The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Why are there so many platinum seams and so few of the others?

• AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think people are confused. It's not the level of the crafting skill that determines which mats spawn, but the amount of points you put into the first passive of the skill (ie. Metalworking, Engraving, etc.). Of course this is gated by the skill line level, but you need to put points in there to actually make it count. So the node level chance comes from your character level and the first passive in that crafting skill line. If you have a character with maxed out crafting but no points put in it, then you will still find low level mats. If you have maxed out crafting with all points in the first passive, then you will only find the highest level mats.

All players will see the same crafting category of node (blacksmithing, woodworking, jewelery, etc), but players might see different level mats depending on the previously mentioned chance. This discrepancy exists until the first person interacts with that node, then everyone sees the same level mat. A classic example is if a low level player sees jute, takes the mat, and leaves worms in it, then I can come along on my master crafter and still "see" the jute node, which shouldn't be possible.

Yes, I'm sorry. I am using 'crafting level" as a short cut to mean "material tier" because it's the level you can craft things at. I do realize now that it is confusing.
    The Moot Councillor
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if this will help:

I am lvl 50, blacksmithing is maxed, and my JC is at about 17 right now.

I see rubedite probably 70% of the time. Platinum 20% and Pewter about 10%

and that's no matter what zone I am in.
    Edited by JJBoomer on June 14, 2018 9:32PM
  • AndyMac
    AndyMac
    ✭✭✭✭
    My main is at level 30 and silver nodes do seem more infrequent than platinum OR pewter nodes.

I'm just going to level him to 50 - like my crafter is now - with dolmen jewellery drops this weekend and be done with it.

I'm not ever going to use mats for lower level jewels anyway.
    Andymac - Magicka DK - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my current strategy is based around surveys.

have 1 toon will always get platinum, one that will always get copper. working two up, 1 for silver and 1 for electrum. several for pewter... but that will change.

i'm on console - it's funny how all my pre-summerset strategies went to crap once I actually started the jewelry crafting skill line...

doing 10 jewelry crafting writs a day, feeding my main crafter all the cp160 jewels for deconstruction - unfortunately 80% of the jewels I receive as rewards for turning in writs are level 1...wasn't expecting that...

also didn't realize how hard it would be to get gear to research...finally found my first infused jewelry piece in a psijic portal yesterday...

right now i'm re-allocating my cp on characters to ensure I have the treasure hunter passive - I can't afford to keep opening "simple" chests when I need some piece of jewelry to drop in every chest I open so I can deconstruct it...

holding on to my blue and purple jewels until I raise my extraction skill...also gonna hold on to my surveys until then...

originally I thought it might take three weeks to be able to craft some epic 3 trait (torug's pact) jewels...

yeah, that probably ain't happening...8 days in and i'm only level 15...

once I hit level 40 or so I'll make sure i have all the jewelry lorebooks, and, start buying pvp jewelry to deconstruct...

just bought 25 copper ounces for 17.5k last night...

this is gonna end up being an expensive grind In terms of time and coin...
    Edited by geonsocal on June 14, 2018 9:50PM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    I think people are confused. It's not the level of the crafting skill that determines which mats spawn, but the amount of points you put into the first passive of the skill (ie. Metalworking, Engraving, etc.). Of course this is gated by the skill line level, but you need to put points in there to actually make it count. So the node level chance comes from your character level and the first passive in that crafting skill line. If you have a character with maxed out crafting but no points put in it, then you will still find low level mats. If you have maxed out crafting with all points in the first passive, then you will only find the highest level mats.

All players will see the same crafting category of node (blacksmithing, woodworking, jewelery, etc), but players might see different level mats depending on the previously mentioned chance. This discrepancy exists until the first person interacts with that node, then everyone sees the same level mat. A classic example is if a low level player sees jute, takes the mat, and leaves worms in it, then I can come along on my master crafter and still "see" the jute node, which shouldn't be possible.

Yes, I'm sorry. I am using 'crafting level" as a short cut to mean "material tier" because it's the level you can craft things at. I do realize now that it is confusing.

No worries, I just wanted to make it clear for anyone lurking or otherwise unsure about how it actually worked.

Like another person said, it's more advantageous this way because we can control the material level for nodes, writs, etc. I happen to have way more pewter than the other in-between types, so while leveling jewelry crafting on alts I just never put points into the Engraving passive until the skill line hits 50. Then it's straight from pewter to platinum writs.
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »

have 1 toon will always get platinum, one that will always get copper. working two up, 1 for silver and 1 for electrum. several for pewter... but that will change.

i'm on console - it's funny how all my pre-summerset strategies went to crap once I actually started the jewelry crafting skill line...

doing 10 jewelry crafting writs a day, feeding my main crafter all the cp160 jewels for deconstruction - unfortunately 80% of the jewels I receive as rewards for turning in writs are level 1...wasn't expecting that...

also didn't realize how hard it would be to get gear to research...finally found my first infused jewelry piece in a psijic portal yesterday...

right now i'm re-allocating my cp on characters to ensure I have the treasure hunter passive - I can't afford to keep opening "simple" chests when I need some piece of jewelry to drop in every chest I open so I can deconstruct it...

holding on to my blue and purple jewels until I raise my extraction skill...also gonna hold on to my surveys until then...

originally I thought it might take three weeks to be able to craft some epic 3 trait (torug's pact) jewels...

