The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Consoles :(

webrgesner
webrgesner
✭✭✭✭
Will we ever get PTS? PLEEEEEEEEASEEEEEEEE
  • Sun7dance
    Sun7dance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Actually we play on it every day! ;)
    PS5|EU
  • webrgesner
    webrgesner
    ✭✭✭✭
    HA! I see what u did there
  • KittyHazWares
    KittyHazWares
    ✭✭✭
    Console servers wouldn’t be able to handle it tbh
    Xbox One NA
  • huschdeguddzje
    huschdeguddzje
    ✭✭✭✭
    webrgesner wrote: »
    Will we ever get PTS? PLEEEEEEEEASEEEEEEEE

Man you are naive, it's not worth the hassle for zos
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think console server performance wise would be ok being that a PTS would be seperate. Business wise it makes no additional money for ZOS and only uses more resouces. Basically console PTS is not business friendly in the way businesses are run today. Also keep in mind they would need two of them. One for Xbox and PS and this alone stops it from happening.

The only way this happens is if there is a MMO that is exclusively a console game and even then only one of the consoles would have the PTS.
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    PTS for console is needed because many times we get issues that don't appear on the PC version so there is no way to catch any of it before it goes live.

Other games on Xbox have PTS available for download in the store. There is no reason why this game cannot have one other than the fact that it would take them time and effort to arrange and put it into motion.

Edit: Also it isn't really fair that PC players get to practice the new dungeons weeks and weeks before they are available in the game so they are able to get the skin and the personality day 1. Wish my group could be practicing those new dungeon HMs right now...
    Edited by Apache_Kid on July 16, 2018 2:37PM
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Apache_Kid wrote: »
    PTS for console is needed because many times we get issues that don't appear on the PC version so there is no way to catch any of it before it goes live.

Other games on Xbox have PTS available for download in the store. There is no reason why this game cannot have one other than the fact that it would take them time and effort to arrange and put it into motion.

Edit: Also it isn't really fair that PC players get to practice the new dungeons weeks and weeks before they are available in the game so they are able to get the skin and the personality day 1. Wish my group could be practicing those new dungeon HMs right now...

Name an mmo on console that has a pts?

This has nothing to do with server structure, user base and stability. It has everything to do with the stringent nature of patching / updating through the consoles platforms. The very aspect of pts is the benfit of squashing bugs, quick hot fixes and just numerous patching in general if need be. There is literally no reason zos would indulge the fees and upkeep on managing a pts on console when they have a pc one which is completely free of having to submit approval requests everytime they need to update the pts.

Despite popular belief, the console version of the game is not that different than the pc version, as far as the moving parts under the hood. Ps4 and xbox are not stange computing beasts like the ps2 and ps3 were, the translation to current gen consoles and pc is almost a non factor. The reasons for poor console patch performance would not be solved with a console specific pts, rest assured.

No, it has everything to do with simply being impractical and redundant. Not worth the hoops they would have to go through, just so console players could be in the loop during testing. Sucks but that is the simple truth.
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be nice if they could add it in. I mean other games do get regular updates and hotfixes but it would probably be more hassle than its worth for ZoS.

I'd rather them bring addons to console (bethesda have done it with Fallout 4 and Skyrim already).
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Mr_Wolfe
    Mr_Wolfe
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's pretty telling that not only is Bethesda/Zenimax too cheap to actually hire professional beta testers, instead of getting their customers to do it for free, they won't even shell out for a beta test of the console versions at all.

Shows in the quality of the final product, tbh.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mr_Wolfe wrote: »
    I think it's pretty telling that not only is Bethesda/Zenimax too cheap to actually hire professional beta testers, instead of getting their customers to do it for free, they won't even shell out for a beta test of the console versions at all.

Shows in the quality of the final product, tbh.

Pts is not a beta. You dont hire beta testers when you are using a pts which is for the sole purpose of getting as close to an accurate live environment as possible for troubleshooting while not actually using the live environment. What do you want them to do? Hire a couple thousand people? Lol... come on man.

It was already explained why implementing a console pts (again, not a beta....) is cost prohibitive for the actual return in patch assessment.
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

ZOS isn't doing anything to stop you from getting on PTS and practicing new dungeons or Trials before they are released. When I played on XB1, I spent as much time on PTS as I did in-game, and I knew plenty of other console players who played on PTS as well.

