Maintenance for the week of July 1:
• NA megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Tanking as a Sorcerer

Solomon_Cato
Solomon_Cato
✭✭
Here's something that I have come up with for a sorcerer.

http://esobuild.com/?EwbgzCwQdLYEYgKwHYBcZoEMtQCbTAAcApmGGgMbZZEAMJ09dWaALDZWgIxM/QAzSsmDESRFNDDdKATnEDCMrHVl0po0rNlA

I have not decided on a attribute point spread yet, any suggestions would be welcome. This build offers plenty of self healing and regeneration as well as defensive abilities through bound aegis, Ring of Preservation, and Brawler. I also REALLY like deep slash in here, even for CC immune bosses, as the 15% debuff should still hit them. I originally had Hardened Ward in that spot, but came to the final decision of Deep slash.

My original idea had a set up for two sets of 1h/Shield, but after looking through the 2h line a little more extensively I felt it complimented 1h/Shield fairly well for trash mobs and AOE aggro is needed. Brawler seems very solid, getting even better with larger groups, and stampede is a nice way to close the gap quickly and effectively (The quicker you can get in the less time mobs have to move and adjust).

This is something I feel I may go with, as I have only started early access and have yet to find solidly work on a character yet (tested all the classes and such), so I have not yet endured higher level content. If you see ANY falters or wish to simply offer your opinion, please do so.
  • Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    run conjuration magic with a divided of vitality and magicka or spread it around vita/magicka/stamina Anyway youl be very hard to even damage in the first place...
    One bow to darken the sun
    One bow to unite the clans
    One bow to conquer the world and in darkness drown it...

- Prophecy of the tyranny of the sun
    Options
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    i was tanking in grato last night health ans stam is what your going too need the most of...the biggest thing is stam and then health at least the way im planing too play it.

http://esohead.com/calculator/skills#cMkX9MfXGH8fXGM8AIQ18AIPq8Niqz8Nikc8fXGH8NUky8fXhs8NUmU8NUmu8NUod8T7JLRMA6MrqAi6MrqAI6MrqAD6MrqAZ6crqLw8y7HLR3a6rR3r6rR3f6MfQE16MfQE36MfQlr6MfQlu6MfQlI8H7DLzwM6rzwc6Lzwm6MNieh6MNieA6MNieT6MNiey8J7JLziD6LziO6rziX6LziZ6MNUIz6MNUIc6MNUIi6MNUIN8K7DLkg6rzun6MANRQ6MANRZ847pzxLCe6cxLDm6cxLDo8zN7asJZcY6cJZrM6cJZuA6cJZuT6cJZuy

this is the plan so i can adjust according too what is needed and being that you can switch between weapons and such im going too run two shield and sword slotted weapons and just use the bars as they change, the only thing i dont know is if you switch weapons will the effects you cast with one set of weapons still be applied when you switch too a different bar.
    Options
  • Solomon_Cato
    Solomon_Cato
    ✭✭
    the only thing i dont know is if you switch weapons will the effects you cast with one set of weapons still be applied when you switch too a different bar.

This is something I have thought of too, maybe a veteran can answer this question for us. I am not a huge fan Ransack because the bonus armor really is miniscule when you are already wearing heavy armor (diminishing return I would think at some point, not sure on the numbers), I'd rather give the dps boost for the group rather than add a small amount of armor to myself. Similar reason why I have contemplated Lightning Form vs. Bound Armor, not sure if I would want the spell resist for the short duration or just baseline added armor. As for the minion I'm not a huge fan until they fix them, my experience they spectate more than work.
    Options
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    the only thing i dont know is if you switch weapons will the effects you cast with one set of weapons still be applied when you switch too a different bar.

This is something I have thought of too, maybe a veteran can answer this question for us. I am not a huge fan Ransack because the bonus armor really is miniscule when you are already wearing heavy armor (diminishing return I would think at some point, not sure on the numbers), I'd rather give the dps boost for the group rather than add a small amount of armor to myself. Similar reason why I have contemplated Lightning Form vs. Bound Armor, not sure if I would want the spell resist for the short duration or just baseline added armor. As for the minion I'm not a huge fan until they fix them, my experience they spectate more than work.