once I hit level 40 or so I'll make sure i have all the jewelry lorebooks, and, start buying pvp jewelry to deconstruct...

compare it to other crafting skills at the start..... 8 days in lvl 15, that's not bad.

my strategy evolved after summerset hit.
  • Lyss1991
    Lyss1991
    ✭✭✭✭
    The best ways I have found to level JC are Dolmens, Vaults in IC, And spending AP on boxes in Cyro. Ive done all of these and im level 42 as of today, With only 3-4 hours of dolmen farming since Day 1.
    PS4 NA EST June 2016 | GM of Tamriel’s Outkasts Social Guild | Main - Assylah - Max CP Breton Mag Sorc - Master Angler - Mageslayer - Shehai Shatterer - Ophidian Overlord | Best Thief in Tamriel - Khajiit NB Purrfecta Meowna | Aspiring Master Crafter | Achievement Hunter | Recipe/Blueprint Enthusiast | Costume Junkie | Primary Residence - Princely Dawnlight Palace
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »

compare it to other crafting skills at the start..... 8 days in lvl 15, that's not bad.

my strategy evolved after summerset hit.

you are most definitely right about that :)

I had to keep telling myself that at least it isn't as bad as leveling enchanting (that took over a year)...then again - it sure ain't like leveling alchemy (less than an hour)...
    Edited by geonsocal on June 14, 2018 11:16PM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    Cpt_Teemo wrote: »
    Isn't the zone shared by everyone so if everyone already has max level crafting you should zone to a different zone where there are less people

The seams will look different depending on your crafting level. I was running around with guildies this weekend and asked a friend. She could see a copper node and I could see a pewter node.

(And now I'm curious as to whether there are seams that are "crafting level" and seams that are "character level" that will display consistently to different players as such)

No you can get a 50/50 chance but the nodes is the same “type” of node just different levels. Say you see a metal ore node everyone sees a metal ore just one for their level. If you see a jewelry node it jewelry for everyone just once again that 50/50 rule. If you character level and crafting level don’t match you have a chance of two different nodes if you have a max level friend with a different crafting level then that one node has the chance to be three different nodes. But you can only have see it as one of two your character or crafting level.

TL;DR
    Each node can be every single level if enough players of different levels are looking at it. Just from your point of view it can only be one of two nodes.
    Chaos Shadow-Scale: Shadow Archer
    Chaos Death-Scale: Shadow Knight
    Tanks-With-Sap-Essence: Dark Mage
    Dark Brotherhood Listener: Blade of Argonia
    Chaos Dragon-Scale: Draconic Shield Master
    Chaos Light-Scale: Marsh Paladin
    Chaos Lightning-Scale: Daedric Master
    Hurricane Chaos: Storm Archer
    Bask-In-My-Light: Warrior of The Light
    Forged-In-Dragon-Fire: Pyro Mage
    Guardian of The Hist: Light Mender
    Chaos of Black Marsh: Master of The Burning Sword
    Star of Chaos: Frost Blade Champion
    Chaos-Lightning-Tower: Lightning Shield Master

For the King of Argonia
    May Sithis hold back his Void
  • POps75p
    POps75p
    ✭✭✭✭
    It literally takes me over an hour to find enough silver seams so I can do my writs.

because your stupid if you that high vs staying at lv 1 crafter until you hit 50
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    POps75p wrote: »
    It literally takes me over an hour to find enough silver seams so I can do my writs.

because your stupid if you that high vs staying at lv 1 crafter until you hit 50

what's being high got to do with anything :p

hmmmm, you may have a point...i was wondering the same thing myself (just turned level 15 and moved up to copper)...

wouldn't you get more inspiration though from crafting and completing writs by using higher level materials and being able to deconstruct higher level writ reward jewelry...

all the level 1 jewels i'm receiving as rewards for crafting writs are useless...
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the same issue OP. What I did was bank all my JC surveys and have the character I was leveling prospect them. Half the seams were platinum the other half was silver.
    Edited by Fur_like_snow on June 15, 2018 3:56AM
  • snackrat
    snackrat
    ✭✭✭
    The properties of the spawn point itself isn't set, but when a node spawns in it is set to either craft passive or character level, which is consistent for all players (as much was said by ZOS staff when levelling nodes were released). The model that loads (and what it drops) are dependant on your own stats in either of those categories. In the case of JC, the spawns are also not set to ore/seams specifically but will generate one for all players. (I mined some nearby iron ore while waiting and when I tabbed back in it had spawned again as pewter.)

You're seeing a lot of platinum seems because I assume you're CP160+ but are still levelling the JC line. Nodes that spawn as 'craft' will vary as your skill does, but nodes spawning as 'level' will always be platinum for you. So naturally you seem saturated with platinum. Beyond that, it's just RNG (perhaps with some player demand thrown in). The division between craft and level is supposed to be 50/50.

If you want to farm pewter itself, you could use an underlevelled alt. A fresh one will get pewter every time, because their passive and level are both bottom tier. If you have someone more middling (like a L36-49) you can get T2 copper to help level the skill. (After that, Silver and Electrum are CP scaled, so you'll be dependant on craft-scaling.)
    Edited by snackrat on July 4, 2018 3:12PM
  • neverwalk
    neverwalk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Give jewelry nodes their own nodes, they are now shared with ORE nodes