The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Which race is the best RP wise for a Templar if one want to have the medieval holy paladin feel?

Letholdrus
Letholdrus
✭✭✭
Which race is the best RP wise for a Templar? Are there races similar to for instance a WoW human? Basically what I am asking is which race's buildings, armor, weapons, shields and backstory fit the 'human holy crusader / paladin' the best.

I don't want to pick a race for min max reasons, but I want one where it will 'feel' like I am playing a crusader.

Any thoughts?
  • iGuavaTH
    iGuavaTH
    ✭✭✭
    Breton.
  • EvilCroc
    EvilCroc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    medieval = breton
  • Letholdrus
    Letholdrus
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the quick replies, much appreciated friends.

Breton, I will be then; he said.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton or Imperial. Though if you are going for Magplar, Breton is better, IMO
    The Moot Councillor
  • redshirt_49
    redshirt_49
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magplar = Breton. Stamplar = Imperial
  • EölMPK
    EölMPK
    ✭✭✭
    If you're a D&D fan, you can also make a high elf for magplar. I used to create a lot of elven pallies back in the day.
    Eöl[MPK]
    PS4
    Grungebr - Altmer magicka templar
    Eölbr - Dunmer magicka necro
    Drizztbr - Khajiit stamina nb
    "In my thoughts and in my dreams, they're always in my mind
    These songs of hobbits, dwarves and men, and elves
    Come close your eyes, you can see them too...
    "

• Letholdrus
    Letholdrus
    ✭✭✭

Thanks, I read on the wiki that Breton gets bonus for light armor, which is opposite from what I need to wear? And I then read that Imperial gets bonus that increases 1 hand and shield with 15%

So far stamina Templar knight the imperial may be a better option?

To which historical period / civilisation would the Imperial race be closest? Romans?
  • TheValkyn
    TheValkyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Letholdrus wrote: »

Thanks, I read on the wiki that Breton gets bonus for light armor, which is opposite from what I need to wear? And I then read that Imperial gets bonus that increases 1 hand and shield with 15%

To which historical period / civilisation would the Imperial race be closest? Romans?

The armor and weapon bonuses that you pointed out are just how fast those skills get leveled. They are irrelevant at end game.
  • redshirt_49
    redshirt_49
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeah Romans. Here's a picture of my stamplar.

FR27r7Q.png
  • Letholdrus
    Letholdrus
    ✭✭✭
    TheValkyn wrote: »

The armor and weapon bonuses that you pointed out are just how fast those skills get leveled. They are irrelevant at end game.

Thanks for the info.

But what about this passive of Bretons: https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Gift+of+Magnus

Compared to this passive of Imperials: https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Tough

It would seem that Bretons favour magic based builds and Imperials favour tank stamina builds?
  • SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info.

But what about this passive of Bretons: https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Gift+of+Magnus

Compared to this passive of Imperials: https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Tough

It would seem that Bretons favour magic based builds and Imperials favour tank stamina builds?

that's it
    imperial -> (tanky) stamina
    breton -> magicka
    PC | EU
    Ashlander and Mephala worshipper.
    "You are just another breed of domestic animal, grazing stupidly while higher beings plot your slaughter."
  • Letholdrus
    Letholdrus
    ✭✭✭

FR27r7Q.png

Excellent, thanks for the photo.

New to the game so sorry for all the questions, does the imperial main city also look like early Rome whereas the Breton main city looks like medieval towns?
  • Serjustin19
    Serjustin19
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EvilCroc wrote: »
    medieval = breton

In, Lord of The Rings. High Elves makes good soldiers to. As well as Orcs. Both be great for Templars
    Formerly Serjustin19, Save for Forum Of Course.... Fiery_Darkness (PC NA) currently.
  • Serjustin19
    Serjustin19
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info.

Princess Justine (2015 DC) and Princess Justine (AD, PS4 EU; 2ND Scourge) is and was a Vampire Magicka Imperial. She does really well for damage. (least unsure now) but be careful of running out of Magicka in long hard fights.
    Formerly Serjustin19, Save for Forum Of Course.... Fiery_Darkness (PC NA) currently.
  • redshirt_49
    redshirt_49
    ✭✭✭✭

FR27r7Q.png

New to the game so sorry for all the questions, does the imperial main city also look like early Rome whereas the Breton main city looks like medieval towns?

