The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Best Wireless Router for ESO?

Cuwen
Cuwen
✭✭✭
I'm having to buy a new wireless router because my Linksys Cisco 1200 is a couple of years old and sucks. What wireless routers would you all recommend for playing ESO, one that can handle heavy MMORPG between two players on the same network?
  • Cuwen
    Cuwen
    ✭✭✭
    Also, how do the Linksys routers constantly get the best reviews on cnet? I swear they've got to be paying cnet off, which makes me not trust cnet's reviews anymore. I've had problems with mine, my parents had one that gave them nothing but fits (different model than mine).
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Netgear Nighthawk router. Our household always has at least two people gaming online, plus assorted other background wireless functions like phones/tablets/Netflix - and it's good.
  • Cuwen
    Cuwen
    ✭✭✭
    anadandy wrote: »
    Netgear Nighthawk router. Our household always has at least two people gaming online, plus assorted other background wireless functions like phones/tablets/Netflix - and it's good.

I've read that that one is the best, too, but apparently there's this v2 problem popping up with it now. V1 is apparently great, but Netgear has started swapping out the inner parts for cheaper ones. The only outward difference is a small v2 near the model number. Are you able to see if yours is v1 or v2?
  • XiDiabolismiX
    XiDiabolismiX
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the Netgear Nighthawk series, that’s the one I just bought, forgot which model but it works awesome.

• Cuwen
    Cuwen
    ✭✭✭
    Wait, do you mean 6700 or the 7000?
  • Cuwen
    Cuwen
    ✭✭✭
    I go onto Amazon, and only the 7000 pops up, but a lot of the customer reviews say that they got a version 2. Now I think they're referring to 6700 v2, not 7000 v2, because I don't think there is a v2 of the 7000, yet, but I'm not sure. Would any of you be able to check your model numbers, please??? It'd be very helpful!!
  • Blackleopardex
    Blackleopardex
    ✭✭✭✭
    9xZHEcx.jpg
    6 NB: Tank, Healer, Mag/Stam PVE&PVP.
    I don't read long signatures: https://www.youtube.com/user/Blackleopardex
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite Frankly, Wireless and Gaming are two things that should not go together.

This is the AP I use in my home, for all other purposes besides gaming

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Parental-Controls-Compatible/dp/B00F0DD0I6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524251734&sr=8-1&keywords=netgear+r7000
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Cuwen
    Cuwen
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you both so much!!! The picture is great and the link is awesome. confirms the one you use is r7000. I have to use wireless because both my friend and I play at the same time on the same network. My modem only has 1 Ethernet port.

What do the potatoes do?
  • Cuwen
    Cuwen
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Parental-Controls-Compatible/dp/B00F0DD0I6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524251734&sr=8-1&keywords=netgear+r7000

Does 1900 work well for you? I don't know which capacity to get. I have a long house, but where I usually like to game isn't terribly far from the router. But 1200 doesn't seem to be the best capacity, so I need larger. Just don't know how large.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the thing. Once the bandwidth of the router is more than the bandwidth of your ISP, then you are good to go. The lowest bandwidth of this one is 600Mb, I have yet to see an ISP provide that much to a consumer outside of a few select European and Asian countries. And I am not sure if those Gig circuits are EPON (shared) or dedicated to that speed. Anyway, this router is more than a match for any consumer ISP bandwidth.

I can't frankly discern any reason to go with a larger bandwidth unit than this. Also, it has high power so it can effectively kick people off the same channel so you get less interference. I am sure the more expensive units offer the same radio power, so you would be just paying for more bandwidth than you can't use.

Here is how you choose the best channel for a Wireless AP at your house

https://www.howtogeek.com/197268/how-to-find-the-best-wi-fi-channel-for-your-router-on-any-operating-system/
    Edited by Nestor on April 20, 2018 7:41PM

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuwen wrote: »
    Thank you both so much!!! The picture is great and the link is awesome. confirms the one you use is r7000. I have to use wireless because both my friend and I play at the same time on the same network. My modem only has 1 Ethernet port.

Just so you know, the back of the Netgear has Ethernet ports on it, so you can connect up to 5 devices with wired cables.

• Cuwen
    Cuwen
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you SO MUCH, Nestor!!! You've helped so much. I think my internet is 100 MB. Have to check when I get back. And the fact that it has 5 (!) ethernet ports is a big reason to get it. Thank you for your help!!
  • Colecovision
    Colecovision
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nestor nailed it. I went under the house and ran a cable. If that’s not your situation, I’m sorry. I had the nighthawk and it didn’t get the job done. The tool to make cables is like $45, and it’s really not that hard. You follow the directions on the package and you don’t even strip wires.

The game is better. Netflix is better. Try and figure out a way if you can.
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can't run direct ethernet, you're better off with a powerline adapter for gaming. Wifi is dead last for gaming.
    PC-NA Goat
  • Cuwen
    Cuwen
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really glad I asked! Cable making for Ethernet cords? Powerline adapter. Lots of options to look up!! I'm seriously wanting to do Ethernet now. However, does the Ethernet have to connect to the modem or can it connect to the router? My modem only has 1 Ethernet port but Nestor said the Nighthawk router has 5 ports. So is running from the router ok?
  • ookami007
    ookami007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nighthawk, hands down.
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cuwen wrote: »
    I'm really glad I asked! Cable making for Ethernet cords? Powerline adapter. Lots of options to look up!! I'm seriously wanting to do Ethernet now. However, does the Ethernet have to connect to the modem or can it connect to the router? My modem only has 1 Ethernet port but Nestor said the Nighthawk router has 5 ports. So is running from the router ok?

