The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mag DK Catch-Up (PvE DPS)

Thestephenmcraeub17_ESO
Currently running a Mag DK with my eye on Perfected Siroria gear, but I'm not sure if my current setup is Trial DPS-ready. I mean I don't think it's bad, but I just wanted to ask around here and see if a few simple changes can make it better. My current setup is 2 Valkyn Skoria (garbage traits, I don't even remember what they are) heavy and medium; 5 BSW (3 divines, 2 impen, working on swapping out those impens for divines); 3 Infallible Aether gold jewels, Gold IA Inferno staff front bar, Gold nirnhoned vMA lightning backbar.

The change that I want to make is to ditch the vMA lightning (I think my sorc could make better use of it anyway) and Infallible Aether, put on some BSW jewels I have (purple and blue, but soon to be imporved...) and then swap my excess BSW armor pieces for Julianos. Would this help with my DPS output (theoretically, of course) and be better for farming new trial gear than BSW/IA?

Also, thoughts on monster set? I see a lot of people saying Zaan, but I have yet to run Dragon Bones dungeons yet, and I'd probably just be a burden to my group trying to farm a helm there. I also have Ilambris and Grothdarr, so I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks guys!

(p.s. current DPS on a 3mil dummy is 27k, [I'm at the Champion Point cap] and my rotation is weird because of lightning backbar setup. I'm hoping with 2 infernos and a more normal rotation, I can push into 30k, but I'm also open to your thoughts on that)
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I use Julianos, BSW and Vulkan Skoria... do 30K dps on 300 ping.. seems like it works well enough for most content.
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Currently running a Mag DK with my eye on Perfected Siroria gear, but I'm not sure if my current setup is Trial DPS-ready. I mean I don't think it's bad, but I just wanted to ask around here and see if a few simple changes can make it better. My current setup is 2 Valkyn Skoria (garbage traits, I don't even remember what they are) heavy and medium; 5 BSW (3 divines, 2 impen, working on swapping out those impens for divines); 3 Infallible Aether gold jewels, Gold IA Inferno staff front bar, Gold nirnhoned vMA lightning backbar.

The change that I want to make is to ditch the vMA lightning (I think my sorc could make better use of it anyway) and Infallible Aether, put on some BSW jewels I have (purple and blue, but soon to be imporved...) and then swap my excess BSW armor pieces for Julianos. Would this help with my DPS output (theoretically, of course) and be better for farming new trial gear than BSW/IA?

Also, thoughts on monster set? I see a lot of people saying Zaan, but I have yet to run Dragon Bones dungeons yet, and I'd probably just be a burden to my group trying to farm a helm there. I also have Ilambris and Grothdarr, so I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks guys!

(p.s. current DPS on a 3mil dummy is 27k, [I'm at the Champion Point cap] and my rotation is weird because of lightning backbar setup. I'm hoping with 2 infernos and a more normal rotation, I can push into 30k, but I'm also open to your thoughts on that)

For monster helms on a magdk the order from best to worst is Zaan>Grothdar>Skoria. I would drop the lightning staff for two infernos. Definitely can go with julianos, but if you are able to I would go with Mother's Sorrow instead. You can farm it fairly easily AND the BiS traits on jewelry for a magdk are Arcane anyway:) If you can try to obtain a flame vMA staff, because that will certainly boost your damage significantly.
  • Thestephenmcraeub17_ESO
    @hedna123b14_ESO What do you recommend for weapon traits and weapon/jewelry enchants? Mundus stone suggestions? I'm thinking Juli and Thief mundus for the crit and because I can craft it and save a lot of time working towards siroria
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @hedna123b14_ESO What do you recommend for weapon traits and weapon/jewelry enchants? Mundus stone suggestions? I'm thinking Juli and Thief mundus for the crit and because I can craft it and save a lot of time working towards siroria

