Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What does ceruval and cerum mean?

LindsC
LindsC
✭✭✭
NPCS in Summerset keep calling me it and I have no idea what it means
Edited by LindsC on May 27, 2018 9:09PM
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps corresponding to "serjo" and "sera" / "muthsera" of the Dunmer ?
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It means the person who's saying it is a snobby Altmer. :)
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps corresponding to "serjo" and "sera" / "muthsera" of the Dunmer ?

Most likely this. Every Race has their own native language, even though in-game we hear everyone speaking in "Cyrodiilic". Those Altmer as just calling you Mister or Miss in their own tongue.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    But if they call you nebarra or n'wah, then they are not exactly calling you "ma'am" or "sir."
  • Kahsa
    Kahsa
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe the "Sir" and Ma'am" translations are correct, as NPC's will call a single person both ceruval and cerum in the same discussion (i.e. Tarnavir, the former Chief Inquisitor uses both in addressing the questor during his initial conversation).
    Edited by Kahsa on May 31, 2018 2:45AM
  • Dracan_Fontom
    Dracan_Fontom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't the jerk face Earl of Clavius Vile say that cerum meant unwelcomed or something? Maybe I'm confusing it for something else.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't the jerk face Earl of Clavius Vile say that cerum meant unwelcomed or something? Maybe I'm confusing it for something else.

No, that was neberra.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • Dracan_Fontom
    Dracan_Fontom
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, that was neberra.

Yea that's it. My bad. :P
  • PrinceShroob
    PrinceShroob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on when it's used, I assumed it was a polite version of "outsider." At least its usage is more consistent than "f'lah."
  • ShadowWolf44
    ShadowWolf44
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking it may be a version of "Hero". Having just finished the quest where the Illumination Academy was under a powerful enchantment, the main Character, whom I'll call "The Bore", called me this a couple of times. it would make sense, to me at least, if that was his finally title for me, after saving all of his friends, and "his" girl. Could be wrong, but it feels right.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kahsa wrote: »
    I don't believe the "Sir" and Ma'am" translations are correct, as NPC's will call a single person both ceruval and cerum in the same discussion (i.e. Tarnavir, the former Chief Inquisitor uses both in addressing the questor during his initial conversation).

Maybe the altmer don't use gendered titles and instead it's dependent on context/tense/place in the sentence? Without knowing enough about their language it's difficult to say for sure but I know that's the case with some real life cultures. (For example the Japanese suffix -san is usually considered the equivalent of Mr/Mrs and is used for both men and women.)

In real life there's hundreds of variations of titles and greetings which aren't always directly equivalent so it would make sense it's the same in Tamriel.

Although they don't (yet) have the added minefield of automated translations. Someone I work with still has a letter they received addressed to "Beloved man woman" because that's how the software had translated an attempt at "Dear Sir/Madam". The rest of it is nearly as bad.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"