Prod-like environments are expensive to build and maintain. While it would be nice if console players had the ability to download a PTS version of the game, I just don't see it happening because of the added cost of building and maintaining 2 extra PTS server environments. This falls into the same category of getting addons on console, IMO. I don't think anyone would argue that it's a bad idea, but it just doesn't seem likely.
  • Mr_Wolfe
    Mr_Wolfe
    ✭✭✭
    @exeeter702 You're right, it's not technically a "beta." Guess I got confused since I was in the beta and they didn't listen to us then either. :D

Semantics aside I have to lol at your assertion that it would be 'cost prohibitive.' ZoS is raking in tons of money on this game, they can afford to do proper QC. They (and pretty much every game developer these days) choose not to, sacrificing quality for the sake of even more profits--at the ultimate expense of their customers.

[Edit]
    @LiquidPony Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression you need to own a pc copy of the game to get into the PTS?

That, and the fact that I no longer have a gaming pc, is the main reason I haven't tried to participate in the pts. Bad enough they expect us to do their QC for free, but to have to pay for the privilege? No thanks.
    Edited by Mr_Wolfe on July 16, 2018 9:12PM
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @exeeter702 You're right, it's not technically a "beta." Guess I got confused since I was in the beta and they didn't listen to us then either. :D

Semantics aside I have to lol at your assertion that it would be 'cost prohibitive.' ZoS is raking in tons of money on this game, they can afford to do proper QC. They (and pretty much every game developer these days) choose not to, sacrificing quality for the sake of even more profits--at the ultimate expense of their customers.

You are misunderstanding. There are fees for utilizing sony and MSs platform for applying patches and updates when increased frequency becomes a thing, which generally for a pts you are looking at weekly patches, on top of stringent approval/certification proccesses since they need to make sure anything that is pushed through wont cause any issues they would be liable for which results in general delays. Again refer to my previous post. It has nothing to do with paying for quality control.
    Edited by exeeter702 on July 16, 2018 9:04PM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »

Name an mmo on console that has a pts?

This has nothing to do with server structure, user base and stability. It has everything to do with the stringent nature of patching / updating through the consoles platforms. The very aspect of pts is the benfit of squashing bugs, quick hot fixes and just numerous patching in general if need be. There is literally no reason zos would indulge the fees and upkeep on managing a pts on console when they have a pc one which is completely free of having to submit approval requests everytime they need to update the pts.

Despite popular belief, the console version of the game is not that different than the pc version, as far as the moving parts under the hood. Ps4 and xbox are not stange computing beasts like the ps2 and ps3 were, the translation to current gen consoles and pc is almost a non factor. The reasons for poor console patch performance would not be solved with a console specific pts, rest assured.

No, it has everything to do with simply being impractical and redundant. Not worth the hoops they would have to go through, just so console players could be in the loop during testing. Sucks but that is the simple truth.

Pretty much all of this. But, especially the additional delays and expenses for certification through Sony and Microsoft deep six the idea of a console PTS. Getting an early start isn't really a justification, that's the PTS exists for. If you feel that strongly about it, get PC account, it'll cost you less than 20 bucks on sale. You can play on the PTS with a controller, and give up nothing from having a PTS on your console, except your characters (when the transfer is on your side.) That's actually a fun thing you may not know. PC players have no assurances that they'll be able to use their characters on PTS. It alternates server copies between PCNA and PCEU. When it's PCNA, I can use my characters. When it's PCEU, I'm on a raw system without any of the resources I'm used to having (like my guild hall.)
    Edited by starkerealm on July 16, 2018 9:25PM
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

[Edit]
    @LiquidPony Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression you need to own a pc copy of the game to get into the PTS?

That, and the fact that I no longer have a gaming pc, is the main reason I haven't tried to participate in the pts. Bad enough they expect us to do their QC for free, but to have to pay for the privilege? No thanks.

Yes, you have to have a PC account in order to use the PTS.

So, indeed you will have to "pay for the privilege" of testing. However, it's not all bad ... you can use the PTS to practice rotations, test gear and traits, etc etc. For me it was worth it ... I did the vast majority of my target skeleton parsing and theorycrafting on PTS, because everything is free and you have access to all of the gear in the game.

I guess the alternative is to just complain about it on the forums, but I don't think that's going to accomplish anything, so for me it was more productive to shell out $20 and get the PTS up and running on my crappy old desktop.