The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

quick question on a mechanic

KlotePino
KlotePino
✭✭✭
Hello guys:)

I've been leveling my first tank and I came across a set in a dungeon
http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Ice+Furnace+Set

I was wondering if this sets 5 trait ability triggers when you have frost damage enchants on your weapons or if I really need to use a frost damage skill.

Much appreciated, thanks in advance all that yada yada:)
  • Black12Jack44
    I had a similar question about what constitutes "fire damage" (i.e., is it all the same if it's from a skill, weapon, staff, etc) and basically was told that all types of fire damage across different methods are the same when it comes to these types of counts. So, I would guess that frost damage on your weapon would count to trigger this, although I would wait for more experienced players to confirm. I do see where it gets tricky here with the word "ability" used in the description of the set.
  • KlotePino
    KlotePino
    ✭✭✭
    Ah man, that's some comforting words:p Really would like it to work, but set seems kinda OP in some sence if it is, as it can trigger every single second. Combine that with a dual wield bar and you're set
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ice furnace is expecting a frost ability, being a skill that does frost damage.

It's different from something like Burning Spellweave, which is only looking for flame damage.

Ability may sometimes include Light and Heavy attacks, but it will not include any proc damage, such as a glyph or another set.

Regarding it's chance to be OP, it's still going to average <1k dps in single target situations. The contribution via AoE for mobs is not going to be terribly significant (1k per, before mitigation).
    Edited by Merlin13KAGL on April 25, 2018 6:33PM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like @Merlin13KAGL explained, the key phrase is "When you deal direct damage with a Frost Damage ability..." which gives us two caveats: the damage has to be direct damage (so not something like damage over time), and it has to be dealt with a frost damage ability. The damage does not even have to be frost, technically, as long as the direct damage is dealt by a frost damage ability (but all frost damage abilities deal frost damage, so the point is moot). Of course, this is all only if the tooltip is accurate and current. To my knowledge it is, but testing in-game is the only way to make sure, and testing it on PTS is the only way to surmise if it will be in the future.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • KlotePino
    KlotePino
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot for the information guys, really appreciated.:)
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, under almost all circumstances, the Ice Furnace set is garbage. You might have a niche use for it on a Warden Tank, but that's more for trolling value than actual damage. I mean, I do have pieces for my warden as a joke, but it shouldn't be used for anything approaching serious content.

The frost damage abilities is a very short list. The best possible outcome is the Warden ultimate. The ice shards ability is another option for wardens. Destruction staff abilities can proc this if you have a frost staff equipped, but that also comes with the frost staff's heavy attack taunt, which makes that instantly less appealing outside of PvP.

Along with the Ysgramor set, this one is not something you should use.
  • KlotePino
    KlotePino
    ✭✭✭
    Hahah okay, that's a fair answer, Imma just decon them then:p

Thanks for the answer:)
  • Wetshirt
    Wetshirt
    Soul Shriven
    I have the set on my on my warden tank. Got it yesterday and was really happy as I already have thunderbug's and valkyn skoria, and love proc sets in general, something else to use when I am not running VetDLC.

As mentioned above after getting it I tested it on a training dummy and it doesn't really proc. I used arctic blast and gripping shards but no trigger at all. Also tried Iceheart Monster set with no success.

Somehow though it procced once on a fight in Selene's Web and made up 0.7% of my DPS. The effect was shown as Frostfire if I recall correctly on my Combat Metrics.

As a conclusion I think it only procs from frost staff attacks or frost enchants, as I have no idea what else could be considered direct frost damage.
    Edited by Wetshirt on April 26, 2018 11:27PM