The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

NA v. EU Mega Server

jamie.f.wilkinson_ESO
Okay so here is what I don't quite understand. The NA server was down for 9hrs. Wanting to make the use of my early access time, I figured I'd create a character on the EU mega server. After I figured out how to make the change, I learned that I have to install the game all over again. This makes no sense. If I already have the game installed, why in the world do I need to install it again just to access another megaserver?

Not sure if this was by design or another glitch. Any insight would be great.
  • Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just copy paste the folder and the rename one to EU and one not. Make sure you do a check on the one you duplicate. I suspect there are subtle differences but why they didn't just put the meat of the client in one folder then the subtle differences to another 2, 1 for EU and 1 for NA is beyond me.

There's just no logic to there current way of doing it because surely the only difference must be 1 line in a text file which tells the client which server to connect to. I'm sure they could have done it all via the launcher folder.
    Edited by Loxy37 on April 2, 2014 5:56PM
  • Steorling
    Steorling
    ✭✭✭
    PLEASE BE AWARE: IF YOU SWITCH SERVERS, THE LAUNCHER WILL INSIST ON DOWNLOADING THE ENTIRE CLIENT ALL OVER AGAIN FOR THE ONE YOU DIDN'T USE LAST.

It's been doing this to me since early access began. You have to go directly into the separate client folders to the .exe file to avoid it...and even then about every third time it won't let you login without running through the whole download mess again. It's a pain since I have people expecting me on both servers on a daily basis. The only response I get to my questions is that server switching will be enabled "after launch".
  • korkibucek
    korkibucek
    ✭✭✭
    Just sounds like poor planning and development work.

A lot of work seems to have gone into the core game, the supporting software (launcher, forums, website.. Ect) seem to be very poor.
  • GossiTheDog
    GossiTheDog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't have to redown. You just rename the folder under C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online. E.g. to go to EU, just name it "The Elder Scrolls Online EU". Restart the launcher, you're straight in.
  • korkibucek
    korkibucek
    ✭✭✭
    You don't have to redown. You just rename the folder under C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online. E.g. to go to EU, just name it "The Elder Scrolls Online EU". Restart the launcher, you're straight in.

If this is the case then it's extremely poor that the launcher actually redownloads the whole game.
  • jelliedsoup
    jelliedsoup
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I renamed the Folder, I restarted launcher and then had to run a repair but was able to connect to the EU server (which ironically is now down).
    www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Ks8_KGHqmO4
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually the difference is a realmlist and localization.

Launcher tells the client which version of the files to load.

Not sure why they did the separate client route here.
  • Silliab16_ESO
    Usually the difference is a realmlist and localization.

Launcher tells the client which version of the files to load.

Not sure why they did the separate client route here.
    I think it is because they get updated at different times.