Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

What motifs increase master writ drop chance?

Octopuss
Octopuss
✭✭✭✭✭
I know ZOS posted something in some of the semi-recent patch notes that knowledge of certain motifs now increase chance of getting a master writ, but is there a complete list anywhere?
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s a secret...if I tell you, nightblades will come gank me in my sleep. Oh who are we kidding, they’re going to try that regardless.

It’s basically every single motif except crown store exclusives (like grim harlequin or stahlrim). If the pages drop in Tamriel somewhere, it’s on the list. The only exceptions are brand new motifs. When a new one comes out, sometimes it takes them a while to update the game to account for it. I believe that they’re all in the tables right now.

If you want to collect motifs, go for it. If you’re just wanting master writs, don’t stress too much. Some insane players have tracked tens of thousands of daily writs on their characters, and so here’s about how that affects the drop rates. Let’s say characters do all six dailies (not jewelry...it’s new and no one wants to do master jewelry writs). A “dumb” crafter who knows nothing will earn an average 1.0 writ vouchers per day. So like once a week they get a quest for 5-7. A moderate crafter, defined as knowing 6-8 traits and a couple dozen motif chapters, will earn about 3 vouchers per day. A master crafter who knows 90%+ of all motifs And has done all their trait research will earn about 9/day.

A good strategy is to set up 3-5 alts to do writs and then work them through trait research and forget the motifs. You’ll earn enough vouchers to buy whatever you want from the vendors this way.

Another strategy is to farm stuff, sell it and use the gold to buy master writ quests. I am sooooooo bored with these that I sell 5-10 per week in my guild stores. I tend to discount them...like 3500 for a five voucher quest. This is a more alluring option that it may seem...how long would you spend hunting motifs? In an hour you can farm mats to refin into 10-20k worth of tempers. Or farm motifs. Like to pickpocket? Go pickpocket in the vvardenfell towns. It takes me 10-20 minutes to nab a house motif that I can sell for 10-15k.
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have learned 50 full motifs on my main and still not getting many if any master writs, heh. I mean, excluding those 2 vouchers alchemy, enchanting and provisioning.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    IIRC, the base race blue Motifs (normal High Elf, Wood Elf, Khajiit etc) do NOT count towards Master Writ chances.
    davey1107 wrote: »
    Another strategy is to farm stuff, sell it and use the gold to buy master writ quests. I am sooooooo bored with these that I sell 5-10 per week in my guild stores. I tend to discount them...like 3500 for a five voucher quest. This is a more alluring option that it may seem...how long would you spend hunting motifs? In an hour you can farm mats to refin into 10-20k worth of tempers. Or farm motifs. Like to pickpocket? Go pickpocket in the vvardenfell towns. It takes me 10-20 minutes to nab a house motif that I can sell for 10-15k.

Second this if you're just after vouchers; it has the added bonus that you aren't going to randomly get a Master Writ you don't know the Motif for.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

EXPECTING SEVERAL HOURS OF DOWNTIME FOR PC/NA.
  • weedgenius
    weedgenius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    It’s basically every single motif except crown store exclusives (like grim harlequin or stahlrim). If the pages drop in Tamriel somewhere, it’s on the list. The only exceptions are brand new motifs. When a new one comes out, sometimes it takes them a while to update the game to account for it. I believe that they’re all in the tables right now.

@davey1107 Just wondering, do you have a source on this? I mean, what you've said obviously makes sense and seems like it would be accurate, but as far as I can tell there has never been official confirmation from ZOS that this is true.

I went back and read through a lot of the patch notes from recent updates, CTRL+F searching for "motif" "style" "writs" etc. and the Summerset patch notes confirming that the CWC styles now count is the only one I found where there is direct confirmation of specific motifs counting towards your writ chances.

In January of 2017 @ZOS_Bel_Shezzar commented on a forum post about this and said: "For Blacksmithing, Clothier, and Woodworking, this means motif knowledge and overall completion of trait research. This does not include Crown-exclusive motifs or motifs for the 9 base player races. It focuses on motifs that take some effort to learn – like Xivkyn, or Minotaur, or Celestial.

Over time, the contributing factors for this may expand as the associated tradeskill mechanics do."

To me, that says the nine base styles and Crown motifs don't count but it doesn't imply that ALL other motifs count. I'm just wondering if I'm missing that this was officially clarified at some point.
    PS4 NA
    Better Homes & Gardens
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    weedgenius wrote: »

@davey1107 Just wondering, do you have a source on this?

they dont have one. its not quite true. if you dig thru patch notes you'll start to find the answers you want
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me, that says the nine base styles and Crown motifs don't count but it doesn't imply that ALL other motifs count. I'm just wondering if I'm missing that this was officially clarified at some point.

Time to put your genius skills to the test, @weedgenius.

If you set aside the basic blue racial motifs and crown store exclusives ... what motifs are left after you count every purple 14-page motif book available in the game?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As of the Summerset patch notes, the most current motifs added to the list are:

The following Motifs will now contribute to your chance to acquire Master Writs:
    Apostle
    Bloodforge
    Dreadhorn
    Ebonshadow
    Fang Lair
    Scalecaller
    Worm Cult

Therefore, Sapiarch, Pynadonean, and Psijic Order have not yet been added to the motifs that count for master writs.

Unless someone can find something stating otherwise, every rarer motif not a crown store exclusive counts towards master writs drop chance. Note that you have to know the entire motif.
  • weedgenius
    weedgenius
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Time to put your genius skills to the test, @weedgenius.

If you set aside the basic blue racial motifs and crown store exclusives ... what motifs are left after you count every purple 14-page motif book available in the game?

Okay... I know you can read so help me out here. He does not say “all motifs besides racial motifs and Crown Store exclusives count” so why would I assume that’s the case?

ETA - This post already exists and I've commented basically the same thing. Someone else made a list:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5233990

What "takes effort" to learn? Everything but Barbaric/Primal/Daedric? Then why not just say that?
    Edited by weedgenius on July 15, 2018 5:20PM
    PS4 NA
    Better Homes & Gardens