The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Really do not like the use of @accountname for communicating and guilds.

Reavan
Reavan
✭✭✭
Title.
Never before have I seen a game where they use account names for such things, every single other game I have been in mmowise has used character names and in gw2 char name then reference name afterwords.

Everywhere I type it's saying @(random collection of letters name) instead of the name I chose at creation of my char.
I understand this is an effort to include your alts in one system or what ever but I have always used my acount name as a way to prevent people guessing it, it has nothing related to the char names I use and on purpose.

I am not sure if this is a game breaker for me as the game just started but if people start calling me something like hamman53421 instead of Reav I will be very very pissed off with ZM.
At least give us the option to choose which name we can use, if I could change my stupid account name I would but I can't remember anywhere stating that name was going to be used so much in game.

Dissapointed with it I am.
Edited by ZOS_TristanK on April 1, 2014 5:59AM
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just so you know, this is the Q&A forum - not a feedback forum.
    Therefore it's pretty unlikely this will be taken notice of.

A fair few people have complained about this issue, not only because it can be confusing, but because it makes your account less secure.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inversus wrote: »
    Just so you know, this is the Q&A forum - not a feedback forum.
    Therefore it's pretty unlikely this will be taken notice of.

A fair few people have complained about this issue, not only because it can be confusing, but because it makes your account less secure.

Well , i dont know how zenimax is handling the players feedback , but i have seen the mods quite active and responsive , im sure they noticed atleast.

We can assume they will pass this to the devs eventually if many complain.
    Edited by Nox_Aeterna on March 31, 2014 4:02PM
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Reavan
    Reavan
    ✭✭✭
    There is no general discussion board another thing that I am not happy with.
    No alliance war specific either.

I think the game is really nice and my guild of 23 people of which I am leader so far seem to enjoy it too.
    These small things though could do with a big revert on the stance they took with them.
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're trying to be constructive for the game, then posting feedback in the Q&A section is not the way to go about it.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • myblackbox123
    myblackbox123
    ✭✭
    I agree with the OP.

About 99% of the games out there insist that players keep user ID and passwords confidential. I'm very wary of having half of my account information made public to the guild. This needs to be changed ASAP.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice if we were given the option of using an account name alias of some sort instead of the actual word we login with. I have no intention of joining a guild not composed of RL/trustworthy friends as it stands.
    Edited by Shimond on March 31, 2014 4:26PM
  • RustyBlades
    RustyBlades
    ✭✭✭
    There is an alliance war section, just no general discussion. Neverwinter, STO, and of course Champions online use the @accountname suffix. I prefer it. The logic is when your Sir Bacons A-lot name is taken by someone who will never log in again, you can have Sir Bacons A-lot, too. For guilds that shows who the guild invited vs the character.
  • Reavan
    Reavan
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is in eso you can't take a name if its been taken by another char anyway so what?
    Whats the purpose? I really don't get the understanding.
    They should let us select a name thats different to account name to represent us and be able to change that.
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has its advantages.

Only need one guild invite for all characters.
    If someone joins your guild hoping to spy on your pvp plans, we can see they have logged in and where they are.

And you can change your UserID with a simple email (which I have done)

It also means you need 10 players to start a guild, not a couple of people with loads of alts.

If you use a decent password, there's no real security risk, it sends you a security check email before it let's you log on from a new ip address.
  • Northman
    Northman
    ✭✭
    I'm thorn on this issue myself. It's nice to not needing to tag people's alts for everyone since they all share a common name. Same time its the matter of account security, which is the only legit reason i don't like it other then if i would've had asfasas as an account name. Would've been nice if it said " Northman" in chat instead of "@northman" in the chat, the whole @ included in the chat log is unneserary.
    Edited by Northman on March 31, 2014 7:07PM
  • Reavan
    Reavan
    ✭✭✭
    Ojustaboo wrote: »
    It has its advantages.

Only need one guild invite for all characters.
    If someone joins your guild hoping to spy on your pvp plans, we can see they have logged in and where they are.

And you can change your UserID with a simple email (which I have done)

It also means you need 10 players to start a guild, not a couple of people with loads of alts.

