Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Opinion: Best racial choice for "All Around Average Joe"/completionist character?

thewaywardone
thewaywardone
✭✭✭
So I've been thinking that I need to settle and just go through this game.
I have six characters, all of whom has pretty much been leveled through events, which means I have yet to really experience game content.
I have decided to make a character to "complete" everything (probably not including PVP—just not for me; or Trials—I don't think I'm a good enough player for Trials).
This includes Dark Brotherhood and Thievery quests—which I enjoy so much that I plan to get BoW asap and then build Legerdemain up for pick-pocketing goodness.

Annnd, just to make things interesting—the class I'm most comfortable with playing (and surviving) is magicka DK. I don't mind "challenging" but I am preferring not "bang your head on the keyboard" challenging.

I was thinking Argonian, as I do have CP points (170-ish) and I can work toward that Alchemy perk.

Too boring to read: Advice for race for a magicka-based, thieving-centric, not interested in needing to min/max for end-game group content/pvp
PC/NA - Daytime player - Obnoxiously Casual Player - PVE/RP
  • commdt
    commdt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any. Did all this perfect thive/brotherhood achievements on my DK tank/ He also got emperor, did vMA, but his main purpose is for vet trials which I enjoy as a tank. Basically pick the role you want in vet trials (as youll come to this eventually), everything else can be facerolled with any class/race
    Rawr
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any will work.
    If you want a bonus for pickpocketing, Khajiit.
    If you want bonuses that sync well with MagDK, I like Dunmer.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dunmers wouldn't be a bad idea. Got magicka, fire damage, fire resistance and stamina. Good all around race.
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edit: misread question
    Edited by Apache_Kid on April 13, 2018 2:08PM
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As you will spend a lot of time with your main the most important thing is that you like them.

Racial bonuses get changed but as it stands now I would suggest an Argonian. Their potion passive gives great sustain to any build, they get a little bit of health and magicka which are always good, and if you are doing lots of exploring the the swift swimming is really nice. A dunmer has buffs to both magicka and stamina, so could work for almost any build.

However. I strongly suggest being a nightblade just for spammable invisibility. It makes the thieves/assassin quests much easier, and in PVE questing it lets you avoid combat to complete things faster. An argonian or dunmer strongly suit mag nightblade builds, although Altmer are another good option.
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • thewaywardone
    thewaywardone
    ✭✭✭
    Jim_Pipp wrote: »
    However. I strongly suggest being a nightblade just for spammable invisibility. It makes the thieves/assassin quests much easier, and in PVE questing it lets you avoid combat to complete things faster. An argonian or dunmer strongly suit mag nightblade builds, although Altmer are another good option.

You are not the first to suggest a magblade to me; I may have to give one a try.
    I've not gotten far on the stamina one listed in my signature; the gameplay style isn't for me insofar as dps goes; how similar is magicka?
    Edited by thewaywardone on April 13, 2018 2:17PM
    PC/NA - Daytime player - Obnoxiously Casual Player - PVE/RP
  • Caleb_Kadesh
    Caleb_Kadesh
    ✭✭✭
    So I've been thinking that I need to settle and just go through this game.
    I have six characters, all of whom has pretty much been leveled through events, which means I have yet to really experience game content.
    I have decided to make a character to "complete" everything (probably not including PVP—just not for me; or Trials—I don't think I'm a good enough player for Trials).
    This includes Dark Brotherhood and Thievery quests—which I enjoy so much that I plan to get BoW asap and then build Legerdemain up for pick-pocketing goodness.

Annnd, just to make things interesting—the class I'm most comfortable with playing (and surviving) is magicka DK. I don't mind "challenging" but I am preferring not "bang your head on the keyboard" challenging.

I was thinking Argonian, as I do have CP points (170-ish) and I can work toward that Alchemy perk.

Too boring to read: Advice for race for a magicka-based, thieving-centric, not interested in needing to min/max for end-game group content/pvp

Racial passives are not worth fretting over. Play the race that interests you if you are not interested in needing to min/max for end-game group content/pvp.
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one where u like the visuals most.
    Racials passives r only "needed" for leaderboardscores. The only important minmaxing to do is boobs and booty to max, belly to min (or whatever rows your boat).

For thieving, khajiit and bosmer get an advantage w/ the Stealthy passive. Combine w/ 5 Nightsilence and 3 night terror, u can pee on NPCs feet and they wont see u.
  • Shanjijri
    Shanjijri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Khajiit is the answer for everything in your life.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I heard wood elf’s were pretty good for thieves guild sneaky sneaky stuff.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My magplar healer is a Bosmer. My magsorc pet/lightning mage is a Bosmer. My bow/bow stamsorc is a Bosmer. They all do great. My advice? Choose the Best in Slot for Cute race. ;)
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • hellothere
    I recommend dunmer for Magicka dragon knight, they have extra fire damage and are Magicka based. But for thieving I recommend kajit as their base buff is 5% pickpocteting and they have the stealthy passive. Only problem with kajit is its stamina based
  • OrdoHermetica
    OrdoHermetica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like Redguard as an all-around race. Food buffs last longer, which is just plain convenient, and you basically never run out of Stamina (and when you do, you regain it quickly). Given how much time I spend running around in this game, and given how bad I am about remembering to eat food, it's a pretty sweet setup. Plus I also really like what ESO did with Redguard culture.

But if you like Magicka DK, I'd definitely recommend a Dunmer. Dunmer vampire MagDK will give you good survivability, good damage output, good self heals, and good stealth (from being a vampire).
    Edited by OrdoHermetica on April 15, 2018 4:27AM