Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is there any way to make the fur on dreadhorn armor not red?

Nord_Raseri
Nord_Raseri
✭✭✭✭✭
I've seen pictures that ESO have that show the fur on dreadhorn armor as a natural brown color, yet no matter what I do all the fur stays red. Any thoughts?
Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.

Best Answers

• Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sadly, most fur on ESO armors stay same color when dying. Why is this so is unknown for me. I do not use most of costumes with such features as well, since fur remain color I dislike after I dye the rest.
    Answer ✓
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marginis wrote: »
    Enslaved wrote: »
    Sadly, most fur on ESO armors stay same color when dying. Why is this so is unknown for me. I do not use most of costumes with such features as well, since fur remain color I dislike after I dye the rest.

It's because, unlike many games, dyes do not change the color of the texture applied to the object, rather, they apply a layer, or filter, over the texture. On some textures, like cloth, this achieves a slightly off version of the dye color. On others, like metal it might apply more of a sheen than the dye color. Some dyes also are meant to be more translucent or opaque, or give off a specifically flat or shiny appearance when applied. This is likely meant to be a more realistic mechanic (and in some ways easier implemented), but it can annoy if you like consistency. I tend to just think of it as a restriction that, if you can work around it, shows some skill with some outfits. I, for example, pride myself on using different gold dyes on armor pieces of varying motifs in order to get a consistent gold color, because applying the same dye across all pieces changes the color from bronze to yellow to gray depending on the piece.

I get that, but in all pictures that zos has that I've seen shows the fur as a fur-like color, not a shiny metallic red.

There are inconsistencies from marketing or preliminary game assets or custom colored NPC gear, and it depends on the armor for some armors. On frostcaster, for example, it's usually pure white.
    Edited by Marginis on May 14, 2018 4:20PM
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
    Answer ✓
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what you are talking about - I have my ENTIRE dreadhorn set looking white... pics?
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rittings wrote: »
    Not sure what you are talking about - I have my ENTIRE dreadhorn set looking white... pics?

I'm on a ps4. not sure how to transfer pictures. I am talking about the fur on the heavy chest's shoulder and waist. The fur on the light and medium shoulders. And the fur on light, medium, and heavy feet and hands. All that ugly "champion" red.
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some materials, when dyed, do not significantly change their color, and VERY often do not change the dyed item to the exact color of the dye. Some parts of armor cannot be dyed, as each item is limited to 3 dyes. That's my guess as to what's happening (that's the reason why I don't use Dreadhorn style much), rather than a technical glitch or something like that.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm on a ps4. not sure how to transfer pictures. I am talking about the fur on the heavy chest's shoulder and waist. The fur on the light and medium shoulders. And the fur on light, medium, and heavy feet and hands. All that ugly "champion" red.

To extract a screenshot from PS4, use the share button to take a screenshot at the appropriate time, plug a USB drive into your PS4, go to the captures section, and transfer screenshots from that. Once you plug the USB device into your PC, simply upload the screenshot file to an image sharing site, which should have a forum code or link that you can post here.
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

To extract a screenshot from PS4, use the share button to take a screenshot at the appropriate time, plug a USB drive into your PS4, go to the captures section, and transfer screenshots from that. Once you plug the USB device into your PC, simply upload the screenshot file to an image sharing site, which should have a forum code or link that you can post here.

thank you
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some materials, when dyed, do not significantly change their color, and VERY often do not change the dyed item to the exact color of the dye. Some parts of armor cannot be dyed, as each item is limited to 3 dyes. That's my guess as to what's happening (that's the reason why I don't use Dreadhorn style much), rather than a technical glitch or something like that.

yeah, it seems there's no color bar that changes the fur. Which sucks because every picture of th dreadhorn set shown by Zos shows either grey or brown fur, while in game it's stuck in glossy red. oh well. *** out of luck.
  • Nightfall12
    Nightfall12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you dying armor or using the outfit system? because the outfit system may set it to the default lvl 1 mats which may drop the rubedite color...
    Ummm stuff… about stuff…or something.
  • Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think he means the Dreadhorn "Pauldrons", as you can only colour the horns on either side with the fur retaining its red coloration, in my personal opinion, you should try finding a red coloration for your armor which can blend in well with some nice dark colours on the side.
    "When the human race learns to read the language of symbolism, a great veil will fall from the eyes of men." ~Manly P. Hall
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you dying armor or using the outfit system? because the outfit system may set it to the default lvl 1 mats which may drop the rubedite color...

Yeah, using the outfit station. doesn't change the fur coloring from red even when it changes the rest to lvl 1.
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alpha-Lupi wrote: »
    I think he means the Dreadhorn "Pauldrons", as you can only colour the horns on either side with the fur retaining its red coloration, in my personal opinion, you should try finding a red coloration for your armor which can blend in well with some nice dark colours on the side.

also light shoulders, the waist on heavy chest(which is wierd because the waist is a silvery grey fur on the female, but red on male). the shoulders on heavy chest, and the hands and feet. And I do not want my armor to be a red coloration, if I did, there'd be no problem here. I want leather to look like leather, steel to look like steel, and fur to look like fur etc.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's because, unlike many games, dyes do not change the color of the texture applied to the object, rather, they apply a layer, or filter, over the texture. On some textures, like cloth, this achieves a slightly off version of the dye color. On others, like metal it might apply more of a sheen than the dye color. Some dyes also are meant to be more translucent or opaque, or give off a specifically flat or shiny appearance when applied. This is likely meant to be a more realistic mechanic (and in some ways easier implemented), but it can annoy if you like consistency. I tend to just think of it as a restriction that, if you can work around it, shows some skill with some outfits. I, for example, pride myself on using different gold dyes on armor pieces of varying motifs in order to get a consistent gold color, because applying the same dye across all pieces changes the color from bronze to yellow to gray depending on the piece.
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I get that, but in all pictures that zos has that I've seen shows the fur as a fur-like color, not a shiny metallic red.