Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Returning player super confused

april.eliza
april.eliza
Soul Shriven
So I can't even remember the last time I played ESO but my last trophy achievement was Jan 2016 so I assume around then. Obviously I am incredibly confused and a lot has changed considering I had to download about 50GB worth of updates.

I started a new character and I'm super confused as my old character's (Who is Level 49 although I swear I was Vet Rank 1 or 2) armour and weapons are either worse or equal to my new Level 4 character?! E.g. my L4 character has L3 Chest Heavy Armour with a rating of 2356 and my L49 character has L41 Blue Chest Heavy Armour with a rating of 2430? It's the same with the weapons, L4 character has a L2 One-Handed Iron Mace with 977 damage and L49 character has a L47 Green One-Handed Sword with 1048 damage?
Can anyone explain why my old Level 49 is basically hopeless now? And give a brief overview of what I need to know to play now? I assume there's a new ranking system as I constantly see players with some sort of white star by their name followed by numbers.

Any help appreciated!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, theres been a lot of changes since One Tamriel.

Real quick, Veteran ranks were removed and replaced entirely with Champion Points (CP). Anyone at Vet rank 16 jumped straight to CP 600, which was then the cap. Everyone else got the number of CP according to their Vet Rank. Unlike vet ranks, CP are account wide, so once you earn CP, you can use them on all characters.

At the same time, all the zones were opened to all players at any level, so all the enemies were leveled to CP 160. The gear cap was set at CP 160, equal to the old vet rank 16 gear.

Because all the enemies are leveled to CP 160, anyone below CP 160 is also battleleveled to CP 160. The battleleveling works similarly to how Cyrodiil used to battlelevel characters to vet rank 14. It takes into account your level and your gear, so the closer your gear is to your level, the more benefit you will get from battleleveling.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone explain why my old Level 49 is basically hopeless now?

It isn't. ZOS introduced level scaling, everyone is scaled to CP160 (formerly known as VR16) and low level characters are given some extra bonus so they can compete and make up for the lack of unlocked skills and set gear.
    Once your character actually reaches CP160, there will be no more level scaling.

Your level 49 is not hopeless, you just need to make sure the character has gear that is close to it's level in order to take full advantage of the level scaling.
    shades.gif
  • april.eliza
    april.eliza
    Soul Shriven
    Ahh that makes much more sense, thank you both! I've made sure my character is wearing gear close to her level now.