Just about any wifi router of quality has ethernet ports on top of wifi.

If it's possible it's better to direct connect via ethernet cables. I guess the thing to keep in mind is that most Cat X cable is rated for up to 100 meters. So... unless you live in a sprawling mansion estate you are in range of direct connecting to the router.
  • Elf_Boy
    Elf_Boy
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the thing. Once the bandwidth of the router is more than the bandwidth of your ISP, then you are good to go. The lowest bandwidth of this one is 600Mb, I have yet to see an ISP provide that much to a consumer outside of a few select European and Asian countries. And I am not sure if those Gig circuits are EPON (shared) or dedicated to that speed. Anyway, this router is more than a match for any consumer ISP bandwidth.

I can't frankly discern any reason to go with a larger bandwidth unit than this. Also, it has high power so it can effectively kick people off the same channel so you get less interference. I am sure the more expensive units offer the same radio power, so you would be just paying for more bandwidth than you can't use.

Here is how you choose the best channel for a Wireless AP at your house

https://www.howtogeek.com/197268/how-to-find-the-best-wi-fi-channel-for-your-router-on-any-operating-system/

File transfers between computers for one.

Win 10 for example has the ability to download updates to one computer and then share it throughout your local network.

Higher speed tends to support lower latency to the router which is still important.

Printer sharing and many more.

I agree with the above comments that wireless is not perfect for gaming. Any AC router of average quality or better will be of at least acceptable performance -depending on the local environment. The exact same router can perform very differently in two separate homes.

Buffalo makes some decent routers, so do other vendors as well.

Some of the newer routers have ofdm and other tricks that can help in many but not all locations.
    ** Asus Crosshair VI Hero, Ryzen 1800x, 64GB DDR4 @ 3000, GTX 1080 ti, 4K Samsung 3d Display m.2 Sata 3 Boot Drive, m.2 x4 nvme Game Drive **
  • klowdy1
    klowdy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta replace that linkskees rooter.
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wired connection anyday :p
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• Knowledge
    Knowledge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thou shalt not game wirelessly.
    Thou shalt not use laptops to game.
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    asus_rog_rapture_gt_ac5300_triband_1501022165000_1350974.jpg
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elf_Boy wrote: »
    File transfers between computers for one.

Win 10 for example has the ability to download updates to one computer and then share it throughout your local network.

Higher speed tends to support lower latency to the router which is still important.

Printer sharing and many more.

What you say is true in Theory, however the reality is, Windows to Windows file transfer speeds are never going to be more than 200 Mb/s. And, that is if you tweak it. Your typically looking at 50 Mb/s, and in some cases, it can be as low at 2 Mb/s. Note, if it's 2 Mb, then do some tweaking for your own sanity. Most Windows Updates are less than 100Mb in size, and even if they are not, your talking about a minute or two at the typical 50Mb/s rate. Unless you have a print server, even the slowest network connections are going to be faster than the printing process.

Latency issues are not always tied to speed, but can be. Packet loss is a more common cause, which Wireless is more susceptible to having as a problem. However, on the LAN side, even with 10Mb/s connections, Latency is not an issue.

So, anything above the AC1200 Netgear is just bragging for bragging sake. However, I think you need to go the AC1900 to get the higher power radios, which is a benefit in effectively removing your neighbors from your channel.

Edited by Nestor on April 21, 2018 1:32PM

• Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    6PCTyUZ.jpg

My ISP changed my plan, said I would need to use the router they gave me or the landline wouldn't work

I told them it was ok, I didn't really need the landline

Edited by Aisle9 on April 21, 2018 1:33PM
    Artemis Absinthe - DC magicka nightblade (PC - EU)
    Gruzosh Barrelsmasher - DC stamina sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Kew'bacca - AD stamina nightblade (PC - EU)
    Jebediah Orbrynn - DC magicka templar (PC - EU)
    Hold-Many-Bags - Mule DK, Promoted to main tank, occasionally stamDD
    Olaf Proudstache - Mule - No longer with us Now a Stamwarden healer
    Aglieglie Brazorf - AD magicka sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Rodolfo Lavandino - DC stamina, greatsword wielding, Jesus beam spamming, Redguard hybrid templar just a stamplar again (PC - EU)
    Lemmy Raise Master - EP stamina necromancer (PC - EU)

Scions of Dawn recruitment ad - PC EU multifaction PvE endgame raiding guild

LUI user - I can see you when you fap loot.

#SpellswordArmy
    #MakeSpellswordsGreatAgain

In the Game of PuGs you win or you ragequit

"Dip dip potato chip, dip dip potato chip"
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if the extra antennas are a marketing thing, or really do help wifi. It would make sense if the extra antennas helped, but I guess it all depends on how they run them.

They look cool though.