The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Battlegrounds - Really just try it!

Mureel
Mureel
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I come from a mainly pve background but I have to tell you, for everyone out there who is all meh pvp and meh lag etc - I really tell you now: Battlegrounds is FUN!

Yes there's some cheese and yes, there are some frickin OP AF preformed- but I've gotten so so much better by learning from the OP groups!

They are short and sweet, and just a really good time.

I personally do not love chaosball - because I'm squishy and it's tricksy, but if you have a tanky runner it's amazing.

I'm not even very good and I die almost as much as I kill/assist but only a few weeks ago I died way more and killed way less.

Now, I kill a lot more and die a bit less.

No one has ever treated me badly or acted shirty when I wasn't as good - and it's really fun.

One time, in relic one, we had an amazing runner and I just guarded our own my best and he carry the group with so many points (really!) and I said 'lol nice thanks for the carry!' and he was all 'nah fam - we all did this!'

I promise ya. Give it a go, you might be surprised!

(Sigil still needs to be deleted though, in Deathmatch)
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes it's great fun. I would advice creating a char just for that as Battlegrounds is no-CP
    The Gaming Rev
    YouTube channel - https://youtube.com/c/TheGamingRev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer - Master Crafter
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Magicka Nightblade, Breton
    Stamina Nightblade, Khajiit

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Dragonknight, Dunmer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

Aldmeri Dominion - 1700+ CP

XboxOne EU
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Amorpho wrote: »
    Yes it's great fun. I would advice creating a char just for that as Battlegrounds is no-CP

Well they just don't use the ones you've set yeah - but yes: you do need to consider your Stam especially as a magicka build, so you have at least 12k once you're in and with food. I spec to 14.5 outside bg then have 12.7 when inside (or 14.7 - 12.5, I am on my phone).

Also immovable pots, both resource health ones and Stam speed ones - they look the same though so put them in your quickslots so you know which is which.

Sometimes you need offence and sometimes defence so you need to be fast sometimes and be steady and take a hit or 13, other times.
    Edited by Mureel on May 18, 2018 12:30PM
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is, they are the same MMO in MMO out, so why bother :)
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amorpho wrote: »

Agreed. I love playing my stam sorc in Battlegrounds. Don’t use it for anything else.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gythral wrote: »
    Thing is, they are the same MMO in MMO out, so why bother :)

lol so grumpy :D
  • Ectheliontnacil
    Ectheliontnacil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think you're a premade player in disguise trying to lure more unsuspecting noobs into BGs so you can farm AP. :D

Seriously though, as a competitive pvper I just can't enjoy BGs. Most of the time there's one group of tanky specs (with a healbot of course) that's rofl stomping everyone in sight.

Also there's a lot of cool aspects from pvp that are missing in BGs. Positioning and kiting is severely limited due to the small size of the arenas and due to their (poor) design.
    Bursty specs are not hugely viable in openworld pvp, but in these low dmg/close quarter fights the disadvantage is even more pronounced.

I was very excited when BGs launched with Morrowind, as the maps looked cool and I was expecting fast paced deathmatches. Instead we got stupid game modes and drawn out fights between heavy armour defile builds and cheesy proc specs.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The other thing is; when we're waiting for queue (and I mean even randoms from Vvardenfel) we often all go fish in between xD I got 4 nice gunny sacks and a blue and green fish today - and I despise fishing!

Also, a lot of people will duel whilst waiting and it's fun to watch even if you know you'll get rekt. Usually I know I'll lose because idk how to duel really and it's different builds etc.

Usually when I get a duel req I decline then play dead and in /say 'there same difference'

Today I accepted some duels and I won my first 3 duels ever today (and lost like 6-7) - and we made no vigor/no ward rules for duelling so that we could do more etc.

It's a fun micro community that really are usually cool people.
    Edited by Mureel on May 18, 2018 12:45PM
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mureel wrote: »
    I'll take your advice, once I get a few skills leveled up with my character.

I did PvP a few weeks ago and loved it. Died, but didn't care. It got better over time.

I think this is one element people don't get with the PvP experience. Going in, it feels so overwhelming.

But in time, things get better.

