The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Magplar vs Magdk sustain.

WickidMexican
WickidMexican
✭✭✭
I know magplar has rune focus which is 120 every .5 secs while magdk has battle roar. Has anybody tested to see which one has slightly better sustain?
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    honestly I think it really depends on the skill of the player
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PvE, Magplar wins. I believe DKs effective class regen pre patch was around 250, then it got buffed with combustion an extra 100. Magplars was around 400+
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • WickidMexican
    WickidMexican
    ✭✭✭
    Gotcha i didnt know how magdk battle roar was if you convert it to regen. I love both classes they feel awesome but i been trying to pick which one to play lately.
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you want raw deeps, MagDK wins, sustain isn't even that much worse.
    Best houseknight EU.
  • SmellyUnlimited
    SmellyUnlimited
    ✭✭✭✭
    ak_pvp wrote: »

IMO, Magplar narrowly beats MagDK. Obviously it depends on build/race to an extent, but if comparable on both:

Focus gives an effective 240 extra Magicka regen per tick. MagDK has Combustion but the 500 every 5 seconds is dependent on the burning status effect, which doesn’t have 100% uptime (unless you’re using Elemental Weapon or Asylum), but even then it doesn’t seem to make much difference.

Also keep in mind that Magplar’s choose high elf fairly regularly, while DK’s are almost locked in to Dark Elf for the 7% extra fire dmg. High elves have much better sustain.
    DO. NOT. WIPE. (in game OR out!)
  • clocksstoppe
    clocksstoppe
    ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, Magplar narrowly beats MagDK. Obviously it depends on build/race to an extent, but if comparable on both:

Focus gives an effective 240 extra Magicka regen per tick. MagDK has Combustion but the 500 every 5 seconds is dependent on the burning status effect, which doesn’t have 100% uptime (unless you’re using Elemental Weapon or Asylum), but even then it doesn’t seem to make much difference.

Also keep in mind that Magplar’s choose high elf fairly regularly, while DK’s are almost locked in to Dark Elf for the 7% extra fire dmg. High elves have much better sustain.

yeah lets pretend dk doesnt get half their magicka back on every standard use XD templar god of sustain LUL XDD
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

yeah lets pretend dk doesnt get half their magicka back on every standard use XD templar god of sustain LUL XDD

I hope you realize that overall templar has a bit better sustain, it doesn't really matter how they get it back, whether its a chunk or over time, templar remains better.
    Edited by ak_pvp on June 18, 2018 12:12AM
    Best houseknight EU.
  • WickidMexican
    WickidMexican
    ✭✭✭
    My magplar is at level 42 at the moment so i havent really tested dps and sustain yet. As for gear that ill be wearing. Im gonna try to do juli, bsw, and zaan. I think i can replace bsw with mothers sorrow if it im having terrible uptime on bsw. Also im not saying one is better then the other just trying to see which has the better sustain. I know magdk is burst sustain while magplar is with rune focus. On my magdk i was pushing 38k with bsw, sun, and zaan. Im no god with my rotation but thats the best i can get out of him. Hopefully i can get the same or close to those numbers with magplar.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that Templars have to use a bar slot for channeled focus, and recast it frequently. DK’s give up nothing for sustain since both their sources are passives.
  • WickidMexican
    WickidMexican
    ✭✭✭
    Yea i know but they have the 10% extra crit damage and burning light. Idk how much it procs but hopefully enough to make a difference.
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mag plar sustain wins, but mag dk is much, MUCH better dps.
  • Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magdk wins in this too. You just cannot stand still on Magplar rune in any endgame content pve, wvw, pvp,..
    Edited by Stibbons on June 18, 2018 8:59AM
  • Valkysas154
    Valkysas154
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to point out that going from a wood elf - all stanima racials to a high elf- i only had a 70 regen difference
    was not worth being tall so changed her back it did give me a decent chunk on mana tho

• Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Stibbons wrote: »
    Magdk wins in this too. You just cannot stand still on Magplar rune in any endgame content pve, wvw, pvp,..

You don't need to just stand in it, you can just stand in it every 8 seconds and keep up the magicka return. Also even if you cast it and don't stand in it at all you will get more magicka back than it took to cast it.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both are debatably the worst. As usual templar is in conversation as having the worst or being the worst.
  • WickidMexican
    WickidMexican
    ✭✭✭
    I appreciate all the feedback. I went with magplar for now. Almost level 50 and got my gear ready. Also not trying to be mean but i was asking for sustain. Dps wise i know magplars are a little under the rest but its not like you need 48k+ for trials even 35k should be enough for any content.