The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Mary Sues galore, share your backstories that are just a bit on the sue side.

NorthernNightmare
NorthernNightmare
✭✭✭✭✭
I don't intend on rping with this backstory, as I admit I know its OP and reeks of mary sue but damn it I love to daydream about it.

Before I post mine I'm interested in yours? What backstories do you guys have that seems a bit too much like a main character from a book

Mine starts off with the Welkynar knights of past times fighting the sea elves over the ocean in the middle of a storm. Feathers meet scales as the two fight over whirling waves....
Ones of the knights however meets a spot of bad luck in the form of a lightening bolt. Striking her griffin and causing the two to plummet into the sea.
She wakes up on the coast of auridon, her griffin missing.... Beside her is some food prepared... and an unexpected guest

Long story short she was rescued by nonother than a sea elf, one who thought drowning was a death unworthy of a griffin rider. And while he fought willingly, he believed that there should be respect for both sides. His orginal goal was to put her on shore and leave her food btu she woke up before he could fully leave.

Im sparing the inbetween bits but long story short they fall in love and have a kid who is my main
Cliche? Yep. But like I said its meant for my daydreams.

So share yours! I would love to hear.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a character named the Nightmother. She's the nightmother. It's a little too OP. I limit it by having her think everyone and everything is beneath her so she doesn't even really bother using her OPness most of the time.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well if you haven't played through Summerset yet...
    There's a quest where you meet an Altmer and a Maormer who fell in love after gaining each other's respect in battle on the sea and then being shipwrecked together.

So your backstory is certainly not implausible. :)

My characters tend to be nothing special in terms of their backstory, but they absolutely grow from their humble pasts to become main characters of their own stories - largely by virtue of all the super heroic stuff the game has us do and the fact that I can pretend none of the rest of you actually exist. :D
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • NorthernNightmare
    NorthernNightmare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ilsabet wrote: »
    Well if you haven't played through Summerset yet...
    There's a quest where you meet an Altmer and a Maormer who fell in love after gaining each other's respect in battle on the sea and then being shipwrecked together.

So your backstory is certainly not implausible. :)

My characters tend to be nothing special in terms of their backstory, but they absolutely grow from their humble pasts to become main characters of their own stories - largely by virtue of all the super heroic stuff the game has us do and the fact that I can pretend none of the rest of you actually exist. :D

i was not aware there was a quest like that
    rip. Now I gotta change mine up cause that looks alot like mine xD
    And humble beginnings are fun! I sorta like how eso treats us all like epic heros x3
  • phermitgb
    phermitgb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't intend on rping with this backstory, as I admit I know its OP and reeks of mary sue but damn it I love to daydream about it.

Before I post mine I'm interested in yours? What backstories do you guys have that seems a bit too much like a main character from a book

Mine starts off with the Welkynar knights of past times fighting the sea elves over the ocean in the middle of a storm. Feathers meet scales as the two fight over whirling waves....
    Ones of the knights however meets a spot of bad luck in the form of a lightening bolt. Striking her griffin and causing the two to plummet into the sea.
    She wakes up on the coast of auridon, her griffin missing.... Beside her is some food prepared... and an unexpected guest

Long story short she was rescued by nonother than a sea elf, one who thought drowning was a death unworthy of a griffin rider. And while he fought willingly, he believed that there should be respect for both sides. His orginal goal was to put her on shore and leave her food btu she woke up before he could fully leave.

Im sparing the inbetween bits but long story short they fall in love and have a kid who is my main
    Cliche? Yep. But like I said its meant for my daydreams.

So share yours! I would love to hear.

to be fair, I don't think your story is particularly heavy on the mary-sue side of thing, and wouldn't call it OP either - unless you're also claiming that you somehow inherited the power of flight from your griffon-riding mother and the power to command animals of the sea from your father, and were the child of destiny bound to unite the maomer and altmer to unite against an earth shattering evil...now, THAT would be OP.

but yah, as described, seems like a pretty good story overall. Yes, it's a BIT cliche, but if that's the only storytelling sin you commit, I think you're doing fine

since you asked - I like meshing my character story with existing gameplay as closely as possible, so my character was kidnapped and ensorcelled to be sacrificed in a magic ritual that mannimarco was using to fuel the planemeld and...essentially, you know, the origin story as written by ZOS. The only real twist, of course, is that all of my alts were part of the same ritual by cultists all over tamriel, and since they were all part of the same ritual at roughly the same time, ALL of their souls were kinda blendered up together, which is why we all "know" each other, despite having never met before.

I've also quite happily embraced one of the oldest storytelling tropes, and all of my characters have *AMNESIA!!!*...owing, of course, to the fact that their souls were blendered up together and escaping coldharbour blasted their respective soul pieces all over tamriel. So, as my character recovers the pieces of his soul (and of those he's "connected" to), he slowly begins to have visions and sense-memories of life he's left behind, but with no clear knowledge.

Every now and then I drop in a ridiculously cryptic note or event by someone who knows someone who knew my character "before", but of course, no one ever tells him anything concrete (that's part of the fun) - the dramatic hook is all very total recall - my character doesn't know who he *was*, but seems to be pretty comfortable with who he *is* - if he looks to hard to find his earlier self, he may not like him...

see, a little cliche can be a fine thing
    Edited by phermitgb on July 30, 2018 9:49PM
    "There is no correct resolution; It's a test of character."
    James T. Kirk