Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The Most Efficent Way Alchemy Discovery and Leveling

• Royal_Kitsune
    Royal_Kitsune
    ✭✭✭
    nimo70 wrote: »
    Thanks for the guide Royal_Kitsune. Think I did everything in the first 2 lists in post #2 (not in order, I'd done some before finding the list), but had to do three more to complete:

Dragonthorn & Torchbug Thorax
    Lady's Smock & Beetle Scuttle
    Torchbug Thorax & Imp Stool

i do think this might be because the order is important on this one due to most combines trying for at least two traits learned where i can but if someone else has this issue please let me know so i can fix!
  • seveneighttwoub17_ESO
    Thank you for posting this guide. I've found myself having just over half of the various plants 'researched'/discovered and was becoming frustrated finding the rest without wasting materials trying random combines. Found this today by accident while killing time during server maint. Now I can't wait to get back in there and get to work! :smile:

I found other guides online, but to be honest, to my noobie eyeballs it all looked like a language I never learned and made no sense to me. This guide is clear and easily followed. *hugs*
    Edited by seveneighttwoub17_ESO on December 12, 2016 4:42PM
  • Royal_Kitsune
    Royal_Kitsune
    ✭✭✭
    ty let me know it you have any problems :)
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome, this is much easier to access as well than the other site I use.
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
  • Royal_Kitsune
    Royal_Kitsune
    ✭✭✭
    Good to hear glad it helped :)
  • Royal_Kitsune
    Royal_Kitsune
    ✭✭✭
    So I have tomorrow off... any requests for additions? Maybe Some of my preferred Combinations for Crafting Potions/Poisons?
  • NinthPrince64
    NinthPrince64
    ✭✭✭
    So I have tomorrow off... any requests for additions? Maybe Some of my preferred Combinations for Crafting Potions/Poisons?

Maybe something along the lines of a planning guide? Not exactly sure what I mean by that, but something to help a new player (or new to crafting) think about how alchemy fits into the overall character/account lifecycle and the kinds of things they should be doing as a result. Kind of like a financial planner irl, but not really, I guess. Sorry, the thought is not fully formed in my head, but maybe you can see what I am getting at.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Maybe something along the lines of a planning guide? Not exactly sure what I mean by that, but something to help a new player (or new to crafting) think about how alchemy fits into the overall character/account lifecycle and the kinds of things they should be doing as a result. Kind of like a financial planner irl, but not really, I guess. Sorry, the thought is not fully formed in my head, but maybe you can see what I am getting at.

This is already in the thread. You'll need 4 skill points, few more if you want useful passives. You need a good supply of solvents for each level, up to around 75 at level 40....don't forget that poisons work too. You need the flowers listed above.

I use an app called Workbench (iphone, not sure of android version). It has a feature called Discover Traits. I start at the top of the list, discover each trait using multiple trait matches when available. You get both alchemy discovery achievements well before hitting the bottom of the list. Just remember to add a skill point at each 10th level and switch to that level solvent. You won't be level 50 after getting the achievements, but then you can look at which ingredients you have which are both plentiful and least useful, and mass produce those to hit level 50. I don't try to make useful pots, just level alchemy, so I vendor everything after I'm done. Start to finish is 30-45 minutes.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Royal_Kitsune
    Royal_Kitsune
    ✭✭✭
    @NinthPrince64 What @Ourorboros said is what i think you are looking for? (if not let me know and will try to help) he has just putr it into slightly more.... concise form lol
  • NinthPrince64
    NinthPrince64
    ✭✭✭
    @NinthPrince64 What @Ourorboros said is what i think you are looking for? (if not let me know and will try to help) he has just putr it into slightly more.... concise form lol

It isn't, but it occurs to me that what I was asking for would probably be more appropriately addressed in a different thread. This thread is about efficiently learning all the combinations. I was more interested in what you do once you have learned everything. In other words, how to proceed from that point in such a way that works best for your character(s). Put in slightly different terms, are there things that you know today, given your experience in alchemy, that you wish you had known back when you first learned all the traits?
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It isn't, but it occurs to me that what I was asking for would probably be more appropriately addressed in a different thread. This thread is about efficiently learning all the combinations. I was more interested in what you do once you have learned everything. In other words, how to proceed from that point in such a way that works best for your character(s). Put in slightly different terms, are there things that you know today, given your experience in alchemy, that you wish you had known back when you first learned all the traits?

I would only add that there is no rush to learn alchemy. I only make and use pots for PVP, Trials, and Dungeons. All the harder end game content, in other words. For everything else, the dropped potions do fine. That saves me crafting time and a lot of money. However, even putting off alchemy until level 50, be sure to collect alchemy solvents for each level, as it is much harder to go back and collect these once you hit champion level. Also, pick every flower you see, including the ones others seem to leave behind. The unwanted ones are perfect for training the skill, as the potions made don't need to be useful. If space is an issue ( it will be if you don't have craft bag), create an alt to store mats until you are ready to use them. Delaying alchemy allows you to wait until you have plenty of skill points. Early in the game, I suggest putting one point into Keen Eye, as this helps tremendously in gathering mats. If you dedicate a lot of time to farming mats, alchemy can be a good gold source. You will eventually want to max all passives except Snakeblood, which never been useful even when it worked. I do level alchemy to 50 on each character, for the passives which extend potion time. Hope this helps.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • GaldorP
    GaldorP
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I may suggest another way to unlock all the traits as quickly as possible, using 3 materials in as many crafts as possible.
    I'm not saying that this is mathematically the best way to do it. There may be a way to do it in fewer crafts, but this is the best I could come up with and it's what I would use now to unlock all alchemy traits on an alt in preparation for Master Writs in Update 13 :)

1) On a character with Alchemy rank 1, first craft potions or poisons with any combination of 2 cheap reagent materials that have at least 1 trait in common until you reach rank 15 in the Alchemy skill line (I used Fleshfly Larva + Imp Stool ‘cause those had the lowest prices in guild stores and I had plenty of both materials).

2) Invest one skill point in Solvent Proficiency once you reach rank 10 if you want to create lv 20 potions or poisons instead of lv 10 ones, for slightly more XP per craft.

3) Once you have reached Alchemy rank 15, learn Laboratory Use so you can craft potions and poisons with 3 reagent materials. Then, create potions or poisons with the following materials:
    1. Beetle Scuttle + Butterfly Wing + Nirnroot
    2. Beetle Scuttle + Lady’s Smock + Violet Coprinus
    3. Beetle Scuttle + Mudcrab Chitin
    4. Blessed Thistle + Dragonthorn + Nightshade
    5. Blessed Thistle + Namira’s Rot + Scrib Jelly
    6. Blessed Thistle + Nirnroot + Stinkhorn
    7. Blue Entoloma + Bugloss + White Cap
    8. Blue Entoloma + Emetic Russula + Nirnroot
    9. Bugloss + Columbine + Mountain Flower
    10. Butterfly Wing + Luminous Russula + Water Hyacinth
    11. Butterfly Wing + Scrib Jelly + Spider Egg
    12. Columbine + Namira’s Rot + Wormwood
    13. Corn Flower + Lady’s Smock + Wormwood
    14. Corn Flower + Violet Coprinus
    15. Dragonthorn + Stinkhorn + Torchbug Thorax
    16. Dragonthorn + Water Hyacinth + Wormwood
    17. Emetic Russula + Imp Stool + Stinkhorn
    18. Emetic Russula + Scrib Jelly + Water Hyacinth
    19. Fleshfly Larva + Luminous Russula + Nightshade
    20. Fleshfly Larva + Scrib Jelly + Torchbug Thorax
    21. Imp Stool + Luminous Russula + Mountain Flower
    22. Imp Stool + Nirnroot + Torchbug Thorax
    23. Lady’s Smock + Namira’s Rot + Water Hyacinth
    24. Luminous Russula + Spider Egg + Wormwood
    25. Mudcrab Chitin + Nightshade + White Cap
    26. Mudcrab Chitin + Namira’s Rot + Spider Egg
    27. Torchbug Thorax + Violet Coprinus + White Cap
    These 27 crafts should unlock all Alchemy traits for your character granting them the best chance to obtain Alchemy Master Writs once they have reached Alchemy rank 50.

Required Materials for those 27 crafts:
    • 27 solvent materials your character can use
    • Beetle Scuttle (3)
    • Blessed Thistle (3)
    • Blue Entoloma (2)
    • Bugloss (2)
    • Butterfly Wing (3)
    • Columbine (2)
    • Corn Flower (2)
    • Dragonthorn (3)
    • Emetic Russula (3)
    • Fleshfly Larva (2)
    • Imp Stool (3)
    • Lady's Smock (3)
    • Luminous Russula (4)
    • Mountain Flower (2)
    • Mudcrab Chitin (3)
    • Namira's Rot (4)
    • Nightshade (3)
    • Nirnroot (4)
    • Scrib Jelly (4)
    • Spider Egg (3)
    • Stinkhorn (3)
    • Torchbug Thorax (4)
    • Violet Coprinus (3)
    • Water Hyacinth (4)
    • White Cap (3)
    • Wormwood (4)