If you use a decent password, there's no real security risk, it sends you a security check email before it let's you log on from a new ip address.
    Email who, tell me as i seriously need it.
  • tallenn
    tallenn
    ✭✭✭
    I actually kind of like it, but it shouldn't be the same account name you use to login. Each account should have a public account name, that everyone uses to communicate with them, and a private account name, that you use to login to the game and your account on the web site.
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, this isn't new to MMOs.

Also, this isn't a feedback section.
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • byghostlightrwb17_ESO
    I hate it
    1) when I play an MMO i am playing a character, not my account name. I want to be known by that name.
    2) I hate that people now know half my game login (sure no different than someone knowing your email) but it just seems wrong.
    3) I dont want all my alts in guild, some days I just want to hide
    4)having to see a bunch of stupid and lame names like "ezy445nOOb" and the like
    Edited by byghostlightrwb17_ESO on April 1, 2014 3:02AM
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    This shows a complete disconnect from the devs and the gaming world. It's really such a blunder that its hard to figure. Linking alts is one thing and open to discussion, but publishing your account log in name is just plain stupidity.

Fix it or you will lose many of your players. This lack of attention causes many people to leave a game. I won't be adding my credit card info to this company till it's not an issue. I will play the game for the time I have from my Amazon download, but not going to put my credit info on a website this badly run. Worse than Obama Care.org.

Foolish.
    The number one rule of online gaming is now and has always been, Never play on Patch Day.
  • vanillexhope
    vanillexhope
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing names like @ joebobwashere in chat are a harsh reminder that I'm playing a game. I play a fantasy game to escape from the real world for a bit. This game is so beautiful but these names are a blight.
    Edited by vanillexhope on April 1, 2014 3:21AM
  • StopThi5
    StopThi5
    ✭✭✭
    At first I was with the OP, however, I feel at this point it does not matter much since the security checks are in place that check your IP and force a security code to email in order to access account. Ultimately its all going to depend on your password for your account and your email address. If you are using a garbage password, it's your own fault for getting hacked.
  • StopThi5
    StopThi5
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing names like @ joebobwashere in chat are a harsh reminder that I'm playing a game. I play a fantasy game to escape from the real world for a bit. This game is so beautiful but these names are a blight.

I think any chat interface pulls you out of immersion to some extent. Not sure the @username makes any difference when my chat is being blown up with WTS and gold miner spam.
  • EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree with the OP. Not a nice trend in MMOs. I can understand them using the account name like that but why can't they allow an alias to be used in game so that our interaction with others can be with a character name not an email name.

For a game investing so much on immersion factors in every other way it's more than a little odd to see everyone in game represented as an email prefix. Please add a way for us to use an alias in game!
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hate this account name crap. I hate seeing it in guild chat, roster and freinds list.
    There is already alot of disconnect in socialization as it is.
    There is an alliance war section, just no general discussion. Neverwinter, STO, and of course Champions online use the @accountname suffix. I prefer it. The logic is when your Sir Bacons A-lot name is taken by someone who will never log in again, you can have Sir Bacons A-lot, too. For guilds that shows who the guild invited vs the character.

I dont know about STO, but Neverwinter by default shows the Character names first THEN the @handle. (and they arent usually visible unless you mouse over thier names or set a specific option in chat)

I wouldnt care so much if the ESO handled it by reverse. Showing character names, and then showing the @handle on mouse over. But the @handle is also people's login username. So Im against this @handle crap completely.
  • ZOS_TristanK
    ZOS_TristanK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, all. We really do appreciate player feedback. Just because we're not in beta doesn't mean we won't constantly be striving to improve ESO! We ask that you folks please submit this feedback in-game as well using the /feedback command. Submitting your feedback in-game will give it the highest level of visibility. Thank you!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Morlach
    Morlach
    Soul Shriven
    it is one of the most stupid design decisions in any MMO I have played.
    <insert attention seeking 100 line signature here>
  • jgrackleflintub17_ESO
    I actually came here to see if there was a way to turn it off but I guess not. Will leave feedback in game.
  • Reavan
    Reavan
    ✭✭✭
    No way to turn it off.
    Some guy said it here and a guildie told me zm were changing peoples names if they wanted, i filed a support ticket but nothing so far.
    Edit, had just woke up there is a procedure to get it changed ill link what parts of the method i can later.
    Got it via email.
    Edited by Reavan on April 1, 2014 12:05PM