The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Like other large MMO's is it not time for an official name purge?

• SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd only be ok with a name purge of people who haven't played in at least five years, because then there's a high chance that they'll never be back.
    ESO isn't five yet. B)
    But I've had games that I've put away for a year, or two years, and then started playing again. It would make me sick if I took a one-year or two-year absence from a game, only to have all my names gone when I returned.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think 4 year absence is enough, this game isn't subscription based and people who left had plenty of time to log in and there is many people who tried and played eso at launch expecting it to be skyrim online and so are unlikely to come back.
    Edited by Aliyavana on April 29, 2018 2:33AM
  • YarYar
    YarYar
    ✭✭
    itscompton wrote: »
    What possible logic do you people have to argue against something as reasonable as someone requesting names being reclaimed from defunct accounts that haven't logged on in months, if not years?

People leave games and come back to them. By purging old names (and by extension, old characters) it reduces the likelihood that they would come back, stay, and invest more in the game. I know if I were lured back to a game because of something like an expansion dropping soon and found my old character deleted there is no way I'd play it again.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YarYar wrote: »
    What possible logic do you people have to argue against something as reasonable as someone requesting names being reclaimed from defunct accounts that haven't logged on in months, if not years?

People leave games and come back to them. By purging old names (and by extension, old characters) it reduces the likelihood that they would come back, stay, and invest more in the game. I know if I were lured back to a game because of something like an expansion dropping soon and found my old character deleted there is no way I'd play it again.

They wouldn't have to delete the character. Just make it so when you log in you have to choose a new name. Still I kinda think once a name is gone it should probably stay gone.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell us what name you wanted. We'll offer some variations you can try to get your desired char name :smile:
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like this idea, i hope eso does this.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    radiostar wrote: »
    Tell us what name you wanted. We'll offer some variations you can try to get your desired char name :smile:

oh you are a developer or eso employee?
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    I'd only be ok with a name purge of people who haven't played in at least five years, because then there's a high chance that they'll never be back.
    ESO isn't five yet. B)
    But I've had games that I've put away for a year, or two years, and then started playing again. It would make me sick if I took a one-year or two-year absence from a game, only to have all my names gone when I returned.

They could send out an email to everyone and post an article in the news section that they were planning a name purge in say a month or two so anyone still interested in the game had a heads up to just log onto that character by a certain date. Might even be a decent incentive to get old players to log on and check out the game for a minute.

Your average player is probably not that invested in their characters name that it determines whether or not they come back to the game and a name purge would definitely not delete that persons character. It would be just like using a name change token, the next time u tried to log onto that character after being inactive for that long period of time it would ask you to enter a new name. You could use the same one if it wasn't later taken by someone else.
    Edited by Twohothardware on April 29, 2018 7:21AM
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    radiostar wrote: »

oh you are a developer or eso employee?

lol, just a friendly player
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    maxresdefault.jpg

:)
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I took a break for over a year, with the intention of coming back. If I found that my characters had been tampered with in any way in that time, I would have quit for good. I'm not a fan of any mechanics that punish people for prioritizing other things than the game.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I took a break for over a year, with the intention of coming back. If I found that my characters had been tampered with in any way in that time, I would have quit for good. I'm not a fan of any mechanics that punish people for prioritizing other things than the game.

I could see your point if it was a mechanic punishing you for not logging on the game once a week or once a month but something that releases names held by players that have been inactive for as long as two or three years is a benefit for existing players more than it is a punishment to the small percentage of players that would come back to the game after that length of time.
    Edited by Twohothardware on April 29, 2018 8:16AM
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Good. I am glad, I was getting annoyed with seeing rubbish Game of Thrones characters running around.

If you just use an ounce of creativity, you won't have this problem.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Unless you're locked up in prison or deployed overseas there's not a lot of reasons why you don't have the time to log on a game you care about once every year or two.

Thank you for displaying your encyclopedic knowledge of the circumstances of the lives of others.

Or to put it another way, how many people would you be comfortable with losing access to the name of their character due to circumstances that may have nothing to do with laziness or lack of interest?
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iluvrien wrote: »

Unless you're locked up in prison or deployed overseas there's not a lot of reasons why you don't have the time to log on a game you care about once every year or two.

Thank you for displaying your encyclopedic knowledge of the circumstances of the lives of others.

Or to put it another way, how many people would you be comfortable with losing access to the name of their character due to circumstances that may have nothing to do with laziness or lack of interest?

You replied as I was in the middle of editing my post to be less rude as to the point I was trying to make but it still stands that expecting you to log on a character once in the last year or two is not asking much to keep you from losing a name to other existing players who are investing money in the game if that character means something to you.

According to half the replies in this thread the names taken by these inactive players can be easily replaced if they have an ounce of creativity anyway.
    Edited by Twohothardware on April 29, 2018 8:32AM
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a fan of name purges TBH.

ESO allows first and second names and special characters, it shouldn't be too hard to find a name which isn't used unless you're being very unimaginative.

Also it's never fun for players on breaks who then return to find they now have to put a ticket in for a name change because their once owned named is cleared. We're also not even five years into the game yet, I might be more on board with this when we hit ten years and there are accounts which haven't been used in five plus years but we're still very young in the game.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • idrankyourbeer
    idrankyourbeer
    ✭✭✭
    EvilCroc wrote: »
    Good names are taken and will never return.

