Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why are there so many platinum seams and so few of the others?

chaserstorm16909
chaserstorm16909
✭✭✭✭✭
It literally takes me over an hour to find enough silver seams so I can do my writs.
  • swippy
    swippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    assuming it's like the other lines, there's a 50% chance the node you find will be at the character's level (platinum corresponds with gearcap at CP160) and a 50% chance it'll be at the crafting line's level. if you're finding way more platinum and you haven't maxed out the line, it's just bad luck. sorry.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the zone shared by everyone so if everyone already has max level crafting you should zone to a different zone where there are less people
  • redshirt_49
    redshirt_49
    ✭✭✭✭
    Farm in rivenspire.
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting nodes split between your character level and the skill line level.

So a level 1 character with zero points spent in blacksmithing splits nodes between iron and iron. A level 1 character with maxed blacksmithing splits between iron and rubedite.

A max character with 9 points spent in blacksmithing splits between rubedite and voidstone.

As with the other crafting skill lines, if you want to guarantee farming of a certain material then you must grow a character to the desired level and then stop gaining xp, and put the right number of skill points in those skill lines.
    Edited by Cryptical on June 14, 2018 4:55PM
    Xbox NA
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cpt_Teemo wrote: »
    Isn't the zone shared by everyone so if everyone already has max level crafting you should zone to a different zone where there are less people

The seams will look different depending on your crafting level. I was running around with guildies this weekend and asked a friend. She could see a copper node and I could see a pewter node.

(And now I'm curious as to whether there are seams that are "crafting level" and seams that are "character level" that will display consistently to different players as such)
    The Moot Councillor
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    Cpt_Teemo wrote: »

The seams will look different depending on your crafting level. I was running around with guildies this weekend and asked a friend. She could see a copper node and I could see a pewter node.

(And now I'm curious as to whether there are seams that are "crafting level" and seams that are "character level" that will display consistently to different players as such)

People that have run a circle to pick up mats have seen a node spawn as character and crafter level.

Example... if you’ve got a max character with zero points in smith and 3 points in jewelry, you’ll see an ore node drop rubedite, iron, platinum, or electrum.

Rubedite or platinum based on character level, iron or electrum based on skill level.

The enchanting nodes also have a chance to spawn the psijic portal.
    Edited by Cryptical on June 14, 2018 5:24PM
    Xbox NA
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the same node will be seen differently by players. I have no idea if all players viewing a node will see an ore or a seam, or if that can be mixed, too. When it was ores-only, you'd see rubedite, and I'd see iron (funny how it's always that way round).

I don't think the "Craft level" or "Play level" setting is part of the node itself, as that would mean a node always shows the same material to a given character, and making loops around an area (with a character that can get two levels) can quickly show that's not happening. That mechanism existed before the jewelry mats, and I don't see any reason it would have changed.
  • swippy
    swippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @AlnilamE ooh, that's an interesting question! it seems like it'd take a bunch of testing to find if certain nodes are differentiated as "level or line" if by set location. i think if it wasn't by location but just every single node might be by level this time or might be by line, then not only would it be impossible to determine, but maybe not worth the effort of coding as such. just my first impression.
  • Mothball888
    Are you not given a box of silver from the completion of the writ? I haven't upgraded off of pewter yet, but I get almost 100% back in raw mats in the writ rewards as it took to craft the gear for the writs. A wash if you will. I can writ 14 characters in one day and have the same # of pewter ounces at the end as when I started.

