The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Which house is the best to get?

Bubwall
Bubwall
Soul Shriven
I know this is based on opinions but I would really like to know which manor is the best?

DAGGERFALL OUTLOOKS + MOURNOTH KEEP (thats two) OR EARTHTEAR CAVERN?
I WANT SOMETHING THATS REALLY BIG LIKE EARTHTEAR BUT AT THE SAME TIME I WANT A CASTLE FEELING (big interior as well as outdoor space)

(Still accepting more answers)

Edited by Bubwall on May 22, 2018 1:35PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one you like, is the right price, and has enough housing slots for what you want to do with it.

Yeah, that's kind of an unhelpful answer, but it might help if we knew what you wanted. Is this for personal use? Guild house? Does it need to have tons of crafting stations in it? Do you want access to water? Are you buying with gold or crowns? Etc.
  • Bubwall
    Bubwall
    Soul Shriven
    Just a really good house in your opion thats all I want to know because I like them all but I would like to know more from the professionals, I’m mainly looking at manors or other big houses, but I wouldn’t mind if there is answers about any type.
    The one you like, is the right price, and has enough housing slots for what you want to do with it.

Yeah, that's kind of an unhelpful answer, but it might help if we knew what you wanted. Is this for personal use? Guild house? Does it need to have tons of crafting stations in it? Do you want access to water? Are you buying with gold or crowns? Etc.

Edited by Bubwall on May 20, 2018 10:49PM
  • Luthivar
    Luthivar
    ✭✭✭
    The really big houses are usually harder to decorate, they are just not as cozy as the smaller ones and you might not want to place as much details like flasks.

I own Mathiisen, Ebonheart Chateau, Amaya Lake Lodge, Grand Topal and Princely and I found Mathiisen to be on the harder side. It's as big as the Chateau, but with a garden that is more stretched (surrounding the house) and therefore consumes more items AND a lower item limit (600 with ESO+). But the view from it's walls over the town of Mathiisen is the most amazing of all houses, specially during twilight.
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the middle sized ones with garden space... its easier to figure out what to do with it.
    Ravenhurst
    Sleek Creek
    Ald Velothi
    Mistveil
    Domus Phrasticus
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • Bubwall
    Bubwall
    Soul Shriven
    I see.

Which furnished manor is the best to get? Like what are the pros and cons of each good manor?
  • PrayingSeraph
    PrayingSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's incredibly subjective. Go with what style suits you best. Several manors were limited time, and among themwas Pariah's Pinnacle, located on a mountain side in beautiful Wrothgar. The water was crystal blue. It had two amazing views overlooking Wrothgar on one side and the Wrothgarian mountains on the other. It had fantastic snow drift animations and has a grand stone hall. It reminds me a lot of the Lonely Mountain in LoTR.

• Bubwall
    Bubwall
    Soul Shriven
    ALRIGHT! after a long time of thinking I’m stuck between buying BOTH Daggerfall Overlook and Mournoth Keep, OR Earthtear Cavern
    (DO comes with mournoth so its 2v1 but earthtear looks really nice)

Please help me choose between the two options
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on your taste, Amaya lake lodge is my favorite due to nostalgic purposes for example
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Earthtear is an amazingly unique space. It feels different than anywhere else in the game, so returning there feels like you really have a secret hideout befitting a master warrior. Daggerfall Overlook is like every Breton place in the game.

If it were me and I were choosing, I’d go Earthtear knowing that there are a ton of medium sized Breton /redguard places so that you can have your cave and a keep style place.