DEAL
    WITH
    IT

if i wasnt already at my character limit i would try making an argonian named Deals-With-It

but for all i know, someone who quit the game years ago and will never return might have already have taken it
  • EvilCroc
    EvilCroc
    ✭✭✭✭✭

DEAL
    WITH
    IT

if i wasnt already at my character limit i would try making an argonian named Deals-With-It

but for all i know, someone who quit the game years ago and will never return might have already have taken it

You can not know he will never return or not. Nobody should have the right to decide such things.
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I quit in early or mid 2015 and came back with Morrowind. So yeah.

Gandalf, Tyrion, or whatever some anime character is called, are _not_ "cool names". Cool names in ESO are Ashibaal Mantashpi or Ildos Rothren. ;)
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varana wrote: »

Gandalf, Tyrion, or whatever some anime character is called, are _not_ "cool names". Cool names in ESO are Ashibaal Mantashpi or Ildos Rothren. ;)

If names like Gandalf and Tyrion were the only names already taken then yeah. Pretty sure sites like Nameberry.com have had their entire database registered on ESO.
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vat tis das?
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varana wrote: »

If names like Gandalf and Tyrion were the only names already taken then yeah. Pretty sure sites like Nameberry.com have had their entire database registered on ESO.
    If you're going for a single character name it's very hard. I've yet to find anything which isn't taken by using first and second name for all characters.
    Also some originality helps, if you're taking names from popular fiction or media then they're going to be taken. It might be one of the blessings of becoming a roleplayer that I aim for more interesting and unique names. That said I do wish I took "Shadow" at early access just to sell it to someone now for millions of gold. :tongue:
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    the only time i've had 'name in use' was when i tried to use a name i was already using on another toon.
  • MajBludd
    MajBludd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Alt number codes. It's not what you are asking for, which isnt a bad idea.

The only issue would be the amount of time from last login. I have ppl on my friends list who haven't been on for a month or more.

Then they log on for a month and disappear for a few months again. So, I don't think it would be fair to take their names. Just have to find medium that would work.
    Edited by MajBludd on April 29, 2018 10:30AM
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there should be a name purge since I wonder how many people took good and popular names at launch and only played the game once or twice and just stopped playing completely.
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • MerlinPendragon
    MerlinPendragon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Use vowels with accent marks. That is how I have gotten many of my desired names.
    ✭✭✭✭
    The hardest name I had to work around is my Butter's inspired Templar Tank... Who knew people liked Butters as much as me... Well that, and his real name does fit pretty well within ESO lol
    Back from a much needed break. || I like having too many projects and working on them all at once.

Tank Enthusiast || CP: 445 || Stormproof

Tanks
    Karsaak gro-Ursa: DC || Orc || Stamina Dragonknight || Tank || Level: CP 445
    Sir Leopold Stotch: DC || Breton || Magicka Templar || Tank || Level: 445
    Protects-Squishy-Ones: EP || Argonian || Magicka Sorcerer || Tank/CC || Level: CP 445
    Björn Shadow-Walker: EP || Nord || Stamina Nightblade || Tank || Level: 15
    Tiberius Valerion: AD || Imperial || Stamina Warden || Tank || Level: 15

Damage Dealers
    Morrigan Ravyn-Cloak: AD || Altmer || Magicka Nightblade || DPS || Level: CP 445
    Ra'Zahkara: AD || Khajiit || Stamina Dragonknight || DPS || Level: CP 445
    Ezra al-Khazir: DC || Redguard || Stamina Templar || DPS || Level: 40
    Erryndril Telvaux: EP || Dunmer || Magicka Dragonknight || DPS || Level: 25
    Uzara gra-Khalari: DC || Orc || Stamina Nightblade || DPS [2H/DW] || Level: 15
    Solomon Motierre: DC || Breton || Magicka Sorcerer || DPS || Level: 20
    Ragnar the Wulf: EP || Nord || Stamina Warden || DPS || Level: 30
    Ra'Rahku: AD || Khajiit || Stamina Nightblade || DPS [Bow/Bow] || Level: 15

Healers
    Sees-through-Hist: EP || Argonian || Magicka Warden || Healer/CC || CP 445
    Daedalus the Artificer: AD || Altmer || Magicka Templar || Healer || Level: 15
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Can relate to this,
    if returning to the game and finding my characters had been altered in such a manner
    would turn away from playing further

If there were some way for the system to function
    so that the new individual who took the name received a name change token and had to change their name if the original user logged back in
    could be in support of the system

ESO has a robust enough naming system that such a purge would not be necessary to begin with tho
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

DEAL
    WITH
    IT

Would you be planning to actively play as Deals-With-It for years to come
    or do you just want to be the person who has a character with that name on his or her account
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    the only time i've had 'name in use' was when i tried to use a name i was already using on another toon.

Had the message pop up on the first day of early access
    after making Tantrika and Samadhi as characters
    tried to make Shakti, but it was listed as taken
    to be fair, Shakti has been taken in almost every other online game with the exception of one
    Played as Shakti in that one for some time, left, they merged servers and whoever had the most hours clocked kept the name, relogged and found the name on my character B)

as an important philosophical concept for various traditions,
    and the name of a Goddess
    Shakti does have a tendency to get taken

Tantrika and Samadhi are somewhat less common as philisophical terms,
    and have been able to utilize them in other games that have been established for several years