The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New Playable Race and Varieties

Zachary_Shadow
Zachary_Shadow
✭✭✭
With the addition of a new Chapter, we have seen how more and more chapters will work. Each new chapter will come with a new system, like how Morrowind released the Warden and Battlegrounds, while Summerset released Jewelry Crafting.

For a future chapter, would you like to see a new race added? Of course, this wouldn't replace a full-board system that we would expect from chapters, but it could be a nice addition to the game. It would definitely incentive me to purchase the chapter, like how jewelry crafting made me want to buy Summerset. Before everyone riots and says, "#NotMyElderScrolls", the Imperial race was added back with the original Morrowind, so it's not unheard of. Even then, ESO has already done some things that other Elder Scrolls games have never done, such as being able to join the Psijic Order and traveling to Artaeum. Plus, the addition of a new race, such as the Maormer (I'm only suggesting them because we have seen so much of them, especially in Summerset), would really bring in more lore, builds, and more options to the expanding MMO.

Also, with the talk of Murkmire possibly coming soon, I was also thinking about the different varieties of the beast races. It's said in Elder Scrolls lore that there are different sub-species within Argonians and Khajits. If Murkmire would be added, would you also like to see the different sub-species added to the game? It would make sense with Argonians. Instead of picking a race from the race menu, there would be a new button added once you choose the Argonian race at the top that have the different varieties. Maybe they add different passives, maybe they only change the look of your race, etc.

I think it would be a welcome change and would really expand upon the variety of options we have in ESO. I personally would love to see the Maormer added as a playable race, especially after a certain quest in Summerset. Would you like to see a race added to ESO? Maybe it would later come into future games as well?

Please leave your reasoning why you would or would not want a new race/new varieties added to the game.

New Playable Race and Varieties 109 votes

Yes, I would like a new playable race added to ESO.
31%
ixiekmufc77b16_ESODhariusNifty2grunagateEvilKiwiMrCray78ThePlayerTheShadowScoutpandoraderomanusBlutengelbinhoAliyavanaLindsC VoodooPlatypusralphylaurenAnkael07DiggitydugForsakenSinOdnoc 34 votes
No, I would not like a new playable race added.
30%
TabbycatGreevirRDMyers65b14_ESOkwisatzidkRosveenstarkerealmThaumicIluvrienAarlurS_RavenlockAkrasjelPink_ViolinzRatzkifalGiantFruitFlyRadinynWhite wabbitEvilCrocKawallcrjs1 33 votes
I would like both different varieties of the beast races and a new playable race.
24%
daryl.rasmusenb14_ESOAlienSlofCreepsleyZachary_ShadowEdziuBenjaytrini10Jailbirdyshadowwraith666TheValar85TheBalanceMarabornwingrionPaxDeorumFreqTilitHertzSydneyGreyAlienatedGoatCheetac19KharretflamesingGaunterODimWildberryjack 27 votes
I don't want either a new playable race nor different varieties.
10%
DaraughRawkanHvzedaShadow-FighterSkillzMFGFischblutVietfoxJobooAGSblack_celebrationRedRookKitsue117 11 votes
Other
3%
MartoTyhargeonsocaljssriot 4 votes
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We currently have all the playable races as it is. Further, adding another race does not mean dimension is added to the game.
  • Zachary_Shadow
    Zachary_Shadow
    ✭✭✭
    I would like both different varieties of the beast races and a new playable race.
    idk wrote: »
    We currently have all the playable races as it is. Further, adding another race does not mean dimension is added to the game.

The number of playable races can change, however. Again, the Imperial race wasn't added until the orginal Morrowind* (edit because I wasn't clear that I was talking about the original Morrowind single-player game), so it's definitely not impossible to add a new race, especially with how much lore we have been given on the many races on Nirn since ESO has been released.
    Edited by Zachary_Shadow on June 1, 2018 1:04AM
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I'd like to see a new weapon skill line added...

I haven't really given much thought to it - but, a spear or halberd would be okay...

kinda neat how you can use a xivkyn or factotum polymorph to make yourself a psijic order xivkyn/factotum now...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • FerrumnCutem
    FerrumnCutem
    ✭✭✭✭
    The number of playable races can change, however. Again, the Imperial race wasn't added until Morrowind, so it's definitely not impossible to add a new race, especially with how much lore we have been given on the many races on Nirn since ESO has been released. [/quote]

Imperial has been available since launch.
    All races are already playable, stuff like Maormer are just different versions of Altmer.
  • Zachary_Shadow
    Zachary_Shadow
    ✭✭✭
    The number of playable races can change, however. Again, the Imperial race wasn't added until Morrowind, so it's definitely not impossible to add a new race, especially with how much lore we have been given on the many races on Nirn since ESO has been released.

