The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Augur's Lore Breaking Quote

Revyn
Revyn
Soul Shriven
In "A Time for Mud and Mushrooms" near Lower Bthanual the Augur says this:

"A Dwarf hold! Ha! What a silly bunch they were! Always whacking sprockets with their little baby hammers—toiling away on their tiny brass xylophones …. Good riddance, eh?"

Is this a reference I'm not getting? If not, then unless the Dwarves happened to use small tools, the Augur seems to be suggesting that TES Dwarves are similar to typical fantasy dwarves, being small in stature. While in the lore this is widely seen to not be the case. The Dwemer are said to be similar in height to the Dunmer, if not a bit taller. The idea that they're short comes from the Giants, for whom everyone would be considered small. This seems like a pretty odd error to make, since it's one of those "fun facts" about TES lore that a lot of lore readers are well aware of. So unless it's a reference to something, or he's talking about other dwarves, it seems ZOS made a pretty unimportant, yet odd error.
UID:Revynnn/PC/EU
  • bongtokin420insd16
    bongtokin420insd16
    ✭✭✭✭
    TBH I just thought he was making a joke lol.
    Kaz_Wastelander PS4NA
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Revyn wrote: »
    In "A Time for Mud and Mushrooms" near Lower Bthanual the Augur says this:

"A Dwarf hold! Ha! What a silly bunch they were! Always whacking sprockets with their little baby hammers—toiling away on their tiny brass xylophones …. Good riddance, eh?"

Is this a reference I'm not getting? If not, then unless the Dwarves happened to use small tools, the Augur seems to be suggesting that TES Dwarves are similar to typical fantasy dwarves, being small in stature. While in the lore this is widely seen to not be the case. The Dwemer are said to be similar in height to the Dunmer, if not a bit taller. The idea that they're short comes from the Giants, for whom everyone would be considered small. This seems like a pretty odd error to make, since it's one of those "fun facts" about TES lore that a lot of lore readers are well aware of. So unless it's a reference to something, or he's talking about other dwarves, it seems ZOS made a pretty unimportant, yet odd error.

They probably did. You don't build a fine clockwork mechanism using a sledgehammer.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Remember that the Augur is only required to tell the truth when asked a direct question.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Yo_Donno
    Yo_Donno
    ✭✭✭
    Also remember that the Augur is from a dimension in which "things are made of pure math" and beings from this dimension include things like "behemoth mind snails" which, seconds, after mentioning to you that they exist, he calls "cute."

Its likely that most things that Tamrielic peoples would consider "normal" the Augur considers "cute" or "adorable" which is generally associated with being small. When he says the Dwarves have "little baby hammers" and "tiny brass xylophones", it's possible that by Tamrielic standards these things are the normal size-- it's just that they are ineffective or small by the standards of whatever dimension the Augur is from.
    Edited by Yo_Donno on July 11, 2018 7:17PM
  • Yo_Donno
    Yo_Donno
    ✭✭✭
    [REDACTED]
    Edited by Yo_Donno on July 11, 2018 7:17PM
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whenever the Augur says that the thought which always goes through my mind is, "He must know what happened to the Dwemer. Why can't I ask him that direct question?"

PC EU
  • AtAfternoon
    AtAfternoon
    ✭✭✭
    If Dwemers are supposed to be around the same size as Dunmers, how come their ghosts are the size of Bosmers?b61AkMR.png
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If Dwemers are supposed to be around the same size as Dunmers, how come their ghosts are the size of Bosmers?

The Dwemer ghost is crouched and leaning a little bit, the Bosmer is standing up straight. So the Dwemer is a little taller.

• Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Revyn wrote: »
    it seems ZOS made a pretty unimportant, yet odd error.
    Seems that you forgot the main point...

The Augur is lying all the time.

So basically, all this fluff can be as much *** as ZoS wants :p (unless you ask something directly and precisely, the psijics think)
    The quote about the coral was fun and credible enough, yet.

TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also thought he was was indirectly mentioning/comparing the hammers and xylophones to the Numidium or something else cosmically sized. Eg trying to change the whole of the Mundus with tonal architecture using mortal sized equipment. I mean normal sized hammer vs the whole size of the Mundus. That's pretty tiny in comparison
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • Vanthras79
    Vanthras79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just remember to polish him at least three times a day!
    Norion Germain - Telvanni Wizard, Covenant Battle Mage, Mage's Guild Magister, Resident of Daggerfall Overlook, Lord of Tel Galen, Psijic Monk, Antiquarian, Breton Scholar, and Traveler.

• M_Volsung
    M_Volsung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vanthras79 wrote: »
    Just remember to polish him at least three times a day!

I use him as a paperweight.
    "In the Deep Halls, Far from Men;
    Forsaken Red Mountain, Twisted Kin;
    Hail the Mind, Hail the Stone;
    Dwarven Pride, Stronger than Bone"

—Dwemer Inquiries I-III, Thelwe Ghelein
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could he have meant "baby" and "tiny" as synonyms for "insignificant"?

and @RaddlemanNumber7 his last words were "good riddance eh?" I dunno about you but that seems to me that they did not ascend and instead got wiped out.
    Scipio Numantia Red guard Nightblade PvP- AD
    Scipio Asiaticus Khajiit Nightblade (CRAFTER/DPS) PvE- EP
    Altmer Nightblade PvP- EP
    Fueoculto Breton Templar (DPS) PvE- EP
    Rasoculto Orc Dragon Knight PvP- EP
    Caethus Argonian Templar (HEAL) PvE- EP
    Vale Oso Nord Sorc (DPS) PvE- AD
    Sir-Galahad-the-pure Altmer Sorc (DPS) PvE- EP
    Scipionumantine Imperial Templar PvP- EP
    Un-bearable Imperial Warden PVP- EP
    Vale Bear Altmer Warden PvP- EP
    Baits-All-Zergs Argonian Dragon knight PVP- DC
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    his last words were "good riddance eh?" I dunno about you but that seems to me that they did not ascend and instead got wiped out.

I dunno, worded like that it works equally well if the Dwemer just up and left.

• scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    @WhiteCoatSyndrome possibly. id like to know what happened to them officially, maybe we will be so lucky to find out in a future DLC of eso or in a different Elder scrolls title down the road. The reason I think he is alluding to them getting wiped out is from context, he clearly doesn't think much of them- at best he sees them as insignificant. If the dwemer had succeeded I would of expected him to say something condemning them for their success. The "good riddance" reads to me "they got what they deserved".
    maybe not though, Bethesda has done a really good job keeping the mystery open to interpretation. sort of like one of those "choose your own ending" books.
    Scipio Numantia Red guard Nightblade PvP- AD
    Scipio Asiaticus Khajiit Nightblade (CRAFTER/DPS) PvE- EP
    Altmer Nightblade PvP- EP
    Fueoculto Breton Templar (DPS) PvE- EP
    Rasoculto Orc Dragon Knight PvP- EP
    Caethus Argonian Templar (HEAL) PvE- EP
    Vale Oso Nord Sorc (DPS) PvE- AD
    Sir-Galahad-the-pure Altmer Sorc (DPS) PvE- EP
    Scipionumantine Imperial Templar PvP- EP
    Un-bearable Imperial Warden PVP- EP
    Vale Bear Altmer Warden PvP- EP
    Baits-All-Zergs Argonian Dragon knight PVP- DC
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this doesn't break lore. There are plenty of reasonable explanations for this. Baby hammers could refer to small clockwork mechanism tinkering, in which big hammers would be... ineffective. Dwarves could be considered small by some standards, or the lore might hold them to be objectively small and the examples to the contrary might just be outliers. The auger could also just be being the auger, and we should take what he says with a grain of salt, in whatever way that is necessary. Either way, I never took this quote as anything near lore-breaking when I first heard it. Barely even stood out with all the other great dialogue in that quest.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • KroRex
    KroRex
    Just look at this dwemer hammer from Morrowind. It's really a "baby hammer".
    dwk645sfhv5p.png