The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

So eso can't do capes or cloaks?

• logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Srednuas wrote: »
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cWaq6Pc8drM

Seen at 1:12, keep in mind pre release though, so once upon a time it was there...
    Also in this video tassets (hip shields) somehow don't look clumsily attached to femurs. They are animated much better, than we can see in the game now.
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Options
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [double post, please, delete]
    Edited by logarifmik on July 13, 2018 8:42AM
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Options
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I actually believe the game engine thing. So many things this engine cant do, flying, water physics, capes, run without crashes and freezes and lag.... Honestly Im starting tot think that the game is just going to get worse and worse cuz they keep trying to build the building higher (slapping new dlc on top) when they dont have a solid foundation.

Not gunna pretend to know about game dev stuff but eso really isnt feeling like a solid thing atm
    Options
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cladius30 wrote: »
    They don't need to be animated.. They look just find draped behind motionless which shouldn't cause lag

Hanging motionless when people jump up and down looks ridiculous.
    Options
  • DamenAJ
    DamenAJ
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember WoW had cloaks... Most people disabled them because they looked like crap.

I was one of those people.

What, exactly, is the combat benefit of a cape?

At least hip/crotch flaps have a combat benefit (Not really a fan of how they look, but...)
    Options
  • hamsterontherocksb16_ESO
    Cloaks move a lot. Unless you want to have it hanging down statically you will have A LOT of movement in a cape and cloak. That means A LOT of polygons and A LOT of calculations on how these things move physically. That means a lot of stress on either the server or your Client. Now multiply that by every player in your field of view.

Its a nightmare, it will dramatically slow down the game.

Oh and to the people saying "Other games have it as well."
    Other games have either way less polygon counts in their models or not the physics or simply not the amount of players that would at some point bottleneck the performance.
    Options
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Capes lol. Are we 12?
    Options
  • DeadlyPhoenix
    DeadlyPhoenix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They might eventually but I'm not holding my breath. I'm not holding my breath for anything we've been asking for for years now.
    Options
  • Fata1moose
    Fata1moose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO can't even do 3D meshes for a necklace.
    a04d9c9d039d9c7d47c3a631c82d7d04.jpg
    Edited by Fata1moose on July 13, 2018 6:54AM
    Options
  • Cladius30
    Cladius30
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People that personally dont like cloaks make a conspiracy that the game engine can't do them.
    And we don't need animated capes. Just your basic ones would be fine.
    Options
  • Cladius30
    Cladius30
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cloaks move a lot. Unless you want to have it hanging down statically you will have A LOT of movement in a cape and cloak. That means A LOT of polygons and A LOT of calculations on how these things move physically. That means a lot of stress on either the server or your Client. Now multiply that by every player in your field of view.

Its a nightmare, it will dramatically slow down the game.

Oh and to the people saying "Other games have it as well."
    Other games have either way less polygon counts in their models or not the physics or simply not the amount of players that would at some point bottleneck the performance.

Hanging statically would be great
    Options
  • Cladius30
    Cladius30
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should remove the cloaks from the art work and all the cloaks they hang on walls in homes in the game world should be removed to then if we aren't ever going to have them. Just my opinion.
    Options
  • Cladius30
    Cladius30
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enslaved wrote: »
    Capes lol. Are we 12?

I think your confusing a superman Cape with basic lore friendly cloaks that they advertise in the art work of this game world.
    Options
  • JaZ2091
    JaZ2091
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People that personally dont like cloaks make a conspiracy that the game engine can't do them.
    And we don't need animated capes. Just your basic ones would be fine.

It's not about conspiracies, it's about facts. Did you even read the replies?
    Options
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This I don't get...
    This game engine is alot newer then alot of other games that have no issues doing cloaks. What is this the oops everything but cloaks engine we decided to use lol.

I love how Lotro does their cloaks. Everything flows natural in the breeze.
    Options
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enslaved wrote: »
    Capes lol. Are we 12?

I think your confusing a superman Cape with basic lore friendly cloaks that they advertise in the art work of this game world.

Lets be real. In a combat cloaks outside movies and comics would be a true handicap for one that has such a thing on. You have more than enough yt videos debunking the cool looks of a batman cape in real combat. And to be honest, its a teenage stuff anyways. No need for something like that in ESO, we have more than enough lag and issues already. Anyways, if zos would make them cloaks would have clipping issues 9000%
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the deal, to make a cloak, you need a frame to hang a mesh on. To make the mesh have shape and contour, it needs more frame elements. Each frame element has to be animated, rendered and shaded, on each movement, twitch and turn. Each animation takes up processing resources.

So, to have a cloak that looks at all aesthetically pleasing, takes lots of frame elements. You say just having it hang like a board on your back is OK, but really, that is just ugly, and kind of dumb looking. More people would complain about that, than not having cloaks in the game. The Hero costume that came out a while back should prove this to you.

Bottom line, the Cloaks you want, they can't put in the game, because the cloaks you want would turn this into a slide show, for everyone who plays the game. The cloaks they can put in the game, nobody wants to see.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Srednuas wrote: »
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cWaq6Pc8drM

Seen at 1:12, keep in mind pre release though, so once upon a time it was there...