Imperial has been available since launch.
    All races are already playable, stuff like Maormer are just different versions of Altmer.

I'm talking about that the Imperial race was added back in the original Morrowind, the single-player game made by BGS back in the 2000s. I apologize, I should have made that clearer. My argument is that there can be more playable races added because previous games in the Elder Scrolls series have done so. Plus, it would make sense for ESO to do so given how much extra lore and even appearances the other races have made in ESO, such as the Sload or the Maormer.
    geonsocal wrote: »
    I'd like to see a new weapon skill line added...

I haven't really given much thought to it - but, a spear or halberd would be okay...

kinda neat how you can use a xivkyn or factotum polymorph to make yourself a psijic order xivkyn/factotum now...

I think this would be an excellent idea as well. A new weapon skill line could have much to offer to the game, plus it would be interesting to see how new builds would be made revolved around the new weapon.
    Edited by Zachary_Shadow on May 31, 2018 10:58PM
  • Anastian
    Anastian
    ✭✭✭
    As long as it's lore friendly, why not? Could be an input for the main installments as well!

I'd prefer a stronger focus on the three banners war tho
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't we tapped out on races? How many more were there
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The number of playable races can change, however. Again, the Imperial race wasn't added until Morrowind, so it's definitely not impossible to add a new race, especially with how much lore we have been given on the many races on Nirn since ESO has been released.

The playable races have been playable in TES for a bit. Further, Imperial was in the game when it launched. No race was added with Morrowind or any other time since the game launched.

Lore wise, the rest of the races are enemies, devolved or exitinct/self imposed exile because they do not want to deal with Tamriel.

There is still no reason to change lore in this area since we have plenty to choose from. Adding it for the heck of it does not add to the game itself. That is basically what you are proposing.
  • TheValar85
    TheValar85
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Teh Imperial race came with the Imperial city mini dlc oh wait nope thats not true. Imperial race was actualy inside the game even when it launched. no one rembers it?

it was a colelctions edition for the base game, if you bought it you had accsess to the imp race.Wait it was Elder scrolls onlien imperial edition? hmm yes, tahts when we got the option to get marry with eachother remebr now? :) and that was waaaaay before morrowind :) it was in 2014. May 20.

I even foudn an unboxing video at the exact same time lol :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrsZ7V2ohSU
    GM Of The Lusty Argonian ERP
    GM Of THe Alessia Dynasty PVP Guild
    GM Of The Guardians Of MiddleEarth
    My Smiling Emperor Profile Picture: https://ibb.co/bsOM6n
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want Maormer or Akaviri. And before someone tries to tell me that the Akaviri are all dead, I have a screenshot that proves they aren't dead. In the Eastmarch quest-line, if you talk to a blonde Nord woman named Lt. Koruni, she says that their queen died in a battle against the Akaviri only 10 years ago. So yeah, they're alive and in great enough numbers that they're doing battle with Eastmarch during the ESO timeline.
    *Goes to look for the screenshot*
    *Finds screenshot*

40675928130_996fde6956_c.jpg
    Edited by SydneyGrey on May 31, 2018 11:57PM
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would've voted for the third option, but I clicked too soon. Anyways, yeah I'd love to see another race like the Maormer added. Like Zachary said ^ the Imperials (and the orcs) were added in the Morrowind video game (not the chapter), so I can see another race being added to an online game such as this fitting in nicely if we ever do go to a place like Pyandonea(for the Maormer).
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, TES games always (almost, I know about Imperials) had such set, so it's a tradition of sort, and traditions are strong. Second, storywise it's hard to integrate such races as Maormers or Akaviri as a player race for several quite obvious reasons. NPCs in the game already have zero reaction on people wearing Black Hand robes, mostly ignore vampires and other pink orcs wearing towels, no need to aggravate the situation.

Though, I endorse the idea regarding subraces. Beast races have at least several described by lore.
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
  • Zachary_Shadow
    Zachary_Shadow
    ✭✭✭

The playable races have been playable in TES for a bit. Further, Imperial was in the game when it launched. No race was added with Morrowind or any other time since the game launched.

