The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Giving Each Mount Type their Own Identity

Perwulf
Perwulf
✭✭✭✭✭
Edit:
I feel misunderstood, the bullet text probably is more noticeable and provoking.
Quote from my reply in cause you guys missed it.
"Also guys, don't take my idea seriously since it was just my personal idea and far related from my original intention. The whole topic revolves on how to improve mounts to be worth the crowns & have a unique feel instead of being pure cosmetics with no distinction aside from model and flashy effect. I based an example from GW2 on how it approached the mounts."

Don't you think we deserve at least just that? Most of the player base spends too much money just for mounts alone, and its prices are also expensive not to mention loot crates.

Summerset did open an opportunity for ESO to grow but to just add more and more DLCs or Chapters won't satisfy the player's menu and sooner or later our player base will start to diminish again until a new gimmick is presented.

Personally I think the best candidate for now is mounts. Since all of the mount type doesn't have a distinctive feel in them aside from different models and just for show-off hence people buy them for looks, but how about their gameplay? I think it's time to make mounts truly unique base on their type instead of them all sharing the same bone animation. While I don't want to advertise a different game but this would be the best example to take a look at so if anyone here is currently playing Guild Wars 2 or familiar with it, take a look at on how they approached mounts. Their player base didn't expect or wanted mounts but when Anet did add them, it was truly a great additional feature. Also Anet's original design decision was not to add mounts but I guess they've changed their mind, hopefully in ESO we will also see some changes in original design decision e.g. features that has been long requested before, Spears (Weapon), Crossbow (Weapon), Spellsword(Class), Duelist(1H Class), & Cloaks.

A few ideas: (Different from GW2)
Feline Mount Type: e.g. Lion, Senche, etc.
  • Dexterity (Faster Jumping)
  • Fleetness (Slight bonus movement speed and no penalty when turning)
  • Predatory (Slight bonus movement speed when moving towards enemy)
  • Reliable (Additional topple resistance when attacked)
  • Steadfast (Bonus movement speed while in combat)
Canine Mount Type: e.g. Wolf, etc.
  • Acceleration (Movement Speed bonus when spamming sprint)
  • Instinct (Reveals nearby riders, the faster they are the more visible at longer range)
Equidae Mount Type: e.g. Horses, etc.
  • Gallop (Bonus movement speed when moving in one direction and the longer they run)
  • Vault (Bonus Jump height and more base on speed)
Cervidae Mount Type: e.g. Elk, etc.
  • Green Affiliation (Green lands gives Reliable, Steadfast passives and increases mount speed by 1/4)
  • Rooted (Force dismount by combat gets you back up a second time, refreshes upon dismounting and mounting again)
  • Mediator (Provides extra mount speed on nearby allies including self)
Arachnida Mount Type: e.g. Nix-ox, Dwarven Spider, etc.
  • Hiking (Easier movement in uneven terrain)
  • Slimy/Web (Leaves trail of sticky compound to slow down chasers)
  • Climbing (Can slowly climb vertical surfaces) Might come in hand in Cyrodill for Ambush ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Camiladae Mount Type: e.g. Camels, etc.
  • Mule (Can Carry more weight)
  • Endurance (Replenishes mount stamina upon depletion, gain movement speed bonus upon replenish)
  • Tolerance (Additional bag capacity base on stamina, mount toggles walk mode when weight exceeded)
Ursidae Mount Type: e.g. Bears, etc.
  • Gallop (Bonus movement speed when moving in one direction and the longer they run)
Edited by Perwulf on June 5, 2018 1:47PM
"Monsters doesn't exist, we create them"

Giving Each Mount Type their Own Identity 37 votes

Each Mounts Must Have A Unique Feel to Be Worth the Crowns
43%
ThumbtackJakeBelegnolestatic_rechargeThaumicPerwulfPraboooGreenSoup2HoTBomblePantsSpiderKnightCheetac19Drathly6lackzeu5SchokoladeNairinhePhiathornsyldolLakhitia 16 votes
They're Fine, I'm Fine With Shared Bone Animations
56%
ashenehb14_ESODaveMoeDeeMarginisGythralDanikatidkanothermeSilverwillowAetherderiusPink_ViolinzCadburyPsyonicowolfie1.0.White wabbitOrjixmesmerizedishSilverIce58josiahvaFortunattoBooPerScOOper 21 votes
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mounts are fine. Cyrodiil is laggy enough without having extra calculations for mounts as with predatory, and I like not feeling like I have to use a certain mount in order to be optimal.