Eh, pretty much. Breton style is very typically medieval town castle style, with people running around in knight armor and whatnot.
    Imperial is very Roman in nature, with the armor and skirt combos, fuzzy helmets and white marble structures.
  • phermitgb
    phermitgb
    ✭✭✭✭✭

FR27r7Q.png

sadly, to be completely precise, the imperial main city looks like a dark fantasy roman ruin, owing to the fact that it's essentially been invaded by the demon realms (Imperial City is a pvp expansion) - The dark brotherhood questline introduces the gold coast, however, which has some imperial architecture - I would describe it as not-quite-classical roman, but it's close

I too, tried my darndest to build a classic paladin - I always try in every MMO, as Paladin's are my favorite fantasy archetype - and yes, Templars are as close as you can really get in ESO, but the stupid magika vs stamina struggle kinda bones them somewhat. Nearly ALL of your templar CLASS skills are magicka based - but nearly all of your classic paladin GEAR skills (weapons and armor) are stamina based - which means the class SHOULD work best as a sort of hybrid, except, of course, that nearly everyone in game will argue that a true hybrid build does horrible, horrible things to your overall effectiveness

I've settled on a stamina based build for my own templar, and I can still work in a FEW of his mostly magica-based skills that either just do straight percentage buffs or are scaled off of other stats (like the %health -based shield), but I find it constantly frustrating that many of a templar's more exciting and spectacular skills are magicka based

just fair warning to you
    "There is no correct resolution; It's a test of character."
    James T. Kirk
  • S_Ravenlock
    S_Ravenlock
    ✭✭✭
    The Breton zones (Daggerfall covenant) and quest lines are great for a medieval/ D&D-style paladin. Lots knight and lords and ladies and bunches of undead, werewolves and vampires.
    the architecture and armor style are right up that alley as well.

You don't have to wear light armor as a Breton, and even if you are wearing light armor you can hide that with heavy armor if you wish.
    Mirianna Valoran, Templar, EU
  • redshirt_49
    redshirt_49
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your typical Breton castle.
    JbKT2AP.png

An imperial town viewed from distance
    EMCne7f.png

And inside
    IRpugMl.png

Hope that helps. Imperial style is an odd mix of Ancient Roman and Renaissance styles really.
  • EvilCroc
    EvilCroc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imperial culture is mix of Roman and Holy Roman empires.
    With more Roman in Niben Valley and more Holy Roman in Colovia.
  • Letholdrus
    Letholdrus
    ✭✭✭
    phermitgb wrote: »

FR27r7Q.png

sadly, to be completely precise, the imperial main city looks like a dark fantasy roman ruin, owing to the fact that it's essentially been invaded by the demon realms (Imperial City is a pvp expansion) - The dark brotherhood questline introduces the gold coast, however, which has some imperial architecture - I would describe it as not-quite-classical roman, but it's close

I too, tried my darndest to build a classic paladin - I always try in every MMO, as Paladin's are my favorite fantasy archetype - and yes, Templars are as close as you can really get in ESO, but the stupid magika vs stamina struggle kinda bones them somewhat. Nearly ALL of your templar CLASS skills are magicka based - but nearly all of your classic paladin GEAR skills (weapons and armor) are stamina based - which means the class SHOULD work best as a sort of hybrid, except, of course, that nearly everyone in game will argue that a true hybrid build does horrible, horrible things to your overall effectiveness

I've settled on a stamina based build for my own templar, and I can still work in a FEW of his mostly magica-based skills that either just do straight percentage buffs or are scaled off of other stats (like the %health -based shield), but I find it constantly frustrating that many of a templar's more exciting and spectacular skills are magicka based

just fair warning to you

Thanks for the detailed reply and heads-up warning.
  • Letholdrus
    Letholdrus
    ✭✭✭
    The Breton zones (Daggerfall covenant) and quest lines are great for a medieval/ D&D-style paladin. Lots knight and lords and ladies and bunches of undead, werewolves and vampires.