Lore wise, the rest of the races are enemies, devolved or exitinct/self imposed exile because they do not want to deal with Tamriel.

There is still no reason to change lore in this area since we have plenty to choose from. Adding it for the heck of it does not add to the game itself. That is basically what you are proposing.

I wasn't clear enough when I said that the Imperial race wasn't added until the ORIGINAL Morrowind, as in the Morrowind made back in the 2000s, my bad for not clarifying further. Again, my argument is that races have been added to previous games further down the line, so it's not unheard of to add more playable races.

Second, although most of the races are depicted as enemies to the Tamrielic races, there's still room to add playable races. The Maormer, for example, are long-time enemies of the Altmer, but there was a quest in the new Summerset chapter where we have the opposite happen. I'm trying my best not to spoil it, but an entire race can't be evil, except for one or two. The only race that I agree are completely evil and are our enemies are the Sload. Every other race are our enemies, but that doesn't mean that every single one of them is evil. This gives room for the players to RP that race.

Lastly, what I'm proposing is adding another race or more varieties to the beast races. This is already in the lore, how is proposing adding a new playable race "changing the lore"? The varieties, for example, have been in the lore forever. there's different "versions" or sub-species of Argonians and Khajits, such as Khajits that resemble tigers and stuff. This has been in the lore and always has been, by adding it, it just gives the players more of a choice. I'm not suggesting adding an extinct race or a completely evil race (Sloads or the Tsacesi), I'm suggesting adding a race that we have seen before, that are currently alive, and that has room for interpretation.
    TheValar85 wrote: »

Teh Imperial race came with the Imperial city mini dlc oh wait nope thats not true. Imperial race was actualy inside the game even when it launched. no one rembers it?

it was a colelctions edition for the base game, if you bought it you had accsess to the imp race.Wait it was Elder scrolls onlien imperial edition? hmm yes, tahts when we got the option to get marry with eachother remebr now? :) and that was waaaaay before morrowind :) it was in 2014. May 20.

I even foudn an unboxing video at the exact same time lol :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrsZ7V2ohSU

Again, I'm sorry for not clarifying and simply saying "Morrowind". I meant the ORIGINAL Morrowind, made back in the 2000s, when I said that Imperials weren't added until Morrowind. I know that the Imperials were available since launch, I bought the Imperial Collector's Edition. I'm sorry for not clarifying and saying the original Morrowind, as in Elder Scrolls 3, not ESO: Morrowind.
  • Blutengel
    Blutengel
    ✭✭✭
    Be really neat to be a sea elf and have some sea pirate content. Just wishful thinking though :x
    Time for reckless audacity and derring-do!~
    Crow-Friend Warden
    Najara the Crusader Templar
    Thomasin the Witch Necro
    R.I.P Vet ranks...
  • Zachary_Shadow
    Zachary_Shadow
    ✭✭✭
    logarifmik wrote: »
    First, TES games always (almost, I know about Imperials) had such set, so it's a tradition of sort, and traditions are strong. Second, storywise it's hard to integrate such races as Maormers or Akaviri as a player race for several quite obvious reasons. NPCs in the game already have zero reaction on people wearing Black Hand robes, mostly ignore vampires and other pink orcs wearing towels, no need to aggravate the situation.

Though, I endorse the idea regarding subraces. Beast races have at least several described by lore.

As a vampire, I've had 3 NPC's with dialogue options that are vampire related. One was in Summerset, the other in the Dark Brotherhood DLC zone and one other somewhere else. I was extremely giddy with this because I want people to recognize my character more often, whether that be from achievements, from my race, etc. I fully understand what you're saying, I'm not saying this wouldn't be a difficult thing to integrate, but it would be really neat. Maybe when talking with high elves from Summerset as a Sea Elf, they make more hurtful comments, maybe they have a dialogue option here and there like with vampires, etc.

As a sub-species of the beast races, maybe there's dialogue options there, maybe other Argonians like/dislike you more depending your subrace as an Argonian, same with Khajits. Again, this is all just proposals and a discussion, but thank you for your feedback.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before everyone riots and says, "#NotMyElderScrolls", the Imperial race was added back with the original Morrowind, so it's not unheard of.
    Indeed, orsimer and Imperials did not become playable races until TES-III:Morrowind. They were antagonist races exclusively in TES:Arena and TES-II:Daggerfall...
    TES:Battlespire even only had six races, leaving out imperials, orcs, khajiit and argonians from the ten we have in ESO...

