Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How Should Rune Cage Be Fixed?

mr_wazzabi
mr_wazzabi
✭✭✭✭✭
Rune cage currently is giving sorcs 3 to 1 KDR minimum both in Cyrodiil and battlegrounds. Before Summerset's ridiculous buff of the skill, Sorcs were more in balance vs other classes.

I listed numerous suggestions on a fix. Let's see what the community thinks.

Btw, I did not put a "does not need fixing option" because that's just bs.
Bosmer Stamina NB
Altmer Magicka TEMP
Dunmer DK both stam/mag (depends what I feel like)
Altmer Magicka NB
Breton Magicka Sorc
Redguard Stam Sorc
Max CP

How Should Rune Cage Be Fixed? 75 votes

Make it Dodgeable
10%
Iruil_ESOMrDenimChickenmr_wazzabiChrysa1isVietfoxJobooAGScolossalvoidsPhaiyte494 8 votes
Reduce Range
24%
OsteosPlagueSDmelloni_aleb16_ESOValen_ByteBRogueNZSeriWingellahellabellaMojomonkeymanTequilaFirePeekachu99Pink_ViolinzTheRealSnikerCyrusAryaNussi28The_BrosteenJXNwarriorSleepersword 18 votes
Eliminate Damage
4%
MayraelToc de Malsvia_u_s_t_y 3 votes
Reduce Damage
2%
Oreyn_BearclawBallcap 2 votes
Reduce Stun Duration
16%
alainjbrennanb16_ESOwhsprwindHetairaSugaComaKelVaazaDrakkdjinnExalted_GooseRomanCaesarOblivionNWPhiathornsyldolRedrunnerFred 12 votes
Rework skill completely
26%
Animus-ESORikumaruSodanTokStrider__Roshinmb10AliyavanaAmdar_GodkillercpuScientistCrimsonSpiralTyharTrinotopsregime211ak_pvpApache_KidAnotherone773FiktiusNerftheforumsATCWarhawkPeaBrainCarlfrostz417 20 votes
Other please explain
16%
Vercingetorixshadowwraith666POps75pAntonShanSylosiEnslavedElwendryllTyrobagmikemaconFeanorFur_like_snowgeneralmyrick 12 votes
  • Pink_Violinz
    Pink_Violinz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reduce Range
    There's multiple ways to rework it. Personally I find it crippling when a sorc continuously cages from a mile away, draining stamina and making it impossible for melee characters to function.
  • Graydon
    Graydon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Move this post of gripe to PVP please.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reduce Damage
    The ridiculous buff to the skill was a small damage component, which has already been nerfed on PTS. Will sit back and wait for the forums to talk about how OP sorcs have been forever. I have said many times, that I would also be fine with a moderate range nerf, but it has to stay a ranged skill because sorc is a ranged class. I would remove the keep buff (40 meters is a little silly), and probably bring the skill in line with gap closers, 22 meters.

Also, the day I have a 3 to 1 KDR, is the day I retire. That is pretty terrible for any class, at least in Open World PVP. Sorcs do have a higher killing blow ratio than average, but my lifetime KDR is frankly higher on my mDK and sNB than on my mSorc.
  • mr_wazzabi
    mr_wazzabi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make it Dodgeable
    The ridiculous buff to the skill was a small damage component, which has already been nerfed on PTS. Will sit back and wait for the forums to talk about how OP sorcs have been forever. I have said many times, that I would also be fine with a moderate range nerf, but it has to stay a ranged skill because sorc is a ranged class. I would remove the keep buff (40 meters is a little silly), and probably bring the skill in line with gap closers, 22 meters.

Also, the day I have a 3 to 1 KDR, is the day I retire. That is pretty terrible for any class, at least in Open World PVP. Sorcs do have a higher killing blow ratio than average, but my lifetime KDR is frankly higher on my mDK and sNB than on my mSorc.

In battlegrounds you very often see 15 and 3, 20 and 6, etc etc. Every second game for me.
    Bosmer Stamina NB
    Altmer Magicka TEMP
    Altmer Magicka NB
    Breton Magicka Sorc
    Redguard Stam Sorc
    Max CP
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reduce Range
    Range and length of the stun. Defensive Rune will still remain one of the best PVP moves in the game even if nerfed in that manner.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol. 3 to 1 KDR. Good one.

