunts aren’t like buffs ... so they can’t be increased over the tooltip duration with other skills or sets (e.g. Jorvuld’s Guidance).

Edited by Taleof2Cities on August 3, 2018 8:33PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The other thing to remember about Puncture, the debuff to the bosses armor. This is in essence a DPS boost for the group. However, it has a shorter duration than the Taunt. So, you have to apply Puncture before the Taunt runs out, 12 secs for debuff and 15 secs for taunt.

The armor debuff is almost as important as the Taunt, so dont overlook it. And, even on bosses that ignore taunt, or have a mechanic that moves them away then they come back, the armor debuff is still applied
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rather than trying to taunt every mob, focus on the boss and heavy hitting adds like minibosses and two-handers who can one shot a DD.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rather than trying to taunt every mob, focus on the boss and heavy hitting adds like minibosses and two-handers who can one shot a DD.

That as well, Crowd Control Abilities such as Choking Talons will immobilize enemies around you, do that plus using Fiery Grip on targets far away from the big group and you are golden and people will love you.
  • Bede19025
    Bede19025
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you for your advice