So, yes. There is ample precedent to something else then "ten races, no more, no less". TES added races to be playable before, so they could choose to do it here in ESO as well...
    Also, with the talk of Murkmire possibly coming soon, I was also thinking about the different varieties of the beast races. It's said in Elder Scrolls lore that there are different sub-species within Argonians and Khajits. If Murkmire would be added, would you also like to see the different sub-species added to the game? It would make sense with Argonians. Instead of picking a race from the race menu, there would be a new button added once you choose the Argonian race at the top that have the different varieties. Maybe they add different passives, maybe they only change the look of your race, etc.
    I would suspect, that might be better done with adding new crown store appearance option unlocks for Khajiit and Argonians...
    ...after all, making a new race for the game would cost them some effort, so they would need to sell that race in the crown store to recoup that and make their profit. And something "completely different" would be more likely to sell then sub-options to existing races, yes?
    I think it would be a welcome change and would really expand upon the variety of options we have in ESO. I personally would love to see the Maormer added as a playable race, especially after a certain quest in Summerset. Would you like to see a race added to ESO?
    As for the good old "new race" thing, well...
    Let's take another look at the usual suspects, shall we?

Akaviri
    tumblr_ns6ec3nbRv1uc23y1o1_500.jpg
    ...are not one race but four. There is little lore if all of them were part of the akaviri invasion ten years before ESO - but lore does say there were survivors from that one, which eventually would make their way to Rimmen in northern elsweyr (DLC possibility?) where they join up with some human akaviri descendants from earlier visits... and make a push into cyrodil somewhen between this time and the rise of Talos in three of so centuries... so all of them may be technically viable lore-wise... though since they ought to be somewhat rare, it is a little questionable if they would be done (or at what price - adding a surcharge for extra-rarity would seem likely)

Tsaesci
    TsaesciES1.jpg1254f3a564b189196aac093378aac72f--elder-scrolls-skyrim.jpg
    These golden-skinned snakepeople may be possible, depending on how the powers that be choose to depict them in ESO... they -are- supposedly somewhere between argonians and lamias in body structure, so they -could- be done in a humanoid enough way to be viable for all equipment... (and thus as viable player race - the question if they have legs or not has yet to be entirely cleared by the lore) or there could be two kinds of them, like with the D&D Yuan-ti where one breed/caste might have a more snake-body lamia-ish body structure, the other a more humanoid one, thus keeping both options open, with the humanoid caste available as player character race (since I doubt anyone would play a race that could not use leg and foot armor slots, yes?)

Tang Mo
    c56bdc9b4b1ef09ad26335c00fcbcb4eb2c86fb4_hq.jpg
    tumblr_molwcv43b01rlysmgo1_1280.jpg
    Tumblr_llayvb4fx71qd59wbo1_500.jpg
    The monkey people of the thousand islands would seem entirely possible as palyer race. But they better also come with polearms to use staves in battle, hear! ;)

Ka Po'Tun
    RlsMHyR.jpg
    Not much is known about the Ka Po'tun except they are somehow "tiger-like", which could mean anything... a feline race like the khajiit, or perhaps a rakshasa-equivalent with fur-less human bodies and tiger head? Or something half-furred in between? Or perhaps even tiger-centaurs (which would make them unsuitable as player race of course due to non-humanoid body)? Or maybe they come in various forms like the khajiit depending on moon phases? Its really up to the developers, even though most fans envision them like the tiger-person picture I found... but there is little enough intormation that the poeple at ZOS could do as they wish with them...

Kamal
    Akavir-Kamal.jpg
    Sf77_snow.jpg
    Little is known about the "Snow Demons", except that they may have been the bulk of the recent invasion that spawned the ebonheart pact, and that they are rumored to freeze solid during winters - something that would make them a bit iffy when it comes to player characters and questing in eastmarch... however, noone can really say if that is not a mere rumor anyhow, it -might- just be indicating a cold-blooded reptilian race that are sluggish in winter and thus prefer to hide in warm caverns during that time. Up to the developers.

Goblins
    11_2016_letter.jpg
    600px-ON-npc-Gnaw-Root_Skirmisher.jpg
    Despite what some people might say, they are technically possible. They are around, they are (barely) intelligent enough to talk, cast spells and craft stuff, so... they could theoretically be player characters. Thay are also a bit... unwanted... all across tamriel, due to generally being too primitive to follow the laws civilized people live by, and thus usually end up killed on sight or enslaved for "their own good", so it may be a little iffy... but then, we also can make bretons and wander through stonefalls during the DC invasion attempt without getting murdered by our pact allies, so an exceptional gobbo becoming a hero may perhaps not be too far-fetched.