Definitely Thief for Mundus, Infused for both weapons, flame enchant front bar, Weapon damage backbar. All arcane jewelry.
    @hedna123b14_ESO cool, thanks! Then any notes on bar setup and rotation? Right now I start on back bar, drop eruption, rearming, flames of oblivion, wall of elements <swap> engulfing, embers, whip x5, <swap> wall of elements, <swap> engulfing, embers, whip x2, repeat (all Light attack weaves, standard of might when it's up)

(I know, this rotation is a nightmare with the bar swaps. What's a rundown of the normal mDK rotation? I've been doing this nonsense so long that I've forgotten lol)
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    First off you should be running Zaan over Skoria. You are melee build anyway, and Zaan is higher dmg. It an easy set to farm if you do the dungeon in veteran easy mode. your 30k dps should be more than enough if you don't go brain afk during the dungeon.

Secondly I believe Silks of the Sun is marginally better damage than Julianos. But there's not much in it anyway. And you can buy that.If you have Julianos already you can keep that.

The problem in general is that you really need to farm two fire staffs to get into competitive numbers. A BSW one and a vMA one.

If you run Zaan, Julianos/Sun body, BSW front-bar and vMA backbar you should be able to pull 40-45k dps on the dummy easily.
    EU | PC | AD
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @hedna123b14_ESO cool, thanks! Then any notes on bar setup and rotation? Right now I start on back bar, drop eruption, rearming, flames of oblivion, wall of elements <swap> engulfing, embers, whip x5, <swap> wall of elements, <swap> engulfing, embers, whip x2, repeat (all Light attack weaves, standard of might when it's up)

(I know, this rotation is a nightmare with the bar swaps. What's a rundown of the normal mDK rotation? I've been doing this nonsense so long that I've forgotten lol)

That's the standard and BiS rotation, so you're good:) also you can put NCR very easily, so I would try to get siroria. Best set to pair siroria with is mothers sorrow. That would be the goal to shoot for.
  • arishok33
    arishok33
    ✭✭

That's the standard and BiS rotation, so you're good:) also you can put NCR very easily, so I would try to get siroria. Best set to pair siroria with is mothers sorrow. That would be the goal to shoot for.

Actually BSW instead of MS on the DK, since thief mundus.
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    arishok33 wrote: »

Actually BSW instead of MS on the DK, since thief mundus.

I suppose it all depends on raid buffs...anything where major force uptime is above 45% and MS wins
  • SmellyUnlimited
    SmellyUnlimited
    ✭✭✭✭

That’s about right. Wall only lasts 8 seconds, whereas all others on that bar are longer. Rearming 14 seconds, Eruption 18 (if I remember correctly, with Earthen Heart passives), and Flames somewhere in the middle. I run Spell Symmetry for sustain in there as well, since with that rotation (even with Combustion passive) you’ll be hurting for resources. Heavy attack is a DPS loss, so Spell Symmetry almost negates the next Spell cost, and returns mana to you at the cost of health (whichever Burning Embers will be returning to you)

BiS for Mag Dk’s is Zaan / BSW / Siroria, Maelstrom inferno backbar, BSW inferno front (both infused). Jewels are arcane (may be able to get away with one infused). Lightning staves are a waste on MagDK’s since they have no passive support for them like Sorc’s do; all your dmg passives affect flame damage.

If fighting multiple enemies, Grothdar and Skoria are good substitutes for Zaan’s. If boss battles/duels, Zaan’s. Open world PvP Skoria (though Skoria isn’t bad any really any situation, just doesn’t do as much dmg as Zaan’s.)

DO. NOT. WIPE. (in game OR out!)
    Ok so update, I found 2 BSW inferno staves in my bank (I know, right? how lucky am I lol) so I'm working on rearranging my gear. When I parsed the dummy last night, I hit 27k as per usual with 5 bsw, 5IA, and 2 groth this time. Not bad but not great. The weird thing is that when I parsed twice, I got exactly zero power lash procs. Even though I was laying down rearming and doing the rotation correctly. So i'm wondering now if I should swap out power lash for molten whip (for that sweet, sweet extra burning embers damage) and replace rearming with talons on my back bar. Thoughts? Experiences? Relevant anecdotes?
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ok so update, I found 2 BSW inferno staves in my bank (I know, right? how lucky am I lol) so I'm working on rearranging my gear. When I parsed the dummy last night, I hit 27k as per usual with 5 bsw, 5IA, and 2 groth this time. Not bad but not great. The weird thing is that when I parsed twice, I got exactly zero power lash procs. Even though I was laying down rearming and doing the rotation correctly. So i'm wondering now if I should swap out power lash for molten whip (for that sweet, sweet extra burning embers damage) and replace rearming with talons on my back bar. Thoughts? Experiences? Relevant anecdotes?