But I like the more open places. I got the island for that reason, and I’m probably going to grab the cove. I don’t like decorating generic interior spaces so much as building big, cool things in unique zones.
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Manors are all about taste.

if you are boring and like to dwell in family basement irl and in game, daggerfall castle is right place for you.
    If you are edgelord and love lava, Ebonheart mansion is what you need.
    If you like to have stables larger than actual house + waterfall, go AD manor and you will not be disappointed.
    If you hate everything go Coldharbour "mansion"
    If you want dungeon and only one room, Falkreath is great.
    If you want cave with a view and have 200 euros to burn, go for craglorn cave manor
    If you like to live in intestines far from everyone, go buy mushroom tower in Vvardenfell.
    If you like to have huge white rectangle with potential to become either filled with several mazes or fountains or even both, go Goldcoast mansion.
    If you like to be barbie girl in a redguard world, buy princess dawnlight or whatever one.
  • Luthivar
    Luthivar
    ✭✭✭
    If you like caves, I'd suggest to wait for summerset. Will give you a third option; a cave with a ship in it (actually 2.5; a sunken and a another one that's broken in the middle like the Titanic), a Waterfall, altmer ruins on a green Mountain and a large white beach with coral formations (not so on the realistic side as corals grow underwater).
  • Bubwall
    Bubwall
    Soul Shriven
    The reason I chose either earthtear or daggerfall + mournoth is because I do not like the elven style homes, this includes dunmer, bosmer, and altmer. And I want something big that gives me the feeling of a castle but DO is pretty small interior (compared to other manors)
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enslaved wrote: »
    Manors are all about taste.

if you are boring and like to dwell in family basement irl and in game, daggerfall castle is right place for you.
    If you are edgelord and love lava, Ebonheart mansion is what you need.
    If you like to have stables larger than actual house + waterfall, go AD manor and you will not be disappointed.
    If you hate everything go Coldharbour "mansion"
    If you want dungeon and only one room, Falkreath is great.
    If you want cave with a view and have 200 euros to burn, go for craglorn cave manor
    If you like to live in intestines far from everyone, go buy mushroom tower in Vvardenfell.
    If you like to have huge white rectangle with potential to become either filled with several mazes or fountains or even both, go Goldcoast mansion.
    If you like to be barbie girl in a redguard world, buy princess dawnlight or whatever one.

This made me giggle harder than it should have.
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

GL of Hearthlight - a NA/PC Housing guild. PM for details/invite!

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • Bubwall
    Bubwall
    Soul Shriven
    I’ve corrected the question to be more specific now :smiley:
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are we talking currently available or ever available? Because that snowy Orc keep in Wrothgar... oh baby.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Bubwall
    Bubwall
    Soul Shriven
    Currently, and also my main choices are DO + Moutnoth OR Earthtear
    Marginis wrote: »
    Are we talking currently available or ever available? Because that snowy Orc keep in Wrothgar... oh baby.

• RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mournoth Keep in Bangkoria is pretty good for the price in gold nice big external area and the interior is pretty big with a second floor to boot its probably the best bang for your buck.
    The Lichal Grand Manor is my favorite tho I don't own it but its awesome
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bubwall wrote: »

For my part (and this is just my part, it's all just opinion after all), Mournoth Keep is a little too small and homey to be a great castle-like manor. I use it as my Orc's home, and it basically is just big enough for a small dueling arena, a bedroom, and a bar downstairs. Obviously this isn't all that you can do with it, or what you have to do with it, but I find that the space isn't enough for something more intensive.

Earthtear Cavern is great. I personally love it, and would make it the guildhall for my guild - it was at one point, even - but for the lack of structure. What with the furnishing limit, and the great openness of the space, along with the severe lack of structural furnishings like walls and floors (although there are some coming). I'm also not sure it goes with the theme of "castle" or "manor" so much as forsaken ruins. It's more ancient, even foreboding, than regal and formidable.

Daggerfall Outlook is probably the best option of the three you listed, as far as I think. It is a grand castle, has a great courtyard, is a notable home but doesn't have huge open spaces to deal with filling (so furnishing limits are less of an issue), and has a relatively neutral appearance, so can work with many different themes. The one issue I had with this when I was considering it as a guildhall (or just as buying the home in general) is that the interior was not to my liking. There wasn't really room, for example, for a great hall area with a giant long table for gatherings and such. However, if you can work within that interior space, it's a great choice.