It's not for everyone, but for those who have listened to the complaints about it and aren't going in because of them, never judge a book until you've read it yourself.

Oh, one thing is true: lag is bad.

• Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think you're a premade player in disguise trying to lure more unsuspecting noobs into BGs so you can farm AP. :D

Seriously though, as a competitive pvper I just can't enjoy BGs. Most of the time there's one group of tanky specs (with a healbot of course) that's rofl stomping everyone in sight.

Also there's a lot of cool aspects from pvp that are missing in BGs. Positioning and kiting is severely limited due to the small size of the arenas and due to their (poor) design.
    Bursty specs are not hugely viable in openworld pvp, but in these low dmg/close quarter fights the disadvantage is even more pronounced.

I was very excited when BGs launched with Morrowind, as the maps looked cool and I was expecting fast paced deathmatches. Instead we got stupid game modes and drawn out fights between heavy armour defile builds and cheesy proc specs.

Lol come play me, I promise I'm not.

Yeah that cheese does happen, but even I (scrub mistress) have been able to shake off a lot of cheese, etc.

The premades who are strong get me a lot more than any cheesy stuff. The worst if if I'm trying to protect the ball handler (lol) and from behind I can hear the splats of poison arrow and snipes and stuff - oh and where I'm bad is mainly dk wings as magsorc- I have to be really careful with them because of wings I'll just kill myself, if I go in all gangbusters.
    Edited by Mureel on May 18, 2018 12:57PM
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    See because of ping and bad lag cyrodiil makes me crazy. I hate it. I love IC though...but I play IC on MB and BG on magsorc, and my under 50 archer and now and then my PVE tank, but I love my (no pet) Mag sorc more and more.
    Edited by Mureel on May 18, 2018 12:53PM
  • SkillzMFG
    SkillzMFG
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's all fun and games until a group of 4 premade templars starts mopping the floor with everyone in the BG. Seriously, hope the new patch fixes these unbalanced grouping systems.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SkillzMFG wrote: »
    It's all fun and games until a group of 4 premade templars starts mopping the floor with everyone in the BG. Seriously, hope the new patch fixes these unbalanced grouping systems.

That can happen - but it's a good way to learn from it - I am of the mindset that almost anything can be countered.

I just know too- that I'm not good enough to do that yet so I just handle it as best I can and ALWAYS GO FOR OBJECTIVE if the other group/s is/are op and let them Battle Royale themselves silly. Just SNAG DA FLAG and move! :D
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It wont
    One way to fight it is to do the same...
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    BGs are good fun. Solo is playable, but my best advice is to find at least a duo partner. Even if neither of you are great it’s awesome to have a like minded group member
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »
    Mureel wrote: »
    I'll take your advice, once I get a few skills leveled up with my character.

I did PvP a few weeks ago and loved it. Died, but didn't care. It got better over time.

I think this is one element people don't get with the PvP experience. Going in, it feels so overwhelming.

But in time, things get better.

It's not for everyone, but for those who have listened to the complaints about it and aren't going in because of them, never judge a book until you've read it yourself.

Oh, one thing is true: lag is bad.

Yeah I'll tell ya this: my first few BGs I went with my tank. I wanted to have a moment to see how it all went etc without spending all my time rezzing etc.

I'd advise going with even your pve tank if you have, so you can withstand some hell in order to see how they go.

Having done that gave me the confidence to try as a DPS character.

It's much better if you can get a feel for it - whilst being able to hold off 4-6 people at a time for a bit.

You won't get many kills, but you will not die so much, so you can see what's what and you're still somewhat useful as you can root/chain/wings/leap etc and you can at least keep a few players busy for a time.

At first you'll die a lot - but then you will die less and kill more.

You have to be willing to break a few eggs to get to the omelette.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    BGs are good fun. Solo is playable, but my best advice is to find at least a duo partner. Even if neither of you are great it’s awesome to have a like minded group member

@Lexxypwns
    Yeah this because you can decide then depending on what's happening, if you wanna go for the win or just pad out your Pit Bully ach a bit. Sometimes you have to just decide to go for kills if your group is all over the place and doesn't say anything.