No is the answer. You will get Power Lash procs in trials from the Lightning Blockades of Sorcs. Molten Whip will give you marginally higher DPS against the dummy but lower DPS and sustain in trials. So it's only useful for try-hardning the dummy otherwise it's a useless morph.

Swap IA for either Julianos or preferrably Sun on the body. And go farm Zaan, you really need just one run with some friends to get a heavy or medium head and then transmute it. The shoulders you just need to do dailies for. Easy peasy.

Go practice your rotation though. That DPS is very low unless you are low on CP. You should be hitting 35k with that build on MaxCP without problems. So it sounds like you're not keeping the DoTs up well enough.

Edited by Maulkin on June 20, 2018 12:29PM
    EU | PC | AD
    @Maulkin Idk how much of a difference this makes, but my BSW staves are blue and defending traits, so I definitely agree that my parse should be better once I transmute, properly enchant (they both currently have drain magicka enchants? or whatever the stock enchant is), and improve them. I'll try to upload a video of my parse tonight so you can see my rotation and critique it, and also I'm at 760 CP (maybe 759, can't remember). Oh and I was running apprentice mundus instead of Thief, so I'll make a few changes to my setup and see what kind of DPS increases I get. Also, side note, do mag DKs run rearming trap in trials? or is that just for the parses?
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You don’t parse, or in fact do anything in this game beyond levelling alt, with anything other than gold weapons. It costs ~20k to gold out a staff on PC EU and the impact is huge. Do it yesterday.

Anything else we discuss is academical.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is a lot of praise for the thief mundus in this thread and in many others, I have yet to see math on how that mundus is better then apprentice now. Anybody got a link or math to back up that?
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on June 20, 2018 1:16PM
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Power Lash uptime isnt great and since noone except support runs lightning blockade, they wont happen often enough. Run Molten for that boost of spell damage. For sustain issues spell sym is magdks main answer
  • arishok33
    arishok33
    ✭✭
    Maulkin wrote: »

No is the answer. You will get Power Lash procs in trials from the Lightning Blockades of Sorcs. Molten Whip will give you marginally higher DPS against the dummy but lower DPS and sustain in trials. So it's only useful for try-hardning the dummy otherwise it's a useless morph.

Swap IA for either Julianos or preferrably Sun on the body. And go farm Zaan, you really need just one run with some friends to get a heavy or medium head and then transmute it. The shoulders you just need to do dailies for. Easy peasy.

Go practice your rotation though. That DPS is very low unless you are low on CP. You should be hitting 35k with that build on MaxCP without problems. So it sounds like you're not keeping the DoTs up well enough.

Power Lash is BS. Much higher dps with molten whip even in trials.

@Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    It is when you use Siroria/BSW since the spelldamage is already very high and the more crit benefits more.
    Any other set combo I would stick to apprentice.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

@Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    It is when you use Siroria/BSW since the spelldamage is already very high and the more crit benefits more.

I'm happy to be proven wrong with some evidence. When I swapped to Molten Whip for my dummy parses I got around 1k DPS increase. I didn't see any evidence of "much higher dps".

Care to back it up?

Edited by Maulkin on June 20, 2018 5:11PM
    EU | PC | AD
  • arishok33
    arishok33
    ✭✭

@Lightspeedflashb14_ESO

I'm happy to be proven wrong with some evidence. When I swapped to Molten Whip for my dummy parses I got around 1k DPS increase. I didn't see any evidence of "much higher dps".

Care to back it up?