Imga
    2012-06-01_00002.jpg
    ...would be somewhat possible; they are technically around in this era, though they seem for some reason absent from valenwood in ESO, likely hiding somewhere in a pocket dimension like that vanishing village in greenshade (possibly in Falinesti) from Molag Bal and the soulburst troubles no doubt. But that would not preclude some being caught up in the issues and sacrificed by Mannimarco for vestige status before the rest of them got away...

Maormer
    200px-ESO_Kapit%C3%A4n_Irinwe.jpgMaormer_Guard_001.png
    aw_crwn_motif_pyandonean_1x1.jpg
    The sea elves would be entirely possible, they are around in this era, they are in the game, they have their own crafting style... all it needs is cobbling together some passives (maybe altmer/dunmer-istic but with storm damage bonus?), and there we go. Yes, the race in general is isolationistic, and an antagonist race - and playing as maormer through the AD storyline or the Summerset expansion would be a little iffy. But no more so then playing as imperial in the bangkorai or reapers march questlines, or as DC race in bleakrock to stonefalls, or as AD race through shadowfen...

Reachmen
    1474458066212.jpg
    They can or can not be their own race, that is up to the developers, the lore would support both them being just primitive bretons, or them being a slightly different race thanks to lots of interbreeding with other people in the distant past... but they are in the game, have their own crafting style and so... easy to do if the powers that be decide they want to.

...then there are some "maaaaaybe" races like:

Kothringi
    KothringiFemale.png
    The silver-skinned tribes of black marsh all died out in the Knarhaten flu. How-ever... that only happened twenty years before ESO, so its not entirely implausible that one or two "lone survivirs" managed to hold on, doomed to extinction, and got caught up in the troubles landing them in a coldharbour prison. They -could- be done as PC race, but if so, I would expect them to be as rare as apex mounts... either by hiding their racial unlock in crown crates at the same rarity, ot by charging an insanely inflated price.

Lilmothiit
    9d26e72a7d367e4e25da88a59ab7cf388c80adeb_hq.jpg
    Are in the same boat as the Kothringi. (not literally, since they for one were not taken aboard the crimson ship). Very unlikely as PC race, but not entirely impossible.

...and on the "nope" side we have:

Dremora (and other humanoid daedra)
    elder_scrolls_08.jpg
    Playing as daedra is way more iffy, lore-wise, then anything else. I mean, come on... why would any quest giver trust a frikkin -demon- to actually help them??? Because that's what daedra are in TES lore! Thus any daedra who shows their face without some sorceror to hold their leash would be seen as mortal enemy, not potential ally. Remember how your stories all start with some sort of rescue? Well, forget that if you were a daedra! You'd get your throat slit before you even woke up after the coldharbour escape... you'd be a dead-ra at best! ;p ;)
    Now, yes, it -would- be cool to play a dremora, dark seducer, skaafin or whatever... but it would not fit into ESO. If they ever make a TES game for it though... starting in oblivion, serving your dark masters, going to mundus for questing to avert some dire threat to oblivion itself, facing the usual mobs plus enraged mortals, with adventurer groups as "bossfights"... it could be fun! But it definitely is -not- ESO!

Dwemer
    0e728231b2ffda9d439877df217bba7737b8ed5d_hq.jpg
    The deep elves are long gone in this era (with one exception), and they won't be coming back for as far as anyone knows - even in games set a thousand years later, noone has ever recorded seeing another living dwemer (and they would have, seeing how its one of the great mysteries of tamriel, and anyone who found out could have gotten free drinks from the fame along for life).
    Only way we will see them is in some "flashback" quest, like the nedes or chimer - which is entirely possible. But never as player characters without some serious lore breakage.

Sload
    Sload_big.jpg
    ...are for one not present on Tamriel at this era (Sea Sload incursions into Sumerset aside), since they generally live on isles to the southwest of the continent; for another may be structurally unsuitable as player characters - they are supposed to be sluggish fat slug people, barely able to support themselves on land, which may not be all that great for player characters (I always kinda think of jabba the hutt when I read about them...)