Another one to consider would be the Forsaken Stronghold. It's not a notable home, so you'll have a little bit smaller furnishing limit, but in return, it's also a bit cheaper. It still has the Orc theme that Mournoth Keep does, so it looks strong and impressive with that amazing stone architecture. It's also a larger space, despite not being a notable home, so there's plenty of space for whatever you need.

If you prefer, Hunding's Palatial Hall is very luxurious, which, again, despite not being a notable home, has plenty of space. I mean, it comes with its own island. It has a much more eastern theme, and summery atmosphere, so I'm not sure that would fit the bill of what you're looking for, but it's definitely a great regal palace, and has a lot of interesting spaces to mess around with - a pool, a stable, a beach, and even a few areas that aren't immediately apparent.

Again, if the stone castle theme isn't as important, and notable is not necessary, Mathiisen Manor is a good choice. A little bit smaller, and on the less intimidating side, but it has a very classic appeal, feeling almost a bit Imperial themed, despite being clearly the work of Altmer. It has the same layout as a traditional guildhall, and a courtyard that wraps around the main building, with a pool in the back.

Strident Springs Demesne is only available if you have the Imperial Edition Upgrade, but it has arguably my favorite exterior in the game. It has a waterfall and pond (yes), a tower (double yes), and it goes all the way around the building. I've seen SO many good things come from this place, the best thing you can do is google custom homes made here. My one main issue is that the inside is a bit cramped, but with the proper furnishings you can really make something interesting out of it.

The only other one I'd look at that isn't a limited time offer is the notable home Ebonheart Chateau. It has a Dunmer theme and is right under a volcano, so the ashy air will always make the place a bit dark and foreboding, but if you don't mind that, it has the same practical potential as Daggerfall Outlook, with in my opinion a much nicer and more workable interior, and a slightly nicer layout. You can also have some fun with placing different furnishings all the way up on the volcano, between the lava flows, for a really cool look, like my storm senche in mine, overlooking the courtyard.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • strangeradnd
    strangeradnd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I like Mathiisen best as far as big houses go. The yard is huge, the pool and surrounded back yard are unique and it has an awesome view from the balconies. Beyond this I find it to be the easiest of the large houses to light in an acceptable manner. Most homes always seem dark but the whiter walls inside seem to reflect light better than the others in its class.
  • Bubwall
    Bubwall
    Soul Shriven

For my part (and this is just my part, it's all just opinion after all), Mournoth Keep is a little too small and homey to be a great castle-like manor. I use it as my Orc's home, and it basically is just big enough for a small dueling arena, a bedroom, and a bar downstairs. Obviously this isn't all that you can do with it, or what you have to do with it, but I find that the space isn't enough for something more intensive.

Earthtear Cavern is great. I personally love it, and would make it the guildhall for my guild - it was at one point, even - but for the lack of structure. What with the furnishing limit, and the great openness of the space, along with the severe lack of structural furnishings like walls and floors (although there are some coming). I'm also not sure it goes with the theme of "castle" or "manor" so much as forsaken ruins. It's more ancient, even foreboding, than regal and formidable.

Daggerfall Outlook is probably the best option of the three you listed, as far as I think. It is a grand castle, has a great courtyard, is a notable home but doesn't have huge open spaces to deal with filling (so furnishing limits are less of an issue), and has a relatively neutral appearance, so can work with many different themes. The one issue I had with this when I was considering it as a guildhall (or just as buying the home in general) is that the interior was not to my liking. There wasn't really room, for example, for a great hall area with a giant long table for gatherings and such. However, if you can work within that interior space, it's a great choice.

Another one to consider would be the Forsaken Stronghold. It's not a notable home, so you'll have a little bit smaller furnishing limit, but in return, it's also a bit cheaper. It still has the Orc theme that Mournoth Keep does, so it looks strong and impressive with that amazing stone architecture. It's also a larger space, despite not being a notable home, so there's plenty of space for whatever you need.