I don't use whip so I don't have any Raidparses from this patch.
    I can however do a 6 mil dummy parse with molten whip and offbalance and then with powerlash.
    Will do tomorrow.

What numbers are you pushing with powerlash?
  • SmellyUnlimited
    SmellyUnlimited
    ✭✭✭✭

Power Lash uptime isnt great and since noone except support runs lightning blockade, they wont happen often enough. Run Molten for that boost of spell damage. For sustain issues spell sym is magdks main answer

^^ This. Molten whip IV adds 100 spell damage to your ardent flame (your primary damage). Off-balance is 25% of what it was previously, and lash has a 3 second cooldown, thus you’ll get only one lash off per off-balance generally. The other 75% of the time where you could benefit from 100 extra spell damage, instead you just go without for a marginal amount of sustain, an unrequired heal, a resisted stun, and a slight increase in damage off base. Flame lash is great for PvP, as the stun/heal pay big dividends, especially when 1vX.

As was said before, and listed for clarity’s sake:

1. Gold weapons out. It makes an immense difference (200 extra spell damage)
    2. Double inferno staves, always. Optimally, if you’re able to complete VMA, farm it’s for a Maelstrom Inferno staff to run on your backbar with blockade of fire.
    3. Level Mage guild skill line (find those lore books!) to unlock Equilibrium. This can be morphed to Spell Symmetry, which gives good Magicka return at the cost of health. Combustion passive and Battle Roar are not enough to sustain on a MagDK.
    DO. NOT. WIPE. (in game OR out!)
    Hiya friends, good news. Gold staves helped a lot, who would have thought? Parse went up to my highest yet, 32k (also worth noting, I switched to thief mundus. Glad I did). Both staves still have Defending trait, so I'll be farming transmutes to ditch that (infused on both, yeah?) and crafting Juli for the armor (and farming BSW Jewels, cause I thought I had them but I don't). Hopefully all that pushes me into 35k? Idk what to expect, what do you guys think?
    Edited by Thestephenmcraeub17_ESO on June 21, 2018 12:22AM
    https://imgur.com/a/gV2oBWT
    Also picture of parse
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any easy way to improve that even without gear is to improve your LA/S ration. In the posted parse you have 70 LA's in a 91 second parse, thats a .77 ratio. I would aim to get that up to high 80s or above. That alone would push you past 35k.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

@Lightspeedflashb14_ESO

Care to back it up?

I can however do a 6 mil dummy parse with molten whip and offbalance and then with powerlash.
    Will do tomorrow.

Apologies, I didn't see your question at first glance. Nothing magical tbh, but then I don't have Siroria or at least that's my excuse :p

On my basic b**** setup (Zaan, Sun, BSW front, vMA back) I usually pull 40-43k DPS depending on lucky crits and fluidity of my rotation etc. etc.

Obligatory screenshot with terrible crit rate on the hardest hitting skills.

5uOrhQZ.png
    EU | PC | AD
  • NoBull
    NoBull
    Can I get a rotation... I'm all over the place with mine. Plus I was curious how elegant would do considering LA contribute alot of the damage
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    NoBull wrote: »
    Can I get a rotation... I'm all over the place with mine. Plus I was curious how elegant would do considering LA contribute alot of the damage

Queen's Elegance? Terribly.

See my light attacks are 8.2k dps. 20% of that is what? 1.6k? Which becomes even worse if you consider that you'd first have to subtract from the 8.2k dps the damage lost due to dropping Sun Silks which is 400 sp. dmg pre-buffs.

So let's say you gain 1.5k dps on your light attacks, being extremely optimistic. But you'll lose 400+ sp. dmg from 80% of your DPS. Which should be between 3-4k dps. Bad deal.

As for your rotation... it should be all over the place. There is no fix rotation really, not past the first 12 seconds. The timers for these skills are quite varied. Just try to keep all the buffs up and apply the one that recently expired. While all the buffs are up... Whip.

If you're in the final strait where boss/skeleton is nearly dead (last 10 secs or so) and your magicka holds up, skip Eruption and Embers (which are low DPS and don't buff you in anyway) and just Whip, Whip, Whip.

