Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

New player, Could use some help deciding on a class please.

Cyngar
Cyngar
I just picked up the game last weekend. I have barely played the game due to family/life, but plan on trying to get 5-10 hours a week as a casual game. However I'm really struggling with picking a class.

I started with a Orc DK, this was suggested to me by a friend. I'm doing 2h and it's ok so far but sure it's what I want to play, i got him to lvl 11.

I guess I'll try to let everyone know what play style I would like to play and hope to get some recommendations. Since this game is so new to me I'm confused when I try to find builds or guides for classes/play style.

I want a DPS character, I would like to have PvP as the main focus. I usually have done Tanks in past MMOs for PvE but since i have limited time now, I just want to dps.

I prefer Melee DPS and if i do range DPS I would prefer a bow vs magic. From what I gathered, i want a Stamina build, is this correct?

Ideally I would want a character that has some CC and the some crazy burst damage, Prefer a non glass canon, but don't want a tank style DPS that has crappy dmg. If it has good utility, thats a bonus for me.

So there it is. I hope I'm not asking for too much in a class, I feel my needs are pretty low.

If you reply, could you please give some detail vs just "hey you want this class".

Thanks

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want a bow for DPS, you want a stamina based character, correct. For PVP, 2 handed is very effective though dual wield works as well for your other weapon.

I'd probably go with a Stam warden in PVP. Stam Wardens have good defensive skills and self-heals, but also have class skills that do good burst damage. Stam wardens can easily adapt to be more or less tanky, do group support or go solo.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that stamina warden is a good choice. I have one and love her. Yes, you definitely want a stamina character. Mine is a Wood Elf because I like their high stamina regeneration, plus some poison and disease resistance, which would also help in PvP. If you don't like elves, though, Redguard is a solid choice, but Orcs, Nords and Imperials work too. Some people use Argonians for everything (both magicka and stamina) because they also have poison/disease resistance, plus if they drink a potion, they can get most of their stamina, magicka and health back, so they're somewhat powerful for this reason. The only issue with using an Argonian as a stamina character, though, is they'll have a smaller stamina pool to draw from because they don't have any natural bonuses to stamina, so you'll run out of stamina more quickly than you would if you'd chosen a Wood Elf or Redguard.

Wood Elves and Redguards have the most stamina sustain out of all the races, meaning they won't run out of stamina as fast as other races.

Here's some lists of the ESO races and what racial skills they have (click the tabs at the top to see the stats for all the races):
    https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Racial+Skills
  • Cyngar
    Cyngar
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    I agree that stamina warden is a good choice. I have one and love her. Yes, you definitely want a stamina character. Mine is a Wood Elf because I like their high stamina regeneration, plus some poison and disease resistance, which would also help in PvP. If you don't like elves, though, Redguard is a solid choice, but Orcs, Nords and Imperials work too. Some people use Argonians for everything (both magicka and stamina) because they also have poison/disease resistance, plus if they drink a potion, they can get most of their stamina, magicka and health back, so they're somewhat powerful for this reason. The only issue with using an Argonian as a stamina character, though, is they'll have a smaller stamina pool to draw from because they don't have any natural bonuses to stamina, so you'll run out of stamina more quickly than you would if you'd chosen a Wood Elf or Redguard.

Wood Elves and Redguards have the most stamina sustain out of all the races, meaning they won't run out of stamina as fast as other races.

Here's some lists of the ESO races and what racial skills they have (click the tabs at the top to see the stats for all the races):

Hey thanks! I was looking on the warden today and might try it out. I was going to do redguard for him.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A stam warden (or stam sorc) sounds like good options considering your tanky background. Either are highly resistant but push out great dps.

Redguard is an excellent choice for a stamden...they’ll get a lot from the melee racial passive. I like dw/bow on wardens, but you can level and play around with 2h as well. Their heals are so powerful you can go all medium armor for the most part.

The dev team said something interesting about wardens when they were released that I think is helpful to understand. They said they wanted to create a class that started out slow with damage, then procced more and more abilities until it builds into an insane deluge. That is pretty accurate...when I run into a fight I start throwing down 3-5 attack abilities that start rolling DOTs and AOEs. When I create an area where they’re all in play, it’s insane.

A key to being a good warden is learning to use subterranean assault well. It’s an interesting and unique ability in the way it procs and lands. When I got good at my warden I learned to get everyone lined up so I maximized my dps with this skill. In big fights if I can hit 7-10 npcs with this at once and do 20k to each...crazy town. But it takes a while to master the timing and positioning, for sure.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can try also stamina NB. Amazing tools for both melee and ranged DPS (cheapest and one of the hardest hitting melee ultimate, hard hitting spamable skill, aoe unavoidable melee range cc, class root&snare, one of the hardest hitting ranged skills hidden behind grim focus), it has best escape tools in the game so don't need to be very tanky + can have powerful healing ultimate.