Further to that, sometimes you might get a group mate who is all look, I have 14 kills to go, I'm going for kills - then I'm the type who will say F the objective and just help them rack their kills.
    Edited by Mureel on May 18, 2018 1:25PM
  • Didaco
    Didaco
    ✭✭✭✭

It will, to some extent.
    It will prioritize matching up pre-mades with pre-mades and solo with solo but it won't nullify the chance to still get matched up against pre-mades.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For those of us who haven't made 1k kills that is xD
  • lardvader
    lardvader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    About time I join in on BG - almost one year since release and haven't even tried it :smile:

I need it for the Midyear Madness for some titles and the crown :wink:
    CP 1200+ PC EU EP
  • raasdal
    raasdal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy all types of BG's. Do you want to know my secret?

To me, all BG's are Deathmatches. I do not care one bit about taking the relic, capturing the flag or getting the ball etc. I go to BG's to 1vX, like i would in Cyrodiil. Sure, sometimes my teammates will get upset. But hey - Pug Life...

In fact, in my experience, the most enjoyable Game Mode for me, is Domination. I do not fully understand why, but somehow this is the gamemode that promotes group-stacking the least, and provides the best 1vX scenarios.
    PC - EU
    Gromag Gro-Molag - Sorcerer - EP
    Dexion Velus - Dragonknight - AD
    Chalaux Erissa - Nightblade - AD
    Firiel Erissa - Templar - AD
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No i have phobias against PvP.
  • Zardayne
    Zardayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been wanting to but from first glance they didn't look near as fun as WoW, Warhammer, or Daoc BGs so I've steered clear. Maybe I'll give it a go this weekend and see what happens but as a magden I might end up just being fodder for the OP setups. More so when I lose my stun soon..
    Edited by Zardayne on May 18, 2018 1:55PM
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Zardayne wrote: »
    I've been wanting to but from first glance they didn't look near as fun as WoW, Warhammer, or Daoc BGs so I've steered clear. Maybe I'll give it a go this weekend and see what happens but as a magden I might end up just being fodder for the OP setups. More so when I lose my stun soon..

Build tanky, use the shalks as much as you can and just chicken them to death. Wear any armour that gives defence against penetration, (lol!) and also make sure you spec with tristat food, for 14.5 stamina as it will be 12k sth when you're in.

Get immovable pots. Make the ones that regen health and Mag + grant immovable, for starters. These will save your life (in as much as it can be) and slot the speedywings ability- you'll need to haul ass at times.

If you really want me to, I could write more later, but I need to go rinse my daughter's hair and then I'm just heading out for a few min.
    Edited by Mureel on May 18, 2018 2:05PM
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DanteYoda wrote: »
    No i have phobias against PvP.

Stahp. Lol xD
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tried it. Did not like. Couldn’t figure out wth we were supposed to be doing. Got beat on and crushed for 10 minutes. Not fun.

No one comes to chat to try and explain anything. Battlegrounds are just garbage afaic
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    Tried it. Did not like. Couldn’t figure out wth we were supposed to be doing. Got beat on and crushed for 10 minutes. Not fun.

No one comes to chat to try and explain anything. Battlegrounds are just garbage afaic

Yeah - I can see where you're coming from. If you spend all your time dead/rezzing it sucks.

If you try it with a tanky build first with lots of defence, you'll learn what's going on.

There must be an article or something to explain each type and objectives...but my kid is out of the shower so I need to sort her hair so we can go out for a bit...
  • Mihael
    Mihael
    ✭✭✭✭

If you are really a competitive player I recommend you que with a duo partner (don’t do premade because it’s boring to just steam roll pugs) with a duo you can kill most tanky teams unless they are in an organized premade which happens but not all the time. I actually think that there lots of opportunities to los and kite around even if they are small maps just try to learn all the different ways you can do it specially in Arcane University
  • Mihael
    Mihael
    ✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »

Try to find someone who has already played them to help, bgs can be very fun don’t let that one bad experience ruin it for you, if you put your @name and platform I’m sure people in this thread would be glad to help out (I would but I can’t play till next week)
  • drkfrontiers
    drkfrontiers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy it when both team are noobs - much fun.

Not so much when its a premade.
    "One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star."
    ~ Friedrich Nietzsche
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's exactly the same as guild wars 2 PvP