The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Chapter II: Summerset - Lore Speculations...

• Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    Urgh. So according to Rich in one interview, there's a rift in Altmer society because of Ayrenn's decision to open the borders. The Court of Bedlam represents the traditionalists side and are the antagonists (e.g. at the Abyssal Geysers), and apparently they are allied with Mephala.

So we have another story of Daedric corruption in Altmer society. The most anti-Daedra there ever was.
    I am like... WHAT THE...?!

To sum up... The borders are not opened in order to counter the daedric attack, but the daedric attack occurs because of Ayrenn?... *facepalm*

lol you're right, it seems we'll have some Auridon 2.0 story on "how petty, corrupted and hypocritical the Altmer are" stuff -_-
    Faulgor wrote: »
    But maybe I'm wrong and there'll be a twist. Mephala's the great deceiver, after all.
    My hopes are quite low, since the bad taste that Auridon left me.
    But in a way, I can be nicely surprised.
    Edited by Ajaxandriel on April 5, 2018 10:52PM
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    Unfortunately I don't know much about ESO lore but playing the first two zones in the Aldmeri Dominion gives some hints that the Maormer are up to something. They want to conquer Summerset and are most likely heading towards Alinor.

At the same time where in midst of the Daedric War storyline that will bring us to the home of the Altmer.

Are Maormer allied with some Daedric forces? Is Ayrenn asking for help because the Maormer are about to conquer (and maybe destroy) Alinor/Artaeum? What do you think?

After reading the letter Aryenn sent to her cousin Alwinarwe. I am convinced that its going to be Veiled Heritance 2.0 on Summerset. According to Rich on the Playstations Underground gameplay video. The Geysers are tied to the Acolytes of Bedlam, who are against Aryenns decision to open up Summerset to foreigners.

The way the letter was written makes me think Aryenn is going to find herself once again betrayed by her closest allies for her very un-Altmer like thinking. Aryenn claims in the letter that Alwinarwe advised against opening up Summerset to foreigners, and it seems like Aryenn didnt learn from her experiences in Auridon and Grahtwood as shes doing it again but this time with the sacred island of Summerset.

I imagine there being some players that might not want to go back down this already travelled road. But I think it would make less sense for us to go to Auridon, have to deal with a racist group trying to overthrow the queen (because of her wanting to treat Bosmer and Khajiit as equals). Only to get to Summerset and the racism and backlash over opening up the island to be less severe than what we experienced on Auridon.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alarra: So kind of related to that, there's been a lot of talk among fans about how what we've seen of it doesn't really match, necessarily, how it's been described - like Alinor's buildings looking like insect wings? Is that a matter of just, it's hard to reflect that in the gameplay, or was that a deliberate design choice, or is it the unreliable narrator?

Matt Firor: Yeah, you mean picking certain lorebooks, cities looked a certain way, but they're not definitive, so, you know… I think Elder Scrolls is, at its heart – and Todd Howard says this all the time – if magic left Tamriel, no one would notice, because it's very mundane at its heart. It's like, there's poor Altmer pig farmers, like, it's not like the high elves are better than anyone else, they're just different, right? They’re not like the super race, or they would’ve been able to control all of Tamriel. They have their own thing going, and so they can't be that much more advanced than everyone else. It just doesn't make sense in the lore. So with that in mind, that’s how we came up with the architecture for them.
    http://en.uesp.net/wiki/General:Matt_Firor_&_Rich_Lambert_Summerset_Interview

Well, at least that clears everything up. I think it’s fair to say our expectations were too high. Turns out the Altmer are just arrogant hypocrites after all, and that anything more advanced than what we’ve seen would be unrealistic. Turns out the Altmer didn’t even build the psijiics tower.

Nevermind the telvanni and all the cool stuff they get. Pointing out inconsistencies conflicts with ZOS’s (and apparently Bethesda’s) “vision”.
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • Kajuratus
    Kajuratus
    ✭✭✭
    You have to wonder what the landscape of TES would look like if Bethesda Game Studios decided to make a game in Summerset instead of Morrowind back in 2002. We'd lose the uniqueness of the Dunmer, but we could have gotten something truly special with Summerset.
    So the Dark Elves have weird alien architecture, where people live in mushroom towers and the shell of a giant crab, but the High Elves, the pinnacle of technology, the most magically advanced race in Tamriel, are still stuck in slightly pretty, fairly tall stone buildings? Not even a hint of a glass city? Are stainless glass windows really enough to claim that a city is made of glass?
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »
    if magic left Tamriel, no one would notice, because it's very mundane at its heart.

Pffft. :D Tell that to: the Mage's Guild, the Psijic Order, every person who ever fought or was attacked by Daedra, anyone who has encountered any form of undead, anyone who has used the magical ability they got from the stars just for being born to turn invisible or paralyze someone, anyone who ever used their pants to fly, anyone who fought any sort of construct made of sand or stone, anyone who was turned into an animal, anyone of those aforementioned pig farmers who have pigs that glow in the dark, anyone who was ever knocked off a cliff because someone shouted at them loudly, anyone who swallowed a potion that instantly cured their illnesses and/or mended their wounds, anyone who has visited Vivec and seen the moonlet suspended in the sky...

I'm sorry Mr. Firor, I didn't realize Zenimax Online Studios was NOT a drug-free workplace! :o I will keep that in mind for every other interview you give, and endeavor to remember that you're probably stoned out of your mind when you're answering questions!
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if magic left Tamriel, no one would notice, because it's very mundane at its heart.

Pffft. :D Tell that to: the Mage's Guild, the Psijic Order, every person who ever fought or was attacked by Daedra, anyone who has encountered any form of undead, anyone who has used the magical ability they got from the stars just for being born to turn invisible or paralyze someone, anyone who ever used their pants to fly, anyone who fought any sort of construct made of sand or stone, anyone who was turned into an animal, anyone of those aforementioned pig farmers who have pigs that glow in the dark, anyone who was ever knocked off a cliff because someone shouted at them loudly, anyone who swallowed a potion that instantly cured their illnesses and/or mended their wounds, anyone who has visited Vivec and seen the moonlet suspended in the sky...

I'm sorry Mr. Firor, I didn't realize Zenimax Online Studios was NOT a drug-free workplace! :o I will keep that in mind for every other interview you give, and endeavor to remember that you're probably stoned out of your mind when you're answering questions!

Maybe if he was stoned he could come up wirh something more creative.
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The Mages Guild, Psijic Order, anyone that ever fought or was attacked by Daedra. These could all be summed up as less than 1% the population of Tamriel. Remember that the actual size of Tamriel, its provinces, cities and towns are not representative of what we see in game. The population of Tamriel is likely far larger than what we ever see in these games. Unless you think it normal that a city can be called a city with 30 or less NPCs.
    Edited by Korah_Eaglecry on April 12, 2018 1:26AM
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Mages Guild, Psijic Order, anyone that ever fought or was attacked by Daedra. These could all be summed up as less than 1% the population of Tamriel.

You're forgetting the Planemeld already? And if you want to quote numbers, cite a source, because as it is you're making that numbers up out of whole cloth.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.