A skill gets a 1-2k dot and boom folks can all now 1vX right. Wow
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reduce Range

It is not about the damage, it is about the range and ignoring LOS at keeps.
    Edited by TequilaFire on July 12, 2018 10:26PM
  • cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rework skill completely
    While the range is definitely a problem it is not just a matter if making it 12 meters and being done with it. It can retain it's range, it's the fact that it is undodgeable and unblockable.

It allows a Sorc to always land their combo. Even if that combo has to be done at 12 meters instead of 40, it would still be too strong. A magDK has reduced ranged on theirs but they are also a non burst non ranged class. So really they have to be in tight melee range for fossilize to be worthwhile.

Whereas a magSorc is a ranged delayed burst class, so a degree of risk is necessary in their stun. It cannot be a 100% guaranteed hit for such a large burst.

I think it should be reworked to a dot that slows on the rune cage morph giving sorcs a heal with their passives. And the defensive morph should stay as is. And put the stun back on frag, it gave the Sorc the proper amount of risk vs Reward especially when force pulse is non reflectable. SHORT OF THIS HOWEVER. Let the skill retain it's range and it's live damage but be blockable and dodgeable but not reflectable.
  • shadowwraith666
    shadowwraith666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other please explain
    Leave it as it is, only the pvp crowd seems to have a problem with it.
    • Vicktor Bloodtail - L42 Argonian Magblade, Werewolf - EP
    • Xarxes - L31 Dunmer Sorc, Vampire - EP
    • Lichtspear - L21 Argonian Temp - EP
    • Rajka Fireclaw - L21 Khajit DK - AD

PS4 EU
    Spill some blood for me dear brother
    Vicente Valtiere, Dark Brotherhood, Oblivion
  • POps75p
    POps75p
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other please explain
    leave it the way it is and quit crying and man up and go with the flow, nothing should ever be nerfed, and set your toon to take all it can get
  • mr_wazzabi
    mr_wazzabi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make it Dodgeable
    POps75p wrote: »
    leave it the way it is and quit crying and man up and go with the flow, nothing should ever be nerfed, and set your toon to take all it can get

You must be a mag sorc. If you're not, try playing battlegrounds and you will see at the end of every round, the mag sorcs finish with 15k, 5d etc. There's a reason this class performs better than others.
    Bosmer Stamina NB
    Altmer Magicka TEMP
    Altmer Magicka NB
    Breton Magicka Sorc
    Redguard Stam Sorc
    Max CP
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Duh, they are the only ones that use the skill and fight against it. Of course they are going to be the ones having a problem with it.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Who in PvE uses a stun?

Anything worth stunning in PvE is immune to stun.
  • flguy147ub17_ESO
    flguy147ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Literally this one ability is going to make me unsub if it stays put. And i even play only 2 characters MagDK and MagSorc. This ability is ridiculous. The insane long stun that can be used from such a long distance is OP especially from a class that didnt need another way to help them burst players down
  • MrDenimChicken
    MrDenimChicken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make it Dodgeable
    i think the problem is that sorc has too many burst skills that they can time to go off all at once, so a single undodgeable CC is EXTRA powerful since they can time it when all those bursts go off.

Imagine if nightblades could kind of "store" 3 concealed weapon attacks and an execute to go off all after 4 seconds. Fear would be unimaginably stronger than it is considered now, and it's already really damn strong.

My suggestion is make curse more of a damage over time rather (like cripple or searing strike) than a direct dmg attack that takes 4 seconds to pop. This would help in people's perception of rune cage immensely.
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rework skill completely
    Range is a joke
    Can dodge is a joke
    Damage is a joke
    5 second stun is a joke

Whole thing needs to be redone
    Edited by mb10 on July 13, 2018 3:45AM
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peekachu99 wrote: »
    Range and length of the stun. Defensive Rune will still remain one of the best PVP moves in the game even if nerfed in that manner.

defensive rune needs to left the *** alone.

if you trigger it, you get stunned.

simple as that. range be damned.

