Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Is it worth crafting sets at low levels?

Messihippi
Messihippi
Soul Shriven
I’m a fairly new player (XB EU), and enjoying it thoroughly, but I’m wondering if it is worthwhile crafting/collecting unique sets before lvl50. I’m taking my time levelling up three 15-20s to support my main NB tank assassin 2H at lvl25, and I’m considering crafting Night’s Silence and collecting Defiler. Will I end up doing this five times before I hit the magic 50? Should I just put up with cobbling together the best of the found pieces and craft a few bits where I’m lacking?
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, no. And after you hit level 50, your gear doesnt stop there. You will have to gain 160 CP which you can do in a few days hard grinding, but playing casually will be a week(s). Its generally not worth worrying about your gear until you hit CP160 and just using the best drops you can find is good enough.
  • Messihippi
    Messihippi
    Soul Shriven
    Sorry - I meant DK, not NB!
  • testd4n1
    testd4n1
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and no. If its your first play through, yes since you don't have any CP behind you. If its a new toon, I'd say no. I've leveled several toons and only crafted them one green lvl 4 set. the rest were random drops.

It was especially funny when some higher CP players tried to recruit my healer to their guild and I liked my lvl 4 armor in chat lol.
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes with the training trait
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • sozo108
    sozo108
    ✭✭✭
    I would suggest joining a guild and finding a friendly guildmate to craft you some sets for every 10-15 levels in training gear. The set bonuses can make battles a little easier while you're leveling your skill lines and unlocking passives, and the training trait will help you level faster. Plus you can save those sets to use on a future alt, or research them after you've surpassed their level. On a magicka toon Seducer & Magnus' Gift is a good combo, and on stamina Hunding's & Night Mother's/Night's Silence.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can craft sets I would recommend it. There's no additional cost associated with a set and the bonuses help a lot. For dropped sets, I wouldn't bother until you are CP160.
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run a combo very similar to what you are considering, & it works out great!

Crafted sets & fill in with collected pieces & pick a jewelry set you like... also don't feel like you have to get the crafted ones replaced that often either as you level past them.
    I keep an eye on the battle bonus as a hint when its time to gear up... well that, and getting stomped!
    :D
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find that when I'm going through, leveling up an alt, it's nice just to craft a cheap set of gear for them with a whole bunch of training on. And I mean, if I'm crafting, might as well give them a set bonus or two. Now, they are still leveling up, so they will outgrow the gear, but depending on how fast they outgrow it and how much time you invest in getting the gear, it could be worth it. I definitely would NOT, for example, farm out a set of gear and upgrade it to gold without it being for a max level character, as it would take way too much investment for the little time I'd be using it. But crafting a quick green set with some training traits on it? Sure, especially since I can use the same set on another alt I decide to level. I'd be getting a decent bang for my buck outta that gear.

To more specifically answer your question, what I personally would do is craft a full gear set out of Night's Silence with some training on it, maybe upgrade it to green if you have extra materials. Grinding for dropped sets or complicating the setup with anything else just isn't worth the time for me.
    Edited by Marginis on May 18, 2018 5:07PM
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. You'll hit 50 in a couple of days
  • Messihippi
    Messihippi
    Soul Shriven
    Defilted wrote: »
    Yes with the training trait

Marginis wrote: »
    Sure, especially since I can use the same set on another alt I decide to level. I'd be getting a decent bang for my buck outta that gear.

As I said, I’m taking my time over this, as it’s my first run through, and I’m building up my muscle memory with my alts - maybe I’ll make a set with Devines on to pass down to later alts, so they can benefit from whatever Mundus they might want to go with. Training’s for the fast-lane, guys! :-)
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your having trouble with the game yes a decent 5 and 4 set even at green quality that is close to your current level can be helpful
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    One set at 10, maybe another at 25-35, but only if you truly wish it.

In most cases, you can end up assembling a full set of dropped gear that will let you clear most content on the way to 50.

So, if you have the mats, the crafter, and the desire, go for it.

Is it an absolute necessity? No.

(Crafted you'll have the benefit of choosing traits, generally full training, for faster leveling. And when you're done with it, you can toss it in the bank for the next alt.)
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • SinisterG
    SinisterG
    ✭✭
    i agree with others that a few items with training trait on it would speed your process up, but other than that, you can just use what drops and not have too many problems. Even without CP you shouldn't really die that often doing most content and if you do, maybe rethink your skill setup and play style. You can re-spec for gold in your alliance capital. Having said all that, keep deconstructing as much stuff as you can and research as many traits as possible so you can get your crafting skills leveled for when you hit CP lvls.
    -Ruin -
    It bleeds all life away

I will show you all that I have mastered
    Fear.
    Pain.
    Hatred.
    Power.

This is the art of ruin
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes ... Use the lowest level for each new material and make training gear in all weapons and all armour strength to power level them as you level

Makes life easier later

Use one heal one DD skill other three put one from each class line

Then hit the grind
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped crafting gear for characters I level. The leveling goes so fast so I just wear what drops as I go. If I crafted sets every 10 levels I would probably spend as much time crafting as I did leveling the character.

Now, for a newer player with low CP I might craft gear for him though I have leveled a character without CP or crafted gear and made it fine.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tended to craft set for alts, one set, then one second set with weapons so i can replace weapons and keep primary set.
    Benefits is training bonus and far higher dps.
    Used to make one set for each material, perhaps weapon set halfway. Sets was reused by multiple characters, then last of the 8 hit 50 i deconstructed them.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Depends. I use the opportunity to play around with different sets/combinations of sets at lower levels to find something that works well for how I want to use that character. Since you do level so quickly, you aren't wasting cp160 amounts of mats and you can change things up easily.

Sometimes you find a combination that isn't the current default that works out for you.
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to craft training gear for my alts. I usually just end up running in level 10 training armor until I'm level 50. I update my weapons though every 10 levels.

Once you craft it, you have training gear you can reuse on future alts (unless you're like me and decon them to free up bank space).
    Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, in fact crafting is the most reliable way to get decent gear at low levels, since the items you find from one of the dropped sets maybe at different levels. I have a magicka setup and stamina one for my characters, same sets at levels 14/24/34/44 with training trait. The combo is 5 Hunding 4 NMG for stamina and 5 Seducer 4 Torug for magicka. Trained 13 characters to 50 using them. Once I finish a char I transfer them to the next.
    Edited by Asardes on May 19, 2018 3:25PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most probably you won't be using most of the crafted sets after your reach CP160, so why not trying some of them for the time you struggle with content while getting to CP160 :). Also the whole process of gathering, refining, getting mats, researching, trading and crafting is a lot of fun, so why not doing that part of the game...
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • flguy147ub17_ESO
    flguy147ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes in all training gear. Big help in leveling.