The shield, does not apply too the amour stat! That I have seen. I got a weapons last night that applys a shield every 5 secs for every time I attack. I did not see it up the amour stat however, if you pay close attention too your health bar it changes on the vary ends of the bar with a light purple-gray color and that's the shield! Dose not apply too your amour. The extrah damage is just not worth it as a tank too me too get that extrah little bit of damage. However when you use that abblity it's not too get the shield effect it's too get from when end of the dungeon when the healer is under attack. The shiled should grow as you lvl. The "3" point shiled should can not be correct. But it would help you in a pinch and you could apply it had a big hit is coming and "block" the attack is father reduction. More testing required tho.
    Options
  • Nyxilios
    Nyxilios
    Options
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Nyxilios wrote: »

Ok first the second move you have sloted is not even part of the skill tree anymore, it's 15% reduced damage. I like the set up your going for but your going have stamina problems later down the road. I just went through grato and we were all atlest 1 lvl lower then the mobs, trinity based group, we did die allot but only becuse we did not understand the mechanics of the Dungeon and my lack of stamina, you really don't lose health if you continuosly block all attacks. But it dose Drain the Stam bar quickly, but I have more points in magic becuse I was going too rely on abilitys too augment my amour and magic resist, and the amour set too reduce crital hits and that trait as well. I don't think your going too need a huge magic poll, but Stam and health your going too have augment the heck out of. On anther note I like the idea of the damage reduction abblity but my worry is it worth it? If I have the agro attack, reduced damage attack, shiled bash(for oh *** the healer), the storm barrier(spell resist), and the shiled abblity from the summoning tree....is it really work it too have the 15% damage reduction or would I be better off slotting the Mage amour from the summing tree and ignoring the reduction abblity? For the summoning amour: 20 added amour(which the amount is incorrect) going too be grater then that, is The 15% damage reduction grater or less then? Or is it going too be better too get rid of the(oh shot the healer) and get both the damage reduction and the amour? That is the big question!
    Edited by alexj4596b14_ESO on April 2, 2014 11:35PM
    Options
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    run conjuration magic with a divided of vitality and magicka or spread it around vita/magicka/stamina Anyway youl be very hard to even damage in the first place...

That's not really true block is a "must" which drains Stam, magic your going too use vary little of because of the simple fact that at max your going too have 3 magic based abblitys two your only going too use when you need it the other will be on all the time.

Stam and health is going too be a must!
    Options
  • Solomon_Cato
    Solomon_Cato
    ✭✭
    Mmmmm.... Discussion, I like it. Really it boils down to preference at the moment, until we start seeing numbers fixed and critically evaluated. I am sort of a percentage person, so seeing a 15% decrease in damage would seem fairly significant to me (Just think of a dps losing 15% of their damage, they would cry anarchy). I do agree with Alex about health and stamina, which really is the cornerstone for any tank, which you could argue the viability of Dark Conversion due to the stamina drain. In that case, if you have a decent enough healer, I would possible replace it with Crystal Blast (Splash damage for multiple mobs) to add to another magicka cost ability, rather than a stamina draining one. Wait, I retract that statement, I would add Thunderous presence, duh.

So quite possibly, something like this.....

http://esobuild.com/?EwbgzCwQdLYEYgKwHYBcLoEMtQGbTAAcApmGNEcAAzUDGad2WR1JltWaALMwwIyU0gvHWTB+/YpjD86AThJECEulmrzq0MBKnz5QAA==
    Options
  • o.sskoglundb16_ESO
    I'm kind of curious about the Critical Surge skill. Couldn't a medium armour khajit sorc tank relatively well due to critical surge + high crit?
    Options
  • Teloran
    Teloran
    ✭✭✭
    I'm kind of curious about the Critical Surge skill. Couldn't a medium armour khajit sorc tank relatively well due to critical surge + high crit?

It's fairly easy to get 20-40% crit depending on the damage type and weapons that you use. It works out to give roughly your crit chance as DPS, hence at 20% crit chance Critical Surge gives on average 20% of your DPS as healing. This is almost twice that of what the Nightblades HoT, Strife, can heal.