Snow Elves
    cfbc1f3daec19bd9beacce28f5afc2f9--the-elder-scrolls-anime-art.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    ...are long gone by the time of ESO. And the only remaining ones are in hiding until met in TESV:Skyrim-Dawnguard. Ther blind mutated descendants the Falmer may show up in some dwemer ruin beneath some skyrim reguin though...

Wild Elves / Ayleids
    gallery_35806_45_396082.png
    ...have more or less been wiped out by the alessian rebellions, and the cyrodillic empire that rose in their wake; some possibly seeking sanctuary among the altmer... There are rumors occasionally, but those "hidden Ayleids" are kinda like the tamriel-tastic equivalent of elvis sightings... someone's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate has seen one somewhere near someplace, they swear it was true... but whenever scholars go there to check, the reported Ayleids are nowhere to be found (or turn out to be a drunk altmer in torchlight dressing up in a costume on a dare).
    And thus... ayleids not really viable as player-race, long gone and only their ruins remain... though perhaps possible as NPC... and rejoice! We meet just one such NPC in the course of the coldharbour assault questline..

Atmorans have become Nords... Youkudans have become Redguards... Nedes have become Imperials... Chimer have become Dunmer... Aldmer have become Altmer...
    ...making all those races part of history, and no longer around in their ancient incarnation.

As for all giants, lamia, ogres, minotaurs, or other races that have non-humanoid or oversized bodies - obviously those are all unsuitable for PC races (Can't have a player race that would clip through half the scenery after all! Or a player that needs a completely new set of animations!)
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have enough balancing issues...
    We don't need more races (especially a gallery of races which make no sense to be playable Lorewise: Lilmothiit are dead from infighting with Argonian tribes or the plague, Imga abandoned Tamriel temporarily, Kothringi died in a similar way as Lilmothiit, Akaviri races make NO SENSE to be playable, etc.) to make balancing worse.

By making those races playable, we'll also see a blizzard enter the Lore/RP Community where everyone brags about their Half-Tsaeci/Half-Imperial Ninja-Warrior Mage Assassin. It's generally just an unpleasant idea...
    However, playable Maormer is a plausible idea...And so are Khajiit or Argonian sub-races. I.e. Paatru (Frog-like Argonians) or Ohmes-Raht (Humanoid Khajiit)

@TheShadowScout Also why does everyone use that picture of a Sons of Svanir Icebrood Norn from Guild Wars 2 when talking about Kamal? Lol
    I wouldn't imagine that's how the Kamal look.

Also as much as I would want a playable Dremora...It would never happen. :'(
    I wanna play a Dremora Churl desperately trying to impress his Kynreeve higher-ups...
    Edited by Claudman on June 1, 2018 10:42AM
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Claudman wrote: »
    Also why does everyone use that picture of a Sons of Svanir Icebrood Norn from Guild Wars 2 when talking about Kamal? Lol
    I wouldn't imagine that's how the Kamal look.
    I would inagine they don't look like that, agreed.
    's why i also looked for alternative pictures, with... minor success. I do like the second picture more tho...

But the point is - noone knows how they look, so ZOS could do whatever. Like I mentioned, those "freeze solid in winter" legends may merely indicate a reptilian or perhaps more liklely ursine (aka, bear-like) race that hibernates? Polar bear race? I could see people get interested in that...
    b0ae15a5049c71f9bf53e8012884b6d6.jpg

Another possibility is some relation to frost giants, though those are active in skyrim winters, so perhaps not...

Still, ZOS could do whatever with them, and that's the point. make them a unlockable PC race, or maybe some "Snow Oni" cousins to ogres, or whatever...
  • RDMyers65b14_ESO
    RDMyers65b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you not understand that this is an Elder Scrolls game? The ten races are the only playable races for Elder Scrolls. If you want to play another race, find another game.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The issue is your still asking to add a race for the sake of adding a race which is the worst reason to do so.
  • Marto
    Marto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Something that I think would be interesting is allowing us to play different sub-races of the existing 10.

Imperials could chose between blonde and fair skin Nibanese, or more rugged black hair Colovians.
    Argonians could chose between the existing lizard-like options, or the more fish like Nagas that were shown as concept art as early as 2014.
    Orcs could chose between a orc of the wrothgarian mountains, or a wood worc from Valenwood.