You have to pay a lot of attention to your bars or buffs and go back and forth between bars all the time. Nail the bar-cancelling. The rotation style is not much different than MagBlade in my opinion.
    EU | PC | AD
  • NoBull
    NoBull
    So the rotation is still wild and crazy but I think it is efficient. On my break I was able to test it some sets

BSW fire staff nirnhoned front bar flame enchant
    Fire malestrom back bar weapon spell damage enchant
    Grothdar 5-1-1

Ran with acuity got 33k solo on 3 mil dummy

What can I do or adjustments can I make to get in the 40k+ range?

What Mundus? I was told on dummy parse to run lover

(BTW I hit 30k with Queen's elegance)

• Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    NoBull wrote: »
    So the rotation is still wild and crazy but I think it is efficient. On my break I was able to test it some sets

BSW fire staff nirnhoned front bar flame enchant
    Fire malestrom back bar weapon spell damage enchant
    Grothdar 5-1-1

Ran with acuity got 33k solo on 3 mil dummy

What can I do or adjustments can I make to get in the 40k+ range?

What Mundus? I was told on dummy parse to run lover

(BTW I hit 30k with Queen's elegance)

As expected ~3k less with Elegance.

I can't tell you how to improve, I've got nothing to go off. I don't know what skills you run, your CP distribution and I'd have to see a parse video followed by the Combat Metrics report to see if you're weaving properly and keeping up the buffs.

You should run Lover, yes. Download an add-on called Constellations. It attaches to Combat Metrics and when you bring up a parse it gives you the option to analyse the parse and suggest changes to your CP depending on your damage distribution. It'll take care of your penetration for you, among other things.

Other things to note... Double infused staves (front and back) is marginally better but not much difference. Zaan is definitely better than grothdarr for single target (i.e. dummy parsing), adds +1.5k to your dps.

What's your uptime with Mechanical Acuity? If your uptime is under ~23% (I expect below 20%) you'd better off running one of
    - Sun
    - Mother Sorrow
    - Acuity

..on the body. Keep BSW on front bar only. I think Sun is great on MagDK personally.

Edited by Maulkin on June 25, 2018 11:50PM
    EU | PC | AD
  • NoBull
    NoBull
    I'm actually on console so I couldn't tell you up time. But thanks for feedback.
  • arishok33
    arishok33
    ✭✭

@Lightspeedflashb14_ESO

Care to back it up?

Will do tomorrow.

Apologies, I didn't see your question at first glance. Nothing magical tbh, but then I don't have Siroria or at least that's my excuse :p

On my basic b**** setup (Zaan, Sun, BSW front, vMA back) I usually pull 40-43k DPS depending on lucky crits and fluidity of my rotation etc. etc.

Obligatory screenshot with terrible crit rate on the hardest hitting skills.

5uOrhQZ.png

Sry, completely forgot about the parses. Beforehand I have to say these are both really bad parses, because I usually don't rund BSW on Frontbar and spend to much time on my backbar in my usual rotation. Therefore the uptime was really bad. Don't take them as a representation of the DPS possible. You can break 47k easily with this set up.
    Both parses had Offbalance and minor vulnerability provided.

So, barely 43k with Powerlash:
    Screenshot_20180625_162401_zpsstqugko5.png
    Barely 43k with

Almost 46k with molten Whip:
    Screenshot_20180625_160820_zps77c6acr3.png

Difference is almost 3k, in Raid it will only go up. Powerlash is BS.

But actually I wouldn't run any opf these. With FP I can perform way better. In this parse no Offbalance was provided and minor vulnerability only what proccs of FP:
    Screenshot_20180612_142123_zpsqcgvhgyo.png

Almost 49k. With perfect Siroria I could certainly break the 50k.

In terms of Rotation. The DK uses a fixed rotation. Don't know where you got your Magblade comparison but that sounds really weird. I personally go 4/2, when I don't need balance or get guard in the raid I go 5/3. Only thing that ever changes in my rotation.