Capes

Armisael9
Armisael9
✭✭✭
Would be a really cool costume/outfit option to have, especially for medium and heavy armor builds! Kinda like that Breton ninja in the trailers >:D
  • Froggmann5
    Froggmann5
    ✭✭✭
    In the alpha build of the game, there were capes.

But it turned out to be an absolute lag fest that made servers *** themselves.

So no more capes, unless you like lag.
  • Armisael9
    Armisael9
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, ok ok. Didn't know that!
    Edited by Armisael9 on July 4, 2018 1:27PM
  • huschdeguddzje
    huschdeguddzje
    ✭✭✭✭
    NO CAPES
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A cape that doesn’t flow or fly is fine :joy:
    Pc na
  • JaZ2091
    JaZ2091
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This game can't handle capes.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
  • Belegnole
    Belegnole
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No no, no no no.

No Capes!
  • Aebaradath
    Aebaradath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    source.gif
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Froggmann5 wrote: »
    In the alpha build of the game, there were capes.

But it turned out to be an absolute lag fest that made servers *** themselves.

So no more capes, unless you like lag.
    Client not server, server don't animate or render.
    And yes client performance in cities and in zergs would be far worse if it had to do cape physic on all involved.

You want physic on capes or they look horrible and they will clip argonian and khajiit tails, you notice that they don't have back flaps to avoid they move while clipping.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • stewhead2ub17_ESO
    stewhead2ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh is it that time already for this thread topic again?
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Was gunna get in before the Edna no capes meme/video was used....but I was too late!!!

If you look a eso 2013/2014 before release it did have capes, they took them out I think due to cutting to armor and the lag.... *cough and looks at ZoS* yeah LOL...the lag....ha ha ha ha HA HA HA HWAH -presses thunder and lighting button-
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • Rain_Greyraven
    Rain_Greyraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok I should copy and paste this since I have to explain it so much.....

There is one and only one reason we don't have capes, the engine can't handle cloth rendering.....if more than two people have capes the entire game craps the bed (yeah you guys just had to build your own engine.... ) And for the "No capes!" crowd....

Cloaks and Capes are part of TES lore.
    They were Actually promised By ZoS and shown in a demo before they found out the engine has so many limitations
    The dumb meme from the lame ass movie the Incredibles is about as relevant as 8 track tapes these days.
    Edited by Rain_Greyraven on July 4, 2018 5:19PM
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

― Robert E. Howard

So you want to be a game developer? Here is the best way to go about it.
  • DeadlyPhoenix
    DeadlyPhoenix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They need to upgrade/update/rebuild their engine anyway. Would be nice if they were, but I doubt it.

Capes and cloaks should be part of the game. Maybe we will get them years down the line when their engine completely craps out and they don't have a choice but to rebuild it.
  • Armisael9
    Armisael9
    ✭✭✭
    Ok I should copy and paste this since I have to explain it so much.....

There is one and only one reason we don't have capes, the engine can't handle cloth rendering.....if more than two people have capes the entire game craps the bed (yeah you guys just had to build your own engine.... ) And for the "No capes!" crowd....

Cloaks and Capes are part of TES lore.
    They were Actually promised By ZoS and shown in a demo before they found out the engine has so many limitations
    The dumb meme from the lame ass movie the Incredibles is about as relevant as 8 track tapes these days.

Holy crap. Your link with the Unreal 4 engine cloth physics is ridiculous. Do I dare to dream of ESO looking like that in the future? *tear falls down cheek
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There actually are capes in the game. Sorta. Pay closer attention the next time you fight a lich...
    ...and yeah, it looks more like a stiff piece of cardboard paper stock to its back. Which is exactly what the engine could handle without going all bonkers and laggy.

So the developers had a choice... either make super-crappy capes that clip through everything and look like the reanimated zombie idea of a cape from the 1930s comic books, or have super-crappy lag that makes the game pretty much unplayable whenever people meet. They choose option three - no capes. And that's what we got.
  • Stravokov
    Stravokov
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they added capes ZOS would have to remove all the wildlife from the game...

Yeah a dev team like that can't figure out a solution.
  • ZirconJunkie
    ZirconJunkie
    ✭✭✭✭
    MMORPGs from a decade ago handled capes just fine. The advanced technology and complex systems contained within the ESO engine make capes impossible.

It's like the NASA scientists who say we can't get back to the moon because we've lost the technology to accomplish it, even though there's more technology in an Apple watch than the entirety of the Apollo moon lander.

How's that for a mind boggler.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Capes are just not going to happen and Zos has made that clear before.

They did do a cape on one of the hero costumes. Yep, it does not move at all. It is almost as thought it is not there.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MMORPGs from a decade ago handled capes just fine. The advanced technology and complex systems contained within the ESO engine make capes impossible.

As I understand it... We don't have capes because Argonians and Khajiit have tails. DX9 imposed limits on what they could do, and tails won over capes. If they ever go back and update the character rigging, now that they no longer support DX9, then I guess they could introduce capes. Given where ESO is in the circle of life, I don't expect they are giving much thought to doing that. However, there is some good news. Their NEXT game can have capes!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Grind Road

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus