Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Armour caps

Dumbledalf
Dumbledalf
✭✭✭
Hi all, I heard somewhere that wearing full plate armour puts you way over your armour cap. Apparently it is advised to wear some leather or cloth with it can anybody shed any light on this theory or is it just nonsense?
  • poltida
    poltida
    ✭✭
    I've been wondering about this also, when we get the warning is it just a cue to spend point around or does it really affect the enchantments/foods/drinks bonus meaning they will not get higher?
  • Stienbjorn
    The caps seem entirely too low, especially considering heavy armor needs 5 pieces to get it's set bonuses in the passives. Those bonuses tend to further increase the amount of armor you gain from wearing heavy armor, yet at level 5 I am already capped with armor that is not enchanted nor possessing any traits. That is a bit ridiculous.
  • chaumont35b16_ESO
    I have a level 15 DK wearing all heavy armor (1h w/ shield), and I'm not at the soft cap (soft cap gets higher with each level, and I'm very close).

If I use any ability that boosts my armor it gets "overcharged" and appears to suffer from diminishing returns (meaning any points above the soft cap still count as mitigation, but not as effective point for point).

I don't think it would be possible to ever reach the armor cap, but only time will tell when we reach 50.

I've read that its a good idea to level up wearing 1 piece of light, or medium armor just to level them up, but I plan on wearing nothing but heavy armor, and abilities that increase my armor will be benched.
  • Auberon
    Auberon
    Soul Shriven
    The cap is bound to your current level. So for example if you are at the soft cap, and level up, still using the same gear, the soft cap warning will be gone. So at the new level you would have to increase your armour even more to hit the cap again...
    I am hoping that the cap will be relatively higher on the later levels... I am looking to invest a lot in blacksmithing, armour enhancing skills, enchants and passives and hope that will pay off...
    Edited by Auberon on April 1, 2014 5:31AM
  • Dumbledalf
    Dumbledalf
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your replies I guess it's not anything to worry about for now will see how it is at 50.
  • Aureli
    Aureli
    ✭✭✭
    And to think we haven't even used restoration yet.
  • Auberon
    Auberon
    Soul Shriven
    A little update for the intrested. Every two levels I craft a full heavy armour gear for the current level and equip, which has been enough for me to reach the soft cap. At lvl 10 the full gear was not enough, and I must be slightly below the cap. Have not "improved" the gear with honing stones as it is a little costly. I am also using the lady stone with armour buff, but no other buffs/skills or passives at the moment.
  • Pyatra
    Pyatra
    ✭✭✭
    Stienbjorn wrote: »
    The caps seem entirely too low, especially considering heavy armor needs 5 pieces to get it's set bonuses in the passives. Those bonuses tend to further increase the amount of armor you gain from wearing heavy armor, yet at level 5 I am already capped with armor that is not enchanted nor possessing any traits. That is a bit ridiculous.

It scales with level, so you can soft cap easier the lower level you are, but you may as well just level again instead of rearranging everything.