They wouldn't even need to change passives or anything. Perhaps only change the extra % XP passive with a weapon, but even that wouldn't be necessary.
    "According to the calculations of the sages of the Cult of the Ancestor Moth, the batam guar is the cutest creature in all Tamriel"
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything except for elves. Three types of elves is more than enough.
    Joined January 2014
    PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • PouletRico
    PouletRico
    ✭✭✭
    Dremora ! Like @TheShadowScout said, it's not likely to happen, but I would love to see a new zone in Oblivion !

For different varieties, I see them as just graphics modification, not skills or passives.
    @PouletRico - EU PC Megaserver
    PouletRico - TankDK - EP
    Experimental Kamikaze - StamDK - AD

I'm doing my best, but I'm not a native speaker
  • Zachary_Shadow
    Zachary_Shadow
    ✭✭✭
    Do you not understand that this is an Elder Scrolls game? The ten races are the only playable races for Elder Scrolls. If you want to play another race, find another game.

So your argument is that because there are ten playable races at the moment, there shouldn't be anymore added? Again, I've said this three times now, new playable races have been added to new installments of the Elder Scrolls games. Imperials and Orcs weren't added as a playable race until the original Morrowind (Elder Scrolls 3), which wasn't too long ago. Should we have created a revolt because they added two new races to the then 8 playable races? Your argument isn't in line with previous Elder Scrolls games.
    The issue is your still asking to add a race for the sake of adding a race which is the worst reason to do so.

Yeah, or I would like to see a new race added for lore reasons, or for more playability, or like you said for the hell of it. The other races were added "for lore reasons, for more playable races, or just the hell of it." Everyone who would want a new playable race added has different reasons for it. Mine would be for more lore on the race. Others might want a new playable race for a new build or for roleplaying reasons. I'm not personally suggesting adding a race for the hell of it, I see your point, but I would like a new playable race added and more beast race varieties for more lore. The new beast varieties are already in the lore, always have been, and adding a new playable race that's in-line with the lore. Plus, ESO adding a new playable race can really change future installments of Elder Scrolls games. Adding the Maromer, because that seems the most likely at this point, could really make sense depending on where ES6 is located at, like Summerset or even parts of Valenwood or even Pyadonnea. Also, for a better argument, I suggest seeing @TheShadowScout post about all the different possibilities and different races that would or would not be possible. He really goes in depth about it and gives a great argument as to why which races could and would not be possible, even thoguh some races he suggested I think wouldn't be possible unless we went to Akvari.

Also, I want to say this again because your argument sounds like you think I just want to add a completely new race. I don't want to do that. All the races in the lore are there. By no means am I suggesting adding a playable race that is new, that is extinct, that the entire race is depicted as evil (therefore, making the player character evil), etc. I'm suggesting adding a new playable race that is lore-friendly, that are alive and well, and may have interpretations based on that person.
    Edited by Zachary_Shadow on June 1, 2018 4:40PM
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone thinks that the maormer would be altmer clones, but we don't have a race that's dedicated to lightning damage like the Dunmer are to fire. They could have increased lightning dmg, increased swim speed (since they're an aquatic race). I can see them being similar to dunmer moreso than altmer.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TheShadowScout, I realize you like to repost that list every time, but it might be time to rewrite the Sload entry completely now that we've actually seen Sloads in game again, for the first time in nearly 20 years, in fact. Yeah, not playing those.

If you want to throw Centaurs on the Maybe pile, I wouldn't stop you.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only varieties I can get behind are the Khajiit. There's almost a dozen Khajiit breeds, and while some, like the alfiq and senche aren't really suitable to players, there's others, like the Ohmes, Cathay-Raht, and Tojay (or Tojay-Raht) should (theoretically) be playable. If we take Legends at face value, even the Pahmar-Raht, and Dagi-Raht would be potentially playable variations as well.

In fact, the Cathay-Raht and Ohmes have been playable in previous single player games, so, those wouldn't even be new breeds.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you not understand that even in "Elder scrolls games", those "ten races" you refer to have not been set in stone? TES:Arena and TES-II:Daggerfall had eight, TES:Battlespire had six, TES:Redguard had one (duh)... the "ten races" have been from TES-III:Morrowind through TES-IV:Oblivion and to TES-V:Skyrim - soeven if we leave out the one where you get a preset character with Cyrus, only half the TES games have had those "ten races".
    Thus that is a pretty weak argument to make against ESO adding to them. Especially since it had been pointed out here already :p;)
    Marto wrote: »
    Something that I think would be interesting is allowing us to play different sub-races of the existing 10.