Edited by Lylith on July 13, 2018 4:11AM
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biased Garbage poll and terrible options. The only issue Rune prison has is the same one that fear has. It's tough to break it. takes to long to break, cant break in lag, etc. The animation is the problem. But this is just a sorc hater poll and yet another nerf sorc thread.
  • regime211
    regime211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rework skill completely

The skill itself needs to have its stun reduced or removed, I literally jumped off the inner top of a keep, took no fall damage, ran up the stairs on the outside of the keep and got hit with rune cage and got bursted from a sorc on the top inner of a keep, now tell me what CC in the game on any class other than specs allows you to do that?
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other please explain
    Less range or blockable or reflectable.
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Revert it back to its old state. That version was unique and could still work wonders if you knew how to play around it.

It came with 30 sec. disorient and it would break by direct damage but not DOTs such as Soul Assault, Flurry, Jabs etc.. It was dodgeable but that was the counterplay. Besides, you could still land a Meteor (and more) by casting it before RC
    Edited by Ankael07 on July 13, 2018 6:23AM
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reduce Stun Duration
    reduce stun alot as u find in pvp not 1 person attacking u after it is apply but up to 60 on 1 person
    Main character dk - Vanikifar whitestrike
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other please explain
    I'm a StamSorc, so, I use runecage, and I play against MagSorc. And, talking from both ends...
    I'm personally totally fine with this, but I wouldn't mind a recalibration. I use this ability to "guard break", the damage portion, the range and the duration are unnecessary for me.

If you really want a nerf, you can reduce the damage by another 20%, or the duration by 1 or 2 seconds, or you know, make it stam based, I swear I won't complain.
    The range has to be the exact same as the other long range abilities. 3 or 5 seconds, it doesn't change anything, if you can't break free, you're pretty much dead already. I loved the buff of this ability, but before that, I could lock someone in my DOTs for 20 seconds. Watch your stamina.
    Just think about the sorcerer class as a whole, and not only the snooty elves.
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other please explain
    Class overhaul please.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Exalted_Goose
    Exalted_Goose
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reduce Stun Duration
    I voted with the closest option that addresses my major issue with the skill - the delay between casting and CC breaking. MagSorc burst potential is incredibly high anyway, yet at least with other CCs, (Streak, Destructive Reach etc.), if you're quick enough/have enough resources you can break free and survive. With Rune Cage, taking into account the delay between applying the CC and actually being able to break free - if the Sorc times his burst and CC well - most targets will get utterly annihilated with very little, (if any), chance to counterplay.

If I'm honest, I'm fine with the damage and the range, (heck, even the duration itself - if you're out of resources and get CC'd, as I see it you should be punished, and the long duration of the CC allows this); for me, the most frustrating thing about this skill is just the delay for CC breaking. Fix that, and I wouldn't be surprised if a fair few people stop complaining about it.
    "One fine day in the middle of the night. Two dead Kings got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their bows... and stabbed themselves...".
  • Druid40
    Druid40
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quicker break-free animation.
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    First we go years without ANYONE EVER complaining about rune cage; during these years sorcs have been nerfed countless times. We are a mere reflection of what we used too be. And I know I will get flamed for this; but before summerset sorcs were one of the WORST classes for PvP at a higher level, Sure! it worked great against new players or scrubs, but against a pro you were doomed.

Then they decided too put the rune cage dmg (that already existed) and made it so that the dmg would come on BREAK instead of at the Finnish of the stun.

There. the NBs, the DKs that usually would have a guaranteed win vs a magsorc could loose against magsorcs. What happened? TONS AND TONS of Nerf Threads about one ability that realy did not get changed much.

This only caters too the "X class beats my Y class - NERF!" scrubs that are not willing too L2P and jump on the first and best "nerf X" trend there is.
    Edited by Kikke on July 13, 2018 10:32AM
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other please explain
    lol

Templar was nerved to the ground
    DK is nerfed every single patch since the beginning if ESO
    NB was nerfed crazy both mag and stam
    Warden was nerfed and up to date is only class that received day 1 nerf

And you cry about sorc nerfs?
  • AntonShan
    AntonShan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other please explain
    Remove s*rc.
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other please explain
    There’s nothing wrong with Rune Cage. The only reason why folks have a problem with it (and Fear) is because the Break Free response is clunky on those mechanics for some reason.

Not being able to break free at full stamina is infuriating. That said, it’s not the fault of Rune Cage. ZoS needs to look at the code for breaking free from CC and fine-tune it for better response time.
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”