Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Swapping skill sets is broken for the Warden

Inoki
Inoki
✭✭✭
Not sure where to post this since I'm unsure where the problem lies but hopefully the devs could have a look at it,

my problem is I tried 2 add-ons that allow for skill set switching, but on the Warden it always happens to me with either that when I have on one the bear set as ultimate and on another the WW form, whenever I'm in combat with the bear set currently selected when I swap weapons the skills change as well. Instead of the bear I get the WW form from another saved set. This is a major inconvenience because I rely on the bear but lose it due to the swap.

I am unsure whether this is a UI mod's fault or the game doesn't respect this, because probably this only happens with the Warden.

Mods tested with:
  • Iakoni's Skill Changer
  • Dressing Room
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Inokid

First, as far as I know, the Combat feature will not allow any ability on an ability bar to be replaced by another ability instead while the character is in combat. Also, in my experience, a character cannot equip or unequip gear during combat.

However, I've read that it is possible to replace armor or weapons after a character is resurrected, but is still "greyed out" (the character can be moved to another location while "greyed-out"). I don't know whether it is possible to replace any ability on an ability bar with a different ability after the character is resurrected, but still "greyed-out". I have no experience with using an add-on to attempt either type of change while a resurrected character is "greyed out".

It is unclear from your OP as to whether you are enabling just one of the two add-ons and leaving the other disabled, or enable both at the same time. Most likely, you can enable one add-on and use it, but not also enable and use the other at the same time.
    Inoki wrote: »
    Not sure where to post this since I'm unsure where the problem lies but hopefully the devs could have a look at it,

my problem is I tried 2 add-ons that allow for skill set switching, but on the Warden it always happens to me with either that when I have on one the bear set as ultimate and on another the WW form, whenever I'm in combat with the bear set currently selected when I swap weapons the skills change as well. Instead of the bear I get the WW form from another saved set. This is a major inconvenience because I rely on the bear but lose it due to the swap.

I am unsure whether this is a UI mod's fault or the game doesn't respect this, because probably this only happens with the Warden.

Mods tested with:
    • Iakoni's Skill Changer
    • Dressing Room
    Is there any issue with swapping ability bars while both of the add-ons are disabled? (Use ESC > Addons, uncheck them and /reloadui.)

What you describe is almost certainly caused by a problem with one or with each of the respective add-ons -- although it could be a flaw in an TESO API function(s) that the add-ons use. Unless you have used these add-ons with another character who is not a Warden and there were no issues, there is no reason to believe that the problem only occurs with a Warden.
    • If you enable just one, and an issue never occurs, then disable it and enable the other one. If an error occurs, then you've found one which has a problem. It is possible that each of them has the same problem because both developers incorporated a "library" of functions in their respective add-on, and there is an error in one or more of the library functions.
    • If each one works as it should without the other one enabled, but the issue occurs while both are enabled, then they are not compatible.
    You should contact the respective developers of the add-ons and explain the issue to each of them. ZOS is not responsible for the development of add-ons, only for errors in the game software and the "megaserver".

Edited by Shadowshire on May 3, 2018 7:10PM
    --- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Inoki
    Inoki
    ✭✭✭

First, as far as I know, the Combat feature will not allow any ability on an ability bar to be replaced by another ability instead while the character is in combat. Also, in my experience, a character cannot equip or unequip gear during combat.
    My bad, I meant before and after combat, apologies.
    It is unclear from your OP as to whether you are enabling just one of the two add-ons and leaving the other disabled, or enable both at the same time. Most likely, you can enable one add-on and use it, but not also enable and use the other at the same time.
    One is always disabled.
    What you describe is almost certainly caused by a problem with one or with each of the respective add-ons -- although it could be a flaw in an TESO API function(s) that the add-ons use. Unless you have used these add-ons with another character who is not a Warden and there were no issues, there is no reason to believe that the problem only occurs with a Warden.

You should contact the respective developers of the add-ons and explain the issue to each of them. ZOS is not responsible for the development of add-ons, only for errors in the game software and the "megaserver".
    I already messaged the developer of Iakoni. I'll try to contact the author of Dressing Room as well. Atm. I'm using only Dressing Room as I find it more intuitive. I'll try to experiment more see if I can find a solution. Maybe there is a workaround, but it could also be the API you mentioned.

• Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its a Dressing room bug - it happens to me as well. not sure if only on the warden though as i dont really play anything else.
  • Inoki
    Inoki
    ✭✭✭
    I think I may have found a workaround, try the following (I use Dressing Room for it):

whenever you swap to a new set don't use it immediately, swap between weapons a couple of times. It's sort of to make the game realise what setup you're using so it doesn't mix up the skills.

It worked for me mostly.
  • Inoki
    Inoki
    ✭✭✭
    I can confirm that for me, tested a couple of times, what I mentioned above works.

Workaround:
    After you select a new set, try swapping between weapons a few times so the game "realizes" which skills you're using and won't mix them up.

This should do until a fix is released.