Imperials could chose between blonde and fair skin Nibanese, or more rugged black hair Colovians.
    Argonians could chose between the existing lizard-like options, or the more fish like Nagas that were shown as concept art as early as 2014.
    Orcs could chose between a orc of the wrothgarian mountains, or a wood worc from Valenwood.

They wouldn't even need to change passives or anything. Perhaps only change the extra % XP passive with a weapon, but even that wouldn't be necessary.
    If there is no change in passives, that's not a new race, that's a pile of cosmetic unlocks.
    Which totally should happen!
    I am all for giving people more and more appearance choices, letting them make "sub-races" or "halfbreeds" that way!
    ...even thoguh some races he suggested I think wouldn't be possible unless we went to Akvari.
    ...or unless Akavir went to visit Tamriel, and look what happened in eastmarch, riften and stonefalls ten years before ESO! ;)

As I kept saying, the lore from other TES games set in a later time does indicate that...
    Though ostensibly its own kingdom, Rimmen still pays tribute to the Mane of Elsweyr, from whose realm it seceded in CE812 during the Interregnum. Earlier, Akaviri refugees had fled persecution when the warlord Attrebus briefly aspired to the Imperial Throne. Attrebus, though he lasted no longer than most of the pretender kings of that period, thought he might rid Cyrodiil of the foreigners who had ruled it for the first half of the Common Era, and he drove the Akaviris past the Empire's borders into Elsweyr. The khajiit granted them asylum in the hills and steppes of northwestern Elsweyr, where they dwelt in relative seclusion until remnants of the Dir-Kamal resurfaced in Cyrodiil, seizing the Throne from Attrebus' successors. The Rimmen (literally, the "Rim Men," as the khajiit called them) joined their brothers to try to rebuild the Empire. This effort was doomed to failure, but not before the khajiit attempted to reclaim their lands in a series of bloody border wars.
    ...remains of that invasion will in some time in the next 250 years (presumably within a generation time from the events of ESO) end up in Rimmen and try to seize the ruby throne and reestablish a new akaviri potentate, which will last about as long as any "emperor" in cyrodil these days. Could even be a questline just about that, in an "Rimmen" DLC...

Also, there easily -could- be an expansion covering the three isles (Cathnoquey - Esroniet - Yneslea) in the padomeic ocean between Tamriel and Aklavir, which at this point in time would be akaviri territory and likely the staging areas for the invasion ten years ago... I could imagine a questline dealing with averting another akaviri invasion, yes?
    Everyone thinks that the maormer would be altmer clones, but we don't have a race that's dedicated to lightning damage like the Dunmer are to fire. They could have increased lightning dmg, increased swim speed (since they're an aquatic race). I can see them being similar to dunmer moreso than altmer.
    My thoughts as well. Something like a mix between altmer, and lightning-flavored dunmer oassives would seem to make a great deal of sense for those sea elves.
    I realize you like to repost that list every time, but it might be time to rewrite the Sload entry completely now that we've actually seen Sloads in game again, for the first time in nearly 20 years, in fact. Yeah, not playing those.

If you want to throw Centaurs on the Maybe pile, I wouldn't stop you.
    I have only reposted this... oh, this should be no more then the second or third time... :p;)
    Still, gonna do so again and again whenever the topic comes up, since its neat to have all the info in one place. (and this time I added the ayleids I forgot last time, see!)
    As for sloads, yeah, I am not so sure how they are related to the sea sloads we encounter in Summerset, but... either way, not really PC territory, those... but I suppose it might be good to add more info on them as well someday.

And centaurs are iffy for body-reasons just like lamia or all oversized races. So they belong in the "nope" pile with these for the body-mesh-animation issues, but would be entirely viable as NPCs...
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Call me old fashioned but if it wasn't a playable race in the TES games, I don't want it in ESO.
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • Zachary_Shadow
    Zachary_Shadow
    ✭✭✭
    Tabbycat wrote: »
    Call me old fashioned but if it wasn't a playable race in the TES games, I don't want it in ESO.

How do you feel then about being able to join the Psijic Guild? That wasn't in the original TES games.
    What about going to Coldhaurbour?
    What about going to Artaeum?
    How about being able to go to Summerset and fully exploring the island, unlike Arena where it wasn't fully fledged out?

Your argument is that because it isn't in previous TES games, it shouldn't happen in ESO? We've already had many unique experiences that we have not had in any other Elder Scrolls game. I understand your point of view; however, it's contradictory to what ESO has already done.