If you prefer, Hunding's Palatial Hall is very luxurious, which, again, despite not being a notable home, has plenty of space. I mean, it comes with its own island. It has a much more eastern theme, and summery atmosphere, so I'm not sure that would fit the bill of what you're looking for, but it's definitely a great regal palace, and has a lot of interesting spaces to mess around with - a pool, a stable, a beach, and even a few areas that aren't immediately apparent.

Again, if the stone castle theme isn't as important, and notable is not necessary, Mathiisen Manor is a good choice. A little bit smaller, and on the less intimidating side, but it has a very classic appeal, feeling almost a bit Imperial themed, despite being clearly the work of Altmer. It has the same layout as a traditional guildhall, and a courtyard that wraps around the main building, with a pool in the back.

Strident Springs Demesne is only available if you have the Imperial Edition Upgrade, but it has arguably my favorite exterior in the game. It has a waterfall and pond (yes), a tower (double yes), and it goes all the way around the building. I've seen SO many good things come from this place, the best thing you can do is google custom homes made here. My one main issue is that the inside is a bit cramped, but with the proper furnishings you can really make something interesting out of it.

The only other one I'd look at that isn't a limited time offer is the notable home Ebonheart Chateau. It has a Dunmer theme and is right under a volcano, so the ashy air will always make the place a bit dark and foreboding, but if you don't mind that, it has the same practical potential as Daggerfall Outlook, with in my opinion a much nicer and more workable interior, and a slightly nicer layout. You can also have some fun with placing different furnishings all the way up on the volcano, between the lava flows, for a really cool look, like my storm senche in mine, overlooking the courtyard.

Thanks mate. the thing with daggerfall tho is that the interior space is pretty small so what would you decide if you wanted a huge interior space but you also want a castle like thing and with a big green courtyard (yeah i know, i sound very picky but zos just adds flaws to their homes to make us buy multiple at a time )?

(By the way I’m not really into the mer types)
  • Woefulmonkey
    Woefulmonkey
    ✭✭✭
    Don't rush into buying an 'expensive' house for what is basically 100$ just for the sake of buying a house.

Make sure you understand that in game housing basically has no 'practical' in game value... other than the following.

1. ) DPS dummies ... cost about 3K crowns or you need a very high level crafter who has done many master writs and then they cost lots of in game gold to make.... but they do give you a DPS read out to help you analyze you attack patterns.
    2. ) Storage boxes just introduced... 2K crowns for 60 slot box 1K crowns for 30 slot box... they basically can take the place of 1 mule character and are definitely valuable if you do crafting and want to keep you 'training' or 'dungeon acquired' sets in a safe place where you won't accidentally 'deconstruct' them. Boxes also require less load screens to transfer items between characters.
    3. ) They are 'Free' waypoints... meaning you can travel to them for free from anywhere... I would highly recommend you at least get the 3 free houses you get at low levels for each 'Faction'... that will give you 3 waypoint you can always travel to and access to parts of the map that take time to get to when you did not start in that faction.

Other than that houses are just 'Doll Houses' you can decorate.... I say that but I had fun for about an hour or 2 decorating my house... just not 100$ of fun. Soooo pick the 'Doll House' that has the style you like and is affordable to you.

Houses are not good for hanging out between random daily dungeons because you can't repair your items there. You can get a bank and a merchant set up but that will cost you another 100$ in crowns

If you have to choose between buying a house and buying personal bank and merchant 'henchmen' I would get them first.

Houses are also not good for crafting daily writs, since you cannot start or end your crafting quest from there and you can't travel for free to other waypoints from there (but you can travel for free to other houses).

Additionally because houses are 'instanced' so the load times for entering and leaving your home are longer that other in game waypoint traveling. So if you plan on buying Crafting stations (at $30 in crowns a pop) make sure you understand they are basically just expensive decorations for your house.

Personally I don't totally regret buying my house... I just wish I had bought a slightly smaller one that was less than half the price.

