The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Thoughts on a two team Battlegrounds?

Urvoth
Urvoth
✭✭✭✭✭
IMO adding a two team, 6v6 Battlegrounds mode would be a great addition with more future potential for stuff like competitive rankings or tournaments.
  • CompM4s
    CompM4s
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be awesome
  • HeathenDeacon
    HeathenDeacon
    ✭✭✭
    i think that it really only be good if they added some sort of private or custom matches.
    it'd be great for competitions, but for casual play it wouldnt be that much fun imo.
    You'd end up getting much more one sided stomps in pugs.
    Though throwing in the option might bring more people into BGs, so i guess it couldnt hurt as long as people could still seperately Q for 3v3v3.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there'd be a boring period when one team kills all 6 of the other team and stands around waiting for them to respawn.

Also, being on the losing team would suck in any game where the other team gets a commanding lead or the outcome is obvious. Even with three teams there's times when the outcome is so obvious I'm thinking "Why am I bothering?" but keep playing.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think there'd be a boring period when one team kills all 6 of the other team and stands around waiting for them to respawn.

Also, being on the losing team would suck in any game where the other team gets a commanding lead or the outcome is obvious. Even with three teams there's times when the outcome is so obvious I'm thinking "Why am I bothering?" but keep playing.

This only happens in poorly designed bgs. Spawn camping is easily remedied and has been solved by numerious mmos years ago. This argument has no weight.

As far as knowing a garunteed loss well in advance, well that is going to happen in any 2 team affair where one team is getting crushed and there is a set timer.
    Edited by exeeter702 on June 18, 2018 6:32PM
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »

This only happens in poorly designed bgs. Spawn camping is easily remedied and has been solved by numerious mmos years ago. This argument has no weight.

As far as knowing a garunteed loss well in advance, well that is going to happen in any 2 team affair where one team is getting crushed and there is a set timer.

You say numerous mmos like the majority of mmos aren’t pve driven and have terrible pvp, there’s actually few mmos with good pvp. That’s why no one takes them seriously in terms of competition, it’s certainly has little to do with the formatting.
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You say numerous mmos like the majority of mmos aren’t pve driven and have terrible pvp, there’s actually few mmos with good pvp. That’s why no one takes them seriously in terms of competition, it’s certainly has little to do with the formatting.

Spawn camping isn't a mmo PvP specific thing though. Other PvP games have dealt with it fine and there isn't any reason why ESO couldn't either.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Regardless of you feel about these games and whether or not you are just fishing for mmo hipster points on the interent, wow, swtor, war, rift, wildstar all handled battle grounds very well, wow and swtor in particular are exemplary in map / objective design. It has everything to do with formatting. You can make sweeping accusations about how little they are taken seriously, but having spent years in the genre, that is rarely the case.

Bgs arent competitive by nature of being larger team based affairs designed around allowing players to jump in and out at will. No one worth listening to is advocating for highly competitive ranked bgs in eso when talking about 2 team battlegrounds.
    Edited by exeeter702 on June 18, 2018 8:06PM
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Regardless of you feel about these games and whether or not you are just fishing for mmo hipster points on the interent, wow, swtor, war, rift, wildstar all handled battle grounds very well, wow and swtor in particular are exemplary in map / objective design. It has everything to do with formatting. You can make sweeping accusations about how little they are taken seriously, but having spent years in the genre, that is rarely the case.

Bgs arent competitive by nature of being larger team based affairs designed around allowing players to jump in and out at will. No one worth listening to is advocating for highly competitive ranked bgs in eso when talking about 2 team battlegrounds.

How many mmos right now are known for pvp is what I’m saying? You’re implying numerous mmos handle pvp well , when that’s not true few do in comparison to how many actual mmos that exists. Mmos have a bad rep for pvp, it has nothing to do with how long you played them. If you was playing the genre so long I’m sure you’d know that even if you can name 20 that’s minuscule.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

How many mmos right now are known for pvp is what I’m saying? You’re implying numerous mmos handle pvp well , when that’s not true few do in comparison to how many actual mmos that exists. Mmos have a bad rep for pvp, it has nothing to do with how long you played them. If you was playing the genre so long I’m sure you’d know that even if you can name 20 that’s minuscule.

My point is not in regards to their popularity in being "known" for their pvp, that is irrelevant. There are plenty of reasons for why those games are out of the limelight and not known for their pvp that speak to larger issues. Looking at general design, instanced bgs in those games were well liked and designed very well. Their templates absolutely make for a good foundation. Eso is no different regarding the stigma of mmos not being known for pvp, thinking otherwise only demonstrates a clear bias. Eso has solid pvp, and others absolutely have as well. The difference here is those other mmos had healthy well designed, intelligent BGs of which ESOs are the weakest ive experienced in any mmo barring AoC and TSW which hold the gold standard for exactly what NOT to do.

The moment to moment gameplay of eso makes pvp very satisfying, and the game would do well to borrow from strong successfull executions in other mmos that have done it better.
    Edited by exeeter702 on June 18, 2018 10:27PM