Edit: This is a build from a high level tank from the closed beta.
    Edited by Teloran on April 3, 2014 12:20AM
    Options
  • o.sskoglundb16_ESO
    Teloran wrote: »

It's fairly easy to get 20-40% crit depending on the damage type and weapons that you use. It works out to give roughly your crit chance as DPS, hence at 20% crit chance Critical Surge gives on average 20% of your DPS as healing. This is almost twice that of what the Nightblades HoT, Strife, can heal.

So, what you're saying is... It might work?

Edit: Teloran posted something interesting so... On I go, for science! Thanks!
    Edited by o.sskoglundb16_ESO on April 3, 2014 12:23AM
    Options
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Mmmmm.... Discussion, I like it. Really it boils down to preference at the moment, until we start seeing numbers fixed and critically evaluated. I am sort of a percentage person, so seeing a 15% decrease in damage would seem fairly significant to me (Just think of a dps losing 15% of their damage, they would cry anarchy). I do agree with Alex about health and stamina, which really is the cornerstone for any tank, which you could argue the viability of Dark Conversion due to the stamina drain. In that case, if you have a decent enough healer, I would possible replace it with Crystal Blast (Splash damage for multiple mobs) to add to another magicka cost ability, rather than a stamina draining one. Wait, I retract that statement, I would add Thunderous presence, duh.

So quite possibly, something like this.....

http://esobuild.com/?EwbgzCwQdLYEYgKwHYBcLoEMtQGbTAAcApmGNEcAAzUDGad2WR1JltWaALMwwIyU0gvHWTB+/YpjD86AThJECEulmrzq0MBKnz5QAA==

This is true untell the number drop we will not know. My real question boils down too. Shield Bash(or upgraded version) or Or 15% damage reduction?

The other thing I just thought about is this if you did both weapons slots as one hand and shield, Made one bar all defense,agro, reduction; and the other ccs ,agro, reduction, and the electric shield..would that work better? As far as I know you can change weapons in combat!
    Edited by alexj4596b14_ESO on April 3, 2014 1:09AM
    Options
  • Teloran
    Teloran
    ✭✭✭

So, what you're saying is... It might work?

Edit: Teloran posted something interesting so... On I go, for science! Thanks!

Let me put it this way. Critical Surge is so good its my number one guess for the first nerf bat swing. I'd pretty much say its compulsory for tanks since it's the Sorcerers only reliable form of self healing. Throw on Inner Light, use Restraining Prison and spam Impulse and you will mow through trash pulls.
    Options
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Some of the skill in the post are no longer in use or have been changed and are way different now....

Also you may be able too now down mobs but when it come too real bosses not going too happen, light amour only has 1/4 the protection that heavy amour has, and medium amour has 1/2 the protection then heavy amour...your never going too be able too stay alive esp for bosses that have always going too hit abblitys...and when you block your not going too have enough Stam too block any kind of damage.
    Options
  • Teloran
    Teloran
    ✭✭✭

Some of the skill in the post are no longer in use or have been changed and are way different now....

Also you may be able too now down mobs but when it come too real bosses not going too happen, light amour only has 1/4 the protection that heavy amour has, and medium amour has 1/2 the protection then heavy amour...your never going too be able too stay alive esp for bosses that have always going too hit abblitys...and when you block your not going too have enough Stam too block any kind of damage.

The only ability that had changed in a significant way is a small nerf to lightning form. This build will still put you significantly over the cap for both spell and physical resistance. Remember that light armour actually give more spell resistance then heavy, while bound armour instantly makers up for the physical resistance difference between light and heavy armour.

There's also no reason that the build can't put stamina regen enchants on its jewellery for blocking.

Options
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

The only ability that had changed in a significant way is a small nerf to lightning form. This build will still put you significantly over the cap for both spell and physical resistance. Remember that light armour actually give more spell resistance then heavy, while bound armour instantly makers up for the physical resistance difference between light and heavy armour.

There's also no reason that the build can't put stamina regen enchants on its jewellery for blocking.

They are not going too let that continue, they will nerf light amour, or increase spell resit on heavy amour.....and from what iv seen your not going too need spell resist all the time, esp for bosses, and now that I think about it my spell resit is almost capped, it keeps over charging every time I use my lighting forum.
    Options