The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Zenimax, you need to let me change my account name. It's personal information made public.

Vectur
Vectur
Pretty much what the title says. You need to let me change my account name. I have already pre ordered the Imperial Digital Edition, and have started playing, only to realize that when I talk in guild chat, my personal information is flashed across the screen of every player in that guild.

-I was not told before signing up that my account name would be shown in game
-It is absurd that this cannot be changed. It is my entire full name and last digits of my social. I cannot fathom why you would put this into a MMO and have it accessible by possibly millions because you're too stubborn to let people change their account names.

Please, remedy this.
  • Benji
    Benji
    Please allow to use something less personal than UserID ingame. It is a potential hack threat considering that it is what one uses to log in to an account. Let it be an alias or may be the forum name.
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    It will also show this info to your friends list as well as anyone that ignores you in chat.
    The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Hey Jute, get in my bag
    Take a lag spike and make it better
    Remember to let research play its part
    Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House
  • Vectur
    Vectur
    Or even..*gasp*..your in game character name hahahaa?
  • Gwynde
    Gwynde
    ✭✭
    They will change your User ID – just lodge a ticket. It's in the Support FAQ: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7236/kw/change user id
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rather than get angry and make false accusations, how about spending 30 secs searching this site.

Putting in "user id" under their support search returned the following as the first response
    CAN I CHANGE MY USERID

Yes. A player can now have the UserID on their account changed. In order to complete this change, a player must contact Customer Support and be able to verify their account. Often, this type of change is requested maliciously in an effort to steal an account, so the utmost security is in place to ensure the security of each player's account information.

Once the account has been verified, a player will be able to work with Customer Support to make updates to the account information. It is a good idea to have a few UserID options ready prior to contacting Customer Support. This ensures that you leave the interaction with an acceptable UserID (in case your first choice is already taken). Please keep the following in mind when selecting a new UserID:

The UserID will be shared with other players in-game.
    Must contain 3 to 20 characters and start with a letter.
    May contain alphanumeric [a-z, A-Z, 0-9] characters. Each character can repeat no more than 3 times.
    A single period, hyphen, apostrophe, and underscore are allowed.
    UserID cannot start or end with symbols.
    UserID cannot contain spaces.
    For additional details on securing an account, take a look at: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/68/
  • Vectur
    Vectur
    How does one contact customer support and get this initiated?
  • Persephone
    Persephone
    Soul Shriven
    @Vectur

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/

Click on one of the Ask for Help options on the right side (you can do this on the main help page or any of the help pages)
    Edited by Persephone on April 1, 2014 6:47AM
  • darkkterror_ESO
    darkkterror_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You probably shouldn't use your entire name and last four of your SSN as an account name for...well, anything.
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forsee the massive QQ about Battlenet tags all over again.
    Vectur wrote: »
    -I was not told before signing up that my account name would be shown in game
    Yes you were, you didn't read it as others have pointed out.
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You probably shouldn't use your entire name and last four of your SSN as an account name for...well, anything.

Agree 100%
  • eric_linnemannb16_ESO
    I have this problem with the forum name they gave me
  • ChanceofRust
    ChanceofRust
    ✭✭

I honestly thought this was going to turn out to be a joke for this reason. Even if the public never saw it, no matter how much I trust a company I wouldn't be putting that information into their system when I can choose not to. I feel bad this happened to the OP, but I can't fathom the reasoning to use that information in the first place.

• Celedaen
    Celedaen
    Soul Shriven
    You can change your forum name from your profile (link next to inbox).

And you should, since the default forum name is derived from your e-mail id.
  • Ashers
    Ashers
    I understand the concept behind the UserID thing, however it should be limited to people you know well to add you by your account rather than character name for guild/friends lists etc. Much like WoW and the BattlenetID
  • lioslinn
    lioslinn
    ✭✭✭
    I thought everyone used nicknames, I have 3-4 i use in all online activity. I can`t believe someone would use their real name. Then again I`ve been on the web forever, guess not everyone is web savvy. Yes please never use your real name online!! Unless it`s your bank, income tax etc. Everything else - nickname!
    reality.sys corrupted-reboot universe [y/n] _
  • Felarrond
    Felarrond
    ✭✭✭
    Not only that, but it's been this way since Beta, and this information has been circulating for a while.