So, before buying any home I would recommend getting a banker and merchant 'henchmen' and then buying some of the very cheap or free small homes to see how much you enjoy decorating.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks mate. the thing with daggerfall tho is that the interior space is pretty small so what would you decide if you wanted a huge interior space but you also want a castle like thing and with a big green courtyard (yeah i know, i sound very picky but zos just adds flaws to their homes to make us buy multiple at a time )?

(By the way I’m not really into the mer types)

Out of those options, Daggerfall Overlook is probably your best bet, and you can just deal with the interior. Otherwise, you're compromising on another aspect.

I did not mention three others (all notable) that might work though so I'll do that now.

The new Colassal Aldmeri Grotto, despite its name, doesn't really have an elven theme. It has some more new looking ruins for a bit of that castle-like vibe, and a large space with multiple ships (if you like boats), but with that large space can come with the same issues Earthtear has. This house is not out yet last I checked but it's on PTS and should come soon.

Hakkvild's High Hall has a Nordic motif, so be aware of that, and a primary feature is its tunnel system, so I'm not sure how much it fits your theme, but if you can accept that, its main building is excellent for a great hall and the exterior has plenty of space you can utilize, and some ruins just begging to be made into a dueling arena. I think this one is still available but I always forget if it was limited time or not.

The house that I think would be absolutely perfect for you though - the snowy Orc one - is called Pariah's Pinnacle. It has an Orc motif, just like both Earthtear Cavern and Mournoth Keep, is a notable home, has a very grand great hall. As long as the snow is okay by you, I think this is the best choice. It is however a limited time house, and not available through the crown store anymore. Despite this, I have heard of players who have contacted support and been told they can still get some houses even though they aren't available anymore. You might be able to try this if you like Pariah's Pinnacle, just no guarantees.
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know this is based on opinions but I would really like to know which manor is the best?

DAGGERFALL OUTLOOKS + MOURNOTH KEEP (thats two) OR EARTHTEAR CAVERN?
    I WANT SOMETHING THATS REALLY BIG LIKE EARTHTEAR BUT AT THE SAME TIME I WANT A CASTLE FEELING (big interior as well as outdoor space)

(Still accepting more answers)

Mouroth is about a 3rd of the cost. And it's nice. My friend just bought it this week for his guildhall. Btw, as far as guildhalls go, we really need a proper fucntion for it. Like the ability to set a home as an official guildhall, have an option around about where [Roster] is to teleport there and even a map marker.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5162031#Comment_5162031
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 'best house to get' is the one you like the most!
  • Oberick
    Oberick
    ✭✭✭
    I love Earthtear but there are a lot of invisible walls that make me kinda regret purchasing it. Pariah Pinnacle and the other newer houses seem to have a lot fewer invisible walls restricting building. So If you really want a cave I'd wait for the new summerset one coming out that has a ship in it.

That said if you have to get one this second I would suggest getting the Daggerfall Outlook + Mournoth Keep combo. You get two places and can use one to experiment with designs you like.
  • Cortanacamo
    Cortanacamo
    ✭✭✭
    I like the ones in Vvardenfell, Amaya Lake lodge is my favourite though :)
    Earthtear has a lot of room if you'd like to add crafting tables (in the exterior part) and plenty of indoor room for a homey-like decoration.
    Daggerfall is good if you want to display all of your dungeon trophies (lower floor). More interior space than exterior though.
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mournoth Keep is cheaper than other castles, yet it offers A LOT of potential. So it is the best house for its cost, be it crowns or gold.

I own it, and it will be a long time until I will settle to a new larger house, because I like to decorate my house the way I like it, to be close to how I would like it to really live there.

The courtyard is large, it goes around the house, you have places that can be reached if you place planks, the interior is fairly large with two levels, outside you have room to place crafting stations, stable, garden, whatever you like.

I am not a big fan of the orcish furniture because I don't play orc chars, but it is OK, it is not dark as the dunmer houses, the setting looks like a castle, so it might fit your needs.

Daggerfall castle is great, but what I don't like about it is how it has lots of unreachable places, and how the inside layout is simpler than how you would imagine from outside.
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter