The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

new quests will auto track when aquired. thoughts?

twoscoopsofadam
twoscoopsofadam
Soul Shriven
After playing on the PTS at first I thought is this a bug why would you change my active quest just because I stopped to talk to someone. now I have to toggle through my active quests to highlight the one I wanted to track, and then I talked to another person and it happened again... and again..., and again in one small city, now I am annoyed. I feel as though I should not pick up any quests while adventuring because at this point it is all I can do as a player to avoid the above outcome. I do not know if this was a requested feature. I do however find it hostile towards those who play a zone like me and pick up several quests in an area at once. I am not a fan of the hand holding,, if I wanted a quest highlighted I would do so. Thoughts?
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calling it hostile is rather excessive.

However, accepting a quest should not overwrite your currently tracked quest if one is currently being tracked. So it may be a bug.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there is an option in the settings to control this behavior.

The quest log has always been wonky. Every time I complete a quest stage for anything in any zone, I am told to go talk to Sees All Colors. Even if I have several quest stages left.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• twoscoopsofadam
    twoscoopsofadam
    Soul Shriven
    hostile : (adjective}, opposed in feeling, action or character; antagonistic.

By definition I find it hostile to my active quest, LOL.
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see an option for this if it is in fact a bug and not an official change. I really dislike how there's no setting to track the most recent quest started and how you always have to go into your Journal and manually select it. Unlike the OP I only pick up a couple of quests at a time and finish them before picking up more.
  • hellhound223
    hellhound223
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer my tracked quest to remain tracked, and for new quests to be added to the journal but not tracked automatically unless it's the only quest in my log. It's been annoying me on the PTS, as someone who relies on the tracking to keep me on task, but I also haven't looked in the settings to see if it can be turned off. If it's not a bug, the option to toggle it would be ideal, I think.
    PC-NA
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You know they could just do a standard UI like everyone else. Put a little map up the right corner put the quest log under it and make it collapsible allow you to track 3-5 quests at a time on the main screen. I find it annoying that i will pick up two quest in a zone such as the ashlander and HoJ quests. I do the ashlander and turn them in and instead of kicking me to the other quests i have in that zone, it kicks me to some random quest or better yet a dungeon quest.

The UI is lacking a lot of basic features and functionality. They probably call it clean, i just call it dysfunctional
  • Redterrier
    Redterrier
    Soul Shriven
    I find this feature to be an annoyance myself. I prefer my tracked quest to stay tracked, and once done have the next auto tracked quest at least be one in the same region, which very rarely ever happens.
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    UI
    & no I mean what most of the UI in the game is

Useless Interference

it needs a off-switch at least but preferably the team working on it need to be set to work on things that need fixing in the UI, not wasting time adding un-wanted and un-needed interference

I am doing a quest - dont change that tracking!

Now if I am not tracking a quest pick the nearest, rather than the first in the list, okay, not change every NPC you see!
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • twoscoopsofadam
    twoscoopsofadam
    Soul Shriven
    After more play on the PTS I can confirm there is no option to turn this change off. This also affects activities as simple as picking up daily crafting writs. Does my active quest need to change six times (soon seven) because I am doing writs? Please consider either rolling back tis change or making it a toggle.
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i don't really like that. if they add it into the game i hope i will be able to turn it off in settings.
    Edited by Lucky28 on April 30, 2018 8:40PM
    Invictus
  • AefionBloodclaw
    AefionBloodclaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, there are many people who want a toggle for this, its so frustrating. Hopefully they listen to the feedback and either get rid of it or include an option to turn it off. Constantly having my quest tracker switching to a quest I just picked up is really annoying.
    'For love, for friendship and for valour, I stand with the Aldmeri Dominion.'

Zephyrle Starbreeze, Bosmer Nightblade
    Aefion Bloodclaw, Bosmer Sorcerer
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    don't like it at all.

as many have already said, this needs a toggle.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also noticed this, also don't care for it. :/ I already /feedbacked it in-game but I'll repeat it here: it's annoying!
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • feyii
    feyii
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also don't like it. On live, often a quest is randomly made active on changing zone, on PTS a newly accepted quest gets automatically activated - which also doesn't work consistently. Both are bad ideas in my opinion. If I have made a quest active, I had a reason for it and don't want the game to change it, just because it can.

It is ok, if the next quest in line is activated upon completion of the current active quest, but no other circumstances should change the active quest.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I think there is an option in the settings to control this behavior.

The quest log has always been wonky. Every time I complete a quest stage for anything in any zone, I am told to go talk to Sees All Colors. Even if I have several quest stages left.

And of course this is down to the fact that each stage ends before the next starts, so the next quest in your list takes its place. They often don't chain at all, and rely on an NPC force-greeting you with the dialogue that starts the next one. If you teleport home, for example, the chain is broken with no clear resumption mechanism.