Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Help me salvage this NB

SickleCider
SickleCider
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I have this Altmer vampire NB that I haven't touched in a year. In fact, I've recently returned from an extended hiatus from the game. I've spent most of my time thus far tweaking my Breton sorcerer, whose build was fortunately pretty solid before, so not much more work needed to be done on return. This NB, though, is a complete mess. I sat down to read carefully into all the skills and passives I chose for him and feel out his rotation. I was doing him as a magicka NB with a destro staff, and on top of that feeling redundant, nothing about him works. I'm actually not sure what I want to do with him now, so I wanted to get some opinions on what might be fun, functional, and stylish. I don't necessarily intend to take him into vet content, so as long as it works for low level PvE, I'll be satisfied. Things I was considering doing were trying him with a restro staff or rerolling him as a stamina NB, and possibly making him a werewolf, to compensate slightly for having made him the very magicka-oriented Altmer. I'd rather not spend money on a race change token for this toon if possible.

Thank you for your time. :)
✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need more information. Level, gear, current skills, attributes, Mundus stone - sort of necessary to determine what's "wrong".

• SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I'm sorry! Let me clarify: I want to try an entirely different build. I'm not asking anyone for that deep an analysis! I just want to know what'd be fun to try.

That being said, I'll come back to this thread in a little while with more information if that'd help. I'm doing dailies on a different toon currently.

EDIT: Here we are:

Altmer, Magicka NB, Vampire
    Level 50, CP316 (points not applied yet)
    Magicka 49 / Health 15 / Stamina 0
    Boon: The Apprentice
    Minor Protection
    Major Prophecy

Bar 1: Force Pulse, Impale, Shock Clench, Radiant Magelight, Invigorating Drain, Thunderous Rage
    Bar 2: Swallow Soul, Twisting Path, Crippling Grasp, Radiant Magelight, Merciless Resolve, Clouding Swarm

Lightning Staff of Morihaus - purple - crusher - precise
    Lightning Staff of Endurance - purple - life drain - infused
    Vampire Lord's Hat - purple - max magicka - divines
    Cuirass of the Vampire's Cloak - blue - max health - infused
    Vampire Lord's Epaulets - blue - max magicka - divines
    Vampire Lord's Sash - purple - max magicka - infused
    Vampire Lord's Gloves - blue - max magicka - divines
    Greaves of the Vampire's Cloak - blue - max health - divines
    Vampire Lord's Shoes - green - max magicka - reinforced
    Necklace of the Vampire's Cloak - purple - health recovery - healthy
    Ring of the Vampire's Cloak - purple - health recovery - healthy
    Magdelena's Ancient Ring of the Vampire's Cloak - blue - flame resist - healthy

Here's my theory about what I might have been thinking at the time. I'm sure the gear was very much a WIP, and it seems like I was mostly concerned with health sustain and weakness mitigation. What I ended up with was a character that doesn't really excel at anything. It's actually embarrassing to look back on. lol
    Edited by SickleCider on April 13, 2018 6:49PM
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magblades have gone through a lot of changes. They’re pretty kickass now. I helped a friend build one a purple of months ago...PvP and PvE they hit HARD. Some tips to get you started:

Alcasthq.com is a good place to start. His builds are very good, he explains them well, and he always includes a gear setup that is easy to acquire and a half CP allocation. When in doubt, follow his build then adjust from there.

Your race is fine. Altmer is still a top performer. Vamp should be fine.

Radiant magelight can be exchanged for inner light. The max magic boost will help you more than the increased radius. As a magblade you don’t need to hunt as vigorously.

Harness Magicka is a more important skill now. The magic return helps a lot.

Siphoning attacks is very important now. The game is heavy on resource management - anything you can do to get magic coming in is very valuable.

I like a double Destro setup. A magblade doesn’t really need a resto staff’s heals.

With double Destro you can go soul harvest / destro ultimate. This will turn you into a ultimate proccing machine of insane proportions.

Your gear sucks. I don’t think you need to think vampire on your gear at all...class abilities do more to overcome issues there. To get back in the swing of it, id recommend julianos as the base. Make the weapons julianos. Then you can do 4-5 pieces of a magic drop set, then 1-2 monster helm. The second set doesn’t matter that much, especially if you’re doing 4 pieces. Just something that offers slightly better buffs...necropotence, mothers sorrow. If doing a 2 piece monster set, grothdarr and valkyn are brutal. Illambris can work with some thought to skills chosen (to get fire and lightning damage).

Gold weapons are very helpful. Gear can be purple until you love the build and need the marginal boost for gold. Right now the “meta” is nirnoned on your attack weapon and infused on the back. This is pretty good, for complicated reasons I won’t explain here. If you plan to PvP, impen is VERY important right now. You might need two sets of julianos if you’re going to PvP and PvE.

You’ll suffer a little for the lower CPs, but the game is so frontloaded in the cp tree now that you will pull about 80% the power a max cp character can. So it’s not a deal killer. For the most part, I agree with alcast’s 300 magblade PvE allocation. However, he is focused on trials and vet content. So I’d make a few tweaks. In blue I’d reduce thaumaturge by half and forget staff expert. I’d push these into element expert and elfborn (I do less DOTs than he does). In reds, I’d reduced thick skin and stick more w Hardy and element defend (you get hit with less DOTs when yo don’t play heavy trials). In green, I might reduce tenacity a bit. You’re working toward 75 in arcanist. I also like some in stamina and health recover...I know he doesn’t, but I play more diversely and don’t need to max.

Hope that helps. You have a potential dps monster there...he just needs some tweaks to catch up w the game changes made over the last year.
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    Your gear sucks.

The frankness of that made me LOL. When the other person asked for details I whispered, "please don't." That gear is absolutely abysmal, I agree. I also agree that Julianos is a solid place to start until I get more specialized. My Breton has benefited from it. There's so much good stuff here, I don't feel like I can respond to it all individually! Thank you so much for taking all that time to provide such good insight! It's really comforting to know that I don't need to brick this character. You've given me a lot to consider, and some ideas about tweaks to other toons, too. You're my hero for the day.

• davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can only say with certainty that it sucks because I’ve been there. 12-18 month’s ago, and my magblade was in all the trendy vamp gear because I though he needed it (and he’s really into Twilight, as any Breton magblade probably is).

But with changes to the game, CPs help overcome a lot of vamp downsides, and their class abilities help overcome others. I learned to soul suck while using harness magic. Healing behind that shield will make it feel like you have zero health regen handicaps at all.
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, yes, that does seem like a really easy trap to fall into. You see 'vampire' and think ah, yes, of course! I'll have to dig into my bank and see what my main has already collected. . . then it's off to farm!

Thank you for the tips. :)
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also have a shelved magicka NB, because I tend to use super-easy to craft "one size doesn't really fit all" gear for all content on my characters.

I heard Argonian is good for ranged magblade PvP and is OK for PvE as damage dealer or healer. I've looked at the usual theorycrafters, but what I'm curious about is how hard farming the right gear with pugs would be. I see a lot of things in those builds like Amberplasm, Domihaus, Caluurion’s Legacy, etc.

It seems like it might take dozens of hours in "meh" gear to run such DLC dungeons (esp if you do vet) in pugs...
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • hellothere
    dont put any cp into health recovery, as a vampire you have 50-75% less health recovery so only rely on self heals/ group healers.
    Edited by hellothere on April 14, 2018 8:44PM
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    hellothere wrote: »
    dont put any cp into health recovery, as a vampire you have 50-75% less health recovery so only rely on self heals/ group healers.

That's a good reminder! I did find that CP into health recovery on my sorcerer wasn't reliable, and that was without any kind of health recovery deficiency. My findings have been that when things hit you as hard as they do when you're a little bit squishy, you're going to die if you're waiting for your health to recover by itself.
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I also have a shelved magicka NB, because I tend to use super-easy to craft "one size doesn't really fit all" gear for all content on my characters.

I heard Argonian is good for ranged magblade PvP and is OK for PvE as damage dealer or healer. I've looked at the usual theorycrafters, but what I'm curious about is how hard farming the right gear with pugs would be. I see a lot of things in those builds like Amberplasm, Domihaus, Caluurion’s Legacy, etc.

It seems like it might take dozens of hours in "meh" gear to run such DLC dungeons (esp if you do vet) in pugs...

Maybe I can help a little. Granted, I haven't PUGed since before Morrowind.

You're a step ahead of where I was when I started. I just had trash overland drop gear at the time. Not even the good stuff from the world bosses. I remember starting with the normal dungeons. My theory at the time was that I could get blue versions of the gear I was after, which would help me complete the vet content. It also gave me a better idea of what I may expect to see in the vet dungeons. As for how I actually performed in them, it was a mixed bag. I don't know whether it was cleverness or accident that resulted in my sorcerer being competent enough to perform, as opposed to my magblade, where it was an uphill battle that no one was winning. I think it does come down to getting really comfortable with your toon and doing a little research into where to allocate your resources. You may see better results than I did at the time with your crafted gear!

Now, the actual farming. Some nights I'd get lucky and get some really nice drops, and other nights, I'd end up with a whole bunch of things I wasn't necessarily looking for. The way I retained my sanity was that I eventually stopped grinding away for a particular piece for hours at a time, and instead just started doing the Undaunted pledges. Downside: I didn't end up with the Valkyn helm I wanted, which I will still need to get. Upshot: I have lots of neat little toys in the bank for my other characters, once they reach the appropriate level.

Maybe you could share your stats and the more knowledgeable forum denizens can help you. :) I don't mind you hijacking my thread.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you could share your stats and the more knowledgeable forum denizens can help you. :) I don't mind you hijacking my thread.
    Wasn't trying to hijack. Saw there was already a "shelved magicka NB thread" and was curious about the gear grind. Sounds like it's as bad as I suspected.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • ShadowMonarch
    ShadowMonarch
    ✭✭✭✭
    2h/resto(build in video) ---- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3GkR4QYouI

Desto/resto made for open world npcp. 5pc warmaiden5pcshacklebreaker1kena--- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxrcGkwSrn4

If you just want pve them im not sure what to tell you cause pve is just faceroll whatever and win.
    Edited by ShadowMonarch on April 15, 2018 11:16PM
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ShadowMonarch Awesome stuff! Thanks for sharing! You're right, now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing (largely thanks to people like you!), things are getting stupidly easy. It's a little alarming, actually!

I wanted to come back and thank all of you for the insights and discussion. This toon is still very much a work in progress, but I did some work with him today and things are already looking much better.