Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Your approach to questing?

Dreepa
Dreepa
✭✭✭
I have seen different behaviors on this. Some care, some don't. Often groups seem to get distressed when there are different player types in the same group.
So here is a poll :)

Your approach to questing? 232 votes

I listen to the NPC throughout the dialogue
44% 104 votes
I ignore the audio-talk and read through the written text ahead of spoken text
24% 56 votes
I just skim through the text and try to get an idea, not really reading each sentence
8% 19 votes
I usually just click most of the text away as fast as possible and look at the task/map afterwards
22% 53 votes
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both listening to dialogue as voiceover is amazing and reading the text as English is not my native. I also have NPC talk on in chat options in order not to miss something interesting.
    Edited by myskyrim26 on April 29, 2018 3:01PM
  • Left4Daud
    Left4Daud
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate the work that goes into the text but yeah, I ain’t got time for that.

Edit: Didn't realize poll was anonymous. When I first started playing I would listen / exhaust all the text options but eventually I realized like none of my decisions mattered so now I just spam through it as fast as possible.

Edited by Left4Daud on April 29, 2018 3:06PM
  • maltinkilic
    maltinkilic
    ✭✭✭
    I listen and read the quest when doing it on my main. While doing it second time on my alt, ain't nobody got time for that.
  • aaisoaho
    aaisoaho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While doing the overland quests I read the text, because I read faster than the character can speak. In group activities I just skip the conversations so that the groupmates don't have to wait and idle while I have a chat with a NPC. I can read the dialogue afterwards from the internet if I am still interested in the story.
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1st time around, listen to and read everything

nth - get lost NPC gimme the loot :tongue:
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • maltinkilic
    maltinkilic
    ✭✭✭
    aaisoaho wrote: »
    While doing the overland quests I read the text, because I read faster than the character can speak. In group activities I just skip the conversations so that the groupmates don't have to wait and idle while I have a chat with a NPC. I can read the dialogue afterwards from the internet if I am still interested in the story.

To be honest I never read dungeon quests. Don't want to keep my group waiting. So I still don't know what is that guys problem with At'Avar in Spindle 2.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I know the quest, I skip. If I don't I listen. If I know the quest, but like it a lot, I listen too.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I listened to the text several times but now I just skip through it. I know some of it by heart.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If I am questing I am doing it to relax and immerse myself I like to listern.

if it is the second or third time doing the quest I am more likely to skip more of it though.
  • MaleAmazon
    MaleAmazon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read through. Listen the first time, if it´s good voice acting, if I care... if it´s Vanus Galerion talking I hammer away on the 'e' key like a chipmunk on amphetamine.
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It all depends on what I'm doing and whether or not I've seen the content recently; some quests are more boring than others, and I'm biased in favor of some races and places. Anything in the desert, for instance, I think of as tedious; I'm not sure why, but I hate those regions; random little good deeds out in the woods or off the beaten path, though, I'm usually interested in pausing to fully appreciate. Anything involving Daedric Princes and the like, I absolutely love; emotional quests are a favorite as well, as are puzzles.
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
  • Orticia
    Orticia
    ✭✭✭✭
    I read through it, or even skim it quickly now as I done all the quests before and listened to most of the dialogue the first time round on my main. New quests I still listen to 90% of the time (read it all) depending on the voice acting. The most interesting/emotional/well voice acted/favorite npc's can do their full voice acting again the second time round if I have the time.

Don't read all the books though. i tend to skim them quickly if they seem quest related. All others go into my library for later reading if i feel like it. There for sure are quite a few worth reading. It just takes to much of y playtime.
    Edited by Orticia on April 29, 2018 3:36PM
  • Bigevilpeter
    Bigevilpeter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Skill points and end quest rewards is all i care about, its not delivered in an exciting way for me to read all the texts or listen.