I've also made a quick list of all the traits that got renamed in Update 13 on the PTS:
    • Breach < Lower Spell Resist
    • Cowardice < Lower Spell Power
    • Enervation < Lower Weapon Crit
    • Entrapment < Stun
    • Fracture < Lower Physical Resistance
    • Gradual Ravage Health < Creeping Ravage Health
    • Hindrance < Reduce Speed
    • Lingering Health < Sustained Restore Health
    • Maim < Lower Weapon Power
    • Uncertainty < Lower Spell Crit
    Edited by GaldorP on December 15, 2017 9:22PM
  • Royal_Kitsune
    Royal_Kitsune
    ✭✭✭
    GaldorP wrote: »
    If I may suggest another way to unlock all the traits as quickly as possible, using 3 materials in as many crafts as possible.
    I'm not saying that this is mathematically the best way to do it. There may be a way to do it in fewer crafts, but this is the best I could come up with and it's what I would use now to unlock all alchemy traits on an alt in preparation for Master Writs in Update 13 :)

1) On a character with Alchemy rank 1, first craft potions or poisons with any combination of 2 cheap reagent materials that have at least 1 trait in common until you reach rank 15 in the Alchemy skill line (I used Fleshfly Larva + Imp Stool ‘cause those had the lowest prices in guild stores and I had plenty of both materials).

2) Invest one skill point in Solvent Proficiency once you reach rank 10 if you want to create lv 20 potions or poisons instead of lv 10 ones, for slightly more XP per craft.

3) Once you have reached Alchemy rank 15, learn Laboratory Use so you can craft potions and poisons with 3 reagent materials. Then, create potions or poisons with the following materials:
    21. Imp Stool + Nirnroot + Torchbug Thorax
    22. Imp Stool + Luminous Russula + Mountain Flower
    These 27 crafts should unlock all Alchemy traits for your character granting them the best chance to obtain Alchemy Master Writs once they have reached Alchemy rank 50.

• Beetle Scuttle (3)
    • Blessed Thistle (3)
    • Blue Entoloma (2)
    • Bugloss (2)
    • Butterfly Wing (3)
    • Columbine (2)
    • Corn Flower (2)
    • Dragonthorn (3)
    • Emetic Russula (3)
    • Fleshfly Larva (2)
    • Imp Stool (3)
    • Lady's Smock (3)
    • Luminous Russula (4)
    • Mountain Flower (2)
    • Mudcrab Chitin (3)
    • Namira's Rot (4)
    • Nightshade (3)
    • Nirnroot (4)
    • Scrib Jelly (4)
    • Spider Egg (3)
    • Stinkhorn (3)
    • Torchbug Thorax (4)
    • Violet Coprinus (3)
    • Water Hyacinth (4)
    • White Cap (3)
    • Wormwood (4)

I've also made a quick list of all the traits that got renamed in Update 13 on the PTS:
    • Entrapment < Stun

I do agree with this. However i base the assumption that someone that is doing this on a combat alt. hence they usually don't have the ability or the spare skill points to invest.

However you are in fact correct that if they have the time and the money to invest to use trash mats your method would in fact likely lvl them faster as long as they are discovering traits on every craft. However please note that using 3 mats after this is useless for lvling as a three reagent and a two reagent potion when crafted gives the same EXP.
  • Royal_Kitsune
    Royal_Kitsune
    ✭✭✭
    So... anyone want me to make a list of some of my more favored combines for PVP/PVE pots? Or/and other requests?
  • Royal_Kitsune
    Royal_Kitsune
    ✭✭✭
    So since no one needs anything added to this forum post apperently.... any requests for what to do next?
  • Gorilla
    Gorilla
    ✭✭✭
    Bask in its glory?
  • calia1120
    calia1120
    ✭✭✭
    I put something similar together for the Dark Brotherhood release - http://tiny.cc/ESOPoisonCrafting - it went along with an article I had done on Tamriel Foundry. The poison list isn't quite current since I got busy with addons and other stuff.
    Edited by calia1120 on February 28, 2017 9:04PM
    GM, Iron Bank of Bravos | The Psijic Order | Mara's Tester/Mara's Moxie | Dominion Imperial Guard
    Council of Nirn | elderscrollsalliance.com | Addon Dev - part of the Wykkyd code team
  • Royal_Kitsune
    Royal_Kitsune
    ✭✭✭
    interesting i will add that to the top post :)
  • Royal_Kitsune
    Royal_Kitsune
    ✭✭✭
    I am Sad to announce i will likely not be playing ESO any farther so this will be my last post on this thread if soemone wishes to keep it updated or to use the information therein please do so and please give credit when it is due for the others that have helped with the post :)
  • BurningLance
    BurningLance
    ✭✭
    epic it helped my Argonian to max out another crafting skill line for writs and of course potions/poisons.

gotta bookmark this thread lol
    Go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb!