• Ragged_Claw
    Ragged_Claw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get that it should be 50/50 but I feel like I'm finding more platinum than anything else too. I guess it's just evil old RNG, and the fact that I can never find what I'm looking for... :smiley:
    PC EU & NA
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get that it should be 50/50 but I feel like I'm finding more platinum than anything else too. I guess it's just evil old RNG, and the fact that I can never find what I'm looking for... :smiley:

It’s also possible that they have turned up the rate of jewelry spawns because this is the initial fill of that item into the game. Lots of it needs to come into the game because there’s also a lot of people pushing lots of the ounces back out of the game to make their crafted jewelry - and lots of experimentation with combining crafted sets.
    Xbox NA
  • strangeradnd
    strangeradnd
    ✭✭✭✭

On the bright side when you need platinum you'll already have a good supply on hand!
  • Xerikten
    Xerikten
    ✭✭✭✭
    metal nodes are crafting level and character level. when both are the same level they will be the same metal. players will see them differently if different levels.

since now seems also spawn from the same metal nodes you have that too. so if you continue running around harvesting in the same area just your crating level seem node in no time it will spawn to the other three. this will making it pointless to be in the same area running in circles unless YOU HARVEST EVERY METAL NODE. this way you can respawn what you need.

I personally do my "circuit" in a area where no one else is. no need to help the chumps out.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are there so many platinum seams and so few of the others?
    Random chance.

I find more of the others then I do stumble over platinum seams.

Of course, the chances vary with your skill progression...

Like, at low skill you have 50% chance for pewter, and 50% for platinum. Then at a higher skill you get a 50% chance for, say, siolver, and 50% platinum. And so on. Meaning you will amass a big pile of platinum you cannot use yet, but the other materials you do use will only grow at half rate...

(You -would- have more luck if you farmed for those with a lower level alt, you know...)

The upside of all that is...
    On the bright side when you need platinum you'll already have a good supply on hand!
    ...this!
    When you DO get to the max tier, you will have enough platinum lying around to make whatever you want!
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only just restarted and haven't even made it to level 10 yet and I have so much Pewter that I don't know what to do with myself (let alone to do with it). Who knew that there would be deposits of a nickel/silver alloy all over the place.
  • chaserstorm16909
    chaserstorm16909
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you not given a box of silver from the completion of the writ? I haven't upgraded off of pewter yet, but I get almost 100% back in raw mats in the writ rewards as it took to craft the gear for the writs. A wash if you will. I can writ 14 characters in one day and have the same # of pewter ounces at the end as when I started.

Nope. The last two writs I got a box of copper and then a box of pewter. Completely unusable when you need silver. Although I just got to level 40 so maybe electrum will be easier to find.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, you only get the same mat when you are doing Tier 1 writs.

When One Tamriel came out, ZOS added a box of materials *below the crafting level of the writ* whenever you didn't get a survey as a writ reward. This was done because crafters were concerned about not being able to craft intermediate level items for others if they could not find them in the world.

Since there is no material below level 1, if you don't get a survey, you'll get a box of pewter.

That is how it works, usually. Which is why I try to look for something else instead.

Maybe pretend you are stocking up on Platinum for when you need to craft CP 160 jewelry? :-)
    The Moot Councillor
  • Lyss1991
    Lyss1991
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its only 50/50 on characters that arent maxed out.

Example: My crafter is max CP. All skill lines maxed including passives. When im farming, All regular nodes (Blacksmith, Clothing, Woodworking) I ALWAYS find the high level mats (Ancestor Silk, Rubedite Ore, Ruby Ash Wood)

EXCEPT for jewelry. Im finding a mix between Platinum (160) and Silver (current crafting line level)

Im also finding WAY more Platinum than Silver, But I got lucky and ive already got 2 crafting surveys from my jewelry writs, So that helped me catch up on my Silver stash. Gonna keep it at Silver until I reach 50 (Level 38 now) because I dont feel like grinding another material type.
    PS4 NA EST June 2016 | GM of Tamriel’s Outkasts Social Guild | Main - Assylah - Max CP Breton Mag Sorc - Master Angler - Mageslayer - Shehai Shatterer - Ophidian Overlord | Best Thief in Tamriel - Khajiit NB Purrfecta Meowna | Aspiring Master Crafter | Achievement Hunter | Recipe/Blueprint Enthusiast | Costume Junkie | Primary Residence - Princely Dawnlight Palace
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    its most likely 5% jewellery level 95% character level, after all some one does not want players to level & use this skill

Al least this is how it appears from my farming, so much so that I gave up and bought enough materials & farm other things to make enough gold to not notice.