You don't have to wear light armor as a Breton, and even if you are wearing light armor you can hide that with heavy armor if you wish.

Thanks, how would one go about hiding the light armor? Is it possible to transmog now in the game?
  • Letholdrus
    Letholdrus
    ✭✭✭
    Your typical Breton castle.
    JbKT2AP.png

An imperial town viewed from distance
    EMCne7f.png

And inside
    IRpugMl.png

Hope that helps. Imperial style is an odd mix of Ancient Roman and Renaissance styles really.

Thanks for the photos, it definitely helps. I see what you mean by the weird mixture of styles. Although it looks great.
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Thanks, how would one go about hiding the light armor? Is it possible to transmog now in the game?

With the outfit system you can make your light armor look like heavy.
    PC/EU DC
  • S_Ravenlock
    S_Ravenlock
    ✭✭✭

You can either use premade costumes, or make your own via the outfit system. You can use any motif you've unlocked for your own outfits, and you aren't bound by what you are really wearing. So you can make any combination of light, medium and heavy armor no matter what you are actually wearing under it.
    Mirianna Valoran, Templar, EU
  • Azurephoenix999
    Azurephoenix999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to be able to take full advantage of your class abilities (magicka) and the gear abilities (stamina) for RP purposes, it might be worth looking into Pelinal's Aptitude. It's a crafted set which, when wearing 5 pieces, causes both weapon damage and spell damage to both become whichever of the two is highest (e.g. if you focus on magicka, this set will make stamina-scaling abilities just as effective).

Since this set directly references Pelinal Whitestrake (the Divine Crusader), it also fits with your theme of being a holy knight.
    Guildmaster of Spectral Liberty - Xbox One - European Megaserver
  • Letholdrus
    Letholdrus
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to be able to take full advantage of your class abilities (magicka) and the gear abilities (stamina) for RP purposes, it might be worth looking into Pelinal's Aptitude. It's a crafted set which, when wearing 5 pieces, causes both weapon damage and spell damage to both become whichever of the two is highest (e.g. if you focus on magicka, this set will make stamina-scaling abilities just as effective).

Since this set directly references Pelinal Whitestrake (the Divine Crusader), it also fits with your theme of being a holy knight.

Awesome! Thanks for this information friend.

Love the plate set look and the reference to the "The Divine Crusader," is even better than what I could have hoped for :smiley:
    Edited by Letholdrus on June 25, 2018 7:43AM
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not an obvious choice, but the Stam meta race could work.

From what I've come across in game lore and in roleplay, the race that fits the theme of skilled, devout warrior who would fight evil could be Redguard. They might not dress like standard issue knights or organize like them, but they're described in lore as an extremely martial society and they despise necromancy and the undead. They would shun spellcasters too by the third era, since evil and dead things rising from the ground tends to be made possible with magic. So a flashy Templar using magic might not be a Redguard but I suppose it comes down to your preferred fighting style.

I came across a Redguard warrior in RP who would only come to trust a stranger after exposure to wolfsbane and incense smoke. Kind of extreme for RP but it fits the theme.
    Edited by Bladerunner1 on July 5, 2018 3:00AM
  • rexagamemnon
    rexagamemnon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton
  • FoolishOptimist
    FoolishOptimist
    ✭✭✭
    As some have already pointed out, the Outfit System let's you hide your current armour with the appearance of another. My High Elf Magplar is decked out in light gear but appears to wear full heavy Divine Prosecution.

In PvP environments, Magicka Templars benefit from running a One Hand and Shield in addition to an offensive Destruction Staff. So you can definitely go magicka and still maintain a paladin feel for PvP.
    1H+S Defensive Bar = Melee mag attacks, heals, buffs
    Destro (Fire) Offensive Bar = Damage over time skills, burst damage, ranged attacks, crowd control.

The Psijic Skill lines synergises well with the templar's play-style.

Templars are my favourite class, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the Devs have in store for us with Update 19, when all classes will receive a modernising overhaul.
    Edited by FoolishOptimist on July 6, 2018 8:36PM
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best race for role playing a templar?!?

Did i read your question correctly?
    Edited by Drdeath20 on July 6, 2018 9:09PM