PSN:BurningLance_2
  • drakhan2002_ESO
    drakhan2002_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So... anyone want me to make a list of some of my more favored combines for PVP/PVE pots? Or/and other requests?

Potion of Weapon Power
    - Blessed Thisle, Dragonthorne, Water Hyacinth
    - Major brutality (weapon damage), major savagery (weapon crit), restore stamina

Solution of Health
    - Mountain flower, Columbine, Bugloss
    - Restore health and recovery, restore magikca and recovery, restore stamina and recovery

Potion of Weapon Crit
    - Mountain flower, Dragonthorne, Water Hyacinth
    - Major savagery (weapon crit), restore health, restore stamina
  • MajorHow
    MajorHow
    Soul Shriven
    This is very useful especially in getting the achievement for a completionist like me. Thanks alot !
  • MalsvirIxen
    Will this level Alchemy to 50?
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will this level Alchemy to 50?

No, this is about learning what all the different reagents (ingredients) do.
    Edited by TheRealPotoroo on May 6, 2018 4:36PM
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • ericprydz82ub17_ESO
    GaldorP wrote: »

21. Imp Stool + Luminous Russula + Mountain Flower
    22. Imp Stool + Nirnroot + Torchbug Thorax

• Beetle Scuttle (3)
    • Blessed Thistle (3)
    • Blue Entoloma (2)
    • Bugloss (2)
    • Butterfly Wing (3)
    • Columbine (2)
    • Corn Flower (2)
    • Dragonthorn (3)
    • Emetic Russula (3)
    • Fleshfly Larva (2)
    • Imp Stool (3)
    • Lady's Smock (3)
    • Luminous Russula (4)
    • Mountain Flower (2)
    • Mudcrab Chitin (3)
    • Namira's Rot (4)
    • Nightshade (3)
    • Nirnroot (4)
    • Scrib Jelly (4)
    • Spider Egg (3)
    • Stinkhorn (3)
    • Torchbug Thorax (4)
    • Violet Coprinus (3)
    • Water Hyacinth (4)
    • White Cap (3)
    • Wormwood (4)

• Entrapment < Stun

I would just like to add that I did all of this for each of my new characters I've made and favorited/always used this guide as reference since it the only one that is complete and up to date out of all the guides that I can find for unlocking all traits.

I would highly suggest making stam dps pots or caster dps pots or maybe run speed/unstoppable pots to just level up after that since you can still use those for dungeons or more like short burst windows in PVP in either Cyrodiil or Battlegrounds and still get tons of use out of your non-maxed out pots. I for one had well over 1k each of Blessed Thistle/Dragonthorn/Wormwood since I don't PVE on any stamina class since a few patches ago. Since I do lots of Battlegrounds with a Stam Warden, I'll just give him the lower leveled pots I made to better our win/loss ratio without breaking the bank.
    -Pryda - Ebonheart Pact XB1 NA
    World first HelRa Hardmode player.
    GT: Bootleg Mix
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone found out what Clam Gall is good for?
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TheRealPotoroo
    Clam Gall: Increase Spell Resistance, Hindrance, Vulnerability, Defile

Other reagents (including powdered mother of pearl) also described in Sunshine Daydream's Guide to Alchemy
    Edited by Tevalaur on June 3, 2018 8:14PM
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Royal_Kitsune
    Royal_Kitsune
    ✭✭✭
    Having just started playing again after getting a new job and having the time to do so I am glad to see this forum still around and apparently, still being helpful!

But I think i might have went into a slight shock when i saw the amount of views on this forum!
    (a little over 244k at time of writing)

I never expected to see this tread reach that many views!

So ESO Community Keep being awesome!

Thank you for the people that have been posting since I went inactive, and helping the people that had questions!
  • kw91_ESO
    kw91_ESO
    ✭✭
    Excellent guide! Thank you!
  • TheGreatBlackBear
    TheGreatBlackBear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good stuff. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.