All my CP characters see very few low level seams but about the expected number of seams, just all platinum
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use a low level character?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • chaserstorm16909
    chaserstorm16909
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lyss1991 wrote: »
    Its only 50/50 on characters that arent maxed out.

Example: My crafter is max CP. All skill lines maxed including passives. When im farming, All regular nodes (Blacksmith, Clothing, Woodworking) I ALWAYS find the high level mats (Ancestor Silk, Rubedite Ore, Ruby Ash Wood)

EXCEPT for jewelry. Im finding a mix between Platinum (160) and Silver (current crafting line level)

Im also finding WAY more Platinum than Silver, But I got lucky and ive already got 2 crafting surveys from my jewelry writs, So that helped me catch up on my Silver stash. Gonna keep it at Silver until I reach 50 (Level 38 now) because I dont feel like grinding another material type.

It's the same for me. Except I have been unlucky and not got any surveys yet.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the real quetion is - why am i receiving 80% level 1 jewelry as rewards for completing crafting writs - and, only 20% level cp160 jewelry...

you know true random number generation is actually pretty rare and rather costly...

molag bal poops on me when it comes to most things rng related...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One more issue to consider: Platinum seams are MUCH more easily visible than Electrum or even Silver seams. (Copper is fairly obvious). If you have the keen eye perk, you should get a 50/50 split of platinum and a lower level seam (assuming your JC is not maxed but you are at CP160+) at night time, but in the daytime, it's a lot easier to see platinum from a distance - Electrum seams just blend into the rock colouring.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get near 50/50 between the level crafting I am at and platinum when harvesting. Have not really had an issue with that being off balance.

What OP may be experiencing is jewelry seams compete with blacksmithing nodes and it seems that it may be 1 in 5 times it will be a jewelry seam.
  • Elf_Boy
    Elf_Boy
    ✭✭✭
    I'm having trouble getting enough low level mats as well. Nice to know I am building up supplied of the higher level stuff.

I just paid for another char slot to run someone though the new tutorial - mayhaps they will become my new farmer.
    ** Asus Crosshair VI Hero, Ryzen 1800x, 64GB DDR4 @ 3000, GTX 1080 ti, 4K Samsung 3d Display m.2 Sata 3 Boot Drive, m.2 x4 nvme Game Drive **
  • Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think people are confused. It's not the level of the crafting skill that determines which mats spawn, but the amount of points you put into the first passive of the skill (ie. Metalworking, Engraving, etc.). Of course this is gated by the skill line level, but you need to put points in there to actually make it count. So the node level chance comes from your character level and the first passive in that crafting skill line. If you have a character with maxed out crafting but no points put in it, then you will still find low level mats. If you have maxed out crafting with all points in the first passive, then you will only find the highest level mats.

All players will see the same crafting category of node (blacksmithing, woodworking, jewelery, etc), but players might see different level mats depending on the previously mentioned chance. This discrepancy exists until the first person interacts with that node, then everyone sees the same level mat. A classic example is if a low level player sees jute, takes the mat, and leaves worms in it, then I can come along on my master crafter and still "see" the jute node, which shouldn't be possible.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^^

He is correct that it is irrelevant how far someone has leveled the craft if they do not spend points bring the crafting to that level.

One can have jewelry maxed at 50 but spent no points and will still find pewter half the time.
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't upgrade anything material wise until I was level 50. That way on my wtits I went from pewter to platnium and didn't have to worry about any of the in-between stuff. Plus the only good stuff you get from the writs now are the surveys .
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not complaining,once you max it out youll have a good supply for max crafting
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    my current strategy is based around surveys.

have 1 toon will always get platinum, one that will always get copper. working two up, 1 for silver and 1 for electrum. several for pewter... but that will change.