The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

ZOS, why are we mining alloys?

Minyassa
Minyassa
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
I don't understand. Did you not even bother to google jewelry metals or did you just paw through someone's mom's jewelry box and take a wild guess? We don't mine steel, we mine "high iron" and use it to make steel, which makes sense. Why in the world are we mining pewter and electrum? You could easily have made it all make sense by making copper the first level, then having us mine tin or lead for the pewter at the next level. Then you have silver, that's fine, and then next should have been mining gold to make electrum with. I'm baffled as to why you chose to buck any pretense of logic with this when you actually made real herbs and real mushrooms and even paid attention to how those plants look and some of their actual properties. I'm extremely disappointed, this is not up to the quality levels you've previously displayed.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's because all of the flowers and mushrooms are invasive species from TES 3 & 4, aka the work was already done. Jewelry nodes are pretty much "Is it metallic, cool-looking, and has a good chance to be mistaken for a rock? Lets use it!"

But then, we adventurers are in the business of strip mining Tamriel. In Oblivion, I very nearly singlehandedly caused the extinction of nirnroot in the Rumare Valleey. So farming in TES games is always a little silly and divorced from reality.
  • The_Protagonist
    The_Protagonist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very good observations, shows a clear shift in their business ethics and probably in their staff too. Little things like this when seen cannot be unseen. +1 insightful.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Very good observations, shows a clear shift in their business ethics and probably in their staff too. Little things like this when seen cannot be unseen. +1 insightful.

Are you being sarcastic?

What is the deal with people who try to link everything with business ethics? Please elaborate on the reasoning that leads one to that conclusion.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, amateur development on this front.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Repeat after me, Games are not Reality, Games are Not Reality.....
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Malacthulhu
    Malacthulhu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh you googled something about something in a fantasy game, ya don't do that. Technically, I suppose if you find gold you find iron and electrium. Jewel crafting should have been an expansion of blacksmithing however I think the developers and marketing people are wise and know their fanbase well. They know we want content to last as long as possible with multiple seperate grinds.
    Edited by Malacthulhu on July 17, 2018 5:41PM
    Xbox One Na
  • Obsidian3
    Obsidian3
    ✭✭✭✭
    It just cracks me up that copper looks like a dried turd
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »
    I don't understand. Did you not even bother to google jewelry metals or did you just paw through someone's mom's jewelry box and take a wild guess? We don't mine steel, we mine "high iron" and use it to make steel, which makes sense. Why in the world are we mining pewter and electrum? You could easily have made it all make sense by making copper the first level, then having us mine tin or lead for the pewter at the next level. Then you have silver, that's fine, and then next should have been mining gold to make electrum with. I'm baffled as to why you chose to buck any pretense of logic with this when you actually made real herbs and real mushrooms and even paid attention to how those plants look and some of their actual properties. I'm extremely disappointed, this is not up to the quality levels you've previously displayed.

lol...

don't you remember mining ebony ore?
  • Judas Helviaryn
    Judas Helviaryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    People tend to forget that a good fantasy world is one that is rich in lore and background, and at the very least tries to be believable without relying on the "Word of God" trope to explain why everything is the way it is. The whole "fantasy = unrealistic" argument is silly when it comes to established giants like TES.

High iron itself has irked me for a while, but the OP is right with the alloys. There's a clear shift in focus on the quality (and believability) of the game, and we're slowly losing those little touches that made the game an immersive experience, and worthy of the Elder Scrolls moniker.
    Edited by Judas Helviaryn on July 17, 2018 8:03PM
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Sigh...I agree, but on the other hand the slow thoughtful and beloved development you see in a single player game really cannot be sustained over time, and to please (take that with a grain of salt) it's many players and semi-constantly bring in "new" things, the watchful eye for details has has to go the way of the dodo.

Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

lol...

I don't have a problem with fantasy materials that don't actually exist in the real world. That's actually the BEST way to go in a fantasy world, because then you can make up whatever goofy rules you want to about a material and you don't look like an idiot. But using things that DO exist in the real world and using them BADLY is definitely *not* the way to go about making a quality fantasy game. It just really makes them look incredibly lazy.
    Oh you googled something about something in a fantasy game, ya don't do that. Technically, I suppose if you find gold you find iron and electrium. Jewel crafting should have been an expansion of blacksmithing however I think the developers and marketing people are wise and know their fanbase well. They know we want content to last as long as possible with multiple seperate grinds.

Couldn't help it--didn't google it, I am a professional jeweler. If someone uses real life existing professions in a fantasy game there's aaaaaaaaalways gonna be that small percentage of people that they instantly annoy if they don't even bother to do the most basic of homework. :/

Edited by Minyassa on July 18, 2018 4:38AM
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

lol...

I don't have a problem with fantasy materials that don't actually exist in the real world. That's actually the BEST way to go in a fantasy world, because then you can make up whatever goofy rules you want to about a material and you don't look like an idiot. But using things that DO exist in the real world and using them BADLY is definitely *not* the way to go about making a quality fantasy game. It just really makes them look incredibly lazy.

Couldn't help it--didn't google it, I am a professional jeweler. If someone uses real life existing professions in a fantasy game there's aaaaaaaaalways gonna be that small percentage of people that they instantly annoy if they don't even bother to do the most basic of homework. :/

you've never heard of ebony?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebony
  • Zorgon_The_Revenged
    Zorgon_The_Revenged
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crabs don't usually carry great swords and a small amount of gold, but mudcrabs have a habit of dropping them when killed.

Don't loose too much sleep over it.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

lol...

Since they're not actually using it as the wood name for that tier and instead have a made-up metal with that name instead it doesn't bother me. It has become a poetic color name over time, and it's actually pretty common these days for people to have no freaking clue where color names come from any more. So it's a *dumb* fantasy material name, but it's still a fantasy material in this context.
  • Streega
    Streega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have problem with fantasy materials (like adamantium), but I cringe when real names are used wrong and mixed with artificial. Either stick with real life equivalents, like iron, copper and stuff, or invent completely new ones. Ebony is not a metal, but a hardwood; quicksilver is just another name for mercury and rather useless in blacksmithing, doh; high iron should not be a thing, wth is that? Why is titanium only a jewelery additive? And pewter ore... why not tin?
    Having say that, I try to ignore it, because it's only a game. Still, allowing such a mess is rather poor craftsmanship ;)
    ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃ Don't-Care-Bear ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃
    PC EU "House Tertia" - Friendly Guild for Mature Folks (housetertia.com)
    PC EU "Priests of Hircine" - Awesome Guild for Friendly Werewolves (free bites!)
    Member of "Guild Masters United"
    Master Angler
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Repeat after me, Games are not Reality, Games are Not Reality.....

They can certainly do the small things to make it look more like it is. :smile:
    Obsidian3 wrote: »

Iron looks like a turd, too. Maybe in Tamriel, copper becomes iron after it gets rained on.

In this game world, unrefined ore is more valuable than all the diamonds and rubies you can carry. I have long ago decided that the people making these decisions have other things in mind besides how it appears in the game. They have seemingly arbitrary decisions that, with nothing more than a tweak to naming them, would make more sense. That only happens when the focus is not on making things have sense, but something else.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Aeslief
    Aeslief
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You might want to consider getting checked out by a doctor, friend. And bring a sample.
  • Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought this was a fantasy game, not real life ?
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    MoTeets wrote: »

Fantasy means something that is based upon imagination, not something that is based upon a badly informed echo of real life.
  • Soleya
    Soleya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For jewelry they should have used

Tin
    Copper
    Silver
    Gold
    Platinum
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought this was going to be about the lack of alloying in the process, which would have been a interesting change. We already combine ingredients in Alchemy, so why didn't we do that in Jewel Crafting? Instead of the dusts, we could have mined pure metals, and made the alloys we needed for the jewelry.

Pewter, bronze, electrum, etc. for the final mats, but mine tin, copper etc.
  • testd4n1
    testd4n1
    ✭✭✭

I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of me casting magic at burning man. Wait... that was Valkyn Skoria.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Streega wrote: »
    I don't have problem with fantasy materials (like adamantium), but I cringe when real names are used wrong and mixed with artificial. Either stick with real life equivalents, like iron, copper and stuff, or invent completely new ones. Ebony is not a metal, but a hardwood; quicksilver is just another name for mercury and rather useless in blacksmithing, doh; high iron should not be a thing, wth is that? Why is titanium only a jewelery additive? And pewter ore... why not tin?
    Having say that, I try to ignore it, because it's only a game. Still, allowing such a mess is rather poor craftsmanship ;)

Lorewise, even the fantasy materials are off. (Since when was Dwarven ore a thing before this game?) But basically they just needed different names for every tier, style and trait. (This is why gold is not a material in jewelry, it's already a currency.)

I mainly think of crafting as a game mechanic, rather than part of an immersive world, because that's all it is. It was designed that way to keep it simple and symmetrical. An immersive crafting system would have Bosmer bows made of bone, not wood, and chain mail or other light metal medium armors instead of just leathers. But that would be less intuitive to the average player, crafters would just be hardcore players who learned the alloy recipes, and probably edit the wikis and online guides. ZOS decided to change it to be accessible to all, (I was there in beta for that design change.)

Ignoring the material inconsistency is probably the best advice. That is, unless there's an add-on that can be made to rename all the materials in your UI. Just don't forget and ask if anyone has "tin" in zone. ;)
    Edited by driosketch on July 19, 2018 4:10PM
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MoTeets wrote: »

Fantasy means something that is based upon imagination, not something that is based upon a badly informed echo of real life.

Hehe
  • Lady_Sleepless
    Lady_Sleepless
    ✭✭✭✭✭

lol...

Since they're not actually using it as the wood name for that tier and instead have a made-up metal with that name instead it doesn't bother me. It has become a poetic color name over time, and it's actually pretty common these days for people to have no freaking clue where color names come from any more. So it's a *dumb* fantasy material name, but it's still a fantasy material in this context.

Or Ebony It's a in world Elder Scrolls thing.
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In cases like this, and certain fish(I'm looking at you Minnows)... I just tend to believe maybe the words on Earth and the words in Tamriel may be similar but a little different definitions. Not everything needs to match precisely that way.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • Moomins
    Moomins
    ✭✭✭

driosketch wrote>
    Lorewise, even the fantasy materials are off. (Since when was Dwarven ore a thing before this game?) But basically, they just needed different names for every tier, style, and trait. (This is why gold is not a material in jewelry, it's already a currency.)

Gold is the currency of Tamriel, Kahjiit knows this is true, but the gold currency is processed gold. Why not use native gold (unprocessed gold) as a material in the form of flakes, nuggets or grains? Kahjit understands that this native gold could then be processed with other metals to form alloys... This one suspects that those who understand jewelry know this is how it is done in the real world...

That is this one's suggestion for the day.
    Edited by Moomins on August 1, 2018 7:23AM
    "Dragons? Oh, they're everywhere! You must fly very high to see most of them, though. The ones nearer the ground are very hard to see, being invisible."
    M'aiq the Liar
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What about Iron Ore. :D
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Runs wrote: »
    In cases like this, and certain fish(I'm looking at you Minnows)... I just tend to believe maybe the words on Earth and the words in Tamriel may be similar but a little different definitions. Not everything needs to match precisely that way.

Can you imagine filleting a minnow? LOL! I skinned a shrew* once just to see if I could do it but I dunno if I could've carved it like a turkey. xD

*My cat got it and left it on the doorstep, I did not go out shrew-trapping just for skins, I promise.

Edited by Minyassa on August 1, 2018 9:00PM
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could be worse, there could be in game turds that look like actual iron. Can you imagine actually thinking it was iron and then hitting it with your pick?