My second choice would be stamina warden. It has also both nice melee and ranged options, but since summerset any class have access to bow spamable warden isn't the most obvious choice for bow oriented class. Warden has powerful melee range dealyed aoe (delay is very powerful because it allows to build huge burst), ranged spamable and class stamina heal. It has also powerful cheap shield allowing to intercept projectiles and build ultimate faster.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Cyngar
    Cyngar
    Mayrael wrote: »
    You can try also stamina NB. Amazing tools for both melee and ranged DPS (cheapest and one of the hardest hitting melee ultimate, hard hitting spamable skill, aoe unavoidable melee range cc, class root&snare, one of the hardest hitting ranged skills hidden behind grim focus), it has best escape tools in the game so don't need to be very tanky + can have powerful healing ultimate.

My second choice would be stamina warden. It has also both nice melee and ranged options, but since summerset any class have access to bow spamable warden isn't the most obvious choice for bow oriented class. Warden has powerful melee range dealyed aoe (delay is very powerful because it allows to build huge burst), ranged spamable and class stamina heal. It has also powerful cheap shield allowing to intercept projectiles and build ultimate faster.

Thanks for the repsonse, I have some follow ups for you if you don't mind.

In your opinion, what level is good to take a character to to "think" you will like them?

Does Stam NB have any quick gap closers? I keep thinking I want to make 1 to try out.

I started a Warden this weekend and got him up to 12 last night. I ran my first Dungeon last night to get some gear and quick exp and it was pretty fun. Right now he doesn't have a gap closer for PvP, I need to add that on my 2h ability and Actually try out PvP in this game.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The problem with stamina builds is that it takes a while to get good skills, self-heals etc.

Stamina Warden is probably the best class to start with, very good burst in pvp, some self-heals and tanky skills.

Stamina NB is also very strong but also more difficult to play, movement and stealth are key factors survive.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Sugram22
    Sugram22
    ✭✭✭
    Cyngar wrote: »
    SydneyGrey wrote: »

Hey thanks! I was looking on the warden today and might try it out. I was going to do redguard for him.

if u chose redguard for stam passives i half to say wood elf or red guard its little difference both have a lot of stam regen, well wood elf has even more max stam regen & bit less max stam then redguard but hes better cause of Poison and Disease Resistance + stealth attack bonus Khajiit has crit rate so he can do more dam with good gear but cat has less stam recovery, well u can best look from here the racial differences (+ more info about a lot of stuff) https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Bosmer+(Wood+Elf)+Racial+Skills, all have STR & weaknesses :)

i have bow/bow warden woodelf lvl 20
    Edited by Sugram22 on July 27, 2018 10:35PM
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    STAAAAAAAAAAAMBLAAAAAAAAAAADE!
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems you know what you want but if your still undecided when in doubt go Templar very tanking with best self heals in the game tho sadly they lack that burst dps compared to other classes but its almost impossible to make a bad Templar
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • Loralai_907
    Loralai_907
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I absolutely love my stam sorc in PvP. So much fun to play. I feel like even though mine needs some tweaking she still wrecks a decent number of people. She's quick and survives well too.

PC-NA - formerly, mommadani907Guild: Weeping Angels - Co-GMTwitter: @ Loralai_907 several Alt accounts....CP 1700+
    Active characters:Fauna Rosewood ( Bosmer Stam DK - Master Crafter/AD)///Loralai Darknova (Drunken Zombie Bosmer Stam Sorc - PvP/AD)Lilith Darknova ( Dunmer Mag DK - Master Crafter - PvP/AD)///and roughly 1billion alts
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on your preferred style, Orc DK is a great choice, IMO. Keep at it.

May will say that Stam DKs are in a bad place right now, but that changes every patch, and as a new player, you'll hopefully have longevity to see the meta change considerably.

Orcs get a bonus to melee damage, they have good stats for melee fighters, and the sprint speed bonus is very useful in PVP.

DKs in the proper hands are incredibly lethal. It's a grind, grind, grind, burst cycle, and you wear down you opponents into a range where your Take Flight will execute them, and give back a good chunk of resources too.

Edited to expand.
    Edited by GimpyPorcupine on July 31, 2018 7:48PM
    8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2400CP
  • slumy
    slumy
    If your doing PVP, just go Dragon Knight. They are completely OP and pretty much unstoppable.