Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Ok, is it "Gryphon", or "Griffin"?

ArchMikem
ArchMikem
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
For some reason I default to spelling it as Gryphon, even though all sources say the correct spelling is Griffin.

Then ZOS comes and posts in Tumblr about Summerset, spelling it as Gryphons. Are there different types or is Gryphon just a widely common misspelling?
CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Froil
    Froil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's both griffin and gryphon.
    Edited by Froil on April 3, 2018 7:46PM
    "Best" healer PC/NA
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ArchMikem It was 'Gryphon's Feather' in Daggerfall apparently. Which sources say the other is correct?
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was 'Gryphon's Feather' in Daggerfall apparently. Which sources say the other is correct?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffin

I guess though it can be spelled three different ways. But outside of pop culture I usually see it spelled "Griffin".
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    I guess though it can be spelled three different ways. But outside of pop culture I usually see it spelled "Griffin".

I see, you meant IRL. :) As far as I know the Gryphon Feather in Daggerfall is the only previous reference to the creature in Elder Scrolls, but I've not played anything before Morrowind, so if more information existed in Daggerfall or Arena, I don't know about it.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    For ESO, it's Gryphon. :)
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • WIZZARD2K
    WIZZARD2K
    ✭✭✭
    W6mLCzxrhS-2.png
  • dogmaticus83
    dogmaticus83
    ✭✭
    I'm not too profficient at Elder Scrolls lore, but I'm pretty sure, that this is Griffin:
    FGuy_Peter_Gen2012_R3Flat.jpg
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's Gryphon in English-speaking countries, and Griffin in America. (Merv said so).

And I'm not taking the one in the centre, either.
  • magictucktuck
    magictucktuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its like how us americans spell Brazil, but its actually Brasil (it even wants to spell check me lol). different strokes for different folks
    PC-NA

Necromancer

Flawless Conqueror

https://www.magictucktuck.com for my builds and guides!
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its like how us americans spell Brazil, but its actually Brasil (it even wants to spell check me lol). different strokes for different folks

one day we yanks will learn to speak and spell proper English.
  • CHIMCHIMCheree
    CHIMCHIMCheree
    ✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

I see, you meant IRL. :) As far as I know the Gryphon Feather in Daggerfall is the only previous reference to the creature in Elder Scrolls, but I've not played anything before Morrowind, so if more information existed in Daggerfall or Arena, I don't know about it.

Arena and Daggerfall used "Griffin" as part of their inn name generation system.

Arena had the inns "White Griffin" and "Devil's Griffin" in Belkarth Guard, for example: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Arena:Belkarth_Guard

Cloudrest had Griffin inns too: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Arena:Cloudrest

Daggerfall seems to have had a number of inns named after a 'Griffin': http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Daggerfall:_Taverns

Sunhold in The Summerset Isles was going to have a gladitorial team called The Griffins but this didn't make it to production: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Sunhold

Daggerfall also included a "Gryphon's Feather" potion ingredient: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Gryphon's_feather#Gryphon.27s_feather
  • JPcrazysquirrel3
    JPcrazysquirrel3
    ✭✭✭✭

On a different topic, but I noticed your username, and would like to inform you that in Summerset, you'll meet a character who has had a "magical tuck tuck".
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
    "It's just not a home until you decorate the torture chamber, am I right?"
    "If you want to lose 10lbs of ugly fat, I'd be happy to chop your head off!"
    "Degenerates!" --- Todd Howard
    "If it's not broke, don't fix it,....unless you're ZO$ and are just doing it for the money!" --- Me
    Mayrael wrote: »
    Class reps are just like our politicians. They promise mountains made of gold for us, but in the end, whenever they can they try to push their own agenda.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bio:
    I am in a Kevduit video
    PS4 (main platform)
    --- JP_Dovahkriid

PC (just for PTS since Dragon Bones)
    --- JP_Dovahkriid

Playing since console release in 2015

17 characters; mainly play PvE tanks and healer, as well as PvP stamDK, magplar, and stamblade; I also have a handful of DPS toons to have variety. All AD, with one, now PvE, DC toon.

I was on the forums before, but something happened with my account info and I had to create a new account.
  • AgmarTheUnrestful
    Technically, there are a total of five possible spellings: griffin, griffon (which is derived directly from the Old French), gryphon, grifon, and gryfon, none of which are directly derived from Ancient Greek (the Ancient Grecians called such a creature a gryps (pronounced like "grewps")); the closest spellings to their etymological ancestors are the previously noted griffon (Old French), as well as the Commonwealth spelling gryphon (closest to the Latin gryphus).
  • Ruthven
    Ruthven
    ✭✭✭
    For ESO, it's Gryphon. :)

vB9B5.gif

:smiley:
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    “Gryphon Heart” is a title.

Must be Gryphon!
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »
    “Gryphon Heart” is a title.

Must be Gryphon!

Methinks the devs were playing a little too much Heroes of Might and Magic III.