But still i get an idea of whats happening from doing the quests
  • woufff
    woufff
    ✭✭✭✭
    I LOVE listening to the NPCs in quests, apreciate and value the work people did put in there, especially the touches of humor here and there (cold even be more though :) )
    PC/EU&NA - Redguard Nightblade - Grand Master Crafter - Explorer of Tamriel & Skyrim - Playing Starfield (and awaiting TES VI ^^)
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    always listen, read through everything... no matter how many times i've done it.
  • Elissn
    Elissn
    ✭✭✭
    I always listen to the NPC's during overland quests. There are some very well written quests out there and I appreciate the work people put into it. Must say it, the voice acting is really good!
    Besides it's a nice way to -maybe- learn some English. Or maybe I just need another excuse to play ESO. Oh well.
  • Shadowstale
    Shadowstale
    ✭✭
    I approach the unsuspecting quest giver from behind, then suprise him / her with rapid strikes of "E".
    Then I run away, leaving him / her puzzled with what the heck just happened.
  • Stovahkiin
    Stovahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Unless it’s a quest I’ve done a thousand times, I always listen to the dialogue. If you go play other MMOs that don’t have *any* voiced dialogue for the story, you’ll learn to value it.
    Beware the battle cattle, but don't *fear* the battle cattle!
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first time playing I listened to everything, now having donr the same quests over and over and over I spam E, I dont even care anymore
  • vonScuzzman
    vonScuzzman
    ✭✭✭
    First time quests, I always enjoy the work ZOS puts into their story. On alts, not so much.
    XBox One NA
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I listen and read. If I am doing a quest for the 4th time, I click through.

I find i enjoy quests much more when I listen and take my time.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Orticia wrote: »
    I read through it, or even skim it quickly now as I done all the quests before and listened to most of the dialogue the first time round on my main. New quests I still listen to 90% of the time (read it all) depending on the voice acting. The most interesting/emotional/well voice acted/favorite npc's can do their full voice acting again the second time round if I have the time.

Don't read all the books though. i tend to skim them quickly if they seem quest related. All others go into my library for later reading if i feel like it. There for sure are quite a few worth reading. It just takes to much of y playtime.

Same here. If the book is quest related, I will read it. The others, not so much.
  • Graydon
    Graydon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I login I want to be a part of the world the developers work and effort created for us to experience.

Listening to the entire dialogue I get to feel the emotion and behavior of the npc.

I like to slow down and smell the flowers. Never really understood the hurried pace of play. I’m here for enjoyment and submersion.
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People who don't listen to or read the text are missing out big-time.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I listen to the dialogue as the voice acting is quite good and I enjoy the story.

The actual gameplay part of the quests is over in a few seconds though, as all quest enemies die in 1-2 hits, including "bosses".
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on April 29, 2018 7:47PM
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    If I know the quest, I skip. If I don't I listen. If I know the quest, but like it a lot, I listen too.

What he said.
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When all quest related mobs die to 2 light attacks and a skill it makes questing seem.... empty. So I just skip dialogue, I'm after achievement points.
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If it is my first time doing a quest (or I really like the quest dialogue), I will listen to all the dialogue and click on all the dialogue options. Otherwise I'll skip through parts of it.
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • Blazyn
    Blazyn
    ✭✭
    My partner and I look forward to the questing and being able to explore while questing, not just running to quest location. It's the best part to the game imho! Can't wait!
  • Loralai_907
    Loralai_907
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first time I do a quest, I try to pay attention and not just click through. If I have done the quest before, but I love it, I try to do the same. For all other questing scenarios, I am rushing through to get my skillpoints on an alt.
    PC-NA - formerly, mommadani907Guild: Weeping Angels - Co-GMTwitter: @ Loralai_907 several Alt accounts....CP 1700+
    Active characters:Fauna Rosewood ( Bosmer Stam DK - Master Crafter/AD)///Loralai Darknova (Drunken Zombie Bosmer Stam Sorc - PvP/AD)Lilith Darknova ( Dunmer Mag DK - Master Crafter - PvP/AD)///and roughly 1billion alts