Basically, I like not having a meta to my mount choice.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of giving them all a bit more personality, maybe some unique standing animations, or something else to be used for besides carrying you places faster and giving you a bit of extra carrying capacity (which isn't really even a mount thing, it's just another upgrade you level up from that particular interface, rather than requiring a specific mount equipped to access the upgrade, like back in the day). I mean, they had this kind of thing at launch for ESO, where different mounts had different upgrades, and you had to switch between them to access different upgrades at different times, and they got rid of it, presumably for at least one reason, presumably at least one good one too, so I'm not sure adding gameplay differences between mounts back in is really desirable.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Uh, no. In-game buffs should never be a way to give you value for spending your crowns. Cosmetics, period. If you aren't feeling pretty from the mounts you bought, stop buying mounts.

Mounts weren't just cosmetic at launch. Some had more stats than others. The reason they made mounts completely cosmetic is that (1) they didn't want people to have to level all the mounts they bought, and (2) they didn't want to sell in-game buffs for crowns.

OP is suggesting selling buffs in crown store that are not available to get on mounts otherwise. Never.
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just want to not get nauseated while watching bear mounts run...
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I want super fast polar bear right now!
    PS4 NA DC
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, a DLC and chapter that brings in actual content for us to play is not a gimmick . It is rather odd someone would call adding meaningful content a gimmick is rather absurd.

Talk about an idea that is a gimmick to force players to buy more mounts is the idea presented here. Clearly OP is not aware of the history of this game.

We used to be able to level up a mount 50 times. Not 180. One had to choose between speed, baggage space or stamina or a mix. Some mounts cost more than others because they started with an additional 10 upgrades. Zos ended that and made the upgrades shared across all mounts on a character.

Now OP wants to go back to that with a twist. Want to PvP then you are required these several mounts for various conditions.

No, just no. Very bad gimmick. Great to think of new ideas, but not all are good for the game.
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This seems a bit unfair as there are players that can only afford the horses from the stable so they would only have access to the one perk , so no mounts are fine as is
  • mesmerizedish
    mesmerizedish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hahaha no. Mounts should be cosmetic, as they are.
  • Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This seems a bit unfair as there are players that can only afford the horses from the stable so they would only have access to the one perk , so no mounts are fine as is

My example of idea is different from GW2 and might seem unfair but can easily be remedied if ZOS would let all the mount types available to purchase via gold.
    idk wrote: »
    First, a DLC and chapter that brings in actual content for us to play is not a gimmick . It is rather odd someone would call adding meaningful content a gimmick is rather absurd.

Talk about an idea that is a gimmick to force players to buy more mounts is the idea presented here. Clearly OP is not aware of the history of this game.

We used to be able to level up a mount 50 times. Not 180. One had to choose between speed, baggage space or stamina or a mix. Some mounts cost more than others because they started with an additional 10 upgrades. Zos ended that and made the upgrades shared across all mounts on a character.

Now OP wants to go back to that with a twist. Want to PvP then you are required these several mounts for various conditions.

No, just no. Very bad gimmick. Great to think of new ideas, but not all are good for the game.

Gimmick is simply my figure of speech and ofc I don't treat previous contents as an actual "gimmick" from devs. I'm sorry if I have offended you but English is not my mother tongue and gimmick in my country and yours might have a slightly different usage.

Also guys, don't take my idea seriously since it was just my personal idea and far related from my original intention. The whole topic revolves on how to improve mounts to be worth the crowns & have a unique feel instead of being cosmetics. I based an example from how GW2 approached the mounts.
    Edited by Perwulf on May 31, 2018 6:29PM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The important difference is that in GW2 you can get all 5 types of mount in-game using gold, the cash shop just sells skins for them. In ESO you can only get horses in-game, all the rest come from the crown store. If they were going to have different bonuses which make them better in certain circumstances there would have to be a way to get at least 1 of each in-game, otherwise that's getting into pay-to-win territory.

I also voted no because I like being able to use whichever mount I feel like at the time and I'd hate having to use a bear or camel. I've tried both on the PTS and they make me feel dizzy.

However I would love it if the mounts could get some new animations and if there was more of a difference in their models, like if each horse was modelled after a different real life breed instead of just being different colours.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Plus all these ideas seem PvP related
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    The important difference is that in GW2 you can get all 5 types of mount in-game using gold, the cash shop just sells skins for them. In ESO you can only get horses in-game, all the rest come from the crown store. If they were going to have different bonuses which make them better in certain circumstances there would have to be a way to get at least 1 of each in-game, otherwise that's getting into pay-to-win territory.

I also voted no because I like being able to use whichever mount I feel like at the time and I'd hate having to use a bear or camel. I've tried both on the PTS and they make me feel dizzy.

However I would love it if the mounts could get some new animations and if there was more of a difference in their models, like if each horse was modelled after a different real life breed instead of just being different colours.

That is a good point.

However, even if Zos converted our mounts to skills and added mounts in game as OP suggests there can easily be unintended consequence as often occurs with such a major change.

Being that it does not seem the idea would offer anything meaningful to the game I think we can pass and move on.
  • Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »

Yes, bolded text is the main idea of my topic. I feel people haven't read the whole post and went straight to bullet list.