They gave a lot of promises pre launch...
    - Class independant Pet skill lines
    - Server Choice questionnaires you could avoid being grouped with 12 year olds.
    - etc
    Edited by Thannazzar on July 13, 2018 9:28AM
    Options
  • swippy
    swippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the art team It's probably a choice between "not animated, no clipping" vs. "animated, massive clipping issues"

Nothing stopping them from making a polymorph that includes a cape, though, since you don't have to account for a variety of different geometry.

I wouldn't care if they weren't animated..would still be better then no option..

i heard a lot of complaints about the Breton Hero outfit that its cape was pinned to the rears of people. it sounded like a huge disappointment to the people who cared most. maybe some people wouldn't be worried about their cloaks looking like stiff cardboard shells, but the ideal has some flowiness, and since flowing fabric requires some processing power (you know this if you've ever attempted so much as a pencil drawing) it's just not on the table for an art team that bothered to make light pretty much act like light.
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This I don't get...
    This game engine is alot newer then alot of other games that have no issues doing cloaks. What is this the oops everything but cloaks engine we decided to use lol.

"Newer" isn't the same thing as "Capable". From how I understand, the engine ESO uses is bare bones and ZOS either doesn't have the ability, or the funds/manpower/willpower to expand it to include additional physics and extended character meshes/armor slots. Besides they already claimed that your system trying to render everyone's physics enabled outfits would be torture on it.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    @Cladius30

I do not know where you got the information that the game cannot do cloaks. I bet it can.

However Zos has stated they will not do cloaks. Cloaks, like anything else, does require game resources and Zos does not want the resources to go to cloaks.

So we will not have cloaks.

(But we actually do have cloaks with one of the hero costumes and bet we will get them again. They do not flow but hang static)

I kinda wish they had a static animation skeleton for them. There's a few cloaks/longcoats in the game, including the Toxin Doctor, Breton Hero Costume, several motif leg pieces, including Outlaw, Thieves' Guild, Mercenary, Ebony, ect. As is, they're fused to the leg, which looks a bit strange, and it would be nice, if the skirts flowed out a bit as part of the walk, run, and sneak animations.

I mean, obviously, that would be a lot of work, but it would be nice. Without going into the entire idea of actual cloth physics, which would be a nightmare to tune.
    Options
  • Rawkan
    Rawkan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're not needed.
    Options
  • Undefwun
    Undefwun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you really wanna be this guy?

captain-america.gif
    Drank Sinatra Sr - PvP Magblade - DC
    Juggathot - PvP Mag Sorc - DC
    Jedi Mind Crits - PvP A-Hole Bowblade - DC
    Dollar Store Thor - PvP Stamplar - DC
    The Bone Sumpremacy - baby Stamcro - DC
    Wârden Freeman - PvP Stamden - DC (on hold)
    Lauryn Heal - PvE Magplar DPS - DC

Lil Orc Chop - PvP Stam Sorc - EP
    Hamuel L Jackson - PvE DPS & PvP Stam DK - EP
    Chandler Bling - PvP Magden - EP

Mahalia Lightborn - exiled crafting toon - cos you know, she's AD
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Undefwun wrote: »

captain-america.gif

No, this guy:

aSUw9dI.jpg
    Options
  • Undefwun
    Undefwun
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, this guy:

aSUw9dI.jpg

lol why?

homeslice looks 12 and soft as suburban whitebread...
    Drank Sinatra Sr - PvP Magblade - DC
    Juggathot - PvP Mag Sorc - DC
    Jedi Mind Crits - PvP A-Hole Bowblade - DC
    Dollar Store Thor - PvP Stamplar - DC
    The Bone Sumpremacy - baby Stamcro - DC
    Wârden Freeman - PvP Stamden - DC (on hold)
    Lauryn Heal - PvE Magplar DPS - DC

Lil Orc Chop - PvP Stam Sorc - EP
    Hamuel L Jackson - PvE DPS & PvP Stam DK - EP
    Chandler Bling - PvP Magden - EP

Mahalia Lightborn - exiled crafting toon - cos you know, she's AD
    Options
  • Cladius30
    Cladius30
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So they can design all sorts of clothing and costumes that have articles hanging about and all sorts of pets and mounts that have sparkles and magic yet a peice of fabric hanging off of the back is to much? Does any else think this is rediculous?
    Options
  • Cladius30
    Cladius30
    ✭✭✭✭✭

captain-america.gif

This is a big stupid comparison to what I'm talking about. I can litterally use the same thing and take the cape off of that guy and say to you.. So you would rather look like this guy... Lol
    Options
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Capes or cloaks?

Hell, right now ESO can't even do walls or floors! B)
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
    Options
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

captain-america.gif

This is a big stupid comparison to what I'm talking about. I can litterally use the same thing and take the cape off of that guy and say to you.. So you would rather look like this guy... Lol

capes are tied to superheroes and anime chars. Not sure how ESO fits in there.
    Options
  • tim99
    tim99
    ✭✭✭✭✭

captain-america.gif

No, this guy:

aSUw9dI